Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 01-24-2014, 09:46 AM

Elune

I think we don't know the full story yet (what with Kairoz and all).

Maybe Blizzard's able to suprise us (positively)?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 AM

Arch-Druid

The interesting thing to do would be to keep it around and integrate it into the setting. A whole intact Draenor with a portal to Azeroth opens up so many possibilities. Ignoring it and just bringing the Orcs and Draenei over is so lazy.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:03 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post
I think we don't know the full story yet (what with Kairoz and all).

Maybe Blizzard's able to suprise us (positively)?
I do like the irony of why Blizzard can't withhold the story and keep it a mystery while we constantly say they should do these things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:09 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
The interesting thing to do would be to keep it around and integrate it into the setting. A whole intact Draenor with a portal to Azeroth opens up so many possibilities. Ignoring it and just bringing the Orcs and Draenei over is so lazy.
Plus it would solve the problem of what to do with the Outland refugees, given that OL is falling apart slowly.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:27 AM

Elune

I don't think we're going to get the Vale treatment, and unless they haven't learn their lesson from Pandaria I don't think we're going to completly abandon it either.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:03 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Plus it would solve the problem of what to do with the Outland refugees, given that OL is falling apart slowly.

Why are the Draenei so keen to "rebuild" or "reseed" their civilisation there if that's the case?

Don't get me wrong, I always thought them wanting to do that was retarded due to the state of it/the fact the Legion can just waltz in whenever they please, but still, just wondering.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post

Why are the Draenei so keen to "rebuild" or "reseed" their civilisation there if that's the case?

(Don't get me wrong, I always throught them wanting to do that was retarded due to the state of it/the fact the Legion can just waltz in whenever they please.)
Because Draenei.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-24-2014, 01:06 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Because Draenei.
Godammit Noit, I just edited it after you quoted.

Now I'm forever going to have to see "throught" written by my own hand. I am shamed.

Also, yes, true, Draenei gonna Draenei. (Which is to say, stupid)
Old 01-24-2014, 01:22 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
I think the desintegration of Outland was stopped when the Mana Forges were dissabled. If Outland was falling apart, I think the realm would have been evacuated into Azeroth. From the WoW Comic, we saw people was still living there and from Wolfheart we learned that the Draenei were returning to it.

--

The idea of a second chance for Draenor and its people is awesome... But I hate the implications of duplicated characters. Unless all the duplicates were... nullified.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 01-24-2014, 01:34 PM

Elune

Even if the planet was breaking apart, I would assume that it would take years (decades) for it to happen. I think Outland is a doomed world even without the Legion.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-24-2014, 03:11 PM

Elune

Quote:
Even if the planet was breaking apart, I would assume that it would take years (decades) for it to happen. I think Outland is a doomed world even without the Legion.
Plus the whole place is a shithole, full of demon taint and mutants.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
Begs the question why they don't just strip mine the place. Hello Terrokar.

It might not be convenient to ship them back to Azeroth but there's no point in letting those resources go to waste whilst they're still standing.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Begs the question why they don't just strip mine the place. Hello Terrokar.

It might not be convenient to ship them back to Azeroth but there's no point in letting those resources go to waste whilst they're still standing.
By they, you mean the Orcs or the Goblins?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-24-2014, 03:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
By they, you mean the Orcs or the Goblins?
Orcs prior to the Alliance-Horde War.

Goblins any other time.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Given that the Draenei were reclocating to Outland, I would think that the demons' invasion was repelled/controlled by now. But I accept that floating in the Twisting Nether is not very safe haha

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 01-24-2014, 07:16 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
What I am curious about is if anybody here has any qualms with the proposal, or if there is any immediate issues with such a character (barring any time travel hullabaloo established in the expansion which indicates those native to this other Draenor cannot come back to Azeroth with us). What do you think?
I was actually having a hard time coming up with a good backstory for my draenei monk and this is one that occurred to me when Warlords was announced, and it also helped me flesh out what had been a fairly bland backstory for my old draenei warrior, Saniheen.

Basically, she was a bodyguard for a priest who eventually became one of the Auchenei, and so she sort of joins by default and defects after Exarch Maladaar's death. And from there her story kind of fizzled out and I lost interest in her, but once lore from Warlords started filtering in, it occurred to me: what if some draenei decided modern Outland was a lost cause? And then an old school untainted Draenor shows up? The premise of the expansion seems to be that we're going into Draenor to stop the Iron Horde from coming into Azeroth. But I don't think it's that far fetched for some characters to see it as a potential conquest; to reclaim the home they thought was lost forever and avert the tragic destiny they watched unfold firsthand.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephalim View Post
I was actually having a hard time coming up with a good backstory for my draenei monk and this is one that occurred to me when Warlords was announced, and it also helped me flesh out what had been a fairly bland backstory for my old draenei warrior, Saniheen.

Basically, she was a bodyguard for a priest who eventually became one of the Auchenei, and so she sort of joins by default and defects after Exarch Maladaar's death. And from there her story kind of fizzled out and I lost interest in her, but once lore from Warlords started filtering in, it occurred to me: what if some draenei decided modern Outland was a lost cause? And then an old school untainted Draenor shows up? The premise of the expansion seems to be that we're going into Draenor to stop the Iron Horde from coming into Azeroth. But I don't think it's that far fetched for some characters to see it as a potential conquest; to reclaim the home they thought was lost forever and avert the tragic destiny they watched unfold firsthand.
Isn't that part of Maraad's whole deal, with him becoming somewhat of a Warlord himself?
Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephalim View Post

I guess she'll have to kill her AU version Unless she has no problem with assuming another identity in WoD's Draenor (I think we should call it New Draenor or something like that).

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 01-25-2014, 08:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
I guess she'll have to kill her AU version Unless she has no problem with assuming another identity in WoD's Draenor (I think we should call it Neo Draenor or something like that).
Fixed that for you.

And while I think the plot of WoD is beyond atrocious and further butchery of not only Warcraft but an affront to all good storytelling, and while I think this I hope that Neo Draenor remains in existence and connected to Azeroth. It would be the one good thing to come out of this entire necromantic, character defiling nostalgia trip.

But Blizzard has this uncanny ability to make the worst possible choice at every turn when it comes to storytelling so I am not expecting this
Old 01-25-2014, 09:20 AM

Eternal

I'll reserve judgment until the next expansion. If we don't see, 'Highlords of Azeroth,' I'll be in the camp that AU characters should remain in their own timeline. If we get to see alternate Azeroth, I'll be find with AU characters coming to MU Azeroth. Its one thing to essentially try and give the Orcs and Draenei some population boosts due to the war pretty much demolishing the Orc's population and the Draenei not having a lot of people either. It's another thing to make this one sided and essentially void the consequences of the War that went from Cataclysm to Mists of Pandaria.

I'll be fine with the Horde getting a number of the old Chieftains and such. However, the Alliance should get some old characters back as well. I imagine that might be a solution to the whole Kul Tiras issue too. If it has no leader, maybe AU Azeroth's Derek Proudmoore can come over and lead it. Personally I'd like to see AU Arthas Menethil and MU Anduin Wrynn meet. I could see that as being potentially interesting. Granted it'd also be a pretty good chance for Blizzard to correct some of its other poor story decisions.

For example, Metzen's said he's wanted to bring back Illidan. Well, there should be one sitting in AU Azeroth. Same thing for Kael'thas. Some characters were killed off for raid fodder that shouldn't have been. It's an asspull to bring them back in this manner, but hell, it's an asspull I'm willing to accept so long as its kept balance.

In short, let's not use this AU stuff to just mean the Orcs suffer no consequences for the last war. Boost both sides and use it as a means to correct past errors in story telling. Then let's get back to the actual MU story somewhere at, say, the Burning Legion.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:34 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexander View Post
I'll reserve judgment until the next expansion. If we don't see, 'Highlords of Azeroth,' I'll be in the camp that AU characters should remain in their own timeline. If we get to see alternate Azeroth, I'll be find with AU characters coming to MU Azeroth. Its one thing to essentially try and give the Orcs and Draenei some population boosts due to the war pretty much demolishing the Orc's population and the Draenei not having a lot of people either. It's another thing to make this one sided and essentially void the consequences of the War that went from Cataclysm to Mists of Pandaria.

I'll be fine with the Horde getting a number of the old Chieftains and such. However, the Alliance should get some old characters back as well. I imagine that might be a solution to the whole Kul Tiras issue too. If it has no leader, maybe AU Azeroth's Derek Proudmoore can come over and lead it. Personally I'd like to see AU Arthas Menethil and MU Anduin Wrynn meet. I could see that as being potentially interesting. Granted it'd also be a pretty good chance for Blizzard to correct some of its other poor story decisions.

For example, Metzen's said he's wanted to bring back Illidan. Well, there should be one sitting in AU Azeroth. Same thing for Kael'thas. Some characters were killed off for raid fodder that shouldn't have been. It's an asspull to bring them back in this manner, but hell, it's an asspull I'm willing to accept so long as its kept balance.

In short, let's not use this AU stuff to just mean the Orcs suffer no consequences for the last war. Boost both sides and use it as a means to correct past errors in story telling. Then let's get back to the actual MU story somewhere at, say, the Burning Legion.
Except the Alliance doesn't need history to be rewritten to get heroes that it's missing back. Danath, Turalyon, Khadgar, Kurdran, Khadgar and Alleria are still alive. Warlords of Draenor gives the Orcs hope for having someone to actually fall in behind when the dust clears. Humans have that, and if you aren't satisfied with the Chin, Turalyon is out there coming soon. You talk about consequences for the wars as if it's the players own fault that they don't have any good orc heroes to relate with who are still alive.

After SoO, human fans could still at least hope that Turalyon could take over Varian's spot, that Danath could come and save Stromgarde, that Kul'tiras or Calia Menethil could actually make it in game. Whereas what did orcs have to look forward to? Nothing. WoD gave them hope at being something other than a punching bag, although they have plenty of that coming too.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 01-27-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Tags
alternate reality, warlocks of draenor