Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 03-02-2019, 09:23 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Presumably it means he was extremely susceptible to being swayed by ideas that fed into his own preconceptions and rigidly opposed to those that didn't. So Garrosh was dangerously receptive to individuals like Malkorok who sold their methods and ideas as endorsements of his own, while at the same time being reflexively dismissive of anything people like Cairne, Vol'jin or Baine had to say that didn't reinforce what he already believed.

He was arguably like Arthas in those regards. Easily goaded. Poorly suited to dealing with frustration. Unstable temperament in the face of defeat. Neither of them responded well to conflicting ideas and opinions, either ignoring, dismissing or punishing such out of hand. Conversely, both of them ate it up far too readily whenever someone reaffirmed their preconceptions. Even when that meant (in Arthas' case) basically ignoring allies and being led around by enemies.
This just doesn't feel like 'weak core' to me, I've said it before and I'll say it again Arm, you're much better at rationalizing Blizz's words and actions than they actually are, and no one should have to bend over backwards the way you do to get that analysis.

Also, in universe, I'll never get over how they made Geyah have basically no influence on Garrosh.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-02-2019, 09:43 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
This just doesn't feel like 'weak core' to me, I've said it before and I'll say it again Arm, you're much better at rationalizing Blizz's words and actions than they actually are, and no one should have to bend over backwards the way you do to get that analysis.

Also, in universe, I'll never get over how they made Geyah have basically no influence on Garrosh.
Well, consider that by telling him how great his dad was and snapping him out of his long malaise in such a manner, Thrall arguably provided Garrosh with an excuse to think that just maybe the scolding Frostwolf elder and her peers who'd spent all those years condemning Grom Hellscream and the Horde didn't really know what they were talking about all along.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:29 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Well, consider that by telling him how great his dad was and snapping him out of his long malaise in such a manner, Thrall arguably provided Garrosh with an excuse to think that just maybe the scolding Frostwolf elder and her peers who'd spent all those years condemning Grom Hellscream and the Horde didn't really know what they were talking about all along.
That doesn't seem representative of his relationship with Geyah though, he seemed to genuine care about and respect her and she encouraged him.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-03-2019, 01:57 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
That doesn't seem representative of his relationship with Geyah though, he seemed to genuine care about and respect her and she encouraged him.
Actually, Geyah sadly kinda predicted Garrosh's path in an ingame dialogue.

Quote:
He has lost his heart, you know. He tells me that I am his balance. That without me, the bloodlust that consumed his father and ultimately cursed our people would take him over.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/A_Visit_With_the_Greatmother

Oh and......

Quote:
Garrosh can lead the Mag'har. He is strong and wise. All of the spirits approve of him. He just needs to believe in himself. He fears so much... He fears so deeply that if he lets himself go, his rage will consume him and all that would be near him.
Anakin, is that you?
Old 03-03-2019, 07:47 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Actually, Geyah sadly kinda predicted Garrosh's path in an ingame dialogue.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/A_Visit_With_the_Greatmother

Oh and......

Anakin, is that you?
That was more Garrosh's prediction than Geyah's and it's kind of what I'm talking about. What kind of story has Geyah be -wrong- that Garrosh will shape up after all that?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-03-2019, 08:37 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
That was more Garrosh's prediction than Geyah's and it's kind of what I'm talking about. What kind of story has Geyah be -wrong- that Garrosh will shape up after all that?
Geyah could have refused to believe her ward could go so wrong. It's a common trope. Remember Terenas? "What are you doing, my son?"

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 03-03-2019, 08:53 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Geyah could have refused to believe her ward could go so wrong. It's a common trope. Remember Terenas? "What are you doing, my son?"
Arthas had a goddamn dreadlord go after him though.

Geyah being wrong is an assault on essentially the orcs entire society and belief system because she, the person who was against all the evil old horde crap, and the spirits, and Garrosh who demonstrated REMARKABLE Self Awareness... all seem to lose their goddamn minds in Cata to WoD.

It's just... destructive to the fantasy of playing as an Orc and the Horde as a whole.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-03-2019, 08:59 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Arthas had a goddamn dreadlord go after him though.

Geyah being wrong is an assault on essentially the orcs entire society and belief system because she, the person who was against all the evil old horde crap, and the spirits, and Garrosh who demonstrated REMARKABLE Self Awareness... all seem to lose their goddamn minds in Cata to WoD.

It's just... destructive to the fantasy of playing as an Orc and the Horde as a whole.
Actually, Garrosh and his appointed lieutenants were already doing some pretty shady stuff in WotLK.

He went from the depressed guy fearing his rage would destroy everything to the raging guy that wanted to destroy everything.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:05 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Actually, Garrosh and his appointed lieutenants were already doing some pretty shady stuff in WotLK.

He went from the depressed guy fearing his rage would destroy everything to the raging guy that wanted to destroy everything.
I don't know what that 'actually' is supposed to be referring to.

My entire point is it was stupid to have Garrosh and his 'generation' of orcs be stupid-evil and it has been destructive to the fantasy of playing Horde.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-03-2019, 09:18 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I don't know what that 'actually' is supposed to be referring to.

My entire point is it was stupid to have Garrosh and his 'generation' of orcs be stupid-evil and it has been destructive to the fantasy of playing Horde.
It's that you said the shift happened on Cataclysm, I just pointed it began immediately after TBC.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:29 PM

World Builder

Quote:
It's that you said the shift happened on Cataclysm, I just pointed it began immediately after TBC.
Okay but it's kind of a moot point.

It was a dumb decision either way.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Hippogryph

Hmm...the Vulpera helping the Zandalari?
Old 03-09-2019, 09:59 PM

World Builder

WHY is it too far exactly?

I mean... this was literally less evil than everything the Horde's done.

I am so tired of this false equivalency.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-09-2019, 11:57 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Kiro knows nothing of the factions' track record.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:17 AM

Loremaster

I just don't get this sense of the Zandalari as a group being their friends or something.

They may not have been enemies of the Vulpera, but frankly the Zandalari used Vol'dun as a dumping ground for their exiles, so the interaction between the Vulpera and the Zandalari there has consisted primarily of the former being under threat from the latter's discarded criminal refuse.

The Zandalari seemed to basically ignore anything going on in Vol'dun, letting the Faithless and exiles run roughshod over the place unopposed, so why this sudden "our poor Zandalari neighbors" attitude from Vulpera? When it comes right down to it they barely even know the Zandalari. Really through the player's aid they arguably know the Horde better than they know the Zandalari.

Last edited by ARM3481; 03-10-2019 at 12:20 AM..
Old 03-10-2019, 12:23 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Kiro knows nothing of the factions' track record.
Kiro knows little about much of anything outside Vol'dun I'd imagine.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-10-2019, 01:38 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
I just don't get this sense of the Zandalari as a group being their friends or something.

They may not have been enemies of the Vulpera, but frankly the Zandalari used Vol'dun as a dumping ground for their exiles, so the interaction between the Vulpera and the Zandalari there has consisted primarily of the former being under threat from the latter's discarded criminal refuse.

The Zandalari seemed to basically ignore anything going on in Vol'dun, letting the Faithless and exiles run roughshod over the place unopposed, so why this sudden "our poor Zandalari neighbors" attitude from Vulpera? When it comes right down to it they barely even know the Zandalari. Really through the player's aid they arguably know the Horde better than they know the Zandalari.
I don't see that as an issue. You see lots of contradicting declarations of support in real life, as well.

If I'm not mistaken, that's pretty much a trademark of Warcraft's story as well.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:52 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
I don't see that as an issue. You see lots of contradicting declarations of support in real life, as well.

If I'm not mistaken, that's pretty much a trademark of Warcraft's story as well.
Okay but

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...yIsUnrealistic

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-10-2019, 09:50 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

That's the kind of declaration that makes me expect Kiro to be an undercover Taran Zhu.

Besides, the Zandalari have been at war with the entire world since Cataclysm and now they've allied with the Horde. What Kiro should be wondering is why the Alliance took so much time to come kill Rastakhan.

Also, since Ive come back and played a bit of BFA, Id just like to point out that Ive tried to play Horde and I really just can't stand it when the faction is now basically the unholy alliance of the Scourge and Iron Horde. Add to that the Zandalari and it seems the Horde is now just about every expansion's vilains we've faced. This is ridiculous. If you want to play a decent Horde, you've got to limit yourself to Outland and Northrend (which is what I actually do on my monk).
Old 03-10-2019, 01:08 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
WHY is it too far exactly?

I mean... this was literally less evil than everything the Horde's done.

I am so tired of this false equivalency.
What equivalency? He wasn’t comparing the Alliance and Horde. You are. Kiro is just calling events as he sees them. And he’s right. Killing Rastakhan was an objectively bad move. It turned a legitimate military operation into an assassination, and a fairly ineffective one at that.

What was the Alliance’s objective at Dazar’Alor? Breaking the Golden Fleet and establishing naval dominance? Great! They accomplished that within the first cinematic. They could have turned around right there and called it a success. Of course we wouldn’t have gotten our raid, but the Alliance would have gotten an arguably superior result. Rastakhan, weak as he is, would now have ample grounds to withdraw support from the Horde, citing how he no longer has the naval strength to participate in this War. By killing Rastakhan, the Zandalari are now provoked, and are obviously joining the Horde whole-heartedly. I imagine the Alliance thought that if they challenged him in his Throne Room, that would be Check Mate, which does NOT involve killing a King, but rather capturing him. Rastakhan wasn’t playing Chess. This does not mean the Alliance gets a free pass on killing a king. There are consequences for that. For being the faction with knights, and supposedly the faction that is civilized, the Alliance too often fails in its chivalry and does not control itself with Rules of Engagement, and suffers for it. They lose their morals in the face of a foe that they see as immoral, justifying their behavior with the bad behavior of their enemies, and forgetting that these rules are there for a reason.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:37 PM

Arch-Druid

Old 03-12-2019, 05:01 PM

Huntress

This expansion has now released as many playable races that were available in vanilla.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:41 PM

Troubadour

Stuff I've noticed in 8.1.5:

It seems that Drust Magic = Death Magic. I'd just ignore Afrasiabi at this point.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:44 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Too little, too late

Baine cannot recover from the bad lore in Cata and Mop, he's all talk until it comes to helping the Alliance and he's not done anything notable to help the horde

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-13-2019, 12:35 AM

Eternal

I have to say, I really liked that the motivation given by Baine was about the Earth Mother dying while we incessantly fight, not about honor. It ties directly to Tauren culture, but more importantly, it's an actually tangible reason, whereas honor is more an abstract concept that's further generally not well understood by modern audiences.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft