Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 04-14-2015, 11:36 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether Farahlon

6.2 is nearly ready on the PTR so Hellfire Citadel should be released in about a month or two, and the next expansion won't be announced until November (with its release being around February 2016ish.) Though there are thirteen bosses in the next raids, its still a pretty significant time for us to spend in Tanaan Jungle so do you think there's any chance that Blizzard will release Farahlon/Netherstorm as a max-level daily zone similar to the Timeless Isle? Presumably they've already done some work on the zone before they scrapped it so they wouldn't have to create the place from scratch. Here's some fan's rendition of what Farahlon could look like:

The ethereals are the only big element from The Burning Crusade that hasn't been seen on Draenor yet and the Primal overgrowth appears to originate in Farahlon, so it would be good to see more of those two. Would you like to see Farahlon and do you think Blizzard will add it in the down-time between Hellfire Citadel and the next expansion? And what do you think the zone would be like?

Last edited by Shaman; 04-14-2015 at 11:56 AM..
Old 04-14-2015, 11:54 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post

The ethereals are the only big element from The Burning Crusade that hasn't been seen on Draenor yet and the Primal overgrowth appears to originate in Farahlon, so it would be good to see more of those two. Would you like to see Farahlon and do you think Blizzard will add it in the down-time between Hellfire Citadel and the next expansion? And what do you think the zone would be like?
I wouldn't really expect to see the Ethereals though, since the only reason they showed up on Outland was because of it going kablooey and whatnot. They don't really have much of a reason to be present on Draenor. That said, Blizzard could always write a way for them to be here.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if they suddenly bring in Farahlon like that. Not sure what the zone would be like, though. Originally it would've been jungle-y like southern Gorgrond I think, but remember that the name it was known by was the Fields of Farahlon, which imply more of a prairie like place.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:31 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Here's the Farahlon quest from 6.2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadgar
<name>, have you ever heard of Farahlon? Archmage Vargoth would never stop talking about it - beautiful fields and forests dotted with natural crystalline formations that make it the magical nexus of Draenor. It's nearly impossible to get to. The magical storms in the seas around it are frequent and unpredictable.

For your ring, we'll need a magical artifact from Farahlon. You will need an absolutely top-notch crew to sail safely to the region and get back alive. Choose carefully and get me that artifact!
Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Here's the Farahlon quest from 6.2:
I take it that's just a garrison quest? We don't actually go there?
Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
I take it that's just a garrison quest? We don't actually go there?
It unlocks a special garrison naval mission that you can only do while on that quest. It's just for your followers.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Do we even know when the Ethereals got to Draenor? I assume it was after Illidan took over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:10 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Do we even know when the Ethereals got to Draenor? I assume it was after Illidan took over.
The Ethereum and Protectorate arrived after Kael'thas' followers accidentally blew up Manaforge Ultris, with the Ethereum coming to hunt down Dimensius (and empower themselves with the other invading void spawns' energies), and the Protectorate following to stop them.

It's hard to say if the merchant Ethereals in the Consortium and the other hostile Nexus Princes' forces were already there sooner, or if they accompanied the Ethereum and Protectorate.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:14 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

The Ethereals didn't show up until Outland got thrown into the nether, so I'd doubt their au version showing up.
I crave Farahlon so much.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:50 PM

Eternal

I... really don't see Farahlon happening. Maybe as a hailmary to try and stave off the 6.2 content draught, but introducing a Timeless Isle-like zone without any other accompanying content would be completely unprecedented, and they're not going to do a raid when Hellfire wraps up all of the WoD narratives so effectively. Nobody liked Ruby Sanctum and everyone saw it for the stopgap measure it was.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:02 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
I... really don't see Farahlon happening. Maybe as a hailmary to try and stave off the 6.2 content draught, but introducing a Timeless Isle-like zone without any other accompanying content would be completely unprecedented, and they're not going to do a raid when Hellfire wraps up all of the WoD narratives so effectively. Nobody liked Ruby Sanctum and everyone saw it for the stopgap measure it was.
It may not happen as a major zone, but it'd make little sense to completely ignore the gap between 6.2 and 7.0, especially given 6.1's lack of actionable content. I'd be publicly boycotting Blizzard if we had only one real content patch in 2 years given the price-content ratio of the past.

That said, I'd be fascinated to see the Ethereals in Farahlon prior to its fall into the Nether. Between the Titan and Apexis artifacts, much less the raw magic of the Primals/Breakers, it doesn't strike me as a place they'd ignore exploring. Maybe not as a full-fledged installation, but a scouting party (setting the stage for the Atam'al crystal search) isn't exactly anathema to their own methods.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
It may not happen as a major zone, but it'd make little sense to completely ignore the gap between 6.2 and 7.0, especially given 6.1's lack of actionable content. I'd be publicly boycotting Blizzard if we had only one real content patch in 2 years given the price-content ratio of the past.

That said, I'd be fascinated to see the Ethereals in Farahlon prior to its fall into the Nether. Between the Titan and Apexis artifacts, much less the raw magic of the Primals/Breakers, it doesn't strike me as a place they'd ignore exploring. Maybe not as a full-fledged installation, but a scouting party (setting the stage for the Atam'al crystal search) isn't exactly anathema to their own methods.
The ethereals are, to a great extent, one of the few original-to-BC elements that haven't been at least referenced in WoD so far, but I also feel like the argument that they had no reason to pay attention to Draenor before it was pulled into the Twisting Nether is pretty airtight.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
The ethereals are, to a great extent, one of the few original-to-BC elements that haven't been at least referenced in WoD so far, but I also feel like the argument that they had no reason to pay attention to Draenor before it was pulled into the Twisting Nether is pretty airtight.
I completely agree, but I feel like we've played out the other storylines to their conclusion by 6.2. We see the fall of the Iron Horde, the eternal fight of Primals vs Breakers, the Arrakoa's acceptance of their fall, the Ogres empire become dust, and the Legion stymied. Even the Void elements are technically covered by 6.2.

The two plots left are Ashran and Gul'dan, both of which could segue into the next expack (per other posters). Farahlon's assets could fall into both camps, but likely not with a real Iron Horde presence. So, if there's going to be environmental interaction, we'd need to see a (relatively) nascent faction show its face. Not necessarily Ethereals, but they aren't bad candidates either.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:21 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
I completely agree, but I feel like we've played out the other storylines to their conclusion by 6.2. We see the fall of the Iron Horde, the eternal fight of Primals vs Breakers, the Arrakoa's acceptance of their fall, the Ogres empire become dust, and the Legion stymied. Even the Void elements are technically covered by 6.2.

The two plots left are Ashran and Gul'dan, both of which could segue into the next expack (per other posters). Farahlon's assets could fall into both camps, but likely not with a real Iron Horde presence. So, if there's going to be environmental interaction, we'd need to see a (relatively) nascent faction show its face. Not necessarily Ethereals, but they aren't bad candidates either.
It just feels incredibly awkward to introduce a zone like that.

I feel like Farahlon is Azjol-Nerub 2.0 at this point. I'm happy to be wrong on this, but I don't think I will be.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Shadow Orb

Quote:
The Legion in Tanaan could draw their attention though - or they might see the demon prescence as bad for business and avoid the area. If what Khadgar says is any indication though, Farahlon has always been a hub of arcane energy which would attract the ethereals' attention. In fact Dimensius himself could be drawn to those fields, so if the Consortium hear about that then they will definitely show up to hunt the void-beast down.

Its probably safer for the ethereals to do their business in Farahlon than Netherstorm anyway.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:41 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Do we even know if the Ethereals had their planet blown up yet by this point in the timeline? As much as I loved Netherstorm I don't think they'd have anything to do with it this far back in the past.

And as much as I'd love new content I'm not wholly sure what there is to put in Farahlon that's not going to be a rehash of other zones. I'd like some high magic stuff but that doesn't seem too #savage
Old 04-15-2015, 12:52 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Hardly airtight, just not really bothered with.

If the AU Ethereals' planet has been destroyed by now, all it would take is for one of Draenor's void-saturated areas (like Oshu'gun or the Shadowmoon locales) to lure Dimensius out of the Void, and you'd have an in for an AU Ethereum and/or Protectorate to show up.

At the same time, all it would take to justify the MU Consortium making an appearance is to play with the old TBC Dungeon Daily theme of "We've got some wealthy clients back in our universe looking for specific items from pre-exploded Draenor that don't exist any more in Outland. Care to help us fill these orders in exchange for a bit of spending money?"

The Protectorate/Ethereum/Void conflict is admittedly trickier to shoehorn in without distracting from other plots, but one of the best ways to utilize the merchant side of the Ethereals has been to portray them as tradesmen/contractors, sniffing around for adventurers they can pay to do some dungeon diving for rare and lucrative goods on behalf of various mysterious clients. And really, that sort of thing isn't necessarily constrained at all by where we happen to go for a given expansion.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:14 AM

Banished

If Blizzard seriously think people will put up with yet another content gap like this, they're very much mistaken.

There has to be a filler patch before the next expansion, even if it's nothing new in terms of Dungeons/Raids; some new Daily stuff and maybe some filler story to go with that would cut it, at least for me, but eh.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:15 AM

Elune

Quote:
Quote:
Archmage Vargoth would never stop talking about it - beautiful fields and forests dotted with natural crystalline formations that make it the magical nexus of Draenor. It's nearly impossible to get to. The magical storms in the seas around it are frequent and unpredictable.
Maybe these are related? We could travel there and do something with the Primals. I have to wonder what the island off the southern coast was supposed to be.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:50 AM

Eternal

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, or DTube.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:01 AM

Owl Scout

I really, really want to see it as 6.4 content.

Tags
cut content, ethereals, farahlon, netherstorm, speculation, warlords of draenor