Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 03:57 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
You're on a website called 'scrolls of lore'. I think it's safe to assume you know more about the storyline and it's characters more than the regular Joe Shmoe who plays an orc warrior and makes PVP montages for his YouTube channel.
Of course we know who is Taylor. Hes the spirit guy in Spires who died because Nazgrim died first and that was considered Horde bias.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirnheim View Post
I had a feeling the orcs are gonna be hyped as "MUH NOBLE SAVAGE" archetype with this movie I knew it
I don't mind that they want to make the orcs more sympathetic in the movie. It's movie canon, which means it's completely unrelated to the game canon. Frankly, I preferred the Orcs having a more sympathetic role, but they completely ruined any chance the orcs had at redemption over the course of the expansions we've had for WoW.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:04 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
I don't mind that they want to make the orcs more sympathetic in the movie. It's movie canon, which means it's completely unrelated to the game canon. Frankly, I preferred the Orcs having a more sympathetic role, but they completely ruined any chance the orcs had at redemption over the course of the expansions we've had for WoW.
The thing is, there's no way the Orcs actions can be justified or made to look sympathetic for a Warcraft 1 movie. Good Orcs come later, we shouldn't get a sympathetic Orgrim as he was nothing more than a butcher.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:04 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Challenge accepted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:05 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: kam#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
The thing is, there's no way the Orcs actions can be justified or made to look sympathetic for a Warcraft 1 movie. Good Orcs come later, we shouldn't get a sympathetic Orgrim as he was nothing more than a butcher.
from what the live blogs said the movie teaser seemed to focus on durotan and draka trying to "find food for their people" on draenor and oh we should be sad she's pregnant

they don't mention that draenor got fucked up ruined because of the orcs using demon blood lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:06 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Challenge accepted.
How about a Blizzard-styled redemption where everyone forgives your monstrous actions for no reason instead of the characters actually trying to redeem themselves? It's all we're ever getting in the forseeable futur.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:09 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
from what the live blogs said the movie teaser seemed to focus on durotan and draka trying to "find food for their people" on draenor and oh we should be sad she's pregnant

they don't mention that draenor got fucked up ruined because of the orcs using demon blood lol
Frostwolves have always been the good orcs, where's this whitewashing I've heard about?
Old 07-11-2015, 04:10 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Perculia is just a time traveler from 1885 who happens to work for Wowhead.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:12 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Frostwolves have always been the good orcs, where's this whitewashing I've heard about?
Frostwolves aren't good Orcs, they're indifferent Orcs. They won't actively try to murder you, but they won't care if others force them to do so.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:13 PM

Banished

Frostwolves are the boring orcs.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:14 PM

Elune

Why is the tag line for the movie Two Worlds. One Home.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:16 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
This is Quirnheim we're talking about. He's switched from apologist back to wanting nothing more than to talk about how Blizzard wants us sucking off Vol'jin or the orcs.

It's his thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:17 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Why is the tag line for the movie Two Worlds. One Home.
The Orcs screwed Draenor so much it's impossible to live there. So there can only be one home and the Humans have to die for that.

The tag line sucks.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:20 PM

Banished

quirnheim shitposts more than myself.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:20 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
The Orcs screwed Draenor so much it's impossible to live there. So there can only be one home and the Humans have to die for that.

The tag line sucks.
#forgiveness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:23 PM

Eternal

Quote:

Durotan's story as portrayed in Rise of the Horde which is the timeframe we are talking about is about a character who is powerless to stop his people got completely down the toilet and is left struggling just to protect those under his care and keep some shreds of honor in a situation where honor doesn't line up well with survival.

That's the tragedy of Durotan's tale, or at least it was.

That's not something you can effectively convey in a trailer, particularly if there is anything else in the trailer.

Its kind of beside point. In the original story at least the orcs weren't aware that Fel energy was killing their world. Since then WoW has pretty much snuffed out any reasonable argument in the Orcs defence.

Last edited by Lutinz; 07-11-2015 at 04:25 PM..
Old 07-11-2015, 04:38 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post

Its kind of beside point. In the original story at least the orcs weren't aware that Fel energy was killing their world. Since then WoW has pretty much snuffed out any reasonable argument in the Orcs defence.
Durotan needing food is also a very real concern in Rise of the Horde. They were all mustered together in Hellfire and the 'stronger' and more aggressive clans were always raiding one another, killing and stealing from their fellow orcs. The Frostwolves were seen as weak and were attacked and robbed of food often.

On a mean spirited note: But god forbid the Frostwolves look sympathetic, right? Slurp slurp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:41 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anasterian View Post
Durotan needing food is also a very real concern in Rise of the Horde. They were all mustered together in Hellfire and the 'stronger' and more aggressive clans were always raiding one another, killing and stealing from their fellow orcs. The Frostwolves were seen as weak and were attacked and robbed of food often.

On a mean spirited note: But god forbid the Frostwolves look sympathetic, right? Slurp slurp?
The Frostwolves should look as what they were. Sideliners that didn't have the bravery to challenge the times to come, taking part in atrocities because they were too weak to resist.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 07-11-2015, 04:43 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
The Frostwolves should look as what they were. Sideliners that didn't have the bravery to challenge the times to come, taking part in atrocities because they were too weak to resist.
Are you telling me that Frostwolves are the average German to the Warsong's Nazi Party Orcs?
Old 07-11-2015, 04:47 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Are you telling me that Frostwolves are the average German to the Warsong's Nazi Party Orcs?
Exactly. The clans that resisted and got wiped out were like the germans that resisted.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 07-11-2015, 04:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Exactly. The clans that resisted and got wiped out were like the germans that resisted.
Who are the Sorbs then?
Old 07-11-2015, 04:54 PM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Loboan#2416

Quote:
The issue is that the writers who work on out-of-game pieces like the short stories, novels, Lords of War/Shaohao videos, and so on, are far more talented than the people who write the in-game story content. They're entirely separate teams operating on their own with what seems like very little communication between them. More often than not, the people who write the in-game lore are just quest designers who have a very basic idea of the story and characters.

As an example, Muffinus admitted to being the guy who wrote the dialogue and story for Nazgrim in 5.4, despite not being a story guy at all. He's a senior designer, not a creative developer or historian. While I personally like the Nazgrim story and how he was handled in 5.4, it's indicative of a larger problem when designers with a loose handle on lore are the ones writing the story, while the actual writers' work is pushed to the side.

This issue was furthered by Sean Copeland who mentioned the fact that historians aren't allowed to overrule a quest designer's work. If they decide to write a story that contradicts previous lore, they can only advise them to change it to adhere to the canon. If they decide not to change anything, that is suddenly the new canon and the historians can't do anything about it.

Lore and story simply isn't as valued at Blizzard as they want you to believe. They like toying with broad concepts, not details. It probably won't ever improve.
I wonder if the people who wrote the StarCraft novels and comics have to deal with the same level of crap as the people who made the supplementary material for WoW.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:02 PM

Loremaster

It wasn't so much lack of bravery; the situation was such that Durotan's public prominence kept him and his clan from being eliminated as a threat despite their misgivings, but at the same time, they couldn't openly oppose the direction of the orcs because if they did it would be just the grounds Gul'dan would need to discredit them, overriding the other clans' respect for Durotan and branding the Frostwolves enemies of the Horde.

Challenging Gul'dan at the time would have served only to reinforce his position, because it would have been the very opening he needed to cast off the protection of the other orcs' respect, paint the Frostwolves as traitors, and completely discredit Durotan in the eyes of the other clans.

Comparing the Frostwolves to "average Germans" isn't really accurate, because "average Germans" were still the civilian majority in Nazi Germany, while the Frostwolves were a tenuously insulated minority. Despite being a dictatorial government, maintaining a positive public image was an ongoing concern of the Nazis' propagandists, as they knew that enough potential P.R. disasters (and there were plenty) could turn the masses against even them if not properly spun and/or covered up.

Last edited by ARM3481; 07-11-2015 at 06:02 PM..
Old 07-11-2015, 05:49 PM

Banished

Blizzard destroys your hype.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:47 PM

World Builder

The Frostwolves suck and have always sucked from what I've gathered, what has their caution and self control ever won them in the longterm?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Closed Thread