Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Orb of Slow Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

This is a thread about the HBO series.

Let's have the other thread be about the book series and spoilers through out so we don't have to keep having the black box syndrome in that thread.

What are your thoughts on Season 3 so far?

No Strong Belwas (ever, according to the producers) makes me sad.

Mod Edit: Here is the Song of Ice & Fire thread for book discussion, please talk about any future spoilers in that thread so the Unsullied don't have to worry about posting in here.

Last edited by Shaman; 05-04-2015 at 06:18 PM..
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 AM

Eternal

So far, season 3 has been rather slow-paced, just like the beginning of the book. However, I noticed some distinct improvements in cinematography. A lot of shots look a lot more cinematic than they've ever done before.

Also, focusing on a select few of characters per episode makes the show feel less ADHD.

The Strong Belwas cut really does hurt and might even spoil something for bookreaders. He might die of that poisoned food after all.

No point in spoiler-coding it, obviously, since he won't be on the show anyway.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

They need to pick up the pace. A lot. Right now it's like watching a fucking soap opera.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Well, they set up all the scenes for action now.

So hopefully.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

I heard that JRR Martin himself writes some of the episodes. For an example, it was his idea to have Loras don Renleys armour, and supposedly cut away this Garland character.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 AM

Eternal

GRRM writes one episode per season. Blackwater was one of those episodes.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
They need to pick up the pace. A lot. Right now it's like watching a fucking soap opera.
For all intents and purposes it IS a fucking soap opera. Only with dragons and swords and gore and actual fucking, as opposed to the daytime tripe.

The assertion that they're sticking to the book pace is accurate. The problem is that some storylines just don't have a lot of material and some don't have any material at all and have to be created for the show.

Re: Strong Belwas, I'm fine with him getting cut out. I can see an argument to be made about minority actors being used exclusively for supporting roles, and how Strong Belwas would have echoed Salladhor Saan, Irri, Rakharo, and Xaro Xoan Daxos as being nothing more than a prop with some good lines. The cast already promises to just get larger as time goes on, so paring off anyone who isn't mission-critical is fine for me.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Yeah there are so many people to catch up with at the beginning, not to mention several important new characters we need introducing. They were pretty much forced to split the premiere into 2 parts - and there's a handful of people we still haven't met yet. It's a big ball, but once it gets rolling, it's gonna flatten shit.

I really hope the Bloody Mummers make an appearance, but it looks like they won't. Seriously, why would television ignore a mercenary band made up of a lisping sadist, disgraced maester, a cannibal, a child-killing priest, a fat Dothraki and many more.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.

Last edited by Saranus; 04-10-2013 at 12:06 PM..
Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
I agree. It's getting a bit stale.

---
Also, my current favourite perspectives are Jon/Wildlings and Jaime/Brienn, with Arya and gang coming in at a close third.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:20 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Very impressed with the Queen of Thorns, so far. People who've read the books have told me a lot about her, as well as compared me to her, so I've been waiting to see what her deal is.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:29 PM

Eternal

In some behind the scenes clips, I've seen Olenna and Tywin sharing scenes.
Now I'm scared the universe might end if these two clash.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
In some behind the scenes clips, I've seen Olenna and Tywin sharing scenes.
Now I'm scared the universe might end if these two clash.
There were also a few clips shown of Olenna and Varys.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded Chikn View Post
This is a thread about the HBO series.

Let's have the other thread be about the book series and spoilers through out so we don't have to keep having the black box syndrome in that thread.

What are your thoughts on Season 3 so far?

No Strong Belwas (ever, according to the producers) makes me sad.
I was going to make this thread myself, good thinking.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:44 PM

Needs A Hug

Tyrion is still my favorite character in both mediums.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
So far, season 3 has been rather slow-paced, just like the beginning of the book. However, I noticed some distinct improvements in cinematography. A lot of shots look a lot more cinematic than they've ever done before.
I felt the same way. I thought the scene with Sansa was superbly shot. I was impressed. Shot some other way, that scene could have easily been extremely boring, but instead it was tense and dramatic.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

I wonder if theyre planning on using Gendry in place of Edric Storm?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:13 PM

Eternal

Those credits man!
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 PM

Elune

That was weird, but I kinda liked it. At first I thought the song was some evil, evil prank by the uploader (I streamed it), but then I recognized the words. I don't think the song was bad to have, but it was jarring to suddenly have no sound. I think I'd rather they just kept the amputation scene silent and play the song over the credits.

I will say that the song itself was one of the best and most important parts of book 3 for me. I was geeking out when they were singing it in the woods. I hope they continue to show people singing it throughout the season. It exemplifies one of the main themes of the entire series.

And was Edmure always such a turd in the books? I don't recall him being that incompetent. In the book, he misses the boat twice, but gets it the third time (I think). And I also remember from the books that Littlefinger kept his plan to take over the Vale a secret for much longer, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
That was weird, but I kinda liked it
Gosh, I didn't at all.

I thought it was way too out of place with the rest of the shows tone. Play it during the credits, sure, but don't interrupt the dialogue and the entire mood of the scene with such a harsh cut. It felt sloppy, and I'm hoping it was just a problem with the stream I watched.

Last edited by Porimlys; 04-15-2013 at 12:53 AM..
Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Did my stream of the episode have lag when I was watching it, or was that song supposed to start playing while they were in mid-conversation? I could see that they were still talking but all I could hear was the music.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 AM

Elune

What the fuck was that music over the credits? That was the least appropriate song considering what immediately preceded it that they could've picked. "Mmm whatcha saaaay" while Jaime was getting his hand cut off would've fit better than this crap.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:51 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
I didn't.

I though it was way too out of place with the rest of the shows tone. Play it during the credits, sure, but don't interrupt the dialogue and the entire mood of the scene with such a harsh cut. It felt sloppy, and I'm hoping it was just a problem with the stream I watched.
No, it's official. There was an early stream that had the audio cut out and the song played at the wrong time. About 30 secs early. This one has the correct audio. Rest easy friends. I watched the same one you guys did and thought it had to be wrong. Looked in the comments section on a few sites. A lot of people were raging about how the audio was jacked up (not even realizing the song was relevant to the show) and the uploader was an asshole. A few people said that it didn't start till the credits when they actually watched on HBO, and pretty soon someone had a link. Unfortunately the video quality is not so good. But that's the price we pay for being scum of the earth pirates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar
What the fuck was that music over the credits? That was the least appropriate song considering what immediately preceded it that they could've picked. "Mmm whatcha saaaay" while Jaime was getting his hand cut off would've fit better than this crap.
It was this song. The Bolton men who captured Jaime and Brienne were singing it in the woods.

Last edited by Saranus; 04-15-2013 at 12:59 AM..
Old 04-15-2013, 12:52 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
No, it's official. There was an early stream that had the audio cut out and the song played at the wrong time. About 30 secs early. This one has the correct audio. Rest easy friends.
*phew* haha

I mean, you never know what weird artistic decisions people will make :p

Last edited by Porimlys; 04-15-2013 at 12:56 AM..
Old 04-15-2013, 12:59 AM

Elune

I can't be the only one who is not feeling the mood whiplash that the song creates even if it's just over the credits, am I?
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 AM

Elune

At first I thought they were gonna just cut his eye out, and I was all like, "damn it, they aren't gonna do it." They took away what made him the Kingslayer.

Tags
a game of clans, cleganebowl, dwagon, entertainment, finally winter sheesh, game of thrones, happy father's day, oberyn has a headache, song of ice and fire, television, tywin lordaeron