View Poll Results: Which shall it be!
Option 1! 22 59.46%
Option 2! 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Imagine magic as an exotic particle like how the physicists theorises about the graviton.
This exotic particle interacts with the rest of the universe in perculiar ways. Living beings by nature gather these particles in a dormant state in their living tissue. This is known as mana by the inhabitants of Solcu (Scrolls Of Lore Collaborated Universe ). When this mana is used by the carrier it goes from a dormant to an active state, shifting and altering reality around itself, allowing the caster to do that which normally wouldn't occur. Such as separating charge allowing for electrical discharge in the form of lightning, gathering heat in a point from the surrounding area creating a ball of fire as the molecules in that point ignites.
And certain patterns attract and bind said particles, leading to rune magic.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
I meant by terminology, let's not deviate from using that terminology.

Solcu is a god name I think.
Mr Ananas wanted me to explain magic so I'll throw out whatever my imagination cooks up .
Mana crystals would be a mineral which also traps mana in a dormant state. It could possibly be used as the medium for enchanting items, such as runes on a sword etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroombie View Post
And certain patterns attract and bind said particles, leading to rune magic.
This too.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:59 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

So... runes. A crutch for those who are unable to cast magic, a way to cast more powerful spells, a way of applying permanent spells onto objects or... what exactly will they be?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:01 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
So... runes. A crutch for those who are unable to cast magic, a way to cast more powerful spells, a way of applying permanent spells onto objects or... what exactly will they be?
Time for brainstorming. Write whatever you come up with. Perhaps instead of runes it could be geometrical or mathematical patterns.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM

Eternal

Quote:
All of the above? I figure, like any good technology, it could be used for a ton of different things. You could place a rune of fire on a sword, so when it's activated the rune burns mana particles in order to create a flame. Runes could be etched or tattooed onto someones body (at great risk to their health) so they can channel or access much more magic then otherwise possible. Tons of uses.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
All of the above? I figure, like any good technology, it could be used for a ton of different things. You could place a rune of fire on a sword, so when it's activated the rune burns mana particles in order to create a flame. Runes could be etched or tattooed onto someones body (at great risk to their health) so they can channel or access much more magic then otherwise possible. Tons of uses.
All of this balanced if we have it that great power comes at a great cost or consequence.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
That's the way I see it too. Regarding the drawbacks of runic magic, I guess they can malfunction if the air isn't saturated with enough magic, although a capable wielder could probably use his own magic to fuel them. Of course, the capable wielder would not need the runes in most cases.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:12 PM

Eternal Watcher

Would be interesting to change something we know of in real life to what we need it to be in sol's universe. Perhaps Thorium there is different. Instead of Thorium it's called something else.(Omacrium? just to feed his ego ).
Instead of being radioactive it's what mana crystals are made of: Crystalized Thorium(Omacrium).

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:16 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Would be interesting to change something we know of in real life to what we need it to be in sol's universe. Perhaps Thorium there is different. Instead of Thorium it's called something else.(Omacrium? just to feed his ego ).
Instead of being radioactive it's what mana crystals are made of: Crystalized Thorium(Omacrium).
I think it should be more than thorium, make it all of the Actinide for variance.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:20 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
I think it should be more than thorium, make it all of the Actinide for variance.
Good idea. then we could have different potency of mana crystals depending on what chemical element it's crystalized from.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:22 PM

One question. I know we're not creating creatures right now, but how many, if any at all, earth creature should we borrow? (Humans don't count, of course.)

I'd say 0, but that might prove very difficult.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:23 PM

Eternal

Quote:
One question. I know we're not creating creatures right now, but how many, if any at all, earth creature should we borrow? (Humans don't count, of course.)

I figure we can borrow most stuff, give it a different name, then explain it as divergent evolution.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Quote:
I like it when spells are abstract effects that can be caused by magic, and those effects can be caused via multiple media:
1) writing (runes)
2) speech (spells)
3) thought (psionics? WC-like arcane?)
4) faith (divine magic)
5) alchemy
(And so on)

Different people have practice with different styles, but effects achievable by alchemist, runemaster and wizard are essentially identical.

Last edited by Xarthat; 05-08-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

I vote again for a round world, but I also like the idea of a reversed world. A think an interesting (divided example) of it would be Atreia from Aion:

Imagine that world unbroken: a reversed Earth-like realm. Magic would logically play a huge role in it ecosystem/physics, but since mortals don't need to scientifically understand magic, it could still play the important role.

Maybe the "sun" could be a giant object: the planet's floating core. Shining shine during the day, this infernal sun slowly gets colder and colder at night, expanding itself and leaving only tiny shining points on its surface that would still offer some nightlight. Those shining points could be the "stars". There could also by spherical objects circling the "sun"; however, since their lights are really, really soft, they cannot be seen during the day due to the "sun"'s intensity.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
I vote again for a round world, but I also like the idea of a reversed world. A think an interesting (divided example) of it would be Atreia from Aion:

Imagine that world unbroken: a reversed Earth-like realm. Magic would logically play a huge role in it ecosystem/physics, but since mortals don't need to scientifically understand magic, it could still play the important role.

Maybe the "sun" could be a giant object: the planet's floating core. Shining shine during the day, this infernal sun slowly gets colder and colder at night, expanding itself and leaving only tiny shining points on its surface that would still offer some nightlight. Those shining points could be the "stars". There could also by spherical objects circling the "sun"; however, since their lights are really, really soft, they cannot be seen during the day due to the "sun"'s intensity.
I threw that idea before

Quote:
Inverted world is still a spherical option, but the sphere is reversed the sun is the world core, the moons(which are a lot larger and a lot closer than normal) block the sunlight making night, the moons revolve around the sun, the stars are the remains of dead gods or god's realms, the world is still spherical and there's no clear visible horizon, during the days other continents can be seen in the sky. Underground and underwater goes really deep until it reaches the magma layer, the magma layer is essentially space with other inverted world might be found out there. I could go on forever for this world.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:35 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman

Quote:

I'd say take whatever you want.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:28 PM

Elune

Elder scrolls style planets are also possible as a compromise between round and flat: they look like globes to outside observers, but stretch infinitely in any direction for those on the surface. As such, you can endlessly expand an existing world while still keeping the possibility of other worlds open.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Elder scrolls style planets are also possible as a compromise between round and flat: they look like globes to outside observers, but stretch infinitely in any direction for those on the surface. As such, you can endlessly expand an existing world while still keeping the possibility of other worlds open.
Elder scrolls is also very allegorical mythological, the fact that is a globe or not is not a absolute, and according to vivec sermons the edge of the world are swords.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
Elder scrolls is also very allegorical mythological, the fact that is a globe or not is not a absolute, and according to vivec sermons the edge of the world are swords.
the vivec sermons are also patently insane. Do I need to point out how vivec needed to explain sex to the god of rape, or point out that the entire thing is full of nods towards the player. I'm thinking vivec is secretly playing the role of sheogorath towards the dunmer populace (see also the naming of lie rock).
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM

Elune

Quote:
the vivec sermons are also patently insane. Do I need to point out how vivec needed to explain sex to the god of rape, or point out that the entire thing is full of nods towards the player. I'm thinking vivec is secretly playing the role of sheogorath towards the dunmer populace (see also the naming of lie rock).
Elder scrolls is filled with these and we can't be exactly sure about anything that 's written and said in the games, only what is shown.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
Elder scrolls is filled with these and we can't be exactly sure about anything that 's written and said in the games, only what is shown.
Even by standards of the elder scrolls, the sermons are patently insane, making it really, really suspect as an in-universe source.

Anyway, let's just leave it alone and call it the "simplified elder scrolls model" instead.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
Even by standards of the elder scrolls, the sermons are patently insane, making it really, really suspect as an in-universe source.

Anyway, let's just leave it alone and call it the "simplified elder scrolls model" instead.
Yeah I still don't like it. I prefer the inverted or round models.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 PM

Problemsolver

An inverted world does seem appealing to me. Even if spherical, it gives an interesting and alien twist to it.

But I have to ask, what exists outside of the globe? What happens if you dig too far?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
An inverted world does seem appealing to me. Even if spherical, it gives an interesting and alien twist to it.

But I have to ask, what exists outside of the globe? What happens if you dig too far?
That's where the magic happens.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Would be nice if the OP updated as things were decided.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.

Tags
collaboration, creative, fun and games, human oppression, public works, worldbuilding