Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-23-2016, 05:37 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargeras View Post
That's a nice explanation actually, IMO
Thanks.

Well, as for my statement about Azeroth, it's a bit different from what Kosak has written on reddit. If we are to take his post as something more then just metaphor, of course. After all, he confirmed that his post is just a non-canon sentence.
My idea is that the titan wil either be revealed as either being or only existing as this Spirit of Life - arcane blood hybrid. This hybrid, Elune helps to guide Azeroth's nations to aiding the Naaru with creation of the Army of Light and provides some cosmological and titanic knowledge. She can't really do something beyond that. So in my headcanon of the future the heroes of Azeroth aren't tiny avatars of titans. Instead, they start universal journey to find more allies, maybe races as powerful as the Aldrachi, who were able to slay countless demons before their champion was killed by Sargeras himself. Or as knowledgable in the arcane as the old eredar of Argus. If these new planets were visited by Pantheon, they may still be inhabited by their guardians reminiscent of the Aspects.
After amassing their strength, they will find a way to seal the Void Lords, or maybe bring forth something powerful from the Light realm, or just harness as much titanic energies left all over the universe to nuke the void lords or help Elune get a power up.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:18 PM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiraser View Post
Instead, they start universal journey to find more allies, maybe races as powerful as the Aldrachi, who were able to slay countless demons before their champion was killed by Sargeras himself. Or as knowledgable in the arcane as the old eredar of Argus. If these new planets were visited by Pantheon, they may still be inhabited by their guardians reminiscent of the Aspects
Can't we go and search for other Titans? There may be some out there. Also, for that, we would ally with Constellars and other titanic friends/creations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
This is literally worse than what you'd expect an obssessed, autistic teenage fanboy to write.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorenec View Post
Becoming the guardian must endow you in ways other than magical because Aegwynn's tits are nearly the size of her head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arterius View Post
Sylvanas "I need to create a bunch of meat shields to protect me because otherwise I might suffer consequences for my actions" Windrunner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angron was right View Post
STOP SHAMING SYLVANAS, SHE IS A STRONK BLACK INDEPENDENT WOMYN WHO DON'T NEED NO LICH KING.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:30 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Can't we go and search for other Titans? There may be some out there. Also, for that, we would ally with Constellars and other titanic friends/creations
We can. But it's all about our chance of success. The Pantheon wasn't able to find more of their kind, so it's unlikely that we'll be more fortunate than the god-like titans. But the titans themselves knew that even the giant amount of planets they've visited is only a tiny bit of the immeasurably giant Great Dark. So who knows what lies ahead.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:31 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
That's another thing; Azeroth's the most powerful potential titan the Pantheon ever found, but at the same time Chronicle admits that "even after epochs of exploring the stars, they had only plumbed but a small corner of creation."

The importance of Azeroth is mostly heavily hinged on it being the last titan they managed to locate, but also the last one period. Yet theoretically there could - statistically, perhaps even should - be other titans "out there" in the farthest reaches of the cosmos waiting to be found. Or even titans already awake (Aman'thul seemed to manage it on his own), doing the same sort of things Aman'thul's crew was doing. And the Pantheon wouldn't necessarily have even known it.

Admittedly that's one of Chronicle's underlying faults. It kinda vacillates between asserting how vast and infinite reality is in scope on some points, then on others swings back around and insists upon the finality of Azeroth as the only possible titan left. One minute everything's unknowable in scale to even the Pantheon, the next it's "oh, but this is definitely the only one of these that could possibly ever exist anywhere and therefore represents the last possible chance the universe has to survive despite most of reality and its contents remaining uncharted and unknown to even the titans themselves.

At times it almost starts almost feeling like SC2's whole "the entire universe in all its infinite scope and possibility hangs in the balance because of this one Amon asshole dicking around with three species limited to a tiny corner of one galaxy" business.

Last edited by ARM3481; 03-23-2016 at 06:35 PM..
Old 03-24-2016, 07:20 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
That's another thing; Azeroth's the most powerful potential titan the Pantheon ever found, but at the same time Chronicle admits that "even after epochs of exploring the stars, they had only plumbed but a small corner of creation."

The importance of Azeroth is mostly heavily hinged on it being the last titan they managed to locate, but also the last one period. Yet theoretically there could - statistically, perhaps even should - be other titans "out there" in the farthest reaches of the cosmos waiting to be found. Or even titans already awake (Aman'thul seemed to manage it on his own), doing the same sort of things Aman'thul's crew was doing. And the Pantheon wouldn't necessarily have even known it.

Admittedly that's one of Chronicle's underlying faults. It kinda vacillates between asserting how vast and infinite reality is in scope on some points, then on others swings back around and insists upon the finality of Azeroth as the only possible titan left. One minute everything's unknowable in scale to even the Pantheon, the next it's "oh, but this is definitely the only one of these that could possibly ever exist anywhere and therefore represents the last possible chance the universe has to survive despite most of reality and its contents remaining uncharted and unknown to even the titans themselves.

At times it almost starts almost feeling like SC2's whole "the entire universe in all its infinite scope and possibility hangs in the balance because of this one Amon asshole dicking around with three species limited to a tiny corner of one galaxy" business.
I think it would be really interesting if we encountered another group of Titans, maybe. Or maybe a single Titan that was unknown to the Pantheon.

What if this non-Pantheon Titans had a different set of values? Maybe more morally grey than the all-good Aman'thul's folk.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 03-24-2016, 01:22 PM

Banished

Things we know about Elune:

1) Elune is a celestial being that represents a source of a form of light.

2) Arcane energies--the lifeblood of titans--are celestial energies that celestial beings would contain a measure of (mana), which would explain how Elune's gift--moonwells--allows Azeroth's defenders to refresh their mana.

3) Moonwells contain the sacred waters of the Well of Eternity--which drew it's energies from the Great Dark Beyond--and Elune is able to communicate through Moonwells.

4) She is an incorporeal spirit that would exist in a spiritual realm separate from the physical realm...or at least some place in-between (which would suggest that the spiritual isn't separate from the physical).

My headcanon is that Elune isn't a world-soul, but something similar to a world-similar. A soul that doesn't exist in a world, but a soul that exists in the Moon (a celestial body) that relates to Azeroth (the Earth) and is visible by reflected light from An'she (the Sun).
Old 03-24-2016, 01:34 PM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
What if this non-Pantheon Titans had a different set of values? Maybe more morally grey than the all-good Aman'thul's folk.
That would make sence because, as the chronicle says, they were all cared for and raised by Aman'thul, so their personalities should be affected by his own values
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
This is literally worse than what you'd expect an obssessed, autistic teenage fanboy to write.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorenec View Post
Becoming the guardian must endow you in ways other than magical because Aegwynn's tits are nearly the size of her head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arterius View Post
Sylvanas "I need to create a bunch of meat shields to protect me because otherwise I might suffer consequences for my actions" Windrunner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angron was right View Post
STOP SHAMING SYLVANAS, SHE IS A STRONK BLACK INDEPENDENT WOMYN WHO DON'T NEED NO LICH KING.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:50 PM

Demon Hunter

Going to pull ARM's quote from the illidan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Forget this naaru nonsense. How about this:

Azeroth's primary moon originated as a gigantic chunk of ancient Kalimdor that was ripped free by Aman'thul's extraction of the deeply-rooted Y'Shaarj. As it was the earthen "flesh" of the planet's crust, it's saturated with some of the titan blood that spewed forth from the wound to become the Well of Eternity, and the Spirit of that blood became Elune, the White Lady's own residual "world-soul."

There we go. A theory that not only connects Elune to to the Well, but also syncs the fanciful tauren mythology about the "eyes of the Earthmother" with the fact that we now know Azeroth's prehistory actually does include a case of something gigantic being forcibly torn out of the planet (i.e. the Earthmother.)
I have been thinking along very similar lines, and its likely others have too.
Couple of things though

- The only beings that could have experienced this event would have been Aqir, Elementals, Titanforged, and Old Gods, though I suppose it could have been shared/passed down to them in some form.

- I think Elune simply is the world soul and she just uses the moon/chunk of her flesh to project her power from the well. If we do use Tauren mythology, they refer to Mu'sha as the earthmother's eye. Her presence would feel the strongest to the darktrolls at night when the moon was out, and during the day they still felt her presence at the well.

This also gives some context to why the Titans named the main continent "Land of Eternal Starlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle
The tribe?s mystics began worshipping the moon goddess, Elune, who they believed was bound to the Well of Eternity itself. They claimed that the deity slumbered within the fount?s depths during daylight hours.
Why is Elune all about the light then?

I think her association with the light is not only due to her relationship with the moon but it is to steer night elves away from the arcane as it could (and did) end up disastrous.

She has her followers use holy magic but when it comes to abilities like moonfire, and starfall, she empowers their spells with her own arcane abilities. She had cenarius teach druids how to do basically the same thing.

The emerald dream is Elune's dream. It explains her connection to the wild gods and Cenarius, and if Cenarius is really her son then it explains how she hooked up with Malorne.

Why does Elune favorite Night Elves?

Well, the only true native humanoids of Azeroth (not counting descendants of Wild Gods) would be Trolls and Goblins?
As I was trying to come up with a designation for these particular species, humanoids that spawned from the Well, or one of the three pools on their own, some flavor text was added on a legendary belt for Legion referencing "Titanspawn". I'm digging that name until someone tells me I'm wrong.

So out of all the titanspawn - Dark Trolls are the ones that were drawn to her and built a relationship with her, and she sort of changed them to match her own image, calling them Children of the Stars.

Some are suggesting her to be some kind of equivalent of a Void Lord for Light but I just don't think thats possible. Light seems to be this kind of pure energy that is "chaotic good". This is a weird analogy but I feel like Light is a billion tiny little Mews while Voidlords are a bunch of jealous Mewtwos.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:21 PM

Faerie Dragon

Are we overy thinking this? Blizzard told us what Elune is...unlike anything else.

With Chronicles out, and no definition of Elune present, therefore can assume she is not a titan, keeper, constellation thingy, old god, void lord, Naaru, etc etc.

One possibility that I like is that Elune was born of the well itself as a fevered dream of the wounded world Titan Azeroth. She is a sentient avatar or harbinger proxy for Azeroth charged with it's protection. Elune created the night elves to watch over Azeroth so she could rise to the heavens and prevent any further attempts of infestation.

Because they are her children, only the night elves canot truly call down her power and commune with her.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:04 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Ok, looking at it from all available angles:

Draconic History: The Embrace of the White Lady and Blue-Child involves a great deal of magic and was used in the creation of the Aspects and the empowerment of the Second Aspect of Magic. It's also worth noting that this is actually a fact, not a part of anyone's mythology. The Dragons acknowledge Mother Moon and see her as patroness of the Night Elves. They don't see her as Cenarius' Mother, although they regard that particular bit as being complicated.

Tauren Traditions: Mu'sha (the moon) is one of the Eyes of the Earth Mother, always used to light the world at night, but ripped out and sent tumbling across the sky due to the murmurs of the old gods. She is the mother of Cenarius and Brother of An'she, the Sun, and lover of Apa'ro, the White Stag.

Night Elf Worship: Worship began with the Dark Trolls settling at the Well of Eternity. They worship her has their Moon Goddess, their most cheif deity. She is the mother of Cenarius (according to some by Malorne, others by the Sun), and of the night elf people as a whole (in reality they are descended from Dark Trolls). She's also associated with the Well of Eternity, it having been her bed-down location by day. Her worship has involved offerings of the flesh of her enemies (including Satyrs). She has been known to speak to her children, granted visions, protection, healing and power to smite enemies. She also apparently sheds a tear for the death of Ysera.

Others: Most cultures associate the White Lady and Blue Child, giving them mother-and-child motifs. Multiple cultures acknolwedge Elune as the mother of Cenarius. She has her own Pillar of Creation, with the others being attributed to Titans. The Prophet Velen theorized that she is a High Powered Naaru, but the the Night Elf Clergy has rejected his thesis.

Did I leave anything out?
Old 04-27-2016, 05:01 PM

Eternal

I think it's stated somewhere that the trolls see her as another loa, but I'm unsure.

Anyway, we know she has great power in the moonwells. A night elf in Draenor took a chunk of fallen moon to study it? It was cleansing the area around it (Haunted Forest, Shadowmoon).
Old 04-27-2016, 05:10 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
I think it's stated somewhere that the trolls see her as another loa, but I'm unsure.

Anyway, we know she has great power in the moonwells. A night elf in Draenor took a chunk of fallen moon to study it? It was cleansing the area around it (Haunted Forest, Shadowmoon).
Link?

Also, what would that have to do with Elune, who is associated with Azeroth's moon?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-27-2016, 06:31 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post

Is there any creature of power trolls don't think are some sort of Loa they should worship?
Old 04-27-2016, 06:32 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Link?

Also, what would that have to do with Elune, who is associated with Azeroth's moon?
No link because it's just a mere remembrance :p

About the thing in Draenor: it might help in showing that moons naturally have magical properties, especially in healing. It's interesting to compare. Is it the same Elune? Is there another diety? What's up with that?
Old 04-27-2016, 06:38 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Link?

Just pointing out, one of Draenor's moons is named the Pale Lady. Perhaps the moons themsevels are but extensions of a greater entity?

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 04-27-2016 at 06:40 PM..
Old 05-20-2016, 01:58 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Just pointing out, one of Draenor's moons is named the Pale Lady. Perhaps the moons themselves are but extensions of a greater entity?
SPOILERS FROM LEGION BETA TEST BELOW !!

Elune is not a Naaru, and is not from Azeroth. She / it created the Prime Naaru Xe'ra, according to a book Kadghar read, and the Core of a Dead Naaru react to the Tear of Elune, so she is an entity that was there during the creation of the universe and she is a being more powerful than the Naaru

https://embed.gyazo.com/9306d283190772d2719712d188db957d.png

Xe'ra says: I'm Xe'ra, one of the first naaru to be forged here during the great ordering of the cosmos.

The Naaru were forged by Elune ( and maybe other beings ) and, during another quest, we learn that those Prime Naaru splintered into fragment that gave birth to other Naaru, the Naaru of Exodar being one of the Offspring of Xe'ra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Nothing, this is Scrolls of Lore, every conversation on here slowly distills down to Sylvanas, Lorderon or Worgen. I'm pretty sure that theres a mathematical truth to this.

Last edited by engal; 05-20-2016 at 02:06 PM..
Old 05-22-2016, 12:43 AM

Wisp

Given how very similar Warcraft / Starcraft / Diablo cosmology has become, we should take note of Diablos version of creation: Which essentially started when a single God (Anu) fractured itself into separate Good/Light and Evil/Shadow (Tathemet) aspects, who later went on to be associated with Heaven and Hell and spawn/breed/create Angels and Demons etc.

Well... Elune is increasingly being positioned as ultimate Light, who now has created the Naaru. And the Naaru appear very angelic in role and motivations throughout Warcraft. Eerily reminiscent of Diablo cosmology (Anu, from whom Angels spawned)

So.... I wouldnt be too surprised if Warcrafts cosmology continued down a similar path - and Elune was revealed to be the Light of Creation incarnate, which could lead to another revelation that she has a Shadow equivalent. (Not just 'a void lord' - but rather a single entity all Shadow derived from). Whether it and Elune had any sort of special relationship past or present (like in Diablo) would remain to be seen.

I wouldnt be surprised if "Void Lords" was merely the placeholder title or name for a single entity as described above, who was Elunes polar opposite, and not a pantheon of personalities like the Titans.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:08 AM

Eternal

So now we figure out the whole moon connection....... If there is one.

So far, all I've got is that the moon itself allows go communication and remote use of power. Moons aligning give Titanic Keepers the ability to call upon their patrons to employer Dragon aspects, while Night Elves (unknowingly) use the moon to communicate and receive power/miracles/visions from Elune. That's my theory anyway.

Beyond that, we can try to figure out if any of the other aspects of her Mythology apply. Is she still Cenarius' mother (perhaps on some extremely weird dream level)? Did she ever have any connection to the well of Eternity, which we know to be a Titan scab.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:11 PM

Eternal

If she is indeed a "Light Lord" (and while the Tears of Elune plan actually working leans heavily in favor of that, until we see her in person or get a yes from Blizz there's still doubt), then I can only assume her connection to the Well would be because that's simply where the dark trolls first contacted her.

I see no reason to doubt that she's still Cenarius's mother. Cenarius and Malorne have never denied it. It probably wasn't with them literally doing the deed though.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:13 PM

Elune

Theradras fucked a Keeper of the Grove.

And she was an elemental princess.

Just sayin'.

Quote:
Ok, looking at it from all available angles:

Draconic History: The Embrace of the White Lady and Blue-Child involves a great deal of magic and was used in the creation of the Aspects and the empowerment of the Second Aspect of Magic. It's also worth noting that this is actually a fact, not a part of anyone's mythology. The Dragons acknowledge Mother Moon and see her as patroness of the Night Elves. They don't see her as Cenarius' Mother, although they regard that particular bit as being complicated.

Tauren Traditions: Mu'sha (the moon) is one of the Eyes of the Earth Mother, always used to light the world at night, but ripped out and sent tumbling across the sky due to the murmurs of the old gods. She is the mother of Cenarius and Brother of An'she, the Sun, and lover of Apa'ro, the White Stag.

Night Elf Worship: Worship began with the Dark Trolls settling at the Well of Eternity. They worship her has their Moon Goddess, their most cheif deity. She is the mother of Cenarius (according to some by Malorne, others by the Sun), and of the night elf people as a whole (in reality they are descended from Dark Trolls). She's also associated with the Well of Eternity, it having been her bed-down location by day. Her worship has involved offerings of the flesh of her enemies (including Satyrs). She has been known to speak to her children, granted visions, protection, healing and power to smite enemies. She also apparently sheds a tear for the death of Ysera.

Others: Most cultures associate the White Lady and Blue Child, giving them mother-and-child motifs. Multiple cultures acknolwedge Elune as the mother of Cenarius. She has her own Pillar of Creation, with the others being attributed to Titans. The Prophet Velen theorized that she is a High Powered Naaru, but the the Night Elf Clergy has rejected his thesis.

Did I leave anything out?
She is benevolent, she cured a Satyr once.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Ten_P...lesh_(Alliance)
I don't think that we should follow this bit of lore as closely as we do. It's rather obscure and isolated. I'm not argueing its validity, merely its worthiness to the whole debate.

Last edited by Jungleluke; 05-22-2016 at 03:21 PM..
Old 05-22-2016, 03:31 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

So if Elune created the Naaru... is she a fucking Titan or not? It still bugs me the "tear of Elune" is a pillar of creation that's linked to the titans.

But if Elune is extraplanetary and not linked to Azeroth, what are the odds that there are other elves on other planets? Who can be so sure that the trolls were the first native life form she molded in her image?
Old 05-22-2016, 04:41 PM

Eternal

Wasn't it the Well that made the elves, not Elune?

And Elune is still up in the air, but the Tears of Elune actually working with Xe'ra's core like Khadgar said is pretty strong support for his theory that she created the naaru. In that case I doubt she'd be a titan.

I still want her to be a super Wild God.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:27 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
Wasn't it the Well that made the elves, not Elune?

And Elune is still up in the air, but the Tears of Elune actually working with Xe'ra's core like Khadgar said is pretty strong support for his theory that she created the naaru. In that case I doubt she'd be a titan.

I still want her to be a super Wild God.
The reaction between the Tears and Xe'ra's core only reinforce what Velen already pointed out: Elune and the Naaru are connected, somehow.

Yet I believe we shouldn't be 100% trustful about the book Khadgar is citing. Is, after all, an in-universe source and a source of Azerothian origin. While it could be truth, it could be not, too. I mean... it is a perfectly retconable piece of lore due to the "unreliable source" trope.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 05-22-2016, 09:31 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
The reaction between the Tears and Xe'ra's core only reinforce what Velen already pointed out: Elune and the Naaru are connected, somehow.

Yet I believe we shouldn't be 100% trustful about the book Khadgar is citing. Is, after all, an in-universe source and a source of Azerothian origin. While it could be truth, it could be not, too. I mean... it is a perfectly retconable piece of lore due to the "unreliable source" trope.
Yeah... Where does he even get a book with both the Naaru and Elune in it. The Elves wouldn't have it. If the Draenei had it, I guess they'd be doing the same thing they did with the orcs back on Draenor: being know it alls about other people's religion. Ethereals? Titans?
Old 05-22-2016, 10:08 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Yeah... Where does he even get a book with both the Naaru and Elune in it. The Elves wouldn't have it. If the Draenei had it, I guess they'd be doing the same thing they did with the orcs back on Draenor: being know it alls about other people's religion. Ethereals? Titans?
Presumably the idea of a source on cosmology in-universe would amount to something along the lines of consolidated readings and visions from various seers, astrologers and other mystical/celestial observers over the ages.

The Blue Dragonflight's use of the Embrace to empower a new Aspect, MU Ner'zhul's application of celestial alignment from the Book of Medivh to open his portals, and the Shadowmoon traditions of astrological communion seen in WoD suggest that in the WarCraft universe there actually are answers to be found in the stars if someone figures out how to read them properly.

It's not necessarily off the wall to consider that as new races have contacted Azeroth, the Kirin Tor would have people running around gathering information on the understandings and applications of magic and mysticism brought with them to increase the overall understanding of how such things work.

We've had the draenei showing up with their knowledge, titan repositories getting exposed, the Dragonflights working with the mortal races, and more recently opportunities to investigate an intact Draenor rife with even more draenic knowledge, along with that of the ogres, orcs and arakkoa. It's not entirely hard to imagine that this whole time the scholars in Dalaran would be amassing data, trying to sync up all of this stuff and figure how it could all come together.

Tags
chronicle, elune, speculation