Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-11-2010, 08:35 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
ÖI canít believe Iím defending Knaak.
It's like what Churchill said about Soviet Russia. If Hitler invaded hell, you'd feel sorry for the devil.

As for Knaak... uhh... well he probably gets a lot of criticism. As usual, all the crappy illegitimate criticism gets the most attention because it's easy to deflect.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
You also continue to post here despite what I would be forced to categorize as a very negative reputation and get almost constant ridicule from a variety of posters. You probably arenít the best individual to gauge how the effects of public opinion weigh on an author.

We all know a writer canít please everyone all the time, but I know I like to have positive feedback, regardless of whether its fiscally rewarding or not. I think Knaak does listen to critics, as Iíve seen certain developments from him that at least tangentially reflect an effort to redress criticisms that have been lobbed at him.

ÖI canít believe Iím defending Knaak.
Well my opinion is from his and Blizzard's view, the important thing to judge his work, as the author of warcraft novels is: Did the players/fans spend their bucks on your work rather than how did some of them say about it. Do you think Blizzard will take some criticism over the selling?

I can see some good points in his recent books, but I really think over all, NotD and Stormrage are worse than his earlier works. Sure he might think "yeah let me try to improve a LITTLE" after heard those, but if his income get seriously affected because his works' quality, we'll see a big improvement for sure. The odd thing is: Despite the "top 150 hard cover books", "The Shattering"'s price was greatly cut off before its release, maybe this got something to do with Stormrage's quality, this may be the real thing that will force him to change.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Well my opinion is from his and Blizzard's view
You are in no position to tell us Blizardís view, and certainly not to tell us what Knaakís personal view is. Donít even try.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
You are in no position to tell us Blizardís view, and certainly not to tell us what Knaakís personal view is. Donít even try.
Sure, just take it as my own opinion if you want.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:22 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I really hope they get Jeff back.
I dearly hope so. And I wish Tracy Hickman could come back and write a book for Warcraft, too. We have enough Knaak and Golden's. Golden is great, but I just wish there could be more to expect.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Arch-Druid

I hope they stop releasing these stupid novels all together!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Eternal

I always liked how he wrote the dragon aspects. His depictions of them is my favorite aspect of his books.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
I always liked how he wrote the dragon aspects. His depictions of them is my favorite aspect of his books.
Deathwing is pretty good, others are...I think Yesera's performance in Stormrage is too silly.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:32 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Bwhahahahahahaha.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:57 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
I see what you did there.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

My problems with our two authors:

Knaak:

-He's too "action" and not enough "text". I completely assumed this with Shadow Wing, I read the damn manga in like an hour. His stories need more depth, and less repeating the same text over and over, it gets boring and gets you angry because you realize the story hasn't advanced anything in half of the book.

-Description of the enviroment. He needs more work on this, imo. Maybe it's just because all of his books were placed in not yet implemented locations, but I get lost with him easily, you can't place where are the characters. NotD was terrible regarding this, VERY terrible. The manga could get more descriptions on this, too, just look at Death Knight, that's awesome, but Shadow Wing feels too random.

-Characters. He needs more NPC cameos, too; well, not cameos, ACTUAL roles. He always has to make new characters when we all are waiting for existing ones to get lore. New characters are cool, but we get too many. Also, stop using the same ones over and over again, it's annoying as hell.

And I think that's all about him.

Golden:

-Emotions overdose. Sometimes I feel like she focuses too much on what the people feel. We got it, don't insist that much. She's always showing "emotion" moments, some are awesome, but when you have too many, it gets boring and annoying. You want to see a character grow from his actions, not from his feelings.

And I can't think of anything else right now, Shattering was perfect. Maybe, seeing how she usually recreates events, she should give another look to WoWPedia for more "small details" and add some more cameos, too.

Anyway, what do you guys think Knaak's book will be about?

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 12-12-2010, 01:23 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Anyway, what do you guys think Knaak's book will be about?
Rhonin vs Deathwing
Old 12-12-2010, 01:28 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Golden:

-Emotions overdose. Sometimes I feel like she focuses too much on what the people feel. We got it, don't insist that much. She's always showing "emotion" moments, some are awesome, but when you have too many, it gets boring and annoying. You want to see a character grow from his actions, not from his feelings.
Going to have to disagree with this. Emotions and feelings are Golden's forte. The problem is more that she isn't always given the right stories for this. Not all characters grow from action; Arthas did, and so Golden's style was an awkward fit at time, but Jake Ramsey in the Dark Templar Saga was the perfect fit for Golden's style.

So, in summary, Blizzard really needs to make sure that they assign their writers stories that fit their writing style. If a story doesn't fit Golden or Knaak, then they should get a new writer for it instead of shoehorning one of them in for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 12-12-2010, 01:51 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curll View Post
I dearly hope so. And I wish Tracy Hickman could come back and write a book for Warcraft, too. We have enough Knaak and Golden's. Golden is great, but I just wish there could be more to expect.
I don't think Grubb is coming back. He's working for (like, receiving a regular paycheck from, if I am correct) ArenaNet, now, developers of Guild Wars. Unlike Christie and Knaak, who are freelance writers, Grubb may have some form of exclusivity contract with ArenaNet, and even if he didn't, I don't think Blizzard would be keen on hiring employees of their competitors and giving them details to their lore and development.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Going to have to disagree with this. Emotions and feelings are Golden's forte. The problem is more that she isn't always given the right stories for this. Not all characters grow from action; Arthas did, and so Golden's style was an awkward fit at time, but Jake Ramsey in the Dark Templar Saga was the perfect fit for Golden's style.

So, in summary, Blizzard really needs to make sure that they assign their writers stories that fit their writing style. If a story doesn't fit Golden or Knaak, then they should get a new writer for it instead of shoehorning one of them in for it.
Golden's problem is her control on the big pictures is not that amazing.
Arthas is a little bit over the top, Jaina is much worse in RotLK.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:58 PM

Ranger
BattleTag: Sayomara#1618

Knaak and Golden have written last five books published in the Warcraft universe, of which the last three are best sellers.

While many fans might not like Knaak or Golden there books are selling. Would it be nice they would let some new people in. But these books seem more about setting up new stories in the over Warcraft Universe now than Just telling good stories in the Warcraft Universe.

As for what Knaak is writing about I would expect its most likely something to set up the next Xpac. Just like Stormrage was all about getting 'Mal' back.

People will buy it, people will bitch but money is money to blizzard.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I don't think Grubb is coming back. He's working for (like, receiving a regular paycheck from, if I am correct) ArenaNet, now, developers of Guild Wars. Unlike Christie and Knaak, who are freelance writers, Grubb may have some form of exclusivity contract with ArenaNet, and even if he didn't, I don't think Blizzard would be keen on hiring employees of their competitors and giving them details to their lore and development.
I read his GW novel a while ago, it's still very good, better than many of the WC novels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayomara View Post
Knaak and Golden have written last five books published in the Warcraft universe, of which the last three are best sellers.

While many fans might not like Knaak or Golden there books are selling. Would it be nice they would let some new people in. But these books seem more about setting up new stories in the over Warcraft Universe now than Just telling good stories in the Warcraft Universe.

As for what Knaak is writing about I would expect its most likely something to set up the next Xpac. Just like Stormrage was all about getting 'Mal' back.

People will buy it, people will bitch but money is money to blizzard.
Yes, that's what I was trying to say, businessmen only care about profit.
I spent money on those mostly to learn new lore, try not be left behind the main storyline and find some important clues rather than to see a good story.

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 12-13-2010 at 03:20 PM..
Old 12-13-2010, 06:01 PM

Ranger
BattleTag: Sayomara#1618

And even Knaak says that he is forced to write some things that he would rather not. "I've had to do some things that they(fans) haven't necessarily liked, even if it wasn't necessarily my decision on that."

To me that reads as saying I know some of the things I've written are stupid but if Blizzard's Lore team wants it in and they are going to pay me to have it there, so be it.

That is not to say a author should write crap if they know its crap but if you make your living writing your going to take the checks while they are coming.

I have very mixed feeling on the whole issue of Knaak.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:24 PM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

Blizz should have the Lore team talk with D.M. Cornish, just brilliant brilliant stuff.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-13-2010, 07:45 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Just like Stormrage was all about getting 'Mal' back.
I still can't wrap my head around the outright superfluous silliness of that name. Malfurion already had a perfectly good nickname (which it seemed was already used more frequently than his full name back in RoC and TFT anyway), but I guess "Furion" still wasn't familiar-sounding enough for someone's tastes, so suddenly Tyrande's calling him "Mal".

Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Maybe "Malfurion" is like "Alexander", and there are two viable nicknames derived from it, "Xander" and "Alex".
Old 12-13-2010, 09:52 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I think the only time "Malfurion" was mentioned in the stead of "Furion" in Reign of Chaos was the manual.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
And even Knaak says that he is forced to write some things that he would rather not. "I've had to do some things that they(fans) haven't necessarily liked, even if it wasn't necessarily my decision on that."

To me that reads as saying I know some of the things I've written are stupid but if Blizzard's Lore team wants it in and they are going to pay me to have it there, so be it.

That is not to say a author should write crap if they know its crap but if you make your living writing your going to take the checks while they are coming.

I have very mixed feeling on the whole issue of Knaak.
Like the end of Stormrage?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Quote:
Like the end of Stormrage?
And that is a good response in what regard ?

I actually agree with Sayomara i always feel that Knaak doesnt get much freedom in the areas he would be best with and the opposite with Golden as she gets alot of freedom when it comes to characters reactions and feelings which i do think is her strong point but its hard to relate to when the characters are already developed.

Run

Last edited by Ku'ja; 12-13-2010 at 11:58 PM..
Old 12-14-2010, 06:56 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Fantastic. New sig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post