View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 12:03 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/9/181...-sylvanas-lore

Quote:
Was Sylvanas behind it?

Polygon recently had the opportunity to sit down with Steve Danuser, senior narrative designer on World of Warcraft, and Steve Burke, senior designer and assistant quest lead. While we covered a variety of topics, one of the first things I asked was about Sylvanas and the Wrathgate — after all, it wouldn’t be the first time a designer had misspoke or used shorthand before. I asked up front: Was Sylvanas behind the Wrathgate?

“Sylvanas engineered the Blight in the first place, but she wasn’t the one who deployed it,” said Danuser. This is backed up by what we know in the game. Sylvanas spent most of her time in vanilla World of Warcraft trying to engineer a biochemical weapon by using Forsaken alchemists, and she gave the OK to experiment on living test subjects. Putress is the face of the Wrathgate attack, and most players have assumed the entire attempt was his initiative.

“There are interesting story threads behind the question of who was at fault,” Danuser says, suggesting that the ultimate order might not have come from Putress at all. He notes that Varimathras, a long-time advisor of Sylvanas who betrayed her and was slain during Wrath of the Lich King, only to return during Legion, had some “interesting” things to say about Sylvanas.

To Alliance players, Varimathras says:

Quote:
So, your Alliance still endures. Longer than I expected, though she has already planted the seeds of its downfall. She is patient, that one.

When your thrones run red with betrayal... when your holy places burn and the shattered mask hangs above your hearth... only then you will know. And it will be too late.

It matters not. You are blind to the true darkness closing in around you.
Horde players get a different, equally ominous message:

Quote:
So, she found me at last. Sent her underlings to finish the job.

Tell me, when she seized your throne of hides and bones, was your allegiance forced? No ... I’d wager you surrendered it willingly... or were convinced you did.

It matters not. You are blind to the darkness in your midst.
So, did Sylvanas give the order and engineer the Wrathgate?

“We’re not saying one way or another,” Danuser said. “We want you to see how the story plays out in the chapters to come. Sylvanas has certainly had an interesting history, and looking back at the choices she made is something we want the players to look back at and revisit.”

Either way, it seems as though Afrasiabi’s statement was very deliberate.

The current patch in Battle for Azeroth features Sylvanas up to some very shady plans in the war against the Alliance, which she kickstarted by burning the Night Elven capital of Teldrassil. The upcoming raid, Battle of Dazar’Alor, will continue the battle between both player factions.