Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Before the edges of the continent shattered and the center got ripped out of existence,

before an ice age came and went.
Hmm, I wonder if the former is related to the latter...

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Hmm, I wonder if the former is related to the latter...
Possibly, the energies needed to shatter a continent and remove such a large piece of land would most likely wreck the climate on a global scale.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:24 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Possibly, the energies needed to shatter a continent and remove such a large piece of land would most likely wreck the climate on a global scale.
Interesting, I need to work on the timeline again to see how that'd affect other places.

I might push the fall of humanity back a little to give modern human nations more time to develop, shouldn't affect the Timeless too much.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-19-2017, 12:31 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Interesting, I need to work on the timeline again to see how that'd affect other places.

I might push the fall of humanity back a little to give modern human nations more time to develop, shouldn't affect the Timeless too much.
Perhaps the calamity happened 100 000 years back or so? Much time for things to settle down, ice ages to come and go and civs rise and fall.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-19-2017, 01:03 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Perhaps the calamity happened 100 000 years back or so? Much time for things to settle down, ice ages to come and go and civs rise and fall.
I think that might be too far to the opposite extreme, maybe more like 5k

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-19-2017, 01:13 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
I think that might be too far to the opposite extreme, maybe more like 5k
Ice ages last for a long time. At least 50 000 years of ice age. Our last ice age on Earth is still considered ongoing because of Greenland etc after 2.6 million years.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-19-2017, 01:33 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Ice ages last for a long time. At least 50 000 years of ice age. Our last ice age on Earth is still considered ongoing because of Greenland etc after 2.6 million years.
So are you trying to get deep time into Solthris or what? Because if you are, I'm not sure it'll mesh very nicely with sapient life. Actual civilization has only been around for about 5000 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:45 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
So are you trying to get deep time into Solthris or what? Because if you are, I'm not sure it'll mesh very nicely with sapient life. Actual civilization has only been around for about 5000 years.
about 5-6 thousands years are what I was thinking about for elven civilisation. It's the period before that I object to. Glaciers take a long time to accumulate, 5000 years are about the time it takes for a decent glacier to smelt.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-19-2017, 02:30 PM

Problemsolver

Here's a thing.

Quote:
The Nymphs

Introduction
During a time long before there were scribes and scholars to write down the events of history, when the world as we know it today was in its infancy, scattered tribes of primitive proto-elves wandered the forests and highlands of <north-eastern continent>. As the millenia passed ice ages came and went, and with them followed thick sheets of ice and snow covering the landmasses and oceans. During some of the particularly cold ice ages, when the body of water separating <north-eastern continent> and Ourothris was nearly completely frozen over, that a large numbers of proto-elven tribes ventured west, most likely in search of more bountyful lands. Shortly after the ice sheets would come to recede, and the tribes were left cut off from their native lands and brethren.

The tribes who never left <north-eastern continent> and their descendants wandered the lands for several ages as nomadic tribes, and eventually settled down in the humid rainforests on the south-western coast. Over the number of a few generations the proto-elves formed close relationships with the local wildlife, most notably with the towering, magical ents, which would greatly come to influence their culture and even biology.

Several thousands of years later, as the world had matured and been shaped into what it is today, the once primitive proto-elves had become something different from their cousins on Ourothris. The close cultural bond with ents and faerie races had over the years turned their skin into something resembling the bark of trees, the hair on their heads turned mossy and damp, and their eyes had started radiating with bright energies. Their life cycles would come to change fundamentally as well, as they no longer reproduced through sexual intercourse, but though pollination, and they could also no longer die of old age. The now faerie-like humanoid mini-ents called themselves nymphs.

Appearance
Nymphs are a bi-pedal humanoid race. An adult nymph can be anywhere between 6ft and 8ft tall. Nymphs have bright, glowing eyes.
The skin of the nymph is hard and rough, like the bark of a tree, and they come in a multitude of colours ranging from dark reddish browns to pale greyish greens.
The nymph's hair is frizzy and tangled, and damp like moss, and its colour can range between all manner of shades of green, yellow, red, brown, and violet, depending on the individual nymph's health and diet, or environmental and climate reasons (brighter colours signify good health, dull colours poor health, an excess of browns and be due to old age, spending too long time without water, or being exposed to the cold for too long a period, and so on).

Society
Nymphs live in isolated tribal communities deep within the rainforests on <south-western peninsula name goes here>, that are led by councils of elders or an especially magically gifted chieftain (especially gifted since all nymphs are inheritly magically adept). The nymph tribes are extremely territorial and hostile to unannounced visitors. The sole exception to the rule being Xylon, a city-state situated on an island along the rainforest's coast, ruled by a now-ancient, outgoing trade lord (without whom the rest of the world's civilizations would probably be completely oblivious to the nymphs).
In nymph society the females hold very high status, and are often the most educated and magically gifted. They are the ones who become rune scribes and spellweavers, and the ones serving as spiritual leaders of their tribes. The male nymphs, stronger and larger, but lower in status, generally grow up to be peasants, hunters, or warriors.

Architecture
Nymph architecture is very primitive and simple. Most living areas are nothing but simple dug-out mounds. Larger gathering places and religious buildings are constructed from wood and vines, with mud and sap insulating the walls. Coastal tribes, the ones who have the most interaction with the outside world, have been known to build bunker-like mounds with rocks and boulders as reinforcement.

Technologies
Nymphs have little to no advanced technologies. They know very basic engineering and physics, to the point where they can construct basic wooden and stone tools, primitive weaponry, as well as simple naval vessels capable of traversing lakes, rivers, and smaller seas.
The most developed technology of the nymphs would be their agriculture. Nymphs, due to their inherent, magical bond with nature and the wilds, are extremely well-suited for cultivating land and growing crops, a skill widely used by the tribes to produce all manner of products; food, spices, alchemical components, dyes, and so on. Many of these products end up in the city-state of Xylon, and are traded off to merchants from Merulos, the elven kingdoms, and more.
Nymphs also have a well enough developed written language and calendar system to keep historical and cultural records, a practice dating back at least a thousand years.

Religion, Magic, and Traditions
The religion of the nymphs, a brand of runic druidism, focuses on worshipping the local wildlife, the ents, faeries, feys, wisps, and the like. From these lifeforms the nymphs are granted magical their powers, which includes wound-mending, control over vegetation, and communicating with flora and fauna. Nymphs generally utilize their magic powers through runes. With runic magic the nymphs can empower weapons, create magical wards and barriers, and much more. Another aspect to their druidic religion is alchemy. With alchemy the druidic priests and spellweavers brew enhancing potions, volatile solutions and gasses, and imbue objects and people with magical powers.

Art and Culture
Much of the nymph's culture is rooted in the rainforests and marshlands (pun might very well be intended) they inhabit, life, death, and rebirth, nature, and animals. Their visual art, their carvings and paintings, often depict lifecycles or processes of decay. The lifecycle of a nut, to a sapling, to a tree, and the decay of its fallen leaves. Depictions of faeries, tiny insectoid magic creatures, along with the towering ents, are also a very prominent feature in their art.
Nymphs also create music, using various pipe and string instruments to produce tunes, and wood and stone for percussion. Nymph music, much like their visual art, tries to capture the essences of life and nature. A common theme among nymph symphonies is to create pieces of utter chaos, followed by calm, atmospheric intervals, trying to communicate to the listener the brewing and unleashed storm, the tos and fros of the wind, and the waves crashing onto the shore and receding back.

Last edited by Aneurysm; 05-20-2017 at 04:50 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 02:31 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Hmmm

This could be a bit different because the gods, primordials and most other beings in the past could have crafted mortals and landscapes over the span of a few hundred thousand years [albeit multiple sets of that time each time they fought] rather than the hundreds of millions of geologic/evolutionary years itd take irl

Edit:
@Aneurysm
Nice! I'll try and get proper feedback and response tonight

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 05-19-2017 at 02:34 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 03:02 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Here's a thing.

Howsabout that?
Well, the elves do not originate from Ourothris. I left it open that they wandered in from elsewhere and got stuck in the marsh area during an ice age. Put them on the north-eastern continent from the start, we can have that one as their continent of origin.

That would make your Nymphs close to the original elves whereas my elves changed as they adapted to the isolation.

The timeline as I imagined it went like this:
Ancient times of gods and primordials > ancient civs rise> Ourothris civ blows themselves up>Ice age begin and a proto-elf group coming from the east manages to get stuck in the north-east corner> Ice age begin to end, ice melts and the elves wander west and southeast along the edge of the ice, spliting into the West and the East with the ones staying becoming the northerners.

Something like this:

Green is your Nymphs, blue is my elves which later split into the red, yellow and purple after the ice age ended.

Overall, I like your nymphs, they feel like a group that would be favored trade partners of the East.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 05-19-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 04:00 PM

Problemsolver

@Yaska: Sure, I can work with that. I'll update my post with the info to fit better with the stuff you've established.

On the point about trade, that would most likely only happen on a rather small scale, as there's only a single city-state worth of nymphs that aren't openly hostile to strangers. Or rather the fact that there's literally only one location from which all products that may be exported actually can be exported creates a somewhat of a pretty notable bottleneck effect on the trading.

I also wrote this little thing.

Quote:
Hierachical Castes in Nymph Society
The nymph's tribal society is based on a hierarchy of different castes, with different roles. It's not feudalism at all, I swear.

The Hycetes, the ruling caste. Hycetes are positions given to individual nymphs through votes (only female nymphs are eligible to vote, but males may be voted for as candidates). Each and every tribe can be governed differently, some are ruled by a singular Hycetis, and some by councils of Hycetes. Generally each mandate period lasts a hundred years.
The Pnévtes, the priest caste. Pnévtes are the spiritual guides in nymph society, the highly-trained rune scribes and magicians. Being regarded as wise and knowledgable, most Hycetes elected throughout history have been of the Pnévtes caste originally. The Pnévtes are primarily made up of female nymphs. There are many different types of nymph priests and magicians, among them the Theramákes (healer priests, pain-easing, wound-mending, etc), and the Fésipes (faerie druid, communicating with the inspectoid faeries, fey creatues, ents, etc.).
The Pálites, the warrior caste. Pálites make up the fighting forces of nymph tribes. Male Pálites, the Tsekes, are the infantry forces of the nymphs, and specialize in fighting with axe or spear. A female Pálitis, a Simanis, is most often trained in offensive and defensive magics, and are more akin to the Pnévtes caste in the societal hierarchy, and they make up small units of magically-trained combatants.
The Xorikes, the working caste. Xorikes are the farmers, the builders, and the hunters in nymph society. They are the most numerous, primarily male, and rank the lowest on the hierarchical ladder. Filthy peasants. /spit
As I guess is pretty evident the Nymph's language is pretty much just me using Google, typing in words to see what the Greek translation of it is, and changing it up a little bit. I hope it'll fly with the rest of you guys.

EDIT: There also this. Are all borders correctly visualized? Mostly thinking around Northern Gruthar, and around the elven territories, where the lines on the reference I was using got a bit overlapping and somewhat incomprehensive. Do tell and I'll have it fixed by the next update.

Last edited by Aneurysm; 05-19-2017 at 05:46 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 06:26 PM

World Builder

Borders look good, one thing about the nymphs that might be tricky is having rainforest that far north, is it possible that area is magically warmer or something?

Their spot also puts them deep in Lokusi territory from one of the older maps, but that gives us a few options

A: they can hide from the Lokusi somehow

B: they drove them off or are currently fighting them

C: they relocate

D: just retcon the old map, not set in stone after all

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-19-2017, 06:40 PM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Borders look good, one thing about the nymphs that might be tricky is having rainforest that far north, is it possible that area is magically warmer or something?

Their spot also puts them deep in Lokusi territory from one of the older maps, but that gives us a few options

A: they can hide from the Lokusi somehow

B: they drove them off or are currently fighting them

C: they relocate

D: just retcon the old map, not set in stone after all
Yeah, I was thinking there'd be some magical mumbo-jumbo going around in that area anyway, with the ents and faeries and stuff that might have an effect on the climate, either making it warmer, or having the tropical plants magically survive a colder climate.

As to them occupying Lokusi territories or vice-versa, there's nothing wrong with some conflict going on. I'd like to see a combination of A) and B) preferably, with some tribes of nymphs using the thick forests to hide, and others are taking the fight to the Lokusi using the thick forests as a weapon (ent cavalry ho!).
Old 05-19-2017, 07:12 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
This could be a bit different because the gods, primordials and most other beings in the past could have crafted mortals and landscapes over the span of a few hundred thousand years [albeit multiple sets of that time each time they fought] rather than the hundreds of millions of geologic/evolutionary years itd take irl
Wait, what? Each time who fought? Could I get a summary of how the timeline currently looks, and when the primordials fucked off to wherever primordials go?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-20-2017, 02:20 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Wait, what? Each time who fought? Could I get a summary of how the timeline currently looks, and when the primordials fucked off to wherever primordials go?
Gods vs. Primordials is the primary conflict but dragons, demons, starhorrors and other beings have been involved over the millenia too

As for the timeline that's what I'm trying to work more detail into now

Will type up proper thoughts when I get home

EDIT:

Alright very bare bones timeline.

DAWN OF TIME:
-Everything suddenly exists! No one knows who or what made the universe! Maybe it was a Magic Big-Bang , maybe it wasn't!

-The World and its Moons Coalesce in the Emptiness around its sun alongside the other planets in the solar system.

-Primordials take shape and gradually gain sapience, initially they're all elemental but over time plant and animal-esque primordials develop from the mingling of elementals, such as the early world-trees and dragons.

-A group of wounded starhorrors* fall to the world and attempt to consume it to recover, the primordials rip them to shreds but some pieces survive and multiply. Some grow large enough to leave the world, others begin to nest there and are periodically rooted out by the primordials. This continuously stirs the worlds magical energies leaving it chaotic but full of life as the two opposing forces continue to spur each other into further development.

BILLIONS OF YEARS AGO
-The First Gods come from myriad backgrounds, and form myriad pantheons. Born from both beyond the world, and from within it. Most of these early gods fall into the traditional storm vs earthly categories but did not have the 'mortal shapes' they would later take. The Gods interact with primordials and each other, some depart from the world to explore the universe beyond, most remain on the world.

-The life and energy of the young world, and the interactions of the gods, primordials, and nascent starterrors gradually draws the attention of celestial and demonic beings, as well as other immortals.

-The First Conflict Begins. Despite the best efforts of the few levelheaded members of each group, the battle erupts, the first true organized conflict many of these young godlings had seen in this early universe.

-The Battles range from Glorious to Horrific, in time, the vast majority of the dragons are rendered bestial, but their lost energies empower the other primordials, and they become nigh-invulnerable. The primordials power, the horror of the dragons fate, and the obvious damage to the world they were fighting over stops the battles. The Gods retreat to their edens and halls, the celestials to their heavens, demons to their citadels, horrors to their blighted pits, fey to their groves, etc... while the Primordials roam the vast majority of the chaotic world at their leisure.

MILLIONS OF YEARS AGO
-The first mortals are created alongside other early creations of the gods to help mend the world and serve them. At this point in history mortals cannot survive outside of the divine enclaves, but as their populations grow and the world is repaired, a mix of necessity, disobedience, and curiosity cause the mortals to begin expanding beyond the sacred borders they dwelled in. Some encounter demons and other beings, who varyingly consider them fascinating, pitiable, terrifying, vermin, or some combination of them all.

-The second generation of gods and other immortals are born into the world, shaped by the conflicts that came before them and presence of early mortals.

-The primordials both inadvertently and intentionally destroy mortal settlements over time, killing many. Some even go so far as to assault the domains of the other immortals, not wishing to share the world with those whom they saw as intruders. Eventually this pushes the gods to better support those that spread beyond their shelters and to begin working together across the myriad pantheons.

-The gods defend mortal settlements and empower more guardians to protect the mortals from the chaotic primordials, their servants, and the ancient beasts of the world. Divine temples are erected which disrupt the flow of the world's energies to the primordials and tune them to the gods, they also serve to focus the energies of the souls that worship the gods, further empowering them. Some pantheons gradually begin teaching mortals magic to aid them in their work, with a few societies of mortals even discovering magic on their own.

-The long slow decline of the primordials begins as the gods unite and other immortals begin to side with various pantheons, while the primordials continue to operate essentially on their own. Flush with their new power and confident they can reclaim the world and deplete the primordials energies until they are no longer a threat, the gods begin steady campaigns of attrition and the other immortals follow suit.

-The infrequent but millennia long conflicts between gods and primordials, curiosity about the world beyond their homes, and the strictness of their divine creators, drive some mortals to intentionally seek out the terrifying creatures of the world looking for power, knowledge or simply a better lot in life, swelling the small societies that lived amidst the other immortals. Over time these mortals are shaped by their new masters, and these new societies came into conflict with gods seeking to reign in their wayward children or ambitious demons and fey seeking to wrest more servants from the gods. A few even begin to craft their own mortal servants, in fits of jealousy and curiosity. Many new races populate the world over time as well as many new forms of beasts and monsters.

Some mortals even shock their creators by beginning to worship the primordials, warring with the societies that serve allied immortals, or brokering peace with societies that follow other immortals that were once their vehement enemies, leading to new alliances... and new conflicts.

The Second War for the World

-The gods began to realize that while the creation of mortals and the temples that let them expand their dominions had granted them power, it had also made them more vulnerable, they had invested much of their energies in their domains, and the loss of temples or large groups of followers left them pained and weakened. Worse yet, if mortals that had once worshiped them converted to following others, or if their souls were stolen away, their rivals gained that strength instead.

In the past, the various pantheons of gods and immortals had informal agreements among themselves that they would not risk damaging the world as they had in the previous grand conflicts, even bitter foes felt the risk was too great. But as time passed, the immortals collectively began to realize that their power and knowledge had grown to such extent that they could craft their own planes of existence, alongside the world but separate from it, allowing them to sequester the souls of their most faithful mortal servants to safeguard them, and protecting themselves from the risk of the world being destroyed. Even in the most catastrophic scenarios, they could simply recreate it in their own design....

In truth, the world was already slowly being torn apart by the energies of the immortals vast realms beginning to pull and tear at each other. Lands ruled by the primordials were awash in flame or constant hurricanes. Enormous islands floated in the sky, and even the lunar spheres above the world had been colonized by ambitious immortals, and had their orbits twisted to suit divine caprice.

With the stalemate that had persisted for millenia no longer bearable as the immortals realms chafed against one another, open war began once again...

Alright, too sleepy to do more, and none of this is even 'final' yet, taking a break for tonight. What do yall think so far?

*The Starhorrors in my mind are alien but not to the extent a lot of the lovecraftian gods are. Those kinds of creatures EXIST but I haven't got a name for them just yet, and I picture them each as being uniquely horrifying and that any name applied to them as a group would be more a term of convenience rather than truly descriptive. Rather than new twists on the 'giant monster with lots of eyes and tentacles' bit they're each kind of their own thing.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-20-2017, 04:50 PM

Problemsolver

Stuff!

Quote:
The City-state of Xylon
Xylon has been referenced in texts and scripture since the dawn of nymph's written history. The city is located on an island south-west off the coast of <peninsula name>, and is thought to have been originally built as a large defensive structure by the tribes inhabiting the area.
The city has an ancient, great central square built from stone, with four stone monuments towering at each corner. At the base of each monument is a doorway, each leading down into a separate underground bunker, that in modern times serve as a storage spaces for the many tradesmen selling goods in the square above. At the eastern edge, between two of the monuments, stands a large stone fortification. This large building holds the throne and residence of Xylon's Hycetis. Beyond the square, to the north and the south, the rest of the city spreads out. Simple wooden and leather huts, and shallow dirt mounds, lines erratic streets and alleyways. The only paved, straight road is the one leading west out from the square, towards the docks and the ancient stone tower serving as a lighthouse. Along the road stand sturdier huts and longhouses, the residences of the city's upper class. Surrounding the city is a defensive mound with a wooden wall built on top.
Beyond the city walls farms and plantations litter the hills and meadows, as well as fishing villages along the coast. These communities and settlements help provide Xylon with a steady flow of fresh food, as well as producing goods with which to trade.
The past five hundred years, under the leadership of Hycetis Euthelia, the city have grown to become a flourishing hub for the local tribes to come and trade and socialize. There are even foreign ships laying anchor in the bay, bringing goods from faraway lands, and trading them for the nymph's spices, dyes, and alchemical components at the great central square. Xylon's unique position as a central trading hub has earned Euthelia a great deal of wealth and resources. And, while a controversial figure for her outgoing attitude towards foreign races, she has earned a good reputation among most tribes' Hycetes by showing herself charitable and supportive during times of strife. In return many Hycetes has sworn oaths to lend their most capable warriors should the need arise, granting the city-state a formidable military force.

The Dásoteíxes
To the east, where the thick forests end, and an unending landscape of grassy hills begins, a group of tribes have formed a coalition. They call themselves the Dásoteíxes, the 'wall of the forest', and are renowned throughout nymph society as the greatest warriors and combat magicians. For nearly three hundred years, alongside the mighty ents, the tribes of the Dásoteíxes have kept the ever-encroaching Locusi swarms from invading the nymph's homelands.
I also added an Art and Culture part to my previous post.

Edit: I've also thought about putting in something ominous about the nature of the proto-elves' transformation into nymphs. Something like the Curse of Flesh in WoW, but instead turning flesh into planty, botanical matter. Maybe ents used to be some kind of giant race earlier, but was afflicted by an ancient nature magic. This affliction would be contagious, so any lifeforms living amongst the walking trees would be transformed (faeries having been normal insects, now sparkly magic insects, maybe other stuff like dryads or something too, I dunno). As the proto-elves came to settle the peninsula they too would be afflicted by the curse. It'd be cool if it related to Mutters' Lovecraftian gods in progress, and it was something like an unfathomable incorporeal being turning the planet itself onto its living creatures, shaping an army of botanical creatures to take over the world when the time is right. Which in cosmic gods' terms could be countless millenia, so for now the nymphs, ents, faeries, and other planty creatures regain their free will (or so they think? dun dUN DUN!).

Last edited by Aneurysm; 05-20-2017 at 05:57 PM..
Old 05-20-2017, 05:41 PM

World Builder

Quote:
As I guess is pretty evident the Nymph's language is pretty much just me using Google, typing in words to see what the Greek translation of it is, and changing it up a little bit. I hope it'll fly with the rest of you guys.
Man my capitol is Warpact city, I literally can never give anyone grief on naming things hehe

Quote:
Stuff!

I also added an Art and Culture part to my previous post.

Edit: I've also thought about putting in something ominous about the nature of the proto-elves' transformation into nymphs. Something like the Curse of Flesh in WoW, but instead turning flesh into planty, botanical matter. Maybe ents used to be some kind of giant race earlier, but was afflicted by an ancient nature magic. This affliction would be contagious, so any lifeforms living amongst the walking trees would be transformed (faeries having been normal insects, now sparkly magic insects, maybe other stuff like dryads or something too, I dunno). As the proto-elves came to settle the peninsula they too would be afflicted by the curse. It'd be cool if it related to Mutters' Lovecraftian gods in progress, and it was something like an unfathomable incorporeal being turning the planet itself onto its living creatures, shaping an army of botanical creatures to take over the world when the time is right. Which in cosmic gods' terms could be countless millenia, so for now the nymphs, ents, faeries, and other planty creatures regain their free will (or so they think? dun dUN DUN!).

Good stuff! I LOVE the concept of ent cavalry, It's always bugged me that ents are only human-shaped when you'd think more would be like the nelf ancients with animal faces at least. The one note on the Dásoteíxes is that the Lokusi only spread to the east a little less than 300 years ago, but it's certainly possible we can adjust the timeline or just have it that the Dásoteíxes have existed and protected against -other- threats for as far back as 1k years.

Your bit about the ominous nature of their transformation reminds me a bit of Mordremoth and the Sylvari from GW2, it'd be really cool to explore them resisting some kind of mind control compulsion from such a being or how such a discovery might affect their culture.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-20-2017, 06:00 PM

Problemsolver

Quote:
The one note on the Dásoteíxes is that the Lokusi only spread to the east a little less than 300 years ago, but it's certainly possible we can adjust the timeline or just have it that the Dásoteíxes have existed and protected against -other- threats for as far back as 1k years.
Or we can have the Dásoteíxes being a coalition of tribes only about three hundred years old, as a reaction to the Locusi invasion, that would work fine for me. Not everything has to be rooted in thousands of years of history and tradition.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:07 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Or we can have the Dásoteíxes being a coalition of tribes only about three hundred years old, as a reaction to the Locusi invasion, that would work fine for me. Not everything has to be rooted in thousands of years of history and tradition.
Yeah that's always the tricky part to balance, giving enough time for things to happen while not making them so long as to make both groups seem like they weren't' actually doing anything during that time or were incompetent.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-21-2017, 12:44 PM

Problemsolver

I wrote this deeper lore thing concerning the transformation of proto-elves into nymphs.

Quote:
K'maztil and the Botanical Plague
Millions of years ago, alerted by faint signs of life and early civilizations, an ancient cosmic consciousness turned its eyes towards the world of Solthris. The consciousness, an incorporeal, eternal deity known as K'maztil, began monitoring the world from a distance, gathering information about its denizens and the gods protecting it. For hundreds of thousands of years K'maztil patiently observed as races and civilizations rose and fell, some because of war and strife, and some by the hands of the primordial beasts or gods of Solthris itself. K'maztil saw that the world and all that inhabited it were fundamentally flawed, and that something had to be done.
Over the many millenia K'maztil had kept an eye on Solthris she had noticed one particular type of player in the game of survival of Solthris that was rarely recognized by the others, yet always seemed to come out on top. No matter what calamity came upon the world, its highly adaptive and flexible vegetation and plantlife always survived and bounced back quicker than any form of life. In addition to that, the thing that came to impress K'maztil the most, was the lack of direction or ambition, the complete lack of consciousness of the plants. In that she saw an opportunity to manipulate and control the flora of Solthris, to have it snuff out the lives of all the other lifeforms with free will that kept tearing the world apart, and reshape the world in the image of herself.
But as eternal and cosmically powerful as K'maztil might have been, she alone could not take on the combined pantheon of an entire world. She would have to device a plan, a way to covertly seed and spread corruption across Solthris. K'maztil wove an intricate spell of mutation, focused the power into a single acorn, and sent it to the world. The acorn grew into a tree, and soon thereafter a lush forest began growing around it. As years passed the region grew warmed and more humid, and a strange mutative magic stirred within the deep woods.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:19 PM

World Builder

Nice, we've got our first otherworldly being looking to conquer the world with a secret ageless plot!

Plant monsters are always fun and horrifying hehe.

I'd been working on some mushroom/fungus people to introduce when we started looking at other parts of the world, I'll have to think on how they're related to this...

I hope Yaska pops on, I wanted to discuss the next bit of Grutharin forces fighting the Lokusi in his lands and possibly the First Contact between Grutharin and Elves.

Anansi! Where are we on Chronicle prep?

Also, I've been procrastinating on updating the OP, gonna do that now.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-21-2017, 01:24 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Anansi! Where are we on Chronicle prep?
Drowning, currently, in other projects. I'll try to pry open some time to write something later today, unless it's your turn?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-21-2017, 01:51 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Drowning, currently, in other projects. I'll try to pry open some time to write something later today, unless it's your turn?
This was my last reply, so I figure once I get info from you on anything that's happened since they started eating I can make the post where they meet up to head to Erasteachini?
http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...&postcount=265

EDIT:

Clarifying, I know what it's like to be busy, so if you've got time pressing stuff on other projects or are just more in the mood for them at the moment that's fine, I'd like to keep things flowing but I don't want it to feel like a chore or obligation or anything.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-21-2017, 04:07 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
This was my last reply, so I figure once I get info from you on anything that's happened since they started eating I can make the post where they meet up to head to Erasteachini?
http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...&postcount=265

EDIT:

Clarifying, I know what it's like to be busy, so if you've got time pressing stuff on other projects or are just more in the mood for them at the moment that's fine, I'd like to keep things flowing but I don't want it to feel like a chore or obligation or anything.
Let's just assume nothing significant has happened since the started eating. Some awkward stares, perhaps, and maybe some locals have left the establishment rather than dine without outsiders.
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
collaboration, solthris, worldbuilding