Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

View Poll Results: Which shall it be!
Option 1! 22 59.46%
Option 2! 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Ore SoL Public Works, Project 4: Cosmogenesis

So there's two ways I see that this can go.

[1] We all come together in this thread, setting aside our mutual dysfunctions and antipathies at the door, and collectively craft a new, interesting and probably schizophrenic as fuck fictional and probably fantastical setting built upon our integrated individual perceptions of what makes a compelling world and story.

[2] Cosmictimelion and Genesis have sloppy makeouts.

You decide!

Here's a link to the Wiki.

Last edited by Anansi; 05-17-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 PM

Site Staff - Admin

What happens when people have wildly discrepant ideas?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

I like this idea!

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Surely, that would never happen among the fine and enlightened people of Scrolls of Lore dot com slash forums!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:47 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Surely, that would never happen among the fine and enlightened people of Scrolls of Lore dot com slash forums!
That's not a solution!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
That's not a solution!
You're not a solution!

Or maybe we could calmly and rationally discuss the relative merits and weaknesses in one or another mutually exclusive ideas, recognizing in the process the intrinsic emotional attachment of each idea's creator to said idea and respecting their right to disagree with what ultimately would be the decision of the forum as a whole!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
You're not a solution!

Or maybe we could calmly and rationally discuss the relative merits and weaknesses in one or another mutually exclusive ideas, recognizing in the process the intrinsic emotional attachment of each idea's creator to said idea and respecting their right to disagree with what ultimately would be the decision of the forum as a whole!
I think I'm capable of doing that, just as you ex-Archimedes.

I also think this creative process could be done using lots of polls on this thread in order to choose some concepts or ideas.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)

Last edited by Cemotucu; 05-06-2013 at 07:39 PM..
Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Either the power of Democracy and Consensus, or we just find room for both ideas to fit.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Old 05-07-2013, 04:41 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Quote:
Our frustration and discord takes a form of a ball of tangled threads of existence, which soon forms into a Snarl.

A good question to ask ourselves: do we want to have "fantasy counterparts" of real world cultures, or largely blend widely unrelated elements?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:54 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Archimonde should assign homework.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Let's do this top-down. Decide on one thing first, and not continue with anything else until that one point has been settled.

For instance: The site of the setting.

1) One world.

2) Several worlds.

3) A planet.

4) Several planets.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:34 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Re: Multiple Disconnected Spheres

Though an interesting idea in itself, it does defeat the purpose of the exercise.

The purpose of this Project is not for everyone to craft their own unique and individual world before combining it with everyone else's into a single continuity. It's a neat idea, certainly, and if this goes well I'll probably set such an exercise up when we're 'finished' (if nobody else does it first), but this is intended to be a strongly collaborative experiment. It's meant to establish what we, as a collective, most appreciate in fantasy/sci-fi literature and yield some kind of unified, aggregated representation of what we, the diseased oversoul of Scrolls of Lore, think would be really nifty.

TL: DR Executive decision = one world/planet

That said, the impression I'm getting from this last page or two is that the people want a blend of technology and magic. Great! We're getting somewhere! Now what should the ratio be? What sorts of magic and what sorts of technology? Is magic a chaotic or an orderly thing? Is the technology intrinsically magical? Are magically and technologically advanced cultures frequently at odds, are they friendly or are they integrated to some degree? Are there intrinsic differences in the intellectual capacities of different species/races that make one or another more inclined toward technology or spellcraft than others? Let's get some more ideas flowing.

And start thinking about what kinds of cultures, races, religions, geographical gimmicks and plot dynamics you'd like to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Archimonde should assign homework.
I want a five page paper on a set of proposed thaumophysical properties by Thursday. Single-spaced, 10 point font and a complete bibliography.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-07-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
That said, the impression I'm getting from this last page or two is that the people want a blend of technology and magic. Great! We're getting somewhere! Now what should the ratio be? What sorts of magic and what sorts of technology? Is magic a chaotic or an orderly thing? Is the technology intrinsically magical? Are magically and technologically advanced cultures frequently at odds, are they friendly or are they integrated to some degree? Are there intrinsic differences in the intellectual capacities of different species/races that make one or another more inclined toward technology or spellcraft than others? Let's get some more ideas flowing.

And start thinking about what kinds of cultures, races, religions, geographical gimmicks and plot dynamics you'd like to see.
That's the kind of homework I meant.
Try not to overburden our little minds with too many questions, though. We might want to establish a few things, before going as far as thinking about races and cultures. Follow the magician's advice.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:04 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
R

For me, the rules of magic should be :

-species with high level in technology shouldn't be able to use a great deal of magic, not because they can't but because the magic requires a very special mindset which is largely incompatible with the mindset required to create advanced technology. Obviously, species which have mastered the mystic arts shouldn't be able to create advanced technology. So the techmagi would be stuff of legends, when two species worked together to achieve a greater goal.

-the magic ins't in a inherent way a chaotic or wild power, but its effects depend of the mindset of the pratictioner : for instance, the member of a civilized species would be able to use the magic as a precise and subtle tool because his mindset would allow him to, but he would be unable to use his mastery of magic to unleach chaotic spells of destructions. Obviously, the member of a brutal species would be the exact opposite.

-faith should play a big part in the use of magic because it is a component of the mindset : when one faith is strong, the use of magic is less numerous, but the remaining ones are more powerful (for instance if someone follow the religion of a Healing Goddess, then his power will be restricted to heal with his culture adding a level of disparity in the use of magic : a civilized would be able to heal terrible wounds which require precision and dexterity but couldn't do it to more than one, or at best two, wounded people, while a barbarian would be able to heal a lot of people but only if they have small wounds).

That's all I could think of for now, since I've an exam today, so I can't think about it as much as I would like.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:13 PM

World Builder

Runes

Sanguimin (Pronounced San-guhwe-min) also "Sanguim" or more commonly "The Inkbloods"

Quiet, quiet not now I'm reading... unless... you have something for me to see? Oh yes very interesting... Where did you find this? Show me, lead the way. Yes I mean now!

Appearance and Physiology:

These creatures bodies contain no bones and the few internal structures they possess only loosely pass for organs.

Inkbloods usually stand roughly four feet high and wrap themselves so completely in cloth, leather or armor that the only visible part of them is the single large eye that takes up much of their face, and the smaller stalks of tendrils that poke up, or through, the cloth that cover them from the back of their heads to their rears, which tapers off into their short tails.

Their bodies are round and possess little to no 'neck'. Sanguimin hands have three fingers and two thumbs (one on each side of the hand), their legs and feet are generally short, flat, and stumpy like those of a rhino or hippo.

The color of their flesh varies but is generally a deep black, as is their blood. The sclera of their eye can be white, grey, or black, and the color of the iris ranges the full spectrum of color.

Hearing is more complicated, Inkbloods will hear with perfect clarity anything said within roughly twelve feet of them, from there to roughly thirty feet away sound gradually degrades in quality, past that they can sense sound, but only in the vaguest sense, they cannot tell what is being said or in what tone, only what direction it is coming from.

A puzzling trait, often attributed to the tendrils that cover the back of their bodies, is that Sanguim have a general awareness of all space roughly eight feet around them, and can occasionally appear startled or distracted in busy areas.

Sanguimin are genderless, though occasionally their personalities will exhibit traits identified mostly with one gender or another, the vast majority do not demonstrate an inclination to any sort of gender binary. The species reproduces by mingling a mix of slime from the bodies of any number of donors in a stable container. The more donors the more the 'offspring' will differ from the original(s) in personality, knowledge (not memory) and other traits. After three months of 'brewing' the new Inkblood is physically adult and left to its own devices.

They need to eat relatively often, but have no sense of taste and can digest nearly anything. They have no sense of temperature, and appear unharmed by temperature extremes in the traditional sense, but their sight, and touch is very accurate.

Water is incredibly important to Sanguimin as without it their bodies harden and they slip into a sort of stasis until adequately hydrated once more. There does not appear to be any limit to the time they can endure as there are rumors of Sanguimin being pulled from desert ruins and sand dunes, being rehydrated, and awakening none the worse for the wear.

Cold climates pose unique challenges to their slimelike physiology but they have developed a magic spell that allows them to imbue stones with heat and light without flame, and will often swallow these stones during journeys through cold climates, or use them to read by.

Simply put, Inkbloods are relatively easy to harm and incapacitate, but exceedingly difficult to actually kill. So long as the tough, leathery sac that contains most of the eye and the tissues that serve as their brain is intact a Sanguimin can regenerate if left alone for long enough with sufficient food or water.

Perhaps the most unusual trait is that after reading any kind of record (provided they understand the language it's written in), the Inkbloods can ingest this record and solidify their memory so that it is permanent and exact to the last detail. Their memory is otherwise average, but they will often keep journals and periodically consume them in order to attain what is functionally, perfect memory.

Due to being boneless, they can squeeze through any space their eye can fit through, eventually.

Culture:
Despite their somewhat alien appearance Sanguimin are generally friendly individuals. They have no nation of their own and travel across the world, reading and studying anything they come across, due to their tremendous love of knowledge, but in particular, of the written word.

Sanguimin, due to their long lifespans, will occasionally 'set up shop' in a location, offering the services of their perfect memory to work as archivists, copy existing texts, preserve decaying works, aid in archeological endeavors, translate other languages, and serve as legal aides or librarians and the like. They may also remain in a location to observe, record, and chronicle important events, and will sometimes just trail after people they find interesting and write down what they do.

This has led to the tragic maiming of many an Inkblood as they unknowingly violate privacy or stumble into conspiracies or grand adventures.

They are generally rubbish in melee combat, but have a minor affinity for magic, and are particularly fond of spells that attack the mind or senses that they do not possess, so they can be cast over broad area's without harming themselves while their foes suffer the effects of phantom flames or ice without true injury, babble in tongues unable to coordinate, suddenly find themselves insulting each other, blurting random trivia, or their deepest secrets.

They can sometimes appear self-centered and are generally very quiet (unless recounting something interesting they've read, in which case, good luck getting them to shut up) but despise traveling alone and will often seek out a companion to listen to or observe.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-12-2014, 12:31 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Korath, Most of the history of the covens that you wrote wasn't actually history, but the method trough which they operate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Sanguimin
Okay that's interesting, but I have questions.

How would you categorize them? Check these sub-categories. Would you like to create a new category?

As I understand they are slime creatures that are found all around the world and have no nation. In Jebrak they would end up being enslaved by the Goblin Empire of old. After they were released what did they do?

Can they swim in the sea?

Do you want for them to be also found on Tartarion? If so how do they differ due to Tartarion savage nature(as there is very little civilization there)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
Well, it could works, like this, but we would have to suppress the Covens Page (and the Thamak one !).
Actually I would just turn the coven page into a disambiguation page.

I don't understand the Thamaks...
Old 01-12-2014, 12:46 PM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post

Actually I would just turn the coven page into a disambiguation page.

I don't understand the Thamaks...
They were barbarians (humans), but they were finally rejected early, so I just took a part of their name as the root for the Kingdom of Thama.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:12 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Okay that's interesting, but I have questions.

1. How would you categorize them? Check these sub-categories. Would you like to create a new category?

2. As I understand they are slime creatures that are found all around the world and have no nation. In Jebrak they would end up being enslaved by the Goblin Empire of old. After they were released what did they do?

3. Can they swim in the sea?

4. Do you want for them to be also found on Tartarion? If so how do they differ due to Tartarion savage nature(as there is very little civilization there)?
1. Organisms. Fungi.

2. A good chunk would categorize the fall of the empire and the aftermath, probably set up libraries, schools and such in any stable areas. The rest would travel, though they'd likely be a tad more defense-conscious than other Sanguim, and have some kind of construct as a servant/bodyguard as soon as they could manage it. I dunno what you guys have decided with golems yet.

3. They cannot swim period. They sink, but can usually walk along the bottom so long as the current's not too strong. They can hold their breath for about Twenty minutes underwater but after that they'd drown even if their brain's intact.

4. Sanguim as they're known anywhere else are not present there as natives (though a few would travel to catalogue it with bodyguards). There are however giant one eyed slugs with arms called Saghuka that eat tar, decaying plant / animal material, have primitive instinctive magics, and are generally benign unless disturbed who have a common origin with the Sanguim.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-12-2014, 12:38 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Sanguimin (Pronounced San-guhwe-min) also "Sanguim" or more commonly "The Inkbloods"

Quiet, quiet not now I'm reading... unless... you have something for me to see? Oh yes very interesting... Where did you find this? Show me, lead the way. Yes I mean now!

Appearance and Physiology:

These creatures bodies contain no bones and the few internal structures they possess only loosely pass for organs.

Inkbloods usually stand roughly four feet high and wrap themselves so completely in cloth, leather or armor that the only visible part of them is the single large eye that takes up much of their face, and the smaller stalks of tendrils that poke up, or through, the cloth that cover them from the back of their heads to their rears, which tapers off into their short tails.

Their bodies are round and possess little to no 'neck'. Sanguimin hands have three fingers and two thumbs (one on each side of the hand), their legs and feet are generally short, flat, and stumpy like those of a rhino or hippo.

The color of their flesh varies but is generally a deep black, as is their blood. The sclera of their eye can be white, grey, or black, and the color of the iris ranges the full spectrum of color.

Hearing is more complicated, Inkbloods will hear with perfect clarity anything said within roughly twelve feet of them, from there to roughly thirty feet away sound gradually degrades in quality, past that they can sense sound, but only in the vaguest sense, they cannot tell what is being said or in what tone, only what direction it is coming from.

A puzzling trait, often attributed to the tendrils that cover the back of their bodies, is that Sanguim have a general awareness of all space roughly eight feet around them, and can occasionally appear startled or distracted in busy areas.

Sanguimin are genderless, though occasionally their personalities will exhibit traits identified mostly with one gender or another, the vast majority do not demonstrate an inclination to any sort of gender binary. The species reproduces by mingling a mix of slime from the bodies of any number of donors in a stable container. The more donors the more the 'offspring' will differ from the original(s) in personality, knowledge (not memory) and other traits. After three months of 'brewing' the new Inkblood is physically adult and left to its own devices.

They need to eat relatively often, but have no sense of taste and can digest nearly anything. They have no sense of temperature, and appear unharmed by temperature extremes in the traditional sense, but their sight, and touch is very accurate.

Water is incredibly important to Sanguimin as without it their bodies harden and they slip into a sort of stasis until adequately hydrated once more. There does not appear to be any limit to the time they can endure as there are rumors of Sanguimin being pulled from desert ruins and sand dunes, being rehydrated, and awakening none the worse for the wear.

Cold climates pose unique challenges to their slimelike physiology but they have developed a magic spell that allows them to imbue stones with heat and light without flame, and will often swallow these stones during journeys through cold climates, or use them to read by.

Simply put, Inkbloods are relatively easy to harm and incapacitate, but exceedingly difficult to actually kill. So long as the tough, leathery sac that contains most of the eye and the tissues that serve as their brain is intact a Sanguimin can regenerate if left alone for long enough with sufficient food or water.

Perhaps the most unusual trait is that after reading any kind of record (provided they understand the language it's written in), the Inkbloods can ingest this record and solidify their memory so that it is permanent and exact to the last detail. Their memory is otherwise average, but they will often keep journals and periodically consume them in order to attain what is functionally, perfect memory.

Due to being boneless, they can squeeze through any space their eye can fit through, eventually.

Culture:
Despite their somewhat alien appearance Sanguimin are generally friendly individuals. They have no nation of their own and travel across the world, reading and studying anything they come across, due to their tremendous love of knowledge, but in particular, of the written word.

Sanguimin, due to their long lifespans, will occasionally 'set up shop' in a location, offering the services of their perfect memory to work as archivists, copy existing texts, preserve decaying works, aid in archeological endeavors, translate other languages, and serve as legal aides or librarians and the like. They may also remain in a location to observe, record, and chronicle important events, and will sometimes just trail after people they find interesting and write down what they do.

This has led to the tragic maiming of many an Inkblood as they unknowingly violate privacy or stumble into conspiracies or grand adventures.

They are generally rubbish in melee combat, but have a minor affinity for magic, and are particularly fond of spells that attack the mind or senses that they do not possess, so they can be cast over broad area's without harming themselves while their foes suffer the effects of phantom flames or ice without true injury, babble in tongues unable to coordinate, suddenly find themselves insulting each other, blurting random trivia, or their deepest secrets.

They can sometimes appear self-centered and are generally very quiet (unless recounting something interesting they've read, in which case, good luck getting them to shut up) but despise traveling alone and will often seek out a companion to listen to or observe.
I love it, Sora. The church of Isuria of the Wind elves would seek them with fervor, to employ or strong arm into worknig for them. The church of Isuria are obsessed with magic, knowledge and history.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:44 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Korath I split the pages like I said and turned the assassin coven page into disambiguation pages. Tell me how you like it.

Also guys remember to make your authorial claims. So we can have sense of who's responsible for what.

http://solcu.wikia.com/wiki/Author_Claim
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Is Spelljammer kind of like that or not?

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM

@Magistrix: Everyone getting his own world, isn't that too ambitious for us beginners? I don't know how the rest feels about this, besides you, but I really think we should start with something smaller, that is just own world that gets developed by all of us, and then, maybe, add more worlds, in the way you described.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

The idea being not necessarily to design entire worlds, but rather to recognize that various civilazations and phenomena need not necessarily abide by the exact same laws or history.

However, it was only a spontaneous suggestion.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 PM

Problemsolver

I think if we are to make a collaborate world, the easiest thing would be to focus on the basics at first, such as the worlds geography, zoology, societies and their history. After that's established I think it would be easier to write short stories and novels in any given era of our setting.

Tags
collaboration, creative, fun and games, human oppression, public works, worldbuilding