Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 PM

Arch-Druid

Post Concerning the possible Old God beneath Tirisfal

Whenever a discussion of the Old God's is brought up, someone will always speculate that there is one below Tirisfal Glades, or very near there. The proof is usually laid out by sighting the High Elves flight from the area after some of them went insane, and also usually mentions the unused area to the west of the zone.

So I'm a little surprised that on of my favorite horde quests never gets mentioned that sends you in to execute some perceived Forsaken traitors in the Dalaran internment camp. They each carry a piece of a material called Bloodstone, and when you kill the wizard who is watching over their captivity, you receive her jounal, which contains some of the most ominous in-game lore i can remember hearing, and all but spells out that she belives this Bloodstone is connected to a Old God, and that the Forsaken are playing with fire.

Of course this is one of the many ambiguous, unfinished detours Blizzard took with vanilla quests, the kind that added a real mystery to the old world that doesn't exist in Outland, Northrend, and probably won't in the redesigned areas since all the quests are being reset. Two thoughts though: 1.) Does anyone think this will ever be followed up on? (I'd say no) and 2.) Would a Old God underneath Northern Loerdaron explain alot of thing (Arthas losing his soul, Sylvanas losing her mind and essentially becoming the Horde's own Lich Queen)?

Last edited by jjstraka; 09-30-2010 at 03:24 PM..
Old 09-30-2010, 06:22 PM

Ranger

Do we really need an Old God to explain Sylvanas's descent into madness?

Is it really so hard to believe that being killed in a (implicitly) messy, slow, and painful way only to be raised by the person who killed you as a slave to his will/undead monstrosity (a hot one though ) and then after regaining your free will living only to gain vengeance on that person might well break you mentally?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:35 PM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekar View Post

Is it really so hard to believe that being killed in a (implicitly) messy, slow, and painful way only to be raised by the person who killed you as a slave to his will/undead monstrosity (a hot one though ) and then after regaining your free will living only to gain vengeance on that person might well break you mentally?

If she weren't said to have changed by one of her apothecaries i'd agree.

And though I don't WANT something to be influencing her (Cause blizz has bashed her enough ) I think something is.

Namely frostmournes missing pieces.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekar View Post

No, probably not. But most people SEEM to agree there is one around this part of the world, just a thought, it probably has nothing to do with it, but I always thought this quest was quite revealing. It's entirely possible that Blizz has no plans for it. In all likelihood she is just basking in her own evil power.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 AM

Sentinel Queen

Well, there are a lots of hints there...

- High elves ( well, highborne) came here and heard whispers, became crazy, went to Quel Thalas.

- there is a zone called "Whispering shores" there

- There is the quest mentioned earlier, and those bloodstone that seems to be another kind of Saronite, Silithist and such

- And the strange golems guarding undercity in the RPG books ( yeah, I know, rpg books...)

- And a rumor about Krasus having a sanctum of his own there and hearing whispers too ( apparently )

So... mmm, it's kinda fishy.

Moreover, since Cataclysm they have revamped the western area, and curiously there is some level 80-81 creep there, a strange mushroom circle with "fey-drunk darter" all around... So they may have a use of this zone during this expansion , maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Nothing, this is Scrolls of Lore, every conversation on here slowly distills down to Sylvanas, Lorderon or Worgen. I'm pretty sure that theres a mathematical truth to this.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:02 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Dude, epic necropost. WTF?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:07 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Dude, epic necropost. WTF?
I used the search function , wanted to talk about that and knew there was a thread, so I used it instead of creating a new one :p

Quote:
Nothing, this is Scrolls of Lore, every conversation on here slowly distills down to Sylvanas, Lorderon or Worgen. I'm pretty sure that theres a mathematical truth to this.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:52 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstraka View Post
Whenever a discussion of the Old God's is brought up, someone will always speculate that there is one below Tirisfal Glades, or very near there. The proof is usually laid out by sighting the High Elves flight from the area after some of them went insane, and also usually mentions the unused area to the west of the zone.

So I'm a little surprised that on of my favorite horde quests never gets mentioned that sends you in to execute some perceived Forsaken traitors in the Dalaran internment camp. They each carry a piece of a material called Bloodstone, and when you kill the wizard who is watching over their captivity, you receive her jounal, which contains some of the most ominous in-game lore i can remember hearing, and all but spells out that she belives this Bloodstone is connected to a Old God, and that the Forsaken are playing with fire.

Of course this is one of the many ambiguous, unfinished detours Blizzard took with vanilla quests, the kind that added a real mystery to the old world that doesn't exist in Outland, Northrend, and probably won't in the redesigned areas since all the quests are being reset. Two thoughts though: 1.) Does anyone think this will ever be followed up on? (I'd say no) and 2.) Would a Old God underneath Northern Loerdaron explain alot of thing (Arthas losing his soul, Sylvanas losing her mind and essentially becoming the Horde's own Lich Queen)?

No I don't think that an Old God is behind EVERYTHING, Arthas' fall was caused by the Lich King(through you cans say that the Old God was behind his more radical choices), and Sylvanas had to do what she had to do for the survival of the Forsaken. But I won't be surprised if there is an Old God down there, and that he is starting to surface
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul
Old 05-20-2011, 01:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by xie323 View Post
No I don't think that an Old God is behind EVERYTHING, Arthas' fall was caused by the Lich King(through you cans say that the Old God was behind his more radical choices), and Sylvanas had to do what she had to do for the survival of the Forsaken. But I won't be surprised if there is an Old God down there, and that he is starting to surface
Nah, it's just easier to blame everything bad in Azeroth happening because an Old God is behind it somehow...

It's "Simpson's did it!" but more.... evil...
Old 05-20-2011, 04:18 PM

Eternal

I feel that it is more possible that there is an Old God under the Twilight Highlands and under the Ashenvale/Stonetalon region as there is quite a lot of Old god activity there.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:27 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Orb of Fire

I've got this strange feeling that the Bastion of Twilight might not be where we think it is. Notice, we never actually see the place in the Twilight Highlands. All we see is a spire and a portal that takes us to the place. Wherever it is, it has to be somewhere deep underground and volcanic as can be seen in the background of the Halfus fight. They even leave the location of the place intentionally vague in the official website description, hinting that it's actual location remains unknown and is of some significance.

In all likelihood it's probably just some cavern near Grim Batol, but I'm going to throw a curve ball out there and say ... Mount Kajaro?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:23 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I've got this strange feeling that the Bastion of Twilight might not be where we think it is. Notice, we never actually see the place in the Twilight Highlands. All we see is a spire and a portal that takes us to the place. Wherever it is, it has to be somewhere deep underground and volcanic as can be seen in the background of the Halfus fight. They even leave the location of the place intentionally vague in the official website description, hinting that it's actual location remains unknown and is of some significance.

In all likelihood it's probably just some cavern near Grim Batol, but I'm going to throw a curve ball out there and say ... Mount Kajaro?
Since there is Sinestra as an optionnal boss inside it's more beneath Grim batol ^^

Quote:
Old 05-20-2011, 09:12 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post

All of the art assets for it are labeled "grimbatolraid", so, there's that, too.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:18 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
I feel that it is more possible that there is an Old God under the Twilight Highlands and under the Ashenvale/Stonetalon region as there is quite a lot of Old god activity there.
On the alliance side of stonetalon I thought the old god presence was random and forced.

I mean the quest could have theoretically been named "Suddenly: Tentacles!" and it would have been fine.

There was little to no warning of it, just suddenly you turned around and fought tentacles and easily dispatched a faceless one.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:41 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xie323 View Post
They are not behind everything, but most of it.

Without them no curse of flesh, no demon soul, no Cataclysm, no nagas, no.. well, almost everything not involving the Burning Legion, which is.. mm well, at least 75% of Azeroth crap.

Quote:
Old 05-21-2011, 09:04 AM

Arch-Druid

I sincerely doubt they would pull the old god card out on the Forsaken, but that aside... are the undead even susceptible to old god mind-rape?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:36 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
I sincerely doubt they would pull the old god card out on the Forsaken, but that aside... are the undead even susceptible to old god mind-rape?
I suspect no based on certain things mentioned by the faceless ones. It could be that the whispers forsaken players get are really just a gameplay thing or a lack of blizzards vision. That would actually be a good question to bring up at Blizz Con really.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:45 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
I suspect no based on certain things mentioned by the faceless ones. It could be that the whispers forsaken players get are really just a gameplay thing or a lack of blizzards vision. That would actually be a good question to bring up at Blizz Con really.
You're right. We know that the Scourge undead are inmune to Old Gods whispers, but that could be a consequence of not having "mind"... The Forsaken, in the other hand, have dead bodies, but a "living" mind.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 05-28-2011, 10:53 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
I sincerely doubt they would pull the old god card out on the Forsaken
Well they did do the whole "there must always be a Lich King" that was taken from Diablo and Broodwar. They could just be reusing the Wings of Liberty story line. They have foreshadowed such things in the past.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:11 AM

Sentinel Queen

The Dev confirmed that there was no Old God under Tirisfal, but added that it wasn't recommended to dig there...

So what could be under there of terrible, making whisper ( hence whispering shores / whispering forests area ) and be malevolent ( bloodstone ) ?

I'll maybe add... Since there are a lots of reference to Tyr in Lordaeron...

Could it be that... Tyr-is-Fall ? Region where Tyr is located, buried? Tyr experiment underground undercity? What could it be?

Quote:

Tags
old gods did it, speculation