Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-13-2009, 07:58 AM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
PS: I think that yogg might be dead, because when your in his head, you assault his soul directly. The titanic energy the heroes recieved might have enabled them to attack yoggs soul. If that died, then they could kill him without harming the planet.
Doesn't explain why the Titans themselves couldn't kill the Old God's without harming the planet. Personally, I'd prefer if the Old God's couldn't be killed. I would find it more interesting than "these guys that the god-like Titans couldn't kill are suddenly vulnerable to you mortal guys. Go kill 'em." I'd also be curious about a Burning Legion vs Old Gods war, but that may just be me.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC

Last edited by SomeRandomEvilGuy; 12-13-2009 at 08:00 AM..
Old 12-13-2009, 08:34 AM

Sentinel Queen

I think that the old gods, who are " parasitic" and " symbiotic" life fom, just merged with azeroth at some place.

We have some tangible proof of that : Saronite, Sillithist, and Bloodstone.

Their blood is slowly mutating any minerals it touch into another material, Yogg Saron Blood made Saronite, C'thun Blood made Silithyst ( unproven but likely) and another Old god made Bloodstone around Lordaeron.

It can be a stretch, but if the old gods parasited the crust of Azeroth deep beneath the earth, and if, once destroyed, the minerals they " created " begins to disappear, would it not make Azeroth Crumble on itself and provok a giant cataclysm that'll destroy most of the continents? That could be why the Titans decided not to kill them and keep them chained beneath the earth. And maybe they then placed the Well of Eternity to prevent the corruption going further and healing / slowling the corruption over the course of time ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Nothing, this is Scrolls of Lore, every conversation on here slowly distills down to Sylvanas, Lorderon or Worgen. I'm pretty sure that theres a mathematical truth to this.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:52 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
PS: I think that yogg might be dead, because when your in his head, you assault his soul directly. The titanic energy the heroes recieved might have enabled them to attack yoggs soul. If that died, then they could kill him without harming the planet.
I definetly see your point. It's an interesting thought, but I still think that his soul is bound to the planet in the sense that it will begin to regenerate. Look at C'thun; we went inside of him and attacked him from inside, and left nothing but a lifeless husk, yet he still whispered to Med'an.

But then again, the HoS hinted that the Old Gods were extra-terrestrial, so I dunno if they could really be bound to the planet.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by engal View Post
I think that the old gods, who are " parasitic" and " symbiotic" life fom, just merged with azeroth at some place.

We have some tangible proof of that : Saronite, Sillithist, and Bloodstone.

Their blood is slowly mutating any minerals it touch into another material, Yogg Saron Blood made Saronite, C'thun Blood made Silithyst ( unproven but likely) and another Old god made Bloodstone around Lordaeron.

It can be a stretch, but if the old gods parasited the crust of Azeroth deep beneath the earth, and if, once destroyed, the minerals they " created " begins to disappear, would it not make Azeroth Crumble on itself and provok a giant cataclysm that'll destroy most of the continents? That could be why the Titans decided not to kill them and keep them chained beneath the earth. And maybe they then placed the Well of Eternity to prevent the corruption going further and healing / slowling the corruption over the course of time ?
Bloodstone is a theory only. Also where does it say the Well of Eternity was put in after the old gods were defeated?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Bloodstone being the blood of an old god is explicitly spelled out in Warden Belamoore's journal.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=3711
Old 12-13-2009, 08:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Bloodstone being the blood of an old god is explicitly spelled out in Warden Belamoore's journal.

Since Saronite is the color of Yogg-Saron could the rumored Old God under Tirisfal be red? That would be cool.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Elune

Quote:

Explicitly? Why does Warden Belamoore wonder where the blood could come from for 15 pages?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
Also where does it say the Well of Eternity was put in after the old gods were defeated?
The Warcraft III manual.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
The Warcraft III manual.
That was before they changed the story to the titans leaving and then coming back to fight the old gods remember?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
That was before they changed the story to the titans leaving and then coming back to fight the old gods remember?
Both the Warcraft III manual and the Tribunal of Ages have enough vagueness about them to fit together.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
Both the Warcraft III manual and the Tribunal of Ages have enough vagueness about them to fit together.
I don't see how. The Warcraft III manual says that the titans came to Azeroth and fought/chained the elementals and their masters, the old gods. They then put the Well of Eternity. The Tribunal of Ages says that the titans created their earthen, giants, etc. and left but found out something was awry. They came back to find the whole old gods situation and fought/chained them.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:04 PM

...And then placed the WoE. Why is that hard to reconcile. Presumably, the use of arcane magics by the old gods inspired them to make the WoE during their 2nd trip.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
...And then placed the WoE. Why is that hard to reconcile. Presumably, the use of arcane magics by the old gods inspired them to make the WoE during their 2nd trip.
That is a possibility, but all we are told is that the Well of Eternity was put there to "...empower life to take root in the land’s rich soil." and not to imprison the old gods. In fact, the old gods used the Well for themselves.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
That is a possibility, but all we are told is that the Well of Eternity was put there to "...empower life to take root in the land’s rich soil." and not to imprison the old gods. In fact, the old gods used the Well for themselves.
Who said anything about imprisoning them? They just got the idea the 2nd time around, and I do remember another reason the WoE was placed was to consolidate all the arcane magic in once place.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Maybe the WoE was to counteract the Old Gods' ilk to some extent, and help life. The Old Gods only used it with outside help.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:47 PM

The Digger

I do find the idea of the well being a prison to be rather interesting. Going by the theory that there's an old god in the maelstrom, that would mean that there had been an old god directly beneath the well.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 PM

Elune

I thought someone said it was to chain them. Either way, in Warcraft III we are told that the titans did everything when they first got to Azeroth; make their creations, fight the elementals and old gods, create the Well of Eternity, etc. The Tribunal of Ages said the titans had to come back a second time to fight the old gods, that is all. It doesn't mention changing the creation of the Well to occur after their second visit.

Quote:
Maybe the WoE was to counteract the Old Gods' ilk to some extent, and help life. The Old Gods only used it with outside help.
They were trying to escape with outside help. They were able to use it without outside help though. Even when their plan to escape failed, they still were able to transform the highborne into the naga too.

Last edited by Rolandius; 12-13-2009 at 10:58 PM..
Old 12-14-2009, 05:06 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:

Yeah, bloodstone is one of the reasons why people believe there's an Old God chained down Tirisfal Glades. Then, they link that with the high elves' first settlement and DotD's Krasus' lair and voilá, there's an Old God under Tirisfal Glades.

I think Kaja'mite could be the blood of the "Magic" Old God, while Silithyst would be no doubt C'Thun's.

Also, Bloodstone could just be Silithyst, taken from Silithus by the forsaken, just because both are red.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 12-14-2009, 05:16 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Yeah, bloodstone is one of the reasons why people believe there's an Old God chained down Tirisfal Glades. Then, they link that with the high elves' first settlement and DotD's Krasus' lair and voilá, there's an Old God under Tirisfal Glades.

I think Kaja'mite could be the blood of the "Magic" Old God, while Silithyst would be no doubt C'Thun's.

Also, Bloodstone could just be Silithyst, taken from Silithus by the forsaken, just because both are red.
Has anyone mentioned the stuff that made the ogre mages in Outland so smart? I know it is Outland but it still is sort of similar to Kaja'mite.

Why does Lesser Bloodstone Deposits look gray?

Shouldn't Krasus have known that there was an old god below his lair? Either sensing it or knowing about because the Aspects were around when the old gods were chained. All he said was that he could see creatures swimming at the bottom of it.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 AM

Yeah, Kaja'mite being an old god mineral was a theory of mine pretty much since Dark Factions came out. Originally I though elementium was c'thun's mineral, but Silithyst did seem more likely.

As for those ogres- are you talking about the Apexis crystals? While it's never been said to be connected to the old gods... the Arakkoa do have very loose ties to both Ogri'la AND an old god... so there may be more to it than we think (probably not, though).

As for Krasus' sanctum... who's to say he doesn't know about the old god there? Maybe that's why he built his sanctum there, to keep an eye on it.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:34 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Do not forget the blank space on the map that ties it all together!

Quote:
Convoluted much? Bloodstone far predates the near-loreless Silithyst (in terms of when players fround out about them).

Quote:
Shouldn't Krasus have known that there was an old god below his lair? Either sensing it or knowing about because the Aspects were around when the old gods were chained. All he said was that he could see creatures swimming at the bottom of it.
Krasus is not an Aspect (Knaak would rather he be the mate of one).

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah, Kaja'mite being an old god mineral was a theory of mine pretty much since Dark Factions came out. Originally I though elementium was c'thun's mineral, but Silithyst did seem more likely.

As for those ogres- are you talking about the Apexis crystals? While it's never been said to be connected to the old gods... the Arakkoa do have very loose ties to both Ogri'la AND an old god... so there may be more to it than we think (probably not, though).

As for Krasus' sanctum... who's to say he doesn't know about the old god there? Maybe that's why he built his sanctum there, to keep an eye on it.
Apexis crystals. Those are it.

The thing about Kaja'mite and the Apexis crystals is that they seem to make creatures smarter. I don't think we have heard about that with the other old god minerals. Also why would something from an old god make you smarter? Sounds like a good thing, while they are evil.

Krasus didn't seem to know anything about the thing though. He didn't even know what was swimming down in it.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:18 PM

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. The only common theme about old god blood is that they're mind altering in some capacity, kaja'mite is nootropic while saronite is hallucinogenic. Perhaps bloodstone was the reason for the forsaken asylum seekers' strange behavior, and perhaps silithyst's percieved value is related to some kind of mind altering property as well.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. The only common theme about old god blood is that they're mind altering in some capacity, kaja'mite is nootropic while saronite is hallucinogenic. Perhaps bloodstone was the reason for the forsaken asylum seekers' strange behavior, and perhaps silithyst's percieved value is related to some kind of mind altering property as well.
If we connect each mineral as being from an old god, so far it looks like this on Azeroth correct?

C'thun = Silithyst
Yogg-Saron = Saronite
? = Kaja'mite
? = Bloodstone
Old God from Warcraft III = ?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:27 PM

Old God from Warcraft III? You mean the forgotten one that's been pretty much confirmed to be Yoggy?

In any case, that chart seems to be mostly correct.