Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

View Poll Results: Which shall it be!
Option 1! 22 59.46%
Option 2! 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2013, 03:27 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

You could always use some form of marking to show the contours of the underground kingdoms, just like your underground map used contours to show the continents above the ground.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:29 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
You could always use some form of marking to show the contours of the underground kingdoms, just like your underground map used contours to show the continents above the ground.
I rather not do that in this map... I really rather focus on the overworld here.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:49 PM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Really would like to know if there are anything further to add or change in that map.
Can't think of anything to add or change at the moment. There's plenty of room already for all cultures and races to expand, considering the subterranean tunnels and cavern.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:10 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Can't think of anything to add or change at the moment. There's plenty of room already for all cultures and races to expand, considering the subterranean tunnels and cavern.
I really hope so I really would like to further a few of my ideas.

EDIT:Here are the names that still need to be filled

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Ashendant; 05-17-2013 at 04:30 PM..
Old 05-17-2013, 04:40 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

My name for that southern continent was Sudrovia, if no one has other ideas.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:44 PM

Problemsolver

Sudrovia sounds good, and the rest looks good aswell. How about Gryften for the pink one?
Old 05-17-2013, 04:56 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

So the Sea of Horrors should be above Durad and Yaleka, between the 2 sides of the pink continent, but not make up all of the lavender ocean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
My name for that southern continent was Sudrovia, if no one has other ideas.
How 'bout Sudrov? The ia doesn't really fit a continent IMO.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 PM

Elune

What does the people think of Shambala as the name for the continent-forest which contains Abydos and the Asha?

Edit: For reference; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shambhala

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Elves are bad.

Last edited by Magistrix Verdande; 05-17-2013 at 05:21 PM..
Old 05-17-2013, 05:46 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Pink Continent: Thorjen, Eraad or Nemera.

Brown Continent: Asuros, Suros or Vurdos.

Shambala is okey for me, but maybe you could mix it with an Egyptian word... But if not, it's okey

@Verdande: I'm ok with your proposition. The high giants (or era'thora) were an really ancient race that was created from the god-blessed union of the four thora (giants) tribes. The era'thora had the power of the four elements in their flesh and blood; they created marvels and were the first users of technomagic and runic magic. But the third generation of era'thora become corrupted and sick and enslaved many races: their almost global empire was destroyed in a catastrophe long forgotten that changed Solcu's axis to its current position.

The few surviving era'thora were changed by the magics unleashed during the catastrophe, becoming thinnier and weaker. They swore to prevent the younger races' unsafe use of magic and technology, watching silently from their monasteries. Since that moment, they called themselves kun'dra (Noble Watchers).

I think that they could have had a role in the vanishing of the gods... not sure. Maybe the era'thora were originally created by the gods to serve as multifunction terrain shapers?

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)

Last edited by Cemotucu; 05-17-2013 at 05:48 PM..
Old 05-17-2013, 05:53 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
How 'bout Sudrov? The ia doesn't really fit a continent IMO.
IMHO Sudrov would make it sound too Russian. And I'd want to avoid that because it's inhabited, among others, by communist ogres and I wouldn't want to make it feel like communists have to be (fantasy) Russians.

And while we're at it, any other races (major or minor) that could live on that continent or Orosha Til (the Siberia analogue)?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:58 PM

Elune

Edit: This was in response to Cemotuccu's giants, and what the Ashan interpratation of those (possibly) very same creatures could be.

Hm. The Asha believe in Daeva - beings who are very much alike to the Sura and Asura of Duat, but not quite gods. They're akin to demons and devils (though demons and devils aren't necessarily "evil" in eastern mythologies) and they fought with the gods against the Asha during the Immortal Wars.

The Asha believe that, like the elves, the Daeva were created in Duat and then brought to Solcu by the gods. Though for what purpose isn't certain.

Some historians of other races who might take an interest in elven history and religion (I imagine the Karaadi and the imperial humans might do so, for an example) might consider that many of the minor and less prominent or powerful Sura and Asura were, in fact, Daeva.

The Asha believe the Daeva to be monstrous in appearance - but also hideously beautiful. They imagine them as large giants, mostly female (or very effeminate, if male), with skin as blue as the night sky, and several arms - the demonic of what would later become the frailer and gracefully beautiful elves.

http://www.elfwood.com/art/a/n/anime..._rudhira_c.jpg

And who knows? Something similar might even exist in the other elven mythologies. I can't speak for Yaskaleh, but I imagine some form of Jotun may exist in the Wind Elves history books.

Elves are bad.

Last edited by Magistrix Verdande; 05-17-2013 at 06:02 PM..
Old 05-17-2013, 05:59 PM

Eternal

Kali's boobs are probably the last thing I expected in this thread.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Elune

Whoa, Verdande! Would you believe me if I told you that I imagine the era'thora as four-handed giants? That's called digital telepathy (or like-minded individuals, I think).

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 05-17-2013, 06:20 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
Whoa, Verdande! Would you believe me if I told you that I imagine the era'thora as four-handed giants? That's called digital telepathy (or like-minded individuals, I think).

Elves are bad.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:34 PM

Elune

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 05-17-2013, 06:43 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

I was under the impression the pink continent was Täjara.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:18 PM

Eternal

I wish I'd entered this thread earlier
Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
I wish I'd entered this thread earlier
It's not too late to join in and/or question earlier decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:09 PM

Eternal

I've got a busy weekend, but I'll try and read through entirely so I'm all caught up before attempting to contribute anything.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Well son of a bitch, finally have time to look in on this and it's already 50 pages in.

Looks pretty epic, but a couple notes considering where it looks like it's going...
  • Avoid straight culture stereotypes (e.g. Egyptian Dwarves). Base themes that echo cultures are fun, especially if you think about the "What ifs" of where a culture may have gone with access to one thing or another, but don't force the connection.
  • Avoid straight creature stereotypes. If its common license (religious or cultural myth) then it's probably also been used to death. Going back to dwarves digging...maybe they're not doing literal digging, or maybe their culture doesn't revere the earth, but rather seeks to conquer it from actual subterranean species (showing how their affinity for the earth is based on an evolving culture instead of a natural one).
  • If there's a mountain, there's a rain-shadow. Aka look up how geology and geography affect the world. It gives it a sense of reality that people can latch onto.
  • It's not all about the sentient/sapient creatures. World are built on ecosystems just as much as they are on the apex predators. Start dreaming up plant and insect life, foods that they could be used for (or poisons), and all the lesser species. Are there swarms of locust like creatures? What about animals that could be used as pets? Plants that people keep around for their beauty, but are oddly incredibly poisonous? Make the world breath and it will start living in a way that propels itself.
  • Give a set of rules to the physics and magics of the universe before anything is solidified. If you say there's a wasteland due to a volcano, how will it react with magic in the area? Sentient golems? Warps in space-time? Could the magic draw the magma in strange patterns, creating an alien, fractal city? Put the right set of limitations (not too much, not too little) and you can, again, create one hell of a world.
Oh and one final thing...alien mindsets come from alien senses. Ask yourself what it would be like if you could see in the x-ray spectrum? Could hear infrasounds? Maybe hyper-sensitive ears don't want to be around high pitches and it restricts industry? Human morals, beliefs, and evolution is not the same when you change how they function, so don't expect universal aspects of good, evil, order, chaos, etc. to dominate the mental landscape.

Sorry if these sound condescending, but the greatest worlds I've read about are those that never lost sight of the above. And on that note I'll recede back into the shadows from whence I came...to start dreaming of a species of alcoholic mini-pink-elephantines whose entire culture revolves around the worship of trees that leave behind fruit with convenient husks for natural fermentation.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Well son of a bitch, finally have time to look in on this and it's already 50 pages in.

Looks pretty epic, but a couple notes considering where it looks like it's going...
  • Avoid straight culture stereotypes (e.g. Egyptian Dwarves). Base themes that echo cultures are fun, especially if you think about the "What ifs" of where a culture may have gone with access to one thing or another, but don't force the connection.
  • Avoid straight creature stereotypes. If its common license (religious or cultural myth) then it's probably also been used to death. Going back to dwarves digging...maybe they're not doing literal digging, or maybe their culture doesn't revere the earth, but rather seeks to conquer it from actual subterranean species (showing how their affinity for the earth is based on an evolving culture instead of a natural one).
  • If there's a mountain, there's a rain-shadow. Aka look up how geology and geography affect the world. It gives it a sense of reality that people can latch onto.
  • It's not all about the sentient/sapient creatures. World are built on ecosystems just as much as they are on the apex predators. Start dreaming up plant and insect life, foods that they could be used for (or poisons), and all the lesser species. Are there swarms of locust like creatures? What about animals that could be used as pets? Plants that people keep around for their beauty, but are oddly incredibly poisonous? Make the world breath and it will start living in a way that propels itself.
  • Give a set of rules to the physics and magics of the universe before anything is solidified. If you say there's a wasteland due to a volcano, how will it react with magic in the area? Sentient golems? Warps in space-time? Could the magic draw the magma in strange patterns, creating an alien, fractal city? Put the right set of limitations (not too much, not too little) and you can, again, create one hell of a world.
Oh and one final thing...alien mindsets come from alien senses. Ask yourself what it would be like if you could see in the x-ray spectrum? Could hear infrasounds? Maybe hyper-sensitive ears don't want to be around high pitches and it restricts industry? Human morals, beliefs, and evolution is not the same when you change how they function, so don't expect universal aspects of good, evil, order, chaos, etc. to dominate the mental landscape.

Sorry if these sound condescending, but the greatest worlds I've read about are those that never lost sight of the above. And on that note I'll recede back into the shadows from whence I came...to start dreaming of a species of alcoholic mini-pink-elephantines whose entire culture revolves around the worship of trees that leave behind fruit with convenient husks for natural fermentation.
You should totally make those pink things a part of this.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:30 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroombie View Post
You should totally make those pink things a part of this.
It's more of a very old joke taken to the limit...but give me a couple of hours and I'll put something real quick together.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:39 AM

Hon hon hon

So, about the fauna here's what I have in mind (it's only a draft) :

-Bilious Wyrm : a serpentine creatures, whose head is a nightmarish fusion between a snake one and a spider one, which lenght range from 10 meters to 15; it can spit a large spray of deadly poison.Since it make its nestr near deposit of vara, the Bilious Wyrm is naturally resilient to spells and magic. Its scales and chitin range from deep blue to bright amethyst. Some bilious wrym have been tamed by the Kaaradi.

-Irska : the Irska are a species of huge vampiric bats (roughly the size of an eagle royal) which fur range from light purple to almost black. The Irska are used as a mean of communication between the Kaaradi Gatherings, Bastions and Cities. Their eat the blood of their prey (the Kaaradi themselves if they are tamed, the Ralkish when the Irska are untamed).

-Ralkish : the Ralkish is a sort of boar with six eyes (three on each side of its head) whose fur range from black to deep blue); its leather is mostly used by the Kaaradi to craft their armors. The Ralkish eat mushrooms (mostly the Tears of Kor, the Karis and the Srakïn). Their tusk are able to eviscerate a Kiaris. The Ralkish are highly resilient to poison, just like most of the Kaarad's species.

-Kiaris : the Kiaris are felines, with six eyes, three on each side of the head, like the Ralkish. Their are of the same size than a lynx [of our world] with a blue to purple fur. Their claw and fangs are covered by a poisoned fluid which paralyze their preys. The Kiaris are tamable and they are often the domestic pets/hounds of the Kaaradi. Their sharpe senses are extremely useful for the Kaaradi who hunt Those from Below and other monstruosities of the Land of Terror.

-Ssatarkis : a huge species of spider (goat size), whose silk is used by the Kaaradi, after transmutation by thei Alchemists, to produce their cloth. The main food of the Ssararkis is the Irska. The poison of the Ssatarkis, while non-lethal alone enter in the composition of the majority of Kaaradi's poison.

-Ssatrekis : apex predator, a titanic spider (roughly the same size than an Indian elephant). The Ssatrekis is the only rival of the Bilious Wyrm in the whole Kaarad since it is immune to all sort of poisons but its own (which is even more lethal than the blious wyrm's one). However, its fang usually lack the strengh to pierce the Wyrm scale and chitin. Like almost all creatures in the Kaarad, its chitin range from deep blue to purple. The Ssatrekis are all but untamable.

Last edited by Korath; 05-18-2013 at 12:45 AM..
Old 05-18-2013, 12:51 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Absolutely no offense intended, but these are fairly standard fantasy tropes. I highly recommend that if you're going to create a creature, you look into variations that already exist in real life and really take time to extrapolate from there. The number of variations to arachnids alone is staggering in real life, much less your imagination, so exploring that world should give you a good way to turn a simple giant spider into a truly terrifying (or fascinating) creature.

As an example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_yYC5r8xMI , and that's the tip of the iceberg, much less what you can extrapolate from it.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:05 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post

As an example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_yYC5r8xMI , and that's the tip of the iceberg, much less what you can extrapolate from it.
What the hell is this spider... I think it would fit well in Abydos, but not so much in Kaarad

As for the fauna, it is a draft, for now, because it is hard to think about subterranean species which could be somewhat credible. Anyway, i know that the colors will remain the same, since in my mind the only sources of light in the kaarad are purple/blue crystals and mushrooms, whihc had led the fauna to evolve, hence those strange colors.

Tags
collaboration, creative, fun and games, human oppression, public works, worldbuilding