Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 07-07-2009, 10:56 AM

Warden

Angry Cataclysm is NOT a WoW Expansion!

Alright, I've been a lurker far too long, but this recent violent upheaval about Blizzard trademarking Cataclysm is going way out of hand. I don't think we should jump to the conclusion that it is a new WoW expansion off of little to no information. Here are a few reasons why:

1. "World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade" sounds cool
"World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King" also sounds cool
"World of Warcraft: Cataclysm"... It's missing that punch. A phrase or collection of words would sound a lot cooler, and pull in a lot more people. Sure, it can include the word Cataclysm, but ONLY the word cataclysm? A bit of a marketing stretch in my honest opinion.

2. Most people are bringing up the definition of Cataclysm, and somehow believe that is HAS to do with water, no doubt whatsoever.

cat⋅a⋅clysm  /ˈkætəˌklɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kat-uh-kliz-uhm]
–noun
1. any violent upheaval, esp. one of a social or political nature.
2. Physical Geography. a sudden and violent physical action producing changes in the earth's surface.
3. an extensive flood; deluge.
(Courtesy of www.Dictionary.com)

Okay.. one of the definitions is a flood, I'll give you that. But one describes any major disaster, such as a volcano, earthquake, etc. whereas the other describes a meltdown of society. So, yeah, the possibility of it being something to do with the Maelstrom is possible. Or it could talk about a social meltdown with a full loss of logic and meaning, reverting us to our most primitive stages of humanity[(see Michael Jackson's Death)Excuse the "trolling"... just had to get that out]. Or, even a giant disaster.

3. Blizzard has trademarks for "World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade" and "World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King". "Cataclysm" has no World of Warcraft in front of it.

4. A few months ago, Blizzard announced a next-generation MMO in the works. They also have 2 other franchises, Diablo and Starcraft. In the lore conditions of Diablo and Starcraft, both are in pretty crappy times, and a major disaster would greatly add to the fun of the games.

Of course, I may be completely wrong. I'm just saying it's too early to get our panties in a knot and have our minds set on this game being a Maelstrom expansion.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:21 PM

Eternal

I agree. I dont think Cataclysm is the expansion either, but its very possible. But I think its very fun to create stuff such as Drakonids and South Sea expansions
Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
I agree. I dont think Cataclysm is the expansion either, but its very possible. But I think its very fun to create stuff such as Drakonids and South Sea expansions
Please someone qoute all the times he said it was an expansion, or the times he used that name in his 'expansion predictions'.

By the way welcome sicilian necktie!
Xie wants YOU to check Wulfang brainchild RIGHT NOW. SO click on this text
Old 07-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Eternal

What? So just because I posted in the "South Seas Plot" thread I must instantly think its the next expansion? -.-
I didnt even post level caps in that thread.

I have expansion ideas about both Elemental Plane, Twsiting Nether, Great Sea and Emerald Dream. And race ideas from Drakonids to Mok'nathal, That doesnt mean I think they will come.

But yes, it is very possible that it is the next expansion but I dont think so.

edit: Omg Lon-Ami is right. Tel'abim and Gilneas is refrenced. Now I dont know which expansions to pick! :S

Last edited by RobLore; 07-07-2009 at 03:30 PM..
Old 07-07-2009, 03:45 PM

Huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicilianNecktie View Post
Alright, I've been a lurker far too long, but this recent violent upheaval about Blizzard trademarking Cataclysm is going way out of hand. I don't think we should jump to the conclusion that it is a new WoW expansion off of little to no information. Here are a few reasons why:

1. "World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade" sounds cool
"World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King" also sounds cool
"World of Warcraft: Cataclysm"... It's missing that punch. A phrase or collection of words would sound a lot cooler, and pull in a lot more people. Sure, it can include the word Cataclysm, but ONLY the word cataclysm? A bit of a marketing stretch in my honest opinion.

2. Most people are bringing up the definition of Cataclysm, and somehow believe that is HAS to do with water, no doubt whatsoever.

cat⋅a⋅clysm  /ˈkætəˌklɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kat-uh-kliz-uhm]
–noun
1. any violent upheaval, esp. one of a social or political nature.
2. Physical Geography. a sudden and violent physical action producing changes in the earth's surface.
3. an extensive flood; deluge.
(Courtesy of www.Dictionary.com)

Okay.. one of the definitions is a flood, I'll give you that. But one describes any major disaster, such as a volcano, earthquake, etc. whereas the other describes a meltdown of society. So, yeah, the possibility of it being something to do with the Maelstrom is possible. Or it could talk about a social meltdown with a full loss of logic and meaning, reverting us to our most primitive stages of humanity[(see Michael Jackson's Death)Excuse the "trolling"... just had to get that out]. Or, even a giant disaster.

3. Blizzard has trademarks for "World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade" and "World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King". "Cataclysm" has no World of Warcraft in front of it.

4. A few months ago, Blizzard announced a next-generation MMO in the works. They also have 2 other franchises, Diablo and Starcraft. In the lore conditions of Diablo and Starcraft, both are in pretty crappy times, and a major disaster would greatly add to the fun of the games.

Of course, I may be completely wrong. I'm just saying it's too early to get our panties in a knot and have our minds set on this game being a Maelstrom expansion.
Your definition of "Cataclysm" is sort of off. Cataclysm's root word is from ancient greek which generally means "wash down" or "Deluge" etc. to do with water. Cataclysm, coupled with the fact wowcataclysm.com is now under the godaddy.com domain holder(which blizzard use to manage their URLs) and the fact the "expansions" list from 03/04 suits the name "cataclysm".
The Arthas book did some foreshadowing with the "laughter from the ocean deep" etc. from what i can tell with the "expansions list" and the name "cataclysm" the naga will surface trying to take the surface while the alliance and horde are bashing each others heads in (if something doesn't quell the fighting).

If you go by the Expansions list i sorta theorize that Cataclysm will fill in the "seas" in-game Gilneas, Tel Abim, Plunder isle, broken isles and Nazjatar. which would set the scene for new races and dealing with the elemental invasions, and the nightmare.

The sundering is also known as "Cataclysm" just in the case people were unaware.

Last edited by Nyx-; 07-07-2009 at 03:53 PM..
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 PM

Warden

I do, of course, believe that the next expansion will include the islands in the south seas, along with grim batol and gilneas. However, I'm just saying I truly doubt that the name will be purely "World of Warcraft: Cataclysm". Now, is it a placeholder? Maybe so. They might change just the word Cataclysm to a phrase that sounds more... epic than the word itself. As for Blizzard taking the wowcataclysm.com domain... I never knew that. Interesting...
Old 07-07-2009, 07:45 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I think Blizzard just intends us to shorten the full name of the expansion to "Cataclysm" in the same way many people call "Wrath of the Lich King" "Lich King".

"World of Warcraft: Cataclysm" doesn't sound that good... but "Warcraft: Cataclysm" does. Perhaps a new warcraft game? Nah.

You know what I hope for? Blizzard would finish up Lord of the Clans and release it as a digital download. I still want it, damnit!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:57 PM

Eternal

Well, WotLKs site is worldofwarcraft.com/wrath

worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm ?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:41 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I believe they'll announce the next expansion soon, but that doesn't mean cataclysm has anything to do with it.

If they aren't creating hype, I really doubt it's Warcraft related (unless they're commercializing cataclysm tier ).

Also, a cataclysm could be interpreted as something new that could change the market. Battle.net 2.0. Also, they have at least other 2 games, one of them a new gen MMO and one of them a new franchise.

Also, welcome SicilianNecktie, and good first post .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-08-2009, 05:59 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Also, they have at least other 2 games, one of them a new gen MMO and one of them a new franchise.
Those two are one and the same as far as we know.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
Those two are one and the same as far as we know.
No they aren't. They confirmed it some time ago.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-08-2009, 06:08 AM

Eternal

Quote:
No they aren't. They confirmed it some time ago.
Show me where. I remember only them saying that the new MMO is a new franchise.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:26 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyx- View Post
Cataclysm, coupled with the fact wowcataclysm.com is now under the godaddy.com domain holder(which blizzard use to manage their URLs) and the fact the "expansions" list from 03/04 suits the name "cataclysm".
/facepalm

Because surely only Blizzard uses GoDaddy?

And surely this can't be true:
http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIsVerify.a...rog_id=godaddy
Quote:
Registrant:
Jamie Taylor
222 Rutland Avenue
Carlisle, Western Australia 6101
Australia

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: WOWCATACLYSM.COM
Created on: 26-Jun-07
Expires on: 26-Jun-10
Last Updated on: 02-Jul-09

Last edited by Warlock; 07-08-2009 at 07:28 AM..
Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
Show me where. I remember only them saying that the new MMO is a new franchise.
Last time (I believe) was here: http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comm..._next_gen_mmo/

Read comments for links, too.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Last time (I believe) was here: http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comm..._next_gen_mmo/

Read comments for links, too.
I´m 99% positive that Xhartat´s right and that they claimed that the next MMO they´re making is an entirely new franchise. It´s in some interview somewhere.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 AM

Keeper of Lore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
I´m 99% positive that Xhartat´s right and that they claimed that the next MMO they´re making is an entirely new franchise. It´s in some interview somewhere.
Yes they did
Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 AM

Eternal

Sorry, but Medieval's hunches doesn't confirm anything. I had hunches about first WoW expansion being Outland and second Northrend, and happened to be right. It doesn't mean I will be right forever.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 AM

Elune

What I'm saying is that there are 2 projects and not just one.

The new gen mmo and the new ip. The new ip is using WoW 3d engine.

The new gen MMO has been confirmed to be a 100% new franchise.

But note that the only source saying the MMO is a new franchise is Kotaku, and, well, they said Hydra was a new ip, too, and it was Diablo 3.

Last edited by Lon-ami; 07-08-2009 at 08:28 AM..
Old 07-08-2009, 10:18 AM

Keeper of Lore

There is no way they will reuse the WoW engine. It's a dog. It's like 6 years old at this point.

Also, Blizzard specifically said the new MMO was a new franchise. Not Kotaku.

Edit: Took two seconds to find this:
http://www.massively.com/2009/05/13/...s-original-ip/

Quote:
We have nothing to advertise for the new MMO because it's a shell of a game thus far. We've already stated it'll be a brand new franchise, which means the lore, art, and game play are being developed entirely from scratch. It's an overwhelming process, but a process through which we excel. Our track record supports this.

Last edited by Warlock; 07-08-2009 at 10:20 AM..
Old 07-08-2009, 11:09 AM

Eternal

That´s the one i was talking about Warlock.

And it´s supposed to be a "Next Gen" MMO and really the WoW engine is already pretty damn old and there´s several MMO´s with more pwoerfull graphics out there.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 PM

Elune

They're only using the WoW engine until they finish the new one. But, well, you can get conclusions as the style of the game looking by what engine they're using right now... I think.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:22 PM

Keeper of Lore

Quote:
They're only using the WoW engine until they finish the new one. But, well, you can get conclusions as the style of the game looking by what engine they're using right now... I think.
o_O What does this even mean?
Old 07-08-2009, 01:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
That because a previous Blizzard game has this style, Blizzard obviously brings it to the next one. I mean don't you see the simualarities with SC2 and Warcraft 3? Its the same man style!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:36 AM

Eternal

For the record, I think that "Wrath of the Lich King" is as stupid a title as "Attack of the Clones".

Tides of Darkness: Cool
Beyond the Dark Portal: Cool
Reign of Chaos: Cool
The Frozen Throne: Cool
The Burning Crusade: Cool
Wrath of the Lich King: Nope

I hope for World of Warcraft: Diet of Steel
Old 07-09-2009, 03:31 AM

Elune

Yeah... all the other titles referenced to some event or place in the game. WotLK... well, if not for the Wrath Gate, I would think they're referring to the LK being pissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Placeholder engine.

For me, it just mean they will have a similar engine: 3rd person and whatever in a 3D enviroment. Absolutely not an RTS, then. FPS or RPG probably.

Tags
ancient history