Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Tome of Experience All I Ever Wanted To Do Was Study

I don't remember much of my childhood. In fact, I can't remember any of it at all. I have no idea who my parents are. Or if I even have parents. For all I can tell, I just "spawned" at some point. I like to read. I like to fish. I like to collect stamps. But it seems like I never have time for any of that. It's always one more quest. One more boss to kill. And there's never enough money.

The first thing I remember is standing in a forest, outside a church. There's a guy wearing a suit of armor in front of me. I was confused. I was disoriented. I was in an ugly blue dress.

I asked the armored man for help. Who am I? How did I get here? He doesn't seem to hear me - he just mentions something about how he needs my help, and sends me in to the church to talk to another man in armor.

I don't remember much about this man. But he was the first of many of his kind - people who were in authority who would pay me in coin and goods to go out and kill things. At first, I had a real problem with this. It took me days to set aside my moral reservations over slaughtering a bunch of Kobolds who didn't appear to be bothering anyone. I can still hear their cries of pain as I magically set them on fire while they sat unsuspectingly in their primitive lean-to's.

After a while, you block it out. You don't hear the screaming. Or worse, you start to enjoy it. And, at times, you realize the killing is necessary. When I wandered across that bridge and was suddenly attacked by a woman with a knife without any provocation, I realized the dude in the armor was probably right about those guys.

Although I could have done without having to bring him the head of Garrick Padfoot. I was a level 4 mage. All I had was a staff and my bare hands. Have you ever tried to decapitate a man with a stick? It's not pretty.

I like being a mage. It's intellectually stimulating, and more physically demanding than you'd expect of a class that wears frilly robes all the time. If I could, I'd retire to the tower in Stormwind (hell, I'd even settle for Azora), and not do all this running around. But it seems like all the reading I do never gets me anywhere. The only time I learn anything new or become a better spellcaster is after I've killed a whole lot of people. It helps when I can steal a nice weapon or article of clothing off their corpse.

These are my stories.

Last edited by Bolvar; 09-24-2010 at 04:56 PM..
Old 03-10-2009, 04:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Well, that was an awesomely amusing read. You have wit.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Well, that was an awesomely amusing read. You have wit.
Thanks. I feel like I should post a quick disclaimer or two:

I don't play clothies. In fact, I simply can't stand them. I have a level 65 priest that only got that far with a LOT of help, and I was going to make him an emergency backup healer for my guild. Otherwise, I never use him.

I have a level 15 mage alt. I have no warlocks.

I can tolerate Druids. Rogues are alright. Hunters are overpowered and not much fun for me to play. Shamans are cool because of the shields and chainmail; but, God, so many totems to manage.

My true love is plate. I have a level 80 Warrior, a level 73 Paladin, and a level 70 Death Knight. They all tank. They're all fun for me to play.

So, I'm writing this story from the perspective of a character I actually hate. I figure it will be funnier that way. But if I come across as a person that doesn't know the first thing about mages, well, that's exactly right.

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:41 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

The worst part is the lack of armor. I'm not sure what causes it, but I seem to have some sort of mental handicap when I try to put on anything that has leather or metal on it. I start twitching like the Rain Man and mumbling to myself "I can't equip that." Maybe it's some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder. Maybe all this fiddling about with arcane energy has given me a mild case of autism. I don't know.

Let's face it, if I toss a few enormous fireballs at an angry gnoll, I've got to hope I don't miss; because if I don't incinerate him quickly, he's coming after me with a vengeance, and he's probably packing a large, sharp object. Me? All I've got is a bloody stick. And I'm not even that good at fighting with it.

My encounter with a particularly nasty gnoll they call 'Hogger' illustrated my limitations all too clearly. My first attempt to collect the bounty on his paw (thank God it wasn't his head this time - severing a hand is a lot less gruesome) introduced me to two things: Death, and resurrection.

The dying was a little scary the first time. Actually, it was REALLY scary. I opened up on Hogger with a frost bolt to slow him down a bit, but it missed. Before I even finished the lengthy spell recital for my first fireball, he was on top of me. I'll admit - I pissed myself. But before I had time to feel any embarrassment over it, he planted his axe in my skull. Everything went black.

Then, suddenly, I'm standing in the graveyard at Goldshire, a mile away. Everything is grey. There's an angelic figure before me. I ask her "Is this the end? Where do I go now?"

All she tells me is some crap about how it's not my time yet. I can have her restore me to life on the spot, but it will leave me weakened for a time, and probably damage my gear a bit, or I can "run" back to my corpse and claim my physical form on the spot where I died.

(If I may digress a bit - this has since happened to me more times than I can count. I don't know if I'm immortal or what, but it seems like any time I die, it's not "my time." Death doesn't scare me now; all that bothers me is the excruciating pain of actually getting killed.)

Needless to say, I didn't feel like going back to where that pissed off gnoll was hanging about. So, I asked her to resurrect me on the spot. Then I went to the inn and got a new pair of pants.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:51 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Hogger eventually met his end, thanks to my mighty arcane missile, and a bored Draenei Death Knight practicing his mining skill nearby.

It was at this point that the local constabulary in Goldshire decided that a hero of my caliber could be useful outside the tranquil confines of Elwynn Forest. I was sent to Westfall.

I was supposed to talk to a Captain Gryan Stoutmantle, but along the way, it seemed like every farmer in the county had some problem or other that he needed help with. One gal wanted groceries for some nasty stew. Another wanted me to steal a bunch of grain for her horse. And so on. None of these farmers actually grew anything that I could see, most likely because they'd decided to buy a bunch of mechanical harvesters to do all their manual labor, but now were stuck with no crop when the things went haywire.

Stoutmantle had his own problems. The Defias Brotherhood had taken over the town of Moonbrook and Stormwind wasn't sending enough troops to clean the place out. Not that it would have taken many - I would imagine one veteran city guard could have cleared the whole place out in about 5 minutes. Heck, Gryan himself could have walked over there and knocked them out. But I guess that's not how he rolls.

I had to solve his Defias problem. What I discovered was that most of the time, being a "Hero of Stormwind" usually means you're just doing someone's dirty work.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 PM

Sad but true. I love having a narrative from an actual character's point of view, because it adds a hilarious dimension to everything we've played through.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:06 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Excellent piece you have here, Bolvar. I'm really enjoying it.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 AM

Heh keep it up. So easy to read and yet so entertaining.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:41 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Thank you all for the positive feedback. It's very encouraging.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:27 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Alas, poor Lordaeron. Never was there a more idyllic kingdom; peaceful, prosperous, and ruled by a fair and decent monarch. Spared the destruction that Stormwind suffered at the hands of the Horde, good King Terenas forged an alliance that defeated the orcs and saved humanity.

Lordaeron represented the best of humanity. It was the birthplace of the Order of the Silver Hand and the home of the Kirin Tor. Maybe this is why it was the primary target of the Scourge. The Alliance has never recovered from its loss.

Now most of this vast nation is blighted and plagued. Its great population has been scattered, slaughtered, or worse. And the royal line has been lost (well, maybe not completely... )

Aside from a few small regions that are being held on to by the natives, most of Lordaeron is inhabited by the Scourge and the Forsaken.

And then there's the Scarlet Crusade.

At first, everyone thought the Crusade was a good thing. Basically, natives of Lordaeron banded together, determined to eradicate the Scourge and re-claim the homeland. They were motivated. They were well-equipped. They were strong. They were fanatical.

Then they became downright extreme. Now, I can't blame the whole lot of them - most of them are men and women that saw their homes overrun and their friends and family slaughtered. You can't go through what they went through and not lose a piece of yourself in the process. I often wonder if this is why I have no memory of my life before the Abbey.

But like any extremist organization, they were subject to exploitation. Fanatics will rally behind anyone who tells them what they want to hear, and appears to have the means to deliver on it. That's the problem with the Crusade. Their leadership is more interested in pursuing their own agenda than really following their mission of reclaiming Lordaeron from the Scourge. In fact, some of their leadership may actually be acting completely contrary to the goals of the Crusade. I have heard some disturbing rumors.

My new friend Raleigh knew all this. He used to be one of them, but he recognized the insanity that had invaded the Scarlet Crusade. Innocent men, women, and children were being tortured and slaughtered simply on the suspicion of being affiliated with the Scourge - and usually all this meant was they weren't affiliated with the Crusade.

Raleigh had identified a few of the worst of them; officers of the Crusade that were clearly corrupt, and needed to be removed. It was his hope that cutting out the cancerous leadership might help the Scarlet Crusade find its way again.

I had my doubts. But I had no trouble gunning for the likes of Mograine and Whitemane, and Raleigh was paying well.

It didn't take me long to figure out why he hadn't found anyone else to take his offer. The mission was insane. He wanted me to take out four officers that were holed up in the Scarlet Monastery all they way up in the northern region of Tirisfal Glades. I'd have to run right through the Forsaken's backyard just to reach the place, and by all accounts, it was a veritable fortress.

I was going to need some help.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:53 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

I love this. Have I said that yet?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:26 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Unfortunately, the peaceful confines of Southshore are no place to find a group of heroes crazy enough to invade a place like the Scarlet Monastery.

While I'm more than capable of melting the face off a lone adversary, taking on a well-equipped army would require actual muscle. Grizzled, veteran soldiers that would work for glory, honor, and righteousness.

Or, barring that, for a few rounds of Thunderbrew Ale. I needed to go to Ironforge.

Of all the races in the Alliance, the Dwarves, in my opinion, are the most formidable. They're tough, stoic, fiercely loyal, and downright lethal in a fight. They're also pretty darned smart. A lot of folks dismiss their intelligence because of their jovial manner and their propensity to consume large amounts of alcohol, but the Dwarves make their home in one of the most impregnable fortress cities ever built, and when they go into battle, they usually bring enough firepower to take down an enemy three times the size of their expected target. In short (no pun intended), they know how to win.

They're also usually up for a good brawl, as long as there's a good reason for it.

Within the mountain city of Ironforge, there's about, I dunno, 72 different pubs, bars, breweries, inns, and other assorted establishments for thirsty dwarves to gather, imbibe, and share fantastic tales of adventure. It didn't take me long to find a cozy place with a handful of platemail-clad fellows who didn't mind having a humble mage buy them a few rounds and share a proposition.

Their "leader" (I don't know if he was really in charge, but he did most of the talking) was a paladin named Lagerblock. He was more than happy to tackle the Crusade, and his two friends didn't seem to object.

"Now, we've enough firepower for yer little adventure, and I can keep you all alive, but we're gonna need us a point man... someone to keep the heat off the rest of us... a tank." Lagerblock took a draw of his pipe as he stated this, and the other two dwarves nodded, as if they knew where he was going with this.

I ordered another round. "Sounds sensible. I assume you gentlemen have someone in mind?"

The hunter, a red-bearded fellow called Flintknuckle, chuckled at that. "Aye, we do. The lads just aren't too keen to admit it."

I raised an eyebrow at that. "I don't quite follow you."

The gray-haired warrior, Grimblade, chugged the last half of his mug and scoffed, "Because he's a bloody gnome, that's why. But the lil' bugger's meaner than a goretusk with a hemorrhoid, and he can take a punch like you wouldn't believe."

I tried to picture what he described, then decided against it as I figured the image would be too funny not to laugh at, and that would have been impolite. "Ah. Well. Sounds like just the man for the job. Shall we ask him?"

Lagerblock nodded. "Aye. But I'm gonna need another drink first."
Old 03-31-2009, 12:34 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Every gnome I've ever met has been friendly, affable, and good-humored.

Except for Sparky Boxwrench.

While most of the Gnomes seemed to take the loss of Gnomeregan in stride, Sparky never got over it. He refuses to live in Ironforge with the rest of his people, preferring a modest home in Dun Morogh where he spends his spare time crafting weapons and armor and raiding the old Gnomish capitol city, killing as many troggs as he can.

He's not very tall, even for a Gnome. And he's the only one I've seen with black hair (I suspect he dyes it, but I'd never say as much to him). Clad in black armor with silver highlights and spikes about everywhere, and preferring to carry a large matching shield and a vicious axe, he gives one the impression of a very pissed-off porcupine. I was glad to have him on our side. And I started to feel a little sorry for the Scarlet Crusade.

Between Sparky and Grimblade, the Crusade couldn't see anything but a flurry of steel in front of them. Well, that, and Flintknuckle's pet boar, "Baconbits." I had no idea a pig could be so brutal, but after seeing him chew the loins off a Scarlet mage, I will never, ever, look at a ham sandwich the same way again.

Needless to say, Lagerblock had no trouble healing the rest of us, and Flintknuckle and I stayed a comfortable distance from the fray and mowed them all down.

Until we got to the Cathedral, that is.

Mograine hadn't forgotten me. As soon as we approached the altar where he stood, he stunned Sparky and came right for me.

And the sheep spell didn't work this time. In fact, nothing did. I didn't notice until it was too late that Whitemane was standing behind him, with an evil grin on her face.

Somehow, she'd silenced me. I couldn't cast a single spell. And Mograine was coming right for me, swinging that big damned mace of his. I flinched as it approached my skull.

And bounced off.

Lagerblock had cast some sort of shield over me. I knew I only had a few seconds, and that nothing would stop Mograine.

It was then that I noticed Whitemane had the point of one of Grimblade's swords sticking out of her stomach. He'd moved around behind her while she was busy silencing me and casting a mind control spell at Flintknuckle (which was tragic, as he'd been forced to shoot Baconbits).

The trauma was more than enough to break both spells. Flintknuckle let her have it with both barrels, disintegrating her head in the process. Mograine paused to consider this, and that was all the time I needed to wind up the mother of all fireballs.

I wish I could say there was something satisfying about burning off a man's face, but in truth, it's just disgusting. I can't stand the sight of it, the smell is unbearable, and the gurgling screaming sound one makes when one can't quite speak through a charred voicebox is quite possibly the most disturbing thing you'll ever hear.

Sparky didn't seem to care for it either, and swiftly cut Mograine off at the knees, then severed his head to put him out of his misery.

We returned to Southshore to collect our bounty from Raleigh. I bought a round of drinks for my new friends and offered to teleport them back to Ironforge. They declined, opting instead to get good and drunk before raiding the Orc encampment at Alterac Valley, since they were already in the neighborhood.

I'd seen enough bloodshed for one day. I had a bowl of soup and went to bed. I had to get up early the next day to catch my boat to Teldrassil.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:07 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Beginning - hilarious.
Ending - disgusting.

Perfect mix.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

I always thought of Kalimdor as sort of a "dark" continent - savage, foreign, and primitive. I know that's probably not a "fair" assessment of the entire landmass or its occupants; it's just a sense I get of the place. The Night Elves and Tauren that live there shun the arcane entirely, and don't seem to care much for mages. The Orcs are, well, Orcs, and the Trolls are, well, Trolls.

Aside from the occasional trip to Theramore, I try to avoid the whole place. But I had business in Darnassus. I owed someone a favor.

I couldn't just teleport over - I hadn't studied on how to do that (it was on my to-do list). I've heard some mages are talented enough to divine where they need to go, and teleport without actually visiting the location first. I've also heard of mages that ended up with their legs stuck in the floor. I'm not that talented. Or that stupid.

But I digress. There's a reason why I had to visit the Night Elf capital. It all started about a month or so ago.

I was in Menethil Harbor, passing through on my way home from a trip to Stormwind. I always try to stop over for a few days, because the fishing is fantastic; not just in the bay, but also in the marshy rivers of the Wetlands. Most folks don't bother, because of all the crocolisks and raptors. Personally, I don't mind having an excuse to grill up a good raptor steak.

So, I'm fishing off the bridge that leads from the marsh into the keep, and I see this Night Elf woman being attacked by a blue raptor. She appears to be trying to cast some spell against the beast, but it doesn't seem to have any effect, and the creature is tearing her up.

Naturally, I run to her rescue, sending a flurry of frostbolts at the raptor, stunning it, then killing it.

"Are you alright?" I asked the woman.

She responds by punching me in the jaw. "You MORON! That was a rare Cerulean Marsh Raptor! I was TRYING to TAME it!"

Without another word, she marched off in the direction of the keep, and I sat in the mud rubbing my chin and wondering how I went from "knight in shining armor" to "moron" in such a short period of time.

Last edited by Bolvar; 03-31-2009 at 03:45 PM..
Old 10-30-2010, 07:32 AM

Huntress

At the first part of Bolvar's little story I found an interesting line:
"I was confused. I was disoriented. I was in an ugly blue dress. "

Somehow this part reminded me of Mojo-Jojo with his classic "I am bad, I am evil, I am MOJO-JOJO !!"

Last edited by Defiler; 10-30-2010 at 07:35 AM..
Old 02-10-2011, 03:43 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

It was about 4 in the morning when I awoke. Someone was walking up the stairs to the second floor of the inn. The magical wards I had in place had stirred me, but I would have woken up anyway a moment later when I heard a crash, a grunt, and a loud thud.

I grabbed my staff and stepped out into the hallway to see Captain Jim Kaos standing over the unconscious form of Stabzu.

What the hell are you doing? I demanded.

I was on my way to see you. I guess your rogue friend didnt like me sneaking around. Hes pretty good.

Not good enough, I suppose.

Its not his fault. I was expecting him from the moment I landed. Ive read the dossiers for your entire team. He was out the back window and within ten yards of me the whole way he must have heard the gryphon fly in from the north.

Not bad.

Not at all. Im sorry for the headache hell have when he wakes up, though.

So why are you here at this hour?

Lets talk downstairs.

We put Stabzu back in his bed and went down to the table nearest the hearth, where I started the fire.

I have a job for you. Kaos started, as he buttered a hunk of bread hed found in the kitchen.

My team works for Khadgar. I replied. I didnt really care I kind of preferred Kaos over the old mage, but there was no harm in reminding him of the potential conflict.

Not for your team, for you. And Ive already notified Khadgar.

Has it got anything to do with the Legion?

Not really.

Then Im not really interested. And that was the truth of it. Not until Id avenged Eloona, and I figured Id have to put the head of Sargeras himself on a pole to satisfy that oath.

Kaos sighed, got up from the table, and turned to stare into the fireplace. I know what happened at Karazhan. Fortran asked me to read the briefing on the whole event. Begged me, even.

Whats your point?

My point is Ive been a field commander in more insane combat situations than even he can remember, and hes 25,000 years old. And all he wanted to know is what he should have done differently to save that woman.

And whatd you tell him?

He turned and looked me in the eye. I told him he fucked up. I told him he should have dragged Velen himself to Karazhan to take on that demon. And I told him if hed done to me what hed done to you, Id have cut him in half for it.

I shrugged. That doesnt really make me feel any better.

Yeah, I figured. Because you fucked up, too, and you know it.

Yep. And he was right. I had gone over the whole thing countless times, and found countless mistakes. The only positive that came out of it was that I didnt manage to get even more people killed.

And you realize the whole timeline is completely screwed up now, right?

Well, considering that demon killed a few hundred people that probably werent supposed to die last month, yeah.

Its worse than that. She raised a Bronze drake as an undead.

I didnt like where this was going. Nobody knows where that drake went, do they?

Nobody knows where or when. The Bronze Flight is in a complete panic over it. Undead creatures typically maintain some of the abilities they had in life.

Great. So, I not only let dozens of innocents get slaughtered, I turned an undead time-traveling dragon loose.

Yeah, but weve got people on that. The point is, there are a lot of things in motion now that werent before. Part of it is because the war in Northrend is over. Part of it is this temporal uncertainty going on. And part of it is all this elemental upheaval going on.

So if you dont want my help with the drake, then what is it?

He pulled an envelope of papers from his vest, and dropped it on the table in front of me. We intercepted a courier from the Undercity on his way to Orgrimmar. It confirms what weve suspected for a while.

Whats that?

Sylvanas is getting desperate.

I didnt bother reading the documents. Kaos wasnt about to lie to me. Desperate for what? The Lich King is dead. She has the revenge she always wanted.

Right. So, what do you think is next for her?

Well, Id actually sort of expected she and the Forsaken might just drop dead when Arthas fell. I mean, theres no Lich King around, so how are any of these undead still alive?

Thats classified.

What do you mean?

Nevermind. Back to Sylvanas. Those documents say that shes proposed acquiring a new sea port for the Horde in Lordaeron.

Now I was interested. Id lived most of my life in Southshore, and that was the only port that I knew of in the region. Theres no way theyd attack Southshore itd mean all-out war.

Southshore isnt the target. Shes preparing an offensive on Gilneas.

Gilneas? That doesnt make sense. Even if she cracks the wall, Greymanes likely to have a much bigger army than Sylvanas does. What shes proposing would take the full force of the Horde, and theyre not stupid enough to throw all their resources at one target just for a new port.

Exactly. The whole notion is bullshit.

Why would the Horde agree to that course of action? And whats she really after?

Sylvanas has been in the doghouse ever since the Wrathgate. And while Thrall wont expel the Forsaken from the Horde, there are many among them who are quietly hoping their unpleasant, undead allies will eventually just become extinct.

Because they cant reproduce.

Not naturally. So, if they foolishly attack Gilneas and deplete their own numbers even faster, who among the Horde would really object? Its a no-lose situation for them, because they can deny any endorsement of the attack, but if she succeeds, theyve established an even greater stronghold in the Northern Kingdoms.

He had a good point. But he hadnt answered my other question. You still havent told me what shes really after.

He sat back down, and lowered his voice. We have intelligence that tells us Sylvanas has found a way to raise her own undead.

So what? Any necromancer worth his salt can do that. Hell, I could probably do it if I wanted to.

Not just mindless minions fully sentient men and women. New Forsaken.

Oh.

And thats why shes really after Gilneas. From what we know, she can only raise humans, and recently deceased corpses work best.

And she cant openly attack Alliance settlements without provoking a new war, but Gilneas isnt part of the Alliance.

Exactly. If she can raise them, shes going to be as powerful as Arthas no matter how many troops Greymane has, he will have casualties, and they will just strengthen her ranks. She'll not only secure her standing in the Horde, she'll have established a sense of longevity for her people.

It makes sense. But why are you wasting time coming here to tell me this? You should have sent an envoy to Gilneas City.

We sent three. None have returned.

OK, so something is wrong in Gilneas. But why me? Youre much closer in Ironforge. Now that the war is over, the ISS must have people that are nearby that can investigate.

He lowered his head. The Ironforge Secret Service was disbanded.

What? Why?

Kaos just shrugged in frustration. I havent figured it out yet. Draz just shut it all down last month. Didnt explain much of anything. Hes scared, but he wont say why. He burned a ton of files, shredded or melted down most of the equipment, and closed up all the offices. Told me to stay the hell away from Ironforge, and then he just vanished.

Draz Rediron was the old Dwarf who commanded the ISS. If he was scared, it was for a good reason. So, who are you working for now then?

Nobody. I set up shop in the Exodar with Fortran. Hes got contacts there that can keep us supplied, and we still have a good network of agents out there. Im trying to keep things running until we can get back to Ironforge, but right now, I cant even get an audience with Bronzebeard, and my people in the city tell me theres no sign of Rediron anywhere. I have to assume its not safe for us there until I figure out whats going on, and we need to be able to keep working. There are too many agents in the field counting on us for support.

So, youre in charge now?

Basically.

And thats what it came down to. It wasnt just a job. Jim Kaos really needed my help. Alright. What do you need me to do?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Captain Jim Kaos produced a scroll and unrolled it across the table in front of us. It was a map of Gilneas. I have to tell you up front, Gilneas is probably a very dangerous place right now.

Well, yeah, if youve already lost three emissaries. I nodded.

They werent just emissaries. Well, the first one was. Standard diplomatic courier sent from Stormwind. Varian didnt waste much time when I told him about it. Hes got no love for the Forsaken.

So who were the next two?

The second was an SI:7 agent. Good kid. Flew into Gilneas City, just like the first emissary. And just like the first emissary, not even his gryphon returned.

And the third?

The third was one of mine. She was the best sniper in the ISS. Heres a picture. He set a picture of a dark-eyed brunette on the table. She had a small scar just above her left eye.

Where was she supposed to land?

Greymane Manor. We thought if the city was lost, there might still be someone at Genns palace, but, again, weve heard nothing. I told her if she didnt make contact, wed have someone meet her here, he pointed to a valley on the map not far from the manor, and get her out in one week. Were due to get her tomorrow, and I need to send someone that can extract her, fast.

If shes there.

I have to try. Shes one of mine.

You coming along then?

I cant. In fact, I need you to port me back to the Exodar as soon as possible. Fortran and I are going to meet with Tyrande and Malfurion at Darnassus in the morning to brief them and secure assets from the Night Elves. The breakup of the ISS has left the Alliance intelligence community in a weakened state at a very bad time.

I nodded. I understand. Can I bring some of my guys?

Kaos shook his head. No can do. Im sorry, Shadrach. I know its an impossible mission, but the fact is, nobody else on your team is human, and someone of another race would never be able to stay undercover there.

What if I dont find your sniper whats her name?

Nina Shaw. If you cant find her, try to find out whats going on in Gilneas. If you can reach the King, give him this, he handed me a letter bearing the seal of King Wrynn, and tell him the Alliance will support him.

Alright. Ill get my stuff, and get to Gilneas. I can be at the extraction point by morning if I port to Southshore and commandeer a gryphon from there.

Thanks for this, Shadrach. I owe you one. He offered me his hand. I shook it.

No problem. Just do me one favor.

Whats that?

Take my guys with you when I port you to Exodar. If I leave them here alone, Ill never be able to afford to pay the bar tab when I get back.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:57 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

If Gilneas was in bad shape, I didnt want to make Kaos agent wait any longer than absolutely necessary, so as soon as I ported him and the rest of my team to the Exodar, I teleported to Southshore. Even though it was late at night, I had no trouble finding a gryphon that could fly me to the extraction point.

The sun was just beginning to rise when I arrived. The area was wooded, except for a small glade at the bottom of the valley where the grypon could land. It stayed on the ground only long enough for me to dismount, and then it took off to return to its roost at Southshore.

I gripped my staff and looked around the glade. I had seen no movement as Id flown over, and, stranger yet, Id seen no lights over Gilneas at all during the flight. If the city and all the villages were completely blacked out, it did not bode well for the isolated nation.

There was no point in standing out in the open, so I headed for the treeline, determined to find a secure place to simply sit quietly, stay out of sight, and wait to see if Agent Shaw would arrive.

As I approached the trees, I suddenly noticed a pair of eyes looking at me in the darkness.

I stepped back. A dark figure leapt forward. I raised a shield of ice, but the creature deftly avoided it, and slashed at my midsection with a handful of sharp claws. It was barely a scratch, but before I could react, it she was on top of me, snarling in my face.

Id seen Worgen before, but none as fast or as strong as this one, and never a female. Her fur was entirely black, except for a small streak of silver over her left eye right where the scar would have been on

Nina Shaw? I groaned beneath the weight of the beast.

She paused, and there was a glimmer of recognition in her eye. But only for a second.

She let out a furious howl, and backhanded me across the chin. I passed out.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:57 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Some time must have passed. I didnt realize how much right away, but when I had my next conscious thought, I knew it had been more than just a few moments.

I awoke, screaming and naked, in the middle of a cave. I was bathed in an eerie light.

I staggered, disoriented. I didnt feel right. I was off balance. I was exhausted.

Did I mention I was naked?

In a cave.

Surrounded by Night Elves. Most of them women.

And Worgen. Worgen were everywhere.

I passed out again.

Tags
bolvar, creative