Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 03-16-2021, 03:39 PM

World Builder

Question Is there any hope for Blizz?

Blizz seems to have accelerated its slide into corporate gutlessness with all the layoffs, and we know they're doing more mobile game stuff in the future which are infamous for microtransaction BS.

So is that it? Or Do we think there's likely to be anything good about future games and company practices beyond... art and music carrying them?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-16-2021, 11:04 PM

Elune

Yeah it's way dead.

Art and music will probably remain highpoints but Blizzard polish is a thing of the past. And my PoV is mainly from Hearthstone that mobile cancer you mention and they do govern their design choices a lot based on what will maximize revenue. Meanwhile gameplay and player satisfaction suffer heavily. They too easily cut support to older games without trying to respect the players by trying to fix things as soon as the money stops flowing. And not just flowing but flowing liberally, being just profitable doesn't cut it anymore. They also insert SJW politics to try to muddy the waters and distract people but that never helps.

Blizz is just another greedy big game dev. company, get what you can from them but don't expect anything.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:54 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

I mean, wasn't it just a bunch of e-sports folk? Sucks for them for sure, but I don't think it spells doom for the company.

Overwatch and HotS just came too late to really make a splash in the e-sport scene. As nasty as it may sound to those affected by the move, it makes sense to get rid of baggage.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:08 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
I mean, wasn't it just a bunch of e-sports folk? Sucks for them for sure, but I don't think it spells doom for the company.

Overwatch and HotS just came too late to really make a splash in the e-sport scene. As nasty as it may sound to those affected by the move, it makes sense to get rid of baggage.
No, they laid off folks in other parts of the company too.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-18-2021, 10:25 PM

Arch-Druid

Yea, it's getting kind of ridiculous. Even my guildmates who are diehard Blizz apologists, are starting to say the nickel and diming, along with the other business practices, are getting to be too much. Blizz won't die, but it's by far a shell of it's former self. Kodick getting a 200m bonus because of the pandemic, and nothing he did himself, is just another notch of stupidity.