Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 AM

Problemsolver

Howsabout something like this?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:12 PM

World Builder

Alright, Anansi and Ethenil, rather than making two or three line posts scattered throughout the day, please each outline your view of the contention between you on how the thing with the dragon roosts and such ought to be handled

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-16-2017, 08:28 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Alright, Anansi and Ethenil, rather than making two or three line posts scattered throughout the day, please each outline your view of the contention between you on how the thing with the dragon roosts and such ought to be handled
First of all, I'm sorry that I've been such an asshole about this. I don't really have the right to unilaterally shut down Ethy's ideas, and I suppose I've recently been kind of a huge dick.

So I'll try again, without the bullshit.

My concern is the distance between the world tree and the seal of binding on Not-Jormungandr. I've attached an image detailing the shortest route between the two regions I figure he'll need to occupy (discounting global curvature, I'm afraid).

Name:  distance.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  43.4 KB

That's a really long way to go. Remember that Solthris is huge, and Gruthar alone is slightly larger than North America. So let me provide a more detailed account of my concerns:

- If Njardhir and his brood had to travel that distance when they first were dispatched against Jormungandr, it would have taken them a long time, like possibly even more than a month, to get there.

- Depending on how sudden the Dragonfall was, he'd also maybe take up to a month to get back to safety once it started.

- He'd have to travel the entire distance back again once the seal broke at Arteanu, which would probably just mean that everyone died before he got there. Humans usually can't breathe underwater for more than an hour or two, and that's when there isn't a giant snake demon battering at the walls of reality a shadow's breadth away.

- He wouldn't even be able to communicate with his masters once he got back to the other side of the world, unless you gave him some kind of magic walkie-talkie, which would further trivialize the distance between tree and seal. I don't think we can, in good faith, trivialize such a vast distance.

I know there are other problems I can't think of off the top of my head, but I really don't see why any of these have to be problems, because I don't see why Njardhir has to come from Njorthos.

The solution I propose is simply to move your culture of Not-Aesir-worshiping vrykul, complete with their 'world tree' constellation of otherworldly gates, to a land mass closer to Arteanu. This would solve pretty much everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:43 PM

Eternal

Just to note that at no point did I feel offended or upset, everything's fine

For the Nvordrakkr fighting not-Jormungand, any modern geography is irrelevant since the world was being heaved and remade all the time back then, and the gods were unleashing their power almost directly upon the world.

Anyway, what I had in mind originally was that he had magically appeared to the west and simply gone to Arteanu, maybe even appeared over Arteanu in the first place, because of, well, magic. His communication with his master(s) would be in a shrine or temple or something.

Nonetheless, I recognize the point you're making, so I ask a very important question: how further east does east become west?
Old 08-16-2017, 12:59 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post

Nonetheless, I recognize the point you're making, so I ask a very important question: how further east does east become west?
...You mean where's the Prime Meridian?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-16-2017, 07:14 PM

Eternal

Quote:
...You mean where's the Prime Meridian?
I want to know how close Njorthos is to Xaxalin on the other side.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:44 PM

World Builder

Quote:
I want to know how close Njorthos is to Xaxalin on the other side.
I don't think we have the distances nailed down for that just yet.

I think the best way to reconcile this is that

1. After the Dragonfall, Njardhir didn't think mortals could mess with the seal. And if anyone did mess with it, he had 'alarm' spells that would notify him.

2. Maybe there were false-alarms over the years with previous casters messing with it but it was never anything serious, but when Haxmana and his casters started prying at it (a few weeks/whatever time period is necessary PRIOR to the sinking), Njardhir started making his way to Arteanu at top speed.

3. Despite hurrying, Njardhir arrived amidst the last days of the war and witnesses Haxmana and his casters folly.

4. Njardhir patched the seal and turned the humans to merfolk*.

5. Njardhir worked with dragons in the region to continue mending the seal and crafted a magic device/temple that allows sporadic communication with the deity, but it only works "When The Stars Are Right" a few times a year, and as a result he only rarely returns to Njorthos and instead stays at a roost near the seal most of the time.

6. Njardhir mysteriously disappears.

*It's up for debate whether you want this to be a big spell cast all at once that turned every man woman and child into merfolk, or if the continent sinking took place over the course of a few hours/days and there was any kind of a 'choice' offered or what, and how the newly formed merfolk survived the sinking and magic catastrophe involved.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

1. An unfinished Timeline.

http://solthris.wikia.com/wiki/Cosmic_Timeline

2. Gonna push folks to make major proposals and thoughts as posts in here again, not just in the discord, to help conversation run more smoothly.

Aneurysm, can you go into more detail on the RAM issue and your current feelings on the map?

Can I also get a general 'litmus test' on how folks are feeling about the project, what to change, what to keep doing, etc...

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 08-28-2017 at 11:49 PM..
Old 08-29-2017, 02:53 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Aneurysm, can you go into more detail on the RAM issue and your current feelings on the map?
I don't really know what else to say, that hasn't already been said. I'm working with 15,000,000 pixels (5000x3000) and twenty different layers, basically turning those 15,000,000 pixels into 15,000,000*20 pixels (not quite, because not all layers are fully coloured, a lot of it's empty space, but close enough to periodically give my computer seizures). And on top of that my hardware isn't exactly up to date (I think it's some four years since I upgraded anything), so when I'm working on the map for too long I run into issues with lag and freezing up. I've lost so much progress due to Photoshop crashing before I got a chance to save that I find it counter-productive to expand it further in any extensive manner. Maybe you've noticed my activity dropping significantly with each major addition? It's because with every expansion PS grows more tedious to work with.

As for my feelings of the map, as I've said before, I want to finish up the landmasses that are incomplete (the two westernmost ones). After that I think like we don't really need more room, nor do I believe I can continue working on it unless I upgrade my computer's processing power and shit. Rather we should focus on hashing out the various climates and biomes of the landmasses established, because most places on the map are sort of randomly created. More an illusion to make it look varied and realistic, using Earth satellite maps as a reference, than actually being born from any tangible knowledge of climatology or geology. Maybe even re-work some of the shapes and coastlines of the continents, there are some places I think could do with some minor tweaks. As well as maybe re-scaling some things too (the volcanoes, Istos again ((even though it's existence on the map is merely symbolic)), mountain ranges, etc.

After that, maybe a southern hemisphere, if it's even needed. But if it'd get to that, I think that would have to be created on a separate map altogether, and would run the risk of it feeling disjointed from the rest of the world. I'd prefer not to, because there's already plenty of soil and earth (and water for the ocean-dwellers) for the races of Solthris to expand and settle, without getting into problems of overlapping altogether. It's a huge world we're working with already, and we're not even getting close to having had created the number of different cultures and societies that have existed on Earth during any given time period. I find it hard that we will run out of room with what we've got.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:32 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I'm still in. So, I think, are Anni, Ethy, and Gromak. Otherwise, everyone seems to have wandered off. I think five is actually a pretty good number for this project.

I second Annie's motion to reject any new continents for the time being.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-29-2017, 07:34 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
*MAP DETAILS*
So while it's conceivably 'fixable' eventually, I agree that it's best to refine what we have so far for the foreseeable future.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-29-2017, 07:44 AM

Eternal

I really approve reworking some borders, like Frelherth for example.

As for a southern hemisphere, couldn't it just be a complete new map, and when working on any continent that the equator slashes, have it whole in a separate map?
Old 08-29-2017, 09:47 PM

World Builder

Alright, Gromak has voiced that he's worried that the Orcini pirates may suffer due to thematic overlap if Ethenil's prospective relocation of their ghost-nation goes to Frelherth.

I for one think this is just nerves talking, Gromak's mentioned in the past that this is kind of his first time presenting some of his worldbuilding ideas publicly, but the Rak'shari have been awesome and the concept of pirate/viking Orcs, goblins, and ogres is fantastic.

Moreover while both Eth's ghosts and Gromak's Orcini would be pirates, the different motivations (acquisition of wealth to fuel their curse vs. Raiding to sustain themselves and continue resistance against the continental empires due historic conflict), varying aesthetics/magics (ghost pirates vs. the kraken worshipping / summoning orcini ; I imagine their ship design's going to be quite different), and overarching narratives (Continental raider orcini and pirate orcini still striving against their age-old enemies even while cut off from each other for the most part), all add up to excellent divergent looks and stories.

This is something of a moot point though, as Grim dropping out of the project and Eth's preferring to relocate to Frelherth opens up the northern continent as the viking/pirate Orcini's adoptive homeland (at least as one of the groups to settle there), and the ghosts can raid the western trade routes while the orcs focus on the eastern, and the central ones can be up for grabs / areas of competition where we have ghost pirates fighting with orcini vikings/pirates, etc...

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-29-2017, 09:57 PM

Eternal

Remember that only a small portion of the ghosts turn to piracy; most are still aristocrats on the mainland.

Anyway, species and civs on Frelherth, beyond the nymphs and possibly dwarves:

- Human nation ruled by ghost aristocracy;

- Vampire feudal lands stretching through plains and rocky highlands;

- A dark forest with dark ents and dark elves;

- A nearby merfolk place;

----------

About the World Tree:

Long ago, during the Godswar, some powerful Primals set a dying World Tree (a primal ent) to be the foundation and connection between their different realms. While the tree itself is akin to Nordrassil upon some landmass, its roots buried deep and far, and where they emerged, formed the gateways to the realms.

Now, if a gate happens to be in the general area where one of you has a civ, you gain complete control over it; how it affects the cultures around it, if at all; where it leads to, and how often, if ever, it was opened.

Last edited by Ethenil; 08-29-2017 at 11:20 PM..
Old 08-30-2017, 05:56 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I still don't think Frelherth is the right place for Spooktown. It's pretty far from Arteanu, which I think is Ethy's only reason to put it there, and I don't even really understand that reason very well.

I've been eyeballing the following island cluster as a place the ghosts might fit in:

Name:  map05.png
Views: 44
Size:  143.3 KB

Still pretty far, but much closer, and plenty large enough for an England-size island nation.

Where did Gromak intend to put the Orcini fleets? Because that's way too important an idea to scrap at this point.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-30-2017, 10:10 AM

World Builder

I think him wanting them to be adjacent to Arteanu is an older concept, since it was noted that Spooktown could be a colony from Arteanu and doesn't need to be contiguous with it.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-30-2017, 07:04 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
I think him wanting them to be adjacent to Arteanu is an older concept, since it was noted that Spooktown could be a colony from Arteanu and doesn't need to be contiguous with it.
Why even a colony? Arteanu was more Persian than Victorian.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-30-2017, 09:35 PM

Eternal

Anansi, those islands have been reserved for the island Nallasi since before it was drawn - I asked for them specifically with these in mind.

Also, I'm pretty adamant that the ghost-led nation, the feudal vampires and the dark woods be all in the same landmass.

As for it being close to Arteanu, that's no longer a critical requirement, as long as they're close enough. I'm getting my ghost ship raiding underwater merfolk towns Nvordrakkrdammit!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:11 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Why even a colony? Arteanu was more Persian than Victorian.
Ugh, I'd forgotten about the aesthetic discrepancy.

*Bangs head on desk*

Alright Solthris Architectural history proposal.

Humans and Cyclops over in Eastern Althesar developed a lot of the greco-roman look but as the Cyclops started being JERKS a lot of humans were pushed west* to get some breathing room. Eventually the expanding cyclops empire backed with hobgoblin mercs they pushed further west and conquered a good chunk of the continent before their eventual fall.

I'm thinking that during the cyclops initial conquest of the region, and the empire's collapse, myriad groups of humans may have pushed across the sea, carrying a mix of architectural influences combining with the persian-architectural styles present in Xaxalin, leading some of the colonies built over time in places like Frelherth to incorporate some of the greco-roman look into some 'gothic' architecture, and laying the groundwork for the blend that'd develop into the (Proto?)-Victorian that Spooktown will have.

Will that help us past this continual stumbling block or will it be too much of a stretch?

*(I imagine a lot of Althesar's western 'hook' having human nations that lived apart from the eastern groups, drawing inspiration from West African areas like Ghana, Benin, and Nigeria. I'm not ready to tackle them in detail just yet but I'm thinking Yoruba Orisha for the most part working with a chameleon-dragon/primordial of some sort)

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-31-2017, 06:09 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Also, I'm pretty adamant that the ghost-led nation, the feudal vampires and the dark woods be all in the same landmass.
I'm going to have to second Annie's complaint against turning this into a theme park. We can maybe have a sect of Victorian vampires in conflict with their neighboring Victorian ghosts, but I want my werewolves to be elsewhere and the dark fey and ents and whatnot should probably be elsewhere still.

Quote:
As for it being close to Arteanu, that's no longer a critical requirement, as long as they're close enough. I'm getting my ghost ship raiding underwater merfolk towns Nvordrakkrdammit!
Then put the Victorian Spooktown somewhere closer to those far-off colonies you were talking about awhile back.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-31-2017, 07:50 AM

World Builder

Quote:
I'm going to have to second Annie's complaint against turning this into a theme park. We can maybe have a sect of Victorian vampires in conflict with their neighboring Victorian ghosts, but I want my werewolves to be elsewhere and the dark fey and ents and whatnot should probably be elsewhere still.

Then put the Victorian Spooktown somewhere closer to those far-off colonies you were talking about awhile back.

1. Let's stick dark elves in southern Xaxalin (or perhaps underground, that's traditional eh?) to contrast with the elves that are in Xaxalin's northern half.

2. That's the one in Frelherth we're talking about

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-31-2017, 05:40 PM

Eternal

Guys. Dark elves & woods, vampires and ghosttown are in the same landmass, which should be fairly north. That's final.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:09 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Guys. Dark elves & woods, vampires and ghosttown are in the same landmass, which should be fairly north. That's final.
Vampires and ghosts, sure. Not dark elves and evil woods, lest it turn into a theme park. And why in the north?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-31-2017, 08:29 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Vampires and ghosts, sure. Not dark elves and evil woods, lest it turn into a theme park. And why in the north?
Sure, no dark elves, but yes dark forests with dark ents.

Actually, dark elves fit that really well, include them in.

What do you guys even mean by theme park? It doesn't make any sense.

I want it north so it's cold and dark and dreary.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:03 PM

World Builder

Quote:
That's final.
Full Stop.

You don't have the authority to make this call.

This is a collaborative project, ONLY YOU have been the stumbling block for the past few months, do not think you can bulldoze people just by being stubborn and assumptive.

You will abide by majority consensus or I will boot you. Do you understand?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-01-2017, 07:49 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
You will abide by majority consensus or I will boot you. Do you understand?
I hope we don't have to resort to threats. We can work this out, right?

Quote:
I want it north so it's cold and dark and dreary.
Frelherth is probably big enough to support another biome, I guess, but the problem remains with its proximity to the Orcini pirate fleet. Maybe up near Njorthos instead? Or the north-east of that north-eastern continent? Is anything up there yet?

Quote:
What do you guys even mean by theme park? It doesn't make any sense.
We don't want this to be the Designated Spooky Area. I know we've been calling it Spooktown, but it shouldn't be the only Town of Spooks in the world. There are too many things to do with vampires and werewolves and ghosts and ghouls and haunted forests and dark elves and more to relegate them to a single region and Victorian Gothic aesthetic. So in short, I'm concerned about putting all our rotten eggs in your one basket, nor do we want all spookems to be the same.

Quote:
Sure, no dark elves, but yes dark forests with dark ents.

Actually, dark elves fit that really well, include them in.
Dark elves would indeed fit great with haunted forests and dark ents, but they wouldn't fit so well with your Victorian Gothic kind of sinister-but-highly-cultivated society of vampire lords and ghost parliaments. So hey, let's put the haunted forests over in Frelherth, and just move your ghost pirates and vampire counts somewhere else. How's that sound?
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
collaboration, solthris, worldbuilding