Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2017, 11:15 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Technically, I've already taken time off since I've been waiting for the grade since December. I'll probably jump as straight as possible.

I just hope that I'll still have enough time to spread that love Aneurysm is yearning for.
Great, as long as love is not a code word for in that sentence ;-P
Old 02-16-2017, 11:24 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
But, what of doctor scientarum?
That's even better!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:35 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Grats, Nazja.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:40 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Great, as long as love is not a code word for in that sentence ;-P
Stop projecting, you closeted butt-ravager.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Stop projecting, you closeted butt-ravager.
Says the forum perv
Old 02-16-2017, 12:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Says the forum perv
-_-
Old 02-16-2017, 12:50 PM

Arch-Druid

So Nazja, how are you going to become a productive member of the society ?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:37 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Smile Thanks @everybody. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
So Nazja, how are you going to become a productive member of the society?
Be fruitful and multiply?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:41 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Congratulations, Master Nazja-tan!

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 02-16-2017, 01:42 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

Today I had to talk to a Sam Harris fan. As you might imagine, it was a tiring day.
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:44 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Congrats, Nazja!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufin View Post
Today I had to talk to a Sam Harris fan. As you might imagine, it was a tiring day.
I am sorry. Harris' Letter to a Christian Nation is one of the most condescending and sanctimonious things I've ever had the displeasure to skim.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 02-16-2017, 03:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I am sorry. Harris' Letter to a Christian Nation is one of the most condescending and sanctimonious things I've ever had the displeasure to skim.
I did consider him pretty annoying in the past even though I am closer to atheist than believer on the spectrum. Though his scientific bent and strong stance on islam have somewhat won me over. I like that he is consistent in criticizing all faiths for their faults and is not going along with this madness that has taken over the left where for some reason islam is beyond criticism.

A related interesting thing is the de facto alliance between militant atheists and Christians versus islam and the regressive left. Culture wars are always shifting and oh so "fun."
Old 02-16-2017, 05:50 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

He's a retard who believes in scientism and consistently gets shut down by actual intellectuals. He's a pop icon with a cult of personality and nothing more. His interaction with Chomsky is one of the most delightful things I've ever read purely for how effortlessly he was decimated. He's also a complete government apologist who cannot fathom the idea that the USA does fucked Up things every now and again. He's a complete waste of air. And I'm a fucking atheist in a STEM field.
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
I did consider him pretty annoying in the past even though I am closer to atheist than believer on the spectrum. Though his scientific bent and strong stance on islam have somewhat won me over. I like that he is consistent in criticizing all faiths for their faults and is not going along with this madness that has taken over the left where for some reason islam is beyond criticism.

A related interesting thing is the de facto alliance between militant atheists and Christians versus islam and the regressive left. Culture wars are always shifting and oh so "fun."
I'm an agnostic, but reading Letter to a Christian Nation made me want to become a fundamentalist in order to spite Harris. I can only imagine that reading his tracts critical of Islam will make me want to become a Muslim for the same reason

Basically, whatever good points he makes are lost in the condescension. And as I've said elsewhere, I tend to find atheist proselytizers more annoying than religious proselytizers.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 02-16-2017, 11:10 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
-_-
Own it, wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 02-16-2017, 11:17 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
I'm an agnostic, but reading Letter to a Christian Nation made me want to become a fundamentalist in order to spite Harris. I can only imagine that reading his tracts critical of Islam will make me want to become a Muslim for the same reason

Basically, whatever good points he makes are lost in the condescension. And as I've said elsewhere, I tend to find atheist proselytizers more annoying than religious proselytizers.
So basically, he's an ass?

But yeah, interestingly enough, even though Jehova's witnesses are the ones who show up on your doorstep at seven in the morning, I've often found them to be less imposing, for lack of a better word, than some of atheism's stauncher proponents.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post

But yeah, interestingly enough, even though Jehova's witnesses are the ones who show up on your doorstep at seven in the morning, I've often found them to be less imposing, for lack of a better word, than some of atheism's stauncher proponents.
Yeah, he is.

I really do think that religious proselytizers are, at least trying to share something they think is good. Most atheist proselytizers are badmouthing religion. The religious proselytizers will typically criticize other faiths, but that's not how they start off; it's not as core to the identity.

Thus, they don't come off as negative.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post

Atheism has a hard time being advertised

How do you advocate, hey stop believing in a happy afterlife?

When really most reasonable people just want religious folks to stop letting their faith bleed into politics and don't care about if someone's actually religious or not, just if they're an ass

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 02-16-2017, 11:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post

When really most reasonable people just want religious folks to stop letting their faith bleed into politics and don't care about if someone's actually religious or not, just if they're an ass
Right, but there's a pretty big difference between someone who just doesn't believe and wants to be left alone, and someone who gets angry at the idea of other people believing.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:13 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

There is advocating : speaking to people interesting in the matter, having discussions on how we can have a morality system, how you can make sense of the world and of to deal with death without religion
And there is proselytizing : trying to convert people to your point of view whether they're interested or not
Old 02-17-2017, 03:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
A Japanese jihadi, now that would be a fearsome sight to behold

Quote:
Right, but there's a pretty big difference between someone who just doesn't believe and wants to be left alone, and someone who gets angry at the idea of other people believing.
Not to mention that it is unreasonable to expect religious people to just ignore their beliefs in politics.

It is the difference between saying I am against abortion for religious reasons and no one should be allowed to do this because of my religious beliefs. Though arguably even the second thing becomes okay if it is the majority view, however that line of thinking has many issues and in the case of the US may well lead to war.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:15 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
If history is any indication, by putting signs on buses saying: "There is no god, now move on with your life".
Old 02-17-2017, 07:29 AM

Elune

I think people adopt their religions because of their values and not the other way around. There are secular reasonings for most religious tenants and many values that are associated with religion aren't explicitly written in the text. Suggesting a law proposal you don't like is religiously motivated is just a rationalization to make it null and void so you don't have to argue with it or beat it when it comes to election time. The US supreme court building has religious figures sculpted on it because religion has always been associated with law making. The US first amendment treats religion just like any idea that you can't hide from and needs to be publicly debated in the hopes that only the best ideas survive. The establishment clause is about public endorsement of religion or compulsory religion which is misappropriated all the time.

I don't see a reason to argue or proselyte the divine aspect of religion. That is pretty much unprovable so it is a waste of time. It is more of the agnostic acknowledgement that when it comes to the universe humans actually know very little and there is still a lot of mystery left in the world. It should be humbling to accept the fact that because of that people are going to believe different things. The areligious crowd just comes off as pretentious and bitter. For a lot of people it is a social thing people bond over. Every week the community comes together to network and organize events, mostly charitable ones. People are dedicating themselves to something they see as more important than themselves.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:46 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Religion is like a dick, great you've got one but I don't want it waved in my face. Same for atheism tbh, I don't know who's worse, priests on the streets spewing dogma or Xx_Dorit0z_xX proclaiming that religion holds you back as a person.

Advertising for both has always been dumb in my eyes.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 AM

Elune

Quote:
A Japanese jihadi, now that would be a fearsome sight to behold
That would be Koshiro Tanaka, a Japanese karate expert who joined Afghan mujahedin back in the '80s and fought the Soviets.

http://www.csmonitor.com/1987/0814/omuj1.html

He's still around, and is an advocate for Japanese rearmament (which is probably not a bad idea, even if I'm disturbed by Abe's revisionism).

https://news.vice.com/video/japan-vs-the-islamic-state (he shows up at around 7:57).

I don't think he's a Muslim, though.

There is a tiny Muslim community in Japan. Some were soldiers who converted after discovering the religion during World War 2 (which goes back to your earlier statement ), but I think most now are immigrants. A number of Iranians resettled in Japan during the '80s, though I don't know if they were religious. One of them married local and fathered Yu Darvish, the half-Iranian and half-Japanese starting pitcher for the Texas Rangers.

Tags
realspace, spam thread 3.1