Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2016, 04:04 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Out of curiosity: would you all recommend Dark Souls to someone who's a mediocre-at-best gamer? Or should such a gamer go elsewhere?

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 07-29-2016, 04:12 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Out of curiosity: would you all recommend Dark Souls to someone who's a mediocre-at-best gamer? Or should such a gamer go elsewhere?
How accepting are you of the (highly likely) possibility of dying many, many times to one boss over and over again?

I'm nowhere near the best gamer myself, but Dark Souls, #1 anyway, does a good job, I think, of forging someone. I started off fumbling everywhere, getting killed by skeletons repeatedly.

By the end, I was a parrying master. (but not in PVP)

Your results may vary though. I think its worthwhile, especially if you can get it on sale. And if you play on PC, for the love of god use a controller.

(Dark Souls 3 is good too of course, but I don't know how well a newbie would handle it, as I finished DS1 first and "forged" there)
Old 07-29-2016, 04:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
I'd recommend Bloodborne if you have a PS4. The setting is more unique and I found it's a bit easier to get into than Dark Souls, albeit not by much.

But yes, I would recommend it. The thing about Dark Souls is that it's more about learning than it is about pure skill. You learn from your mistakes, you learn how the enemies function, their attacks, their range, where they come from, whether it be those first undead soldiers you encounter or a boss. Eventually, something will just 'click' right and you succeed. It's a very addictive feeling which is why the satisfaction of completing an area or a boss is so high.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
How accepting are you of the (highly likely) possibility of dying many, many times to one boss over and over again?

I'm nowhere near the best gamer myself, but Dark Souls, #1 anyway, does a good job, I think, of forging someone. I started off fumbling everywhere, getting killed by skeletons repeatedly.

By the end, I was a parrying master. (but not in PVP)

Your results may vary though. I think its worthwhile, especially if you can get it on sale. And if you play on PC, for the love of god use a controller.

(Dark Souls 3 is good too of course, but I don't know how well a newbie would handle it, as I finished DS1 first and "forged" there)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
I'd recommend Bloodborne if you have a PS4. The setting is more unique and I found it's a bit easier to get into than Dark Souls, albeit not by much.

But yes, I would recommend it. The thing about Dark Souls is that it's more about learning than it is about pure skill. You learn from your mistakes, you learn how the enemies function, their attacks, their range, where they come from, whether it be those first undead soldiers you encounter or a boss. Eventually, something will just 'click' right and you succeed. It's a very addictive feeling which is why the satisfaction of completing an area or a boss is so high.
Unfortunately, I don't own a console, so Bloodborne is not available to me.

Such was my understanding of Dark Souls. I'm not planning on getting it now, but I've been thinking about it as a future purchase (plus it's pretty cheap). My main reservation was that I heard there were pretty long gaps between save points. While I don't mind dying to a specific fight again and again, I might get frustrated with repeatedly going through an entire section of game.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 07-29-2016, 04:21 PM

Elune

Quote:

Admittedly it took me a long while for everything to fully click (Anor Londo, and the Silver Knights there, specifically. They made for terrific parrying tutors) but once it did, it just felt so satisfying, you're right. Even before finally getting parrying down pat, I felt so satisfied beating an area and the boss.

But god, when I finally got parrying? Superb.

And then you let the hubris take hold and a simple enemy hands you your ass to remind you this is Dark Souls, bitch.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't own a console, so Bloodborne is not available to me.

Such was my understanding of Dark Souls. I'm not planning on getting it now, but I've been thinking about it as a future purchase (plus it's pretty cheap). My main reservation was that I heard there were pretty long gaps between save points. While I don't mind dying to a specific fight again and again, I might get frustrated with repeatedly going through an entire section of game.
It isn't too bad overall. If there is one thing the Soulsborne games are good at, when Miyazaki is at the hands anyway, its shortcuts. You see it more in Bloodborne and DS3, but you still will typically find shortcuts that you open up as you progress and allows you to cut down time immensely.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:36 AM

Elune

Have I posted this before? Don't care, it's still hilarious.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:29 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Laurence's piece was nice, but not amazing. Maybe I'm just sick of hearing Cleric Beast and its remix after farming League rank.
I have to disagree. Laurence's theme is brilliant, particularly at 3:03, where it becomes an honest-to-god sonic metaphor for the road to hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:27 PM

Elune

We happy few preview was released a couple days ago.

It's interesting to say the least considering that it's still a "beta" form. Evidently sleeping in a bed causes people to attack you...

weird stuff lol
Old 07-30-2016, 06:02 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Dark Souls also has a pretty great setting, an incredibly depressing one when you actually think about it, but great anyway.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 07-30-2016, 07:32 PM

Elune

Playing Borderlands 2 with my friends.

Much more enjoyable with the dialogue turned off.

You should all still play the Witness.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:36 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Playing Borderlands 2 with my friends.
Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Much more enjoyable with the dialogue turned off.
ABSOLUTELY. FUCKING. DISGUSTING.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:51 PM

Elune

I have had multiple people try to get me to play Borderlands but I couldn't get into it. I usually like co-op games too.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
Great!

You know I'm right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
I have had multiple people try to get me to play Borderlands but I couldn't get into it. I usually like co-op games too.
The dialogue is bad. I literally have no idea what is going on, but it's fine.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:55 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
The combat is bad. For all the explosions on the screen, your bullets do remarkably little to your enemies' hit bars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:00 PM

Elune

Old 07-31-2016, 06:22 AM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
I know its late but yes, do it you filthy casual. I kept away from it for a while, biggest mistake of my life. Then I played it. Best decision of my life.

It's a really really weird feeling, like, you would think dying over and over would get tilting but for some reason it doesn't, because you feel like you are learning and the satisfaction of beating something difficult is awesome.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
The combat is bad. For all the explosions on the screen, your bullets do remarkably little to your enemies' hit bars.
If I weren't able to kill most enemies with a head shot, I think I would enjoy it a lot less.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:32 AM

Elune

Quote:

Yeah, he's really missing out.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:57 AM

Elune

Quote:

I....

what?
Old 07-31-2016, 10:58 AM

Eternal

Quote:

If you're seriously triggered by this one dialogue in the game, which is one of two options in the quest, so you don't even have to hear it (personally, that was the first time I ever heard this dialogue because I always went with the other option), then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
If you're seriously triggered by this one dialogue in the game, which is one of two options in the quest, so you don't even have to hear it (personally, that was the first time I ever heard this dialogue because I always went with the other option), then I don't know what to tell you.
Dont be triggered over someone pointing out bad dialogue, bro.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:13 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Dont be triggered over someone pointing out bad dialogue, bro.
I'm not. Just saying that saying "lol the whole game's shit" because of one bad dialogue is kinda dumb.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:17 AM

Elune

Quote:
I'm not. Just saying that saying "lol the whole game's shit" because of one bad dialogue is kinda dumb.
A unicorn made if diamonds is an entire bit in the game

Its dialogue is the "lul im so random" type that is cute at first, has some funny moments, but is generally unbearable.. in my opinion.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:19 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Nein.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:20 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
A unicorn made if diamonds is an entire bit in the game

Its dialogue is the "lul im so random" type that is cute at first, has some funny moments, but is generally unbearable.. in my opinion.
Eh, fair enough. Borderlands humor and writing is pretty decisive. You either love or hate it.

Tags
damn cubes, general thread, literally video games, video games, wololo