Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-30-2013, 03:17 PM

Elune

Default Early EK concept map

So I was at a bookstore earlier today flipping through the Art of Blizzard book when I found this map I hadn't seen before. I have no idea whether it was made for WC2, WC3, or WoW but a lot of things in it stood out to me.

I apologize for the quality, it's just a photo taken from my phone:

The first things I noticed were the names on the left side. Kalimdor is "Calendore." Another thing is that Lordaeron is labeled "of Quel'Thalas." Was that the planned name of the continent at the time? Speaking of Quel'Thalas, it was going to have a world tree in it. And Grim Batol was goblin-controlled?

And lastly, I apologize for the blur on this, but in the mountains under the Plaguelands is the Dark Portal of all things.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:24 PM

Elune

Wow, that is pretty damn neat.

There's Zul'Dare again..... WTF happened to that place?

Strange coicidence. The Pilgrims in Ashenvale, Gilneans, are experts in troll stuff. I always figured that's how they learned to be such experts. ZD.

No Gilneas, Dalaran in it's place. That's cool.

A world tree in ZA?

To Valganoc? Is that what it says? What does it say under Lordaeron (on the continent itself) can't make it out.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:26 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
To Valganoc? Is that what it says?
To Valgarde. That's the Alliance town in Howling Fjord.

Quote:
What does it say under Lordaeron (on the continent itself) can't make it out.
It says "(Necropolis)", if you mean the part near where Undercity should be.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
To Valgarde. That's the Alliance town in Howling Fjord.
That's a good sign. I like that.

Quote:
It says "(Necropolis)", if you mean the part near where Undercity should be.
Yeah, that's it.

Now under Tarren MIll, are they calling those islands Tol Borad?

And below the Badlands script, does that say Mao Elves?
Old 11-30-2013, 03:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Now under Tarren MIll, are they calling those islands Tol Borad?
I think so. I didn't actually buy the book and am just going off memory to figure out the blurs, sorry.

Quote:
And below the Badlands script, does that say Mao Elves?
It's "Mad Elves."

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
I think so. I didn't actually buy the book and am just going off memory to figure out the blurs, sorry.

It's "Mad Elves."
Ahh, just didn't look like they spelt it as Tol Borad. Maybe called it something else. A pity.

Mad Elves?

Oh now that's interesting.... interesting....
Old 11-30-2013, 03:43 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
There's Zul'Dare again..... WTF happened to that place?
I asked Loreology whether the "Isle of Purgation" is the same as "Zul'dare." I have not yet heard back.

Quote:
No Gilneas, Dalaran in it's place. That's cool.
How is that cool? It's actually closer to where it originally was on the WC2 map:

Quote:
A world tree in ZA?
There's one in the troll hinterlands, so it's not that far-fetched.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I asked Loreology whether the "Isle of Purgation" is the same as "Zul'dare." I have not yet heard back.
I've asked as well, no answer back yet as well. Personally, I think it was destroyed in the Cata. Would've been interesting to have had trolls attacking during the Gilnean starting zone.

Quote:
How is that cool? It's actually closer to where it originally was on the WC2 map:
Because evidently there never was a Gilneas. Or for that matter, Alterac but the Alterac mountains. Just interesting to see how they were working out the human kingdoms and just who and where they would end up.

Quote:
There's one in the troll hinterlands, so it's not that far-fetched.
Didn't think it was farfectched. Just thought it was interesting that they had the world tree in QT before moving it south.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:26 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
I've asked as well, no answer back yet as well. Personally, I think it was destroyed in the Cata. Would've been interesting to have had trolls attacking during the Gilnean starting zone.
Trolls would have been a much better option than the ettin and ogres.

Quote:
Because evidently there never was a Gilneas. Or for that matter, Alterac but the Alterac mountains. Just interesting to see how they were working out the human kingdoms and just who and where they would end up.
I doubt there was never a Gilneas, especially given its presence in Warcraft 2. It's much like WoW where Gilneas was there but inaccessible.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:43 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Trolls would have been a much better option than the ettin and ogres.

I doubt there was never a Gilneas, especially given its presence in Warcraft 2. It's much like WoW where Gilneas was there but inaccessible.
If you think about it. It would have made for great foreshadowing and tying in for MoP.

The trolls of Zul'Dare, their home destroyed, moved into Gilneas in an attempt to take that as their own- added hook Gilneas was part of the ZD troll empire before the Gilneans pushed them out to that island and they've been furious ever since, only to be in the middle of the war between the Gilneans and the Forsaken.

A triple threat over Gilneas.

Then after being expelled, the ZD trolls joined with the Zandalari and would've been a great story hook for the Gilneans in MoP. The ZD made a deal with the Zanda. "We help you with what's going down in MoP and you'll help us take back Gilneas. Because all land is troll land."

And the Gilneans would do what it takes to stop the Zanda and the ZD trolls.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:27 PM

Revenant - Moderator

It looks like Quel'Danas was Quel'Danas early on. There was the Sunwell Grove, which was on a nameless island that was part of Quel'Thalas, and there was Quel'Danas in the RPG, which was the main dragonhawk roost. So, they were always the same location? Hm.

The world tree might be Seradane.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:37 PM

Revenant - Moderator

The Collector's Edition "making of" DVDs have similar things.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:04 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

I remember a dark portal around western plaguelands on the alpha pics.

Last edited by Temo; 11-30-2013 at 06:10 PM..
Old 11-30-2013, 08:17 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temo View Post
Likely the Portal used by KT and Arthas to communicate with Archimonde. I think it was owned by the fel Blackrock that lived in Alterac.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 11-30-2013, 08:33 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
Likely the Portal used by KT and Arthas to communicate with Archimonde. I think it was owned by the fel Blackrock that lived in Alterac.
Actually, Google sent to an old thread in this same forums, about the dark portal i talk about xD

http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...?t=4710&page=3

Second pic first post xD
Old 12-01-2013, 04:00 PM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Actually, Google sent to an old thread in this same forums, about the dark portal i talk about xD

http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...?t=4710&page=3

Second pic first post xD
Bitchin'. I remember that.

I wish I remember how I got the alpha client to work, though.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:29 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Dark Portals were used in the alpha and early beta to show where instances would be. It was a neat way to see instance ideas that got dropped such as how there was a instance that originally was in Azshara at the Bay of Storms.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:56 AM

Elune

I wish I had taken a picture of the southern parts. Next time I stop by Barnes & Noble I'll try to remember to.

I think the "Lonely Church" and "Ruined Temple" pointed out in the Plaguelands were what became Light's Hope Chapel.

With that said, goodbye.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:01 AM

Eternal

The World Tree belongs to the Blood Elves, now and forever!
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017

Tags
cartography, concept art, warcraft