Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2013, 03:09 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Fuck, I didn't even know these ancients and this Sci-Fi stuff even existed. How mind bogglingly incongruous with the general "sword and sorcery" feel of the franchise. Now I wonder if the entire setting (used to) operates on Clarke's Third Law, the one about sufficiently advanced technology being like magic. I don't know what to think about this.

Though those metuselah fans may appreciate small bonus scenarios which were recently added to VI that harken back to the old setting and the story of ancient androids battling it out.
Possibly... I remember that the Ancients were bot heavy "mages" and blaster-using folk (although mostly relying on world-destroying guardian robots ala Algalon).

Y'know, there's actually a lot of similarity with the cosmos of Warcraft, where the universe around is much more advanced than the medieval Azeroth/Enroth. That is especially true for the "Demons" - just like the Burning Legion, the Kreegans are actually hellish-looking aliens that really hate the guts of the Ancients and specialize on destroying all parts of their creation. Sounds familiar, eh?

By the way, supposedly the original new city for the Armageddon's Blade expansion for H3 was the Forge and not the Conflux. It would tie in with the evil ending of one of the M&M games and feature turning other creatures (like goblins and zombies) into CYBORGS.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:50 AM

The Sun King

Heh.

As I'm designing Warcraft campaigns for Heroes IV... I'd like to ask for an advise. Do you guys think I should add Vol'jin to the Exodus of the Horde campaign? 'Cause it looks like Riders on the Storm map is going to be a bit too big for Thrall to explore all alone.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Heh.

As I'm designing Warcraft campaigns for Heroes IV... I'd like to ask for an advise. Do you guys think I should add Vol'jin to the Exodus of the Horde campaign? 'Cause it looks like Riders on the Storm map is going to be a bit too big for Thrall to explore all alone.
Sure.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:43 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Sure.
I think I'll use Yogg to make him.

It's easy, 'cause Vol'jin canonically didn't travel to Kalimdor until later. So I won't have to make up dialogue for him for the whole of Invasion of Kalimdor.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:48 AM

Elune

Quote:
I think I'll use Yogg to make him.

It's easy, 'cause Vol'jin canonically didn't travel to Kalimdor until later. So I won't have to make up dialogue for him for the whole of Invasion of Kalimdor.
Dunno, all I recall is that Vol'jin was on his trial of passage or whatever when the murlocs killed his father. When he emerged from the jungle it was all over and the trolls were packing to leave.

So, wouldn't that make his appearance in RotS bad, and him not going to Kalimdor bad
Old 01-24-2014, 10:59 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Dunno, all I recall is that Vol'jin was on his trial of passage or whatever when the murlocs killed his father. When he emerged from the jungle it was all over and the trolls were packing to leave.

So, wouldn't that make his appearance in RotS bad, and him not going to Kalimdor bad
That's why I'm asking.

Wowpedia cites the Troll Compendium and says this:

Shortly after the orcs left, a large group of trolls also sailed for Kalimdor, but Vol'jin was not among them. Instead, Vol'jin chose to weather the Sea Witch's wrath with the rest of tribe until the time came when they could leave. Finally, a year later, they gathered up all the supplies they could and left for the new orc nation of Durotar.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:59 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Y'know, there's actually a lot of similarity with the cosmos of Warcraft, where the universe around is much more advanced than the medieval Azeroth/Enroth. That is especially true for the "Demons" - just like the Burning Legion, the Kreegans are actually hellish-looking aliens that really hate the guts of the Ancients and specialize on destroying all parts of their creation. Sounds familiar, eh?
I remember thinking the same thing. The whole "advanced society creating a fantasy world" idea was pretty mind-blowing for 10-year old me (that's about when I was playing Might and Magic 3).

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 01-25-2014, 12:31 AM

The Sun King

Any more comments on Vol'jin?

I think maybe I won't include him, but add the Caravan-Sarai building to the orcish city, so they can hire creatures from faraway dwellings without the aid of Thrall.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:14 AM

Elune

Quote:

But wasn't he present when Rexxar helped fending off kul tiras forces? Vol'jin was te witchdoctor that gave the wyvernpoison, right?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:51 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post
But wasn't he present when Rexxar helped fending off kul tiras forces? Vol'jin was te witchdoctor that gave the wyvernpoison, right?
That was way later.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:42 AM

Eternal

I have almost finished Heroes 5. I used to play quite a bit of Heroes 3 and 4 some years ago, and although I had a few problems with 4, at least it had a very good storyline. Heroes 5, well....maybe the story isn't that bad, maybe it's the voice acting. Isabel is one of the worst characters in video game history, Raelag is a creepy pedophile, Findan is the worst poet ever, Markal is literally a parody, Wulstan is the most stereotypical dwarf character I have encountered in fantasy, and the voice acting makes them all worse.

But the gameplay is quite awesome though. Academy and Haven are my favourite factions. Zehir, Godric and Freyda are also some of the better characters of the game, although that isn't saying much.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:48 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I remember thinking the same thing. The whole "advanced society creating a fantasy world" idea was pretty mind-blowing for 10-year old me (that's about when I was playing Might and Magic 3).
I like how Wizardry handled it.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:31 AM

Eternal

First MMH6,Watch_Dogs, Ass Creed Unity, and now MMH7 as well. Damn Ubisoft, it's not even their franchise to begin with and yet they treat it like shite.

For those who don't know, Ubisoft recently released MMH7. The bugs, glitches and various gameplay designs and choices make it almost seem like an indie game, and it definitely is unfinished. The story seems ok, and I think that had Limbic been given more time, the game would have been awesome. Really, this game makes MMH6 look like a masterpiece of optimization, the bugs are that severe.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:21 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
First MMH6,Watch_Dogs, Ass Creed Unity, and now MMH7 as well. Damn Ubisoft, it's not even their franchise to begin with and yet they treat it like shite.

For those who don't know, Ubisoft recently released MMH7. The bugs, glitches and various gameplay designs and choices make it almost seem like an indie game, and it definitely is unfinished. The story seems ok, and I think that had Limbic been given more time, the game would have been awesome. Really, this game makes MMH6 look like a masterpiece of optimization, the bugs are that severe.
Stuff like this almost makes me glad that I've lost a lot of my interest in gaming.

Almost. Because whether I'm playing it or not, HoMM deserves better.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 06-02-2020, 11:55 AM

The Sun King

Grunt Announcement!

While writing my PhD thesis, I have finished all the visuals for the "Exodus of the Horde" campagin for Heroes IV. Now come the text messages and, of course, scripts and quests, but at least the maps themselves look ready. I'll continue writing it at a slow pace, try the maps myself, before releasing the Campaign for SoL to beta-test, if anybody around here still has HMM4 installed.

Vol'jin will appear in the final map, since Thrall is facing multiple enemy bases.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:46 PM

Elune

I might be up to help you test it. But tbh only if you need it as a favor since I have a lot going on right now. But if you lack someone to test it, I am here.

Either way looking forward to checking it out, either now or later.

Tags
4x strategy, best game ever, classic video games, kickass armies