Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-23-2011, 09:43 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
They really don't 'need' anything.

Good for you...?

Um, okay. And? They've got the Lich King's most powerful servants and a super-plague on their side. They ARE potentially more powerful than a bunch of second war veterans (who quite frankly would be pretty old at this point) and what's left of Stromgarde.
There are four Val'kyr left. I wonder if Sylvanas will risk losing more of them to take Stromgarde...

And the Super-plague that Worgen run through? It doesn't seem as strong as it used to be, considering the Worgen completely ignore it in the last battle at silverpine.

Was it the old super-plague that was used at southshore, or the new water-plague that was used in Silverpine?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:44 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
There are four Val'kyr left. I wonder if Sylvanas will risk losing more of them to take Stromgarde...
She has minor val'kyr. And yeah, she'll keep using the Val'kyr in all her battles. Why wouldn't she?

Quote:
And the Super-plague that Worgen run through? It doesn't seem as strong as it used to be, considering the Worgen completely ignore it in the last battle at silverpine.
That was a pretty minute aesthetic detail in a single zone. It did a pretty good job forcing the entire Gilnean population out of Gilneas city.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:50 PM

Faerie Dragon

This thread is fucking hilarious, rofl.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:50 PM

Eternal

Quote:
As for Garrosh, based on what Metzen said at the lore panel last Blizzcon, I'm pretty sure Garrosh is being set up for a tragic hero type fall, but not for a long time, perhaps post WoW even.
Tragic hero type fall and Garrosh hmm...

Quote:
Aristotle contests that the tragic hero has to be a man “who is not eminently good and just, yet whose misfortune is brought about not by vice or depravity, but by some error or frailty.” He is not making the hero entirely good in which he can do no wrong but rather has the hero committing an injury or a great wrong leading to his misfortune.
Great wrong = Theramore and perhaps Thrall killing Garrosh in a Mak'gora = misfortune?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:52 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasarax View Post
Tragic hero type fall and Garrosh hmm...

Great wrong = Theramore and perhaps Thrall killing Garrosh in a Mak'gora = misfortune?
Metzen didn't mention Theramore to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if its involved with that he did say.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:53 PM

Eternal

Quote:
She has minor val'kyr. And yeah, she'll keep using the Val'kyr in all her battles. Why wouldn't she?

That was a pretty minute aesthetic detail in a single zone. It did a pretty good job forcing the entire Gilnean population out of Gilneas city.

It's still deadly, it's just not as powerful as it used to be. If you can live by running through it, and rip up some catapults, it's not what it used to be, you dig?

And, if she has minor val'kyr, whats the point of the major val'kyr?

We don't know if they are canon, since they just made a significant chunk of Silverpine non-canon.

I mean, they say she only has 4 Val'kyr left. I assume that means 4. As in, Four. Not, Four + unlimited lesser Val'kyr.

You know what I mean?

Everyone but you is totally cool with the Alliance take Stromgarde and Arathi. Why you no like Alliance?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:54 PM

Elune

Wow, ok I'm debating whether or not to read through all the pages, but in the meantime, wow...losing Theramore. Well, guess it was going to happen at some point.

And I'm still mulling over that comment about Jaina's homeland being "covered in slag" in Varian's mini story.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:56 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Wow, ok I'm debating whether or not to read through all the pages, but in the meantime, wow...losing Theramore. Well, guess it was going to happen at some point.

And I'm still mulling over that comment about Jaina's homeland being "covered in slag" in Varian's mini story.
Kul'tiras is probably not doing so well once it got moved out to see. I imagine a volcano erupted, and shits gone to hell. Which is why we don't see a huge fleet pissing all over the Horde's navy parade.

Probably to busy doing S&R, using the sailors to rebuild, and defending Kul'tiras while all this shit is going down.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 PM

Faerie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
The writer probably got the news that the Horde would be attacking Theramore but got the timeline wrong. And then Blizzard didn't notice it.

But wait, that doesn't make sense... Jaina is still all rooting for peace with the Horde in the Varian story.... which doesnt make sense considering what's going down. Fuck. Maybe it's just Kul Tiras or something.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessy View Post
The writer probably got the news that the Horde would be attacking Theramore but got the timeline wrong. And then Blizzard didn't notice it.

But wait, that doesn't make sense... Jaina is still all rooting for peace with the Horde in the Varian story.... which doesnt make sense considering what's going down. Fuck. Maybe it's just Kul Tiras or something.
That's why I'm mulling it over, heh. That little bit of dialogue stood out to me when the story was released, and then we learn about this coming up. Timeline wise it is really bizarre yet...

*shrug*
Old 10-23-2011, 10:08 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
It's still deadly, it's just not as powerful as it used to be. If you can live by running through it, and rip up some catapults, it's not what it used to be, you dig?

We don't know if they are canon, since they just made a significant chunk of Silverpine non-canon.

I mean, they say she only has 4 Val'kyr left. I assume that means 4. As in, Four. Not, Four + unlimited lesser Val'kyr.

You know what I mean?

Everyone but you is totally cool with the Alliance take Stromgarde and Arathi. Why you no like Alliance?
Those 4 are the ones that Sylvanas made a pact with, they're the strongest of the lot and the ones who can ressurect her. They are however, not the only Val'kyr among the Forsaken, just look at WPL where there are dozens of them flying around and none of these are considered to be part of the ones mentioned in the shortstory.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:11 PM

Elune

Crazy is here now?

Anyway, Kayalin or whatever is thinking Blizzards using her idea of setting up the Night Elves to get pissed and decimate Org and other Horde forces in the area while the Orcs and Horde take out Theramore, thus reshifting the leveling paths again.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:12 PM

Banished

Before I go to bed, I'd just like to say one final thing.

I think people don't realize how crushing a blow this is to roleplayers. Particularly people with Theramore-themed stuff. Their entire Kingdom is basically now coming down and crumbling. I'd be pissed beyond belief if I rp'd.

Come on... we are basically losing a kingdom. It's not right.

Not right at all.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Metzen didn't mention Theramore to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if its involved with that he did say.
The main question, however, is whether or not his fall will be considered either 1) tragic, or 2) heroic. And right now, based on Garrosh's terrible reception on most sides, I'd say that Blizzard is tragically failing.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Yeah, I liked Theramore too. There will probably be a place fore Theramore refugees too.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
Crazy is here now?

Anyway, Kayalin or whatever is thinking Blizzards using her idea of setting up the Night Elves to get pissed and decimate Org and other Horde forces in the area while the Orcs and Horde take out Theramore, thus reshifting the leveling paths again.
Now, between you and me, do you think Orgrimmar will be decimated?

Or do you think they'll just leave the Night Elven areas alone, and just update Theramore, and possibly Strom?

/shrug.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:19 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Now, between you and me, do you think Orgrimmar will be decimated?
You are talking to Ferlion, remember? The guy who essentially thinks night elves are the most awesome sauce ever and they should be able to beat anything simply by the virtue of being night elves.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:19 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
...and what... constituted this change...?

This is an incredibly weak argument.

Quote:
They're bigger and more powerful?

Quote:
This is possibly the most desperate argument in a debate one can use. I'm all for some interesting conflict going on in Arathi. Danath's return, a battle between Stromgarde's military forces and the Forsaken, it could be really cool and interesting. With both sides winding up looking cool. (There isn't any point in the game where we play as the Forsaken INVADING territory. And I think that'd be really awesome.)

Having the Forsaken board up Hillsbrad and leave Arathi to Stromgarde? That'd be lame. It'd be pandering to a bunch of whiny Alliance fans who want placation, and it just wouldn't be all that enthralling a story. I like conflict, I like tragedy, I don't like 'Alliance should get Stromgarde because things have been rough and we need it!'. And as I mentioned (though I don't think anyone saw it) I think it'd be cool for Danath to reclaim Stromgarde. But Arathi? I'm not for that at all.

And I like the Alliance fine. Jaina (well WC3 Jaina) and Tyrande are in my top 5 favourite WarCraft characters. (The other three are Kel'thuzad, Ner'zhul and probably Terenas or Grom in case you're wondering.)
Old 10-23-2011, 10:23 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Do not forget the Jaina book could tie into this.

Run
Old 10-23-2011, 10:23 PM

Wisp

Like...man. o_o

I really have to wonder if Theramore's destruction will turn out to be the catalyst or the result of Thrall's return as Warchief. Either way, after a blow like that, it's very unlikely Jaina will ever trust the Horde being capable of peace again, Thrall or Garrosh; Coinciding with Metzen's comments on Varian going to be made 'totally awesome' in MoP and with the Alliance finally worshipping him as the true King of the Alliance...it seems Jaina's finally being set up as the next Queen of Stormwind beside him.

Aaargh.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman

I don't think anyone is suggesting for the Forsaken to just let the Allianc to just win in Arathing but for the Alliance to push them out and force a kind of Gilneas situation.

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
I might be mis-remembering, but I think the Sylvannas short story said that if all 9 of the major val'kyr die she will too.

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
You are talking to Ferlion, remember? The guy who essentially thinks night elves are the most awesome sauce ever and they should be able to beat anything simply by the virtue of being night elves.
Genesis, never stop posting. Though I do think you might be getting him confused with other pro-night elf posters from the Story forums who insist that they shouldn't lose in an area because, "it's our forests lolz". Does that mean Orcs shouldn't lose in canyons or that Tauren shouldn't lose in the open plains?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:25 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: IliyaM#1840

Quote:
This is possibly the most desperate argument in a debate one can use. I'm all for some interesting conflict going on in Arathi. Danath's return, a battle between Stromgarde's military forces and the Forsaken, it could be really cool and interesting. With both sides winding up looking cool. (There isn't any point in the game where we play as the Forsaken INVADING territory. And I think that'd be really awesome.)

Having the Forsaken board up Hillsbrad and leave Arathi to Stromgarde? That'd be lame. It'd be pandering to a bunch of whiny Alliance fans who want placation, and it just wouldn't be all that enthralling a story. I like conflict, I like tragedy, I don't like 'Alliance should get Stromgarde because things have been rough and we need it!'. And as I mentioned (though I don't think anyone saw it) I think it'd be cool for Danath to reclaim Stromgarde. But Arathi? I'm not for that at all.

And I like the Alliance fine. Jaina (well WC3 Jaina) and Tyrande are in my top 5 favourite WarCraft characters. (The other three are Kel'thuzad, Ner'zhul and probably Terenas or Grom in case you're wondering.)
The major problem with your lame idea to give part of Arathi to the Forsaken is that it cuts off the Wildhammers in Aerie Peak and the other neutrals north of them. Seriously, what would any Argents with half a brain think about the idea that the Forsaken more or less have free reign to do with anything north of the Thandol Span as they please? Bad things, that's what.

I am Dallanna Stoneweaver, Destroyer of Threads, Logic, and Lawns.

Tip for writers: The "Rule of Cool" does not a good story make!

Dorf R 4 Fite!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:25 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
I don't think anyone is suggesting for the Forsaken to just let the Allianc to just win in Arathing but for the Alliance to push them out and force a kind of Gilneas situation.
I just don't see the appeal in that. It'd basically mean the Forsaken were stuck in a stalemate on two fronts... where the you know... threat?

Quote:
it seems Jaina's finally being set up as the next Queen of Stormwind.
How do you figure?