Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 06-15-2015, 04:54 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Default Na'shra and the Blademasters

Can we talk about Orc Blademasters?

Old lore had them exclusive to the Burning Blade, yet Na'shra shows that there was at least one among the Frostwolves. If we assume the world is larger than represented, then you can bet there's at least a few of them.

That leads me to wondering: If it isn't one clan's tradition, then what? How did these traditions arise? Why does the Blade seem to favor them over others?

Hallvalor, at least, shows a number of different clan colors coming to bare. You have regular Mag'har, grey skinned 'Blackrocks', these mutilated looking assholes... What's going on with that? Is the old lore holding up, here, and the Clan serving as a sort of elite hegemony among the clans?

So, speculation, discussion, whatever you want. Help me understand these guys better.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:17 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Na'shra being a Blademaster is no longer mentioned, so she might just be in the same situation Grom is in. Blademasters that aren't Blademasters officially.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:32 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:09 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Na'shra being a Blademaster is no longer mentioned, so she might just be in the same situation Grom is in. Blademasters that aren't Blademasters officially.
She has the same weapon and sashimo, though, so it leaves me to wonder. Don't often see that.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:52 PM

Eternal

She isn't a blademaster. They specifically change her name from Blademaster in the beta. She is a Weaponsmith.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:07 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Well, at least, there is Mankrik too. He is affiliated with the Frostwolves in Nagrand. Back in MU, he seems to be a blademaster.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:58 AM

Warden

I was under the impression that a "Blademaster" was simply a competent practitioner of a particular style of combat, and that it was most prevalent within the Burning Blade Clan. Blademasters exist outside the Burning Blade, but the overwhelming majority are a part of it.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:46 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post
I was under the impression that a "Blademaster" was simply a competent practitioner of a particular style of combat, and that it was most prevalent within the Burning Blade Clan. Blademasters exist outside the Burning Blade, but the overwhelming majority are a part of it.
Yep, that's the way I see it, too.
Maybe the Art of the Blademaster is an age-old tradition of the Burning Blade.
Some choose to join the trials to become part of the Burning Blade (which explains the different skin-colors) in time. (in both MU and AU)
Others who have a 'lifetime' of fighting experience or are splendid craftsmen can attain something close to a Blademaster - a la Nash'ra or Mankrik or Grom.

For example, my first orc warrior RP-char (even though pretty noobish, back then) - was not from the Burning Blade. But he spent most of his youth time among a group of orcs who had to hide in the Swamp of Sorrows after the Second War. Leader of that group was a Blademaster, someone he looked up too, who teached him and others how to fight and survive, told them about the old ways, etc.

As his unit traveled through Outland during BC, he got to see more of the orc-culture he never really experienced. Even though he was more of a Raider/Wolfrider, using a long one-handed blade, he let a friend smith a larger blade from him and changed to a more traditional leather-armor - to honor his mentor's life and abilities.

He would've never called himself a Blademaster and I would've never let him use something like Mirror Image or Burning Blades iCly. He would "mimic" a Blademaster and train as much as he could for the rest of his life to even get -close- to a real blademaster's abilities.

And my Personal headcanon:
Normally only the older and more experienced orcs of the Burning Blade were considered BladeMASTERS.
But the 1/2 War forced the Clan to muster more orcs for all-out war and the abilities that defined a blademaster were watered down. Especially when fel-induced magically-aged youths were trained.
Same thing happened in the AU when the Iron Horde called for war. = That's why the Burning Blade Village in Nagrand is full of trainees from many clans. It's not a pure clan settlement anymore, it has become a war academy of sorts.

Last edited by RikuEru; 06-16-2015 at 09:48 AM..
Old 06-16-2015, 10:01 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuEru View Post
Yep, that's the way I see it, too.
Maybe the Art of the Blademaster is an age-old tradition of the Burning Blade.
Some choose to join the trials to become part of the Burning Blade (which explains the different skin-colors) in time. (in both MU and AU)
Others who have a 'lifetime' of fighting experience or are splendid craftsmen can attain something close to a Blademaster - a la Nash'ra or Mankrik or Grom.

For example, my first orc warrior RP-char (even though pretty noobish, back then) - was not from the Burning Blade. But he spent most of his youth time among a group of orcs who had to hide in the Swamp of Sorrows after the Second War. Leader of that group was a Blademaster, someone he looked up too, who teached him and others how to fight and survive, told them about the old ways, etc.

As his unit traveled through Outland during BC, he got to see more of the orc-culture he never really experienced. Even though he was more of a Raider/Wolfrider, using a long one-handed blade, he let a friend smith a larger blade from him and changed to a more traditional leather-armor - to honor his mentor's life and abilities.

He would've never called himself a Blademaster and I would've never let him use something like Mirror Image or Burning Blades iCly. He would "mimic" a Blademaster and train as much as he could for the rest of his life to even get -close- to a real blademaster's abilities.

And my Personal headcanon:
Normally only the older and more experienced orcs of the Burning Blade were considered BladeMASTERS.
But the 1/2 War forced the Clan to muster more orcs for all-out war and the abilities that defined a blademaster were watered down. Especially when fel-induced magically-aged youths were trained.
Same thing happened in the AU when the Iron Horde called for war. = That's why the Burning Blade Village in Nagrand is full of trainees from many clans. It's not a pure clan settlement anymore, it has become a war academy of sorts.
Could be Na'shra was among the lot, but withdrew with Durotan's refusal for unity. Could be interesting stuff, here.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:03 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
Could be Na'shra was among the lot, but withdrew with Durotan's refusal for unity. Could be interesting stuff, here.
That would be cool, too. So she stayed true to her clan-chiefs command AND said "Fuck it. If they don't show me, I'll try to do it myself. So first, I need to make a blade!" ...and along came the random adventurer.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:54 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuEru View Post
That would be cool, too. So she stayed true to her clan-chiefs command AND said "Fuck it. If they don't show me, I'll try to do it myself. So first, I need to make a blade!" ...and along came the random adventurer.
Na'shra for Warchief.

Given this, we can maybe figure Galvangar having a similar history. Pretty neat.

Last edited by Hagrid; 06-16-2015 at 10:26 PM..
Old 06-17-2015, 09:12 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
Na'shra for Warchief.

Given this, we can maybe figure Galvangar having a similar history. Pretty neat.
Right! He had such a blade, too!

Well anyway, it's another point for WoD being lackluster in lore-points, even though they had the chance to finally give as pages and pages about orc and draenei lore/culture/history/"classes" etc.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:46 AM

Keeper of the Grove

All the pieces were there, they just decided to leave it.... Shame Shame Shame.

Paints the clan in a positive light, though. Thought the class was a Japanese stereotype, but now they've got some real meat.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:33 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecay View Post
Well, at least, there is Mankrik too. He is affiliated with the Frostwolves in Nagrand. Back in MU, he seems to be a blademaster.
Mankrik is definitely from Burning Blade in MU.

However, Blademasters were not BB-exclusive since their creation. WC3 had Jubei'thos a Fel Blademaster of an offshoot of the Blackrock Clan, who wielded the Blackrock banner instead of Burning Blade's one.

Tags
tastetu mah brade