Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-23-2011, 09:15 PM

Banished

I think everyone should stop posting in this thread for an hour or so.

Cool off a bit.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
I think everyone should stop posting in this thread for an hour or so.

Cool off a bit.
Did you get banned from the Story Forums? It's much less entertaining with out the King there.

I didn't vote for you, but I still miss the King!

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Because that's what we were told in the comic. Onyxia was unable to completely mind-control Varian, only lull him into a more depressed and despondent state.
oh, before the split. still, that was some serious mental fuckery, she was still controlling the nobles, and what even happened then that was so bad? all the specific things we know of were either before tiffin died (stirring up shit with the stonemasons) or after varian was kidnapped (the general decline of the kingdom we saw in vanilla).

Quote:
Thrall was unwise with these decisions, but that hardly makes him stupid. His wisdom is still highly respected by almost all racial leaders.
he did stupid things. better?

Huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Because that's what we were told in the comic. Onyxia was unable to completely mind-control Varian, only lull him into a more depressed and despondent state.

Thrall was unwise with these decisions, but that hardly makes him stupid. His wisdom is still highly respected by almost all racial leaders.
They speculated that's what she was doing before she had him kidnapped; afterward she did have Varian under control until his memories started coming back and Anduin started pushing him. After those things happened her control did start to break down.

Why was Varian dragged into this particular conversation? I'm confused. We were talking about *Thrall's* faults. Thrall's competence or lack of it doesn't change depending on anything Varian's done.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:20 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Should i just cry now or wait till later ?

Run
Old 10-23-2011, 09:21 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancai View Post
Why was Varian dragged into this particular conversation? I'm confused. We were talking about *Thrall's* faults. Thrall's competence or lack of it doesn't change depending on anything Varian's done.
because he knows my one true weakness: an accusation of hypocrisy.

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
Should i just cry now or wait till later ?
Probably now.

Huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbosa View Post
because he knows my one true weakness: an accusation of hypocrisy.
/stores information for later ;D
Old 10-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
Come on. You read the post right? Galen's Fall and Hammerfall should've been ransacked ages ago.

The Forsaken have a nice, big, prebuilt wall to defend Lordaeron, with the Thoradin's wall. Patch that shit up with some nice Forsaken Architecture, build a version of the Bulwark at the pass to Aerie Peak, and maybe the one to Caer Darrow, and they have strong defensible positions to defend from the Alliance.

If the Horde took Arathi and destroyed Thandol Span, there would be no war in the Eastern Kingdoms and we'd only get to throw rocks at each other and yell hurtful words.

Hell, even if they didn't blow the bridge up, it's a huge choke point and all we'd do is throw rocks and hurtful words at each other.

I'm sorry for reading that implication into it, I suppose. (though really, that's how it came off...)
I know that Aldrius is not a troll or a Forsaken fanboy but I really do not get his position on the subject. I guess I jet disagree with most of his ideas.(basing off pas debates he has had with Fojar, note I don't agree with Fojar completely but I am leaned more towards his ideas then Aldrius's .)
Old 10-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Banished

Quote:
Did you get banned from the Story Forums? It's much less entertaining with out the King there.

I didn't vote for you, but I still miss the King!
I got a final warning awhile ago and then posted my farewell address. You can read it here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3123033329

I appointed Rufin King in my stead, but he got himself permabanned, so I recently had to deign the worthy Inaru my new Steward.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
The Forsaken have a nice, big, prebuilt wall to defend Lordaeron, with the Thoradin's wall. Patch that shit up with some nice Forsaken Architecture, build a version of the Bulwark at the pass to Aerie Peak, and maybe the one to Caer Darrow, and they have strong defensible positions to defend from the Alliance.

If the Horde took Arathi and destroyed Thandol Span, there would be no war in the Eastern Kingdoms and we'd only get to throw rocks at each other and yell hurtful words.
You could say the exact same friggin thing about the Thandol Span, the Thandol Span is the perfect spot for a defensible dwarven position to protect themselves from the Forsaken.

Last edited by Aldrius; 10-23-2011 at 09:26 PM..
Old 10-23-2011, 09:24 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
what? There was no private message....
He's saying can he tell you what I told him.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:25 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
I know that Aldrius is not a troll or a Forsaken fanboy but I really do not get his position on the subject. I guess I jet disagree with most of his ideas.(basing off pas debates he has had with Fojar, note I don't agree with Fojar completely but I am leaned more towards his ideas then Aldrius's .)
He's a moderator, I didn't think for a second he's a troll.

The only faction that's been shown as completely unstoppable in the Cataclysm, really, has been the Forsaken. They might not have taken Gilneas, but they sure as hell stopped the Worgen from being a threat to them in Silverpine (for now, at least)

And, other than the Submariners and the General being killed by the Forsaken Lowbie, the 7th Legion still has whoever landed after the Submariners and Halford Wyrmbane?

Unless Wyrmbane died. During the fight at the wall. Then I'll cry. He's my favorite minor NPC.

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Yeah i know that now i just got confused and read it completely wrong....

Run

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Come on. You read the post right? Galen's Fall and Hammerfall should've been ransacked ages ago.

(though really, that's how it came off...)
1. Yes they should've.

2. No, it's not.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 10-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Elune

Footman

Quote:
Now I want to know :|

Note to self: get on IGoD's good side.

(Don't tell me I'm not trying to guilt you or anything like that.)
Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I told people about this stuff 1, because I got to meet Metzen and wanted to share that, and 2, especially considering I can't clarify what he said it will lead to some speculation and anticipation, which I at least find very fun. I love little teasers and half-hints far more than actual spoilers, maybe I misjudged other people's reactions?

Now, the last thing I will say about the whole Garrosh to clarify everything.

-Something big happens, it involves Garrosh, it will make Alliance fanboys really happy, it will make some people very upset, and I and several others will say "I told you so!" because it had been theorized as happening a long time ago.

-I can't say whether Garrosh dies or not, or really anything regarding his fate, as it in itself would give away far too much.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:30 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Most of my ideas? I didn't suggest any ideas. I expressed my opinion on how having a unanimous Alliance victory in Arathi would weaken the Forsaken when they've done a lot of good work making them look like a powerful faction and a very dangerous threat.

If you want to know what I'd do with Arathi, I've said this before, but I'd have Danath return and reclaim Stromgarde. The questing would mostly focus around the Forsaken's siege of the city (with the Forsaken assaulting it and the Alliance defending it), while they raze the northern farms in order to build up an army with their Val'kyr raising the dead.

End result would be the Alliance controlling Stromgarde with the Forsaken controlling most of Arathi. (like 65-70% of it. Mostly in the northern half of the zone.)

Last edited by Aldrius; 10-23-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Old 10-23-2011, 09:31 PM

Elune

Footman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Most of my ideas? I didn't suggest any ideas. I expressed my opinion on how having a unanimous Alliance victory in Arathi would weaken the Forsaken when they've done a lot of good work making them look like a powerful faction and a very dangerous threat.
Fine, I disagree with your opinions.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:32 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
I told people about this stuff 1, because I got to meet Metzen and wanted to share that, and 2, especially considering I can't clarify what he said it will lead to some speculation and anticipation, which I at least find very fun. I love little teasers and half-hints far more than actual spoilers, maybe I misjudged other people's reactions?

-Something big happens, it involves Garrosh, it will make Alliance fanboys really happy, it will make some people very upset, and I and several others will say "I told you so!" because it had been theorized as happening a long time ago.

-I can't say whether Garrosh dies or not, or really anything regarding his fate, as it in itself would give away far too much.
If you can honestly say that there is a plan, and that it will make Alliance fans happy, then that's good enough for me.

Not that it'll stop me from going insane from the internal debate, but still. =P
Old 10-23-2011, 09:32 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:

I'd like to apologize, I posted it to him already, exact quotes. I wanted to wait but honestly I'm just too tired and bitter from all the entitled Alliance whining going on to care much anymore.

@ Crazyterran, you're ignoring the loss of entire divisions and battalions of veteran forsaken troopers, and several lesser and a single greater Val'kyr.

And this is all in areas relatively far away from any points of major Alliance power.

You're ignoring the point of those quests, which was to build up Godfrey and his pals as huge powerful bastards, and just focusing on your own losses.

The Forsaken saw their people pushed out of Gilneas and cowering from the Seventh Legion, scared shitless.

That's not "unstoppable"

If anything, this whole expansion has felt like the Horde being slapped with luck, stupid, and evil all at once.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 10-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
If they take Stromgarde or win at all in Arathi, it'll make them look more powerful than the Second War Veterans, the Wildhammer in Hinterlands (i'm sure they'll be involved), Stormwind, Stromgarde, and maybe Ironforge.

The Forsaken should just rebuild the Thoradin Wall, close the gate, build a bulwark at the pass between Hillsbrad and the Hinterlands, and focus on fortifying and building up Lordaeron more. Maybe put a second Undercity under Alterac City?

The Alliance needs something like taking Arathi. They/We have had it hard this expansion, man.

Quote:
I'd like to apologize, I posted it to him already, exact quotes. I wanted to wait but honestly I'm just too tired and bitter from all the entitled Alliance whining going on to care much anymore.

@ Crazyterran, you're ignoring the loss of entire divisions and battalions of veteran forsaken troopers, and several lesser and a single greater Val'kyr.

And this is all in areas relatively far away from any points of major Alliance power.

You're ignoring the point of those quests, which was to build up Godfrey and his pals as huge powerful bastards, and just focusing on your own losses.

The Forsaken saw their people pushed out of Gilneas and cowering from the Seventh Legion, scared shitless.

That's not "unstoppable"

If anything, this whole expansion has felt like the Horde being slapped with luck, stupid, and evil all at once.
The Forsaken lost a lot of men trying take Gilneas, granted. The Alliance lost a lot of our familiar, old NPCs to the Forsaken in Southshore and Gilneas. I did Silverpine on my Undead Hunter, and, yeah, I saw some Forsaken being cowards. But in the end, you completely repelled the 7th Legion out of Silverpine, and slammed a division between the Bloodfang Pack and the GLF. For all we know, Bloodfang and Crowley aren't working together anymore, and they GLF isn't a viable army anymore.

It's not like the last thing we see them say to each other is very nice!

We lost *a lot* of 7th Legion npcs, who are the best of the best of the Alliance. They got creamed by a low level Undead and a few Gilnean traitors. Don't act like the Forsaken lost a whole lot compared to what the Alliance has lost in the Eastern Kingdoms, man. I went through Hillsbrad, and saw not a single Human left. You even nuke the Stormpike that are hanging out in Hillsbrad.

Literally nuke them. Kaboom!

Then again, I guess Orkus = the Stormpike Expedition's forces, right? >.>

Last edited by Crazyterran; 10-23-2011 at 09:40 PM..
Old 10-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Elune

Quote:

I think the problem was you began hinting and saying what you thought was going to happen in a thread where everyone was going bat shit crazy...

I to like hints far more than spoilers and think that no spoilers was one of the reasons why this Blizzcon was amazing because we only knew of the name but not everything behind it.

Run
Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:

Let the detective work begin.

From October 2010:
Quote:
I think its Garrosh, but not for treachery or underhanded means. I think he did it "for the good of the horde". Garrosh has an immense respect for Thrall, but at the same time it's been shown that he doesn't think much of him as a leader, such as during the pre-Wrath event and at the Argent Tournament and Violet Citadel. Cairne was one of his idols, and Garrosh still killed him to do what he thought was right and keep the horde together. Garrosh knows that at the last the current plan is for Thrall to return as Warchief once he's done saving the world (in The Shattering its stressed that he is only "acting Warchief" until Thrall's return). Perhaps he decided that to prevent Thrall from leading the horde in a way he thought wasn't right, Garrosh decided that there had to be a way to keep Thrall from retaking his position.
From December 2010:
Quote:
I still think they're setting Garrosh up for a fall, but this story has done a lot to make him more sympathetic and to understand why he acts the way he does.
Quote:
I don't think he'll [Garrosh] be evil either. I think his fall will be more along the lines of "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Where he goes too far trying to serve the horde and ends up drawing the ire of someone else, maybe Vol'jin or even Thrall. But seeing as how Garrosh not being Warchieft would warrant another Cataclysm style revamp I imagine that's far down the road in terms of story progression.
Quote:
3:19 pm Garrosh question, questioner being polite about him. He's become a warlord, but is he going to be a true warchief or "just another Hellscream?"

Metzen: That would be telling. Is he daddy's son, or can he straighten out? (Interesting that it was phrased that way). A theme that Blizzard is really trying to push, actually. They know and appreciate that Garrosh is a "contentious" character. He's part of a far larger storyline including Thrall ("And dammit, I like talking about guys like Thrall. He's the most important person on Azeroth."), who is a pivotal character. Thrall had a great bit in Nagrand but Metzen doesn't think they've actually used him to his potential. The whole Garrosh deal actually has a lot to do with Thrall.

References Christie Golden's "The Shattering." Sees Thrall as a Clark Kent-type character, good guy who may not really know his true strength. "He's never taken the time to just grow," was pushed into leadership very young. Metzen sees Garrosh used as a counterpoint to Thrall, the former as a hothead against someone who thinks. Ultimately, Garrosh "is the foil to Thrall." Don't get fixated on Garrosh; the story's not ultimately about him. Thinks this is going to be some of the best storytelling that WoW has ever done. "If you love the Horde today, how much more will you love it when you need to fight for it?"

Taken from WoW Insider's liveblog of the Blizzcon Quest and Lore panel.
From April 2011:
Quote:
As for Garrosh, based on what Metzen said at the lore panel last Blizzcon, I'm pretty sure Garrosh is being set up for a tragic hero type fall, but not for a long time, perhaps post WoW even.
These are really just about the only predictions that Insane Guy of Doom has made about Garrosh, and they are incredibly consistent.

Last edited by Genesis; 10-23-2011 at 09:40 PM..
Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
The Alliance needs something like taking Arathi. They/We have had it hard this expansion, man.
They really don't 'need' anything.

Quote:
Fine, I disagree with your opinions.
Good for you...?

Quote:
If they take Stromgarde or win at all in Arathi, it'll make them look more powerful than the Second War Veterans, the Wildhammer in Hinterlands (i'm sure they'll be involved), Stormwind, Stromgarde, and maybe Ironforge.
Um, okay. And? They've got the Lich King's most powerful servants and a super-plague on their side. They ARE potentially more powerful than a bunch of second war veterans (who quite frankly would be pretty old at this point) and what's left of Stromgarde.