Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 06-20-2015, 07:00 AM

Drunk Assassin

Dwarves. Dwarves everywhere.

Personally I'd like to see the dwarves muscle back in on Alterac Valley/Dun Baldar, Dun Garok and Bael Modan whilst the Horde recovers. For Bronzebeards at least, Dark Irons can make inroads back towards Blackrock Mountain and the Wildhammers can consolidate in the ex-Twilight Highlands and Hinterlands.

Get that glorious Sovereign Imperative going again.

And yeah short of Blizzard retconning it I can only really justify the lack of Stormwind's Cataclysm problems going into MoP and WoD as Ironforge handing out massive loans.

Basically with a few exceptions I'd say all Contested territories fall under the Alliance or strong Alliance influence. That's the only way to really hit the Horde with the "You lost the war" bat without taking anything substantial away.

Last edited by Thunderbraid; 06-20-2015 at 07:11 AM..
Old 06-20-2015, 10:08 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
Basically with a few exceptions I'd say all Contested territories fall under the Alliance or strong Alliance influence. That's the only way to really hit the Horde with the "You lost the war" bat without taking anything substantial away.
It'd be difficult to occupy so much land, but they'd definitely control a lot of them. Anything between the Blasted Lands and the Wetlands would be Alliance-controlled, for sure. Ditto with the Plaguelands (possibly through Argent management), Hillsbrad (assuming there's anything worthwhile there), and Arathi. The Horde might be allowed a small presence in Stranglethorn, since that's the troll homeland (in a sense).

Kalimdor, Ashenvale and everything to the north would go to the Alliance. I can see the Horde keeping a bit of a presence in Stonetalon (possibly based on tauren claims, which the Alliance might choose to respectin part to weaken the Horde internally). In Feralas, the tauren might be allow to keep Camp Mojache, but I wouldn't be certain. The South Barrens would fall mostly under Alliance control, with a Horde-run transit corridor to the North Barrens.

I see the Steamwheedle Cartel taking over the rest of Kalimdor.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 06-20-2015, 11:33 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Overgrowth comes from the Wailing Caverns, which was - for a long time - held by the Night Elves. Naralaxx hoped to replenish the barrens with it. How different things would be if that had happened.

As for the Overgrowth itself... Didn't Alliance reclaim Northwatch?

Edit: How do the two factions interact, now? Border conflicts? Cold War interaction? Even... Cooperation?

Last edited by Hagrid; 06-20-2015 at 11:37 AM..
Old 06-20-2015, 04:03 PM

Elune

I think Sylvanas may give up Gilneas, it's pretty much used up from her PoV (infrastructure wrecked, resources and corpses already pilfered mostly), but nothing else. If pressed beyond this point I think she'd just go to war. And at that point it's a tough situation because if the Horde lets her go their reputation is terribly tarnished (especially in the eyes of prospective partners) but if they stand with the Forsaken they risk another war they can ill afford, I don't think Alliance would be too crazy for another major war either but lorewise I can see them gritting their teeth and seeing this thing through once and for all.

Of course we are assuming here that Blizzard gives half a crap about this, they likely won't even consider the lands beyond Gilneas if that.

Also, I've always loved thinking about the geopolitical stuff of Azeroth. The resources and economies, building up power, vying for position, realpolitik, intrigues... but it is painfully obvious Warcraft is not that kind of franchise, it likely never will be, and it's a major part of why I'm pretty much done with Warcraft for a while now.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:27 PM

Eternal

The Horde isn't in a position to do much. They have a gun to their head and the Alliance is probably just waiting for an excuse to pull the trigger and say "Well we tried. What a shame".
Old 06-20-2015, 05:56 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I think Sylvanas may give up Gilneas, it's pretty much used up from her PoV (infrastructure wrecked, resources and corpses already pilfered mostly), but nothing else. If pressed beyond this point I think she'd just go to war. And at that point it's a tough situation because if the Horde lets her go their reputation is terribly tarnished (especially in the eyes of prospective partners) but if they stand with the Forsaken they risk another war they can ill afford, I don't think Alliance would be too crazy for another major war either but lorewise I can see them gritting their teeth and seeing this thing through once and for all.

Of course we are assuming here that Blizzard gives half a crap about this, they likely won't even consider the lands beyond Gilneas if that.

Also, I've always loved thinking about the geopolitical stuff of Azeroth. The resources and economies, building up power, vying for position, realpolitik, intrigues... but it is painfully obvious Warcraft is not that kind of franchise, it likely never will be, and it's a major part of why I'm pretty much done with Warcraft for a while now.
It's not coming back.

Better off settling in other worlds that they force us to go to.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:41 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

The Territories I'd see the Alliance, the Horde retaining, and the ones that remain in a neutral state are..:

Ashenvale
Felwood
Feralas(Wasn't ever really contested, when you compare the military forces in each...)
Northern Stonetalon
Gilneas(on paper, at least)
The Hinterlands
Arathi Highlands
Swamp of Sorrows
Tol Barad (again, on paper. That Island has so many problems that nobody can deal with it at the moment...)
Twilight Highlands

Horde Controlled:

Silverpine
Andorhal(Sylvanas already won in that area, with the Alliance survivors in Chillwind pretty much saying they were retreating and packing it in)
Hillsbrad
The Barrens
Azshara
Southern Stonetalon
Desolace (Nijel's point being destroyed during Horde questing)

Neutral:

Thousand Needles
Dustwallow Marsh (undoubtedly a small Alliance force near/around Theramore, the Horde aligned Ogres still live there.)
Stranglethorn
Blasted Lands
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 06-22-2015, 04:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post

The geopolitical stuff was never particularly important, but you could infer or come up with some pretty interesting things back in the day. But now, it's gotten so wrapped up in the awkward Faction War and the various heroic personalities that it's nearly impossible (for me, at least) to make sense of it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 06-22-2015, 04:55 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
The geopolitical stuff was never particularly important, but you could infer or come up with some pretty interesting things back in the day. But now, it's gotten so wrapped up in the awkward Faction War and the various heroic personalities that it's nearly impossible (for me, at least) to make sense of it.
Nah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:52 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Nah.
Yes.

It's literally impossible for us to come up with anything interesting.

It cannot be done.

Anyone who makes the attempt is a fool.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:54 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Anyone who makes the attempt is a fool.
Then I am a foolish fool.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:21 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Stop having fun, nerds.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:31 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post
Then I am a foolish fool.
Not as foolish as me.

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 06-22-2015 at 10:37 PM..
Old 06-23-2015, 07:01 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Truly, there is none greater.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:00 PM

Banished

The Alliance does Appeasement.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
No one cares about Draenor.

What's up with the Alliance and Horde, after Hellscream's downfall?
Literally nothing has changed hth.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.