View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 04:03 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
/shrug

You can declare victory all you like but that does not make it so. I have laid out my thinking and you have yours and the people reading will draw their own conclusions from that.

But what is even your goal here? To assert that Nazism is bad? Yeah no shit we all agree with that. But if you set out to make it out as 100% evil for evil's sake then people will just roll their eyes and move on. It was horrible, probably the most horrible thing in history but it was not 100% evil. It had its good sides, if only for the ethnic Germans but still. That is how it got to power, by seeming like a good idea to a large number of people and not by some cartoonish evil. If you set out to make it even worse than it already is you don't gain much, most people will just raise their hands, declare it evil and move on. But that is a bad approach since if people don't understand how it happened they don't understand how it can happen again and can't defend against it. That is why truth matters and even twisting it in hopes of achieving a good result is a bad idea.
Yeah, I don't buy it. I don't think Genesis is "twisting" the truth to make Nazis seem worse than they really were. Pretty sure they really were that bad. I don't think Genesis at any point downplayed our shared humanity with Nazis, or suggested that it couldn't happen again. I think the point is that humans are very much capable of cartoonish evil, as you put it.

That they had some sort of redeeming quality or common humanity is not really the point. It's like saying slave owners from the American South really loved their children, so they can't be all that bad. When you say things like that it's seems like equivocating. This is just how it comes across to me.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.

Last edited by Saranus; 02-06-2019 at 04:06 PM..