Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2016, 12:55 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Re-rolled a warrior and am fighting my way through the Undead Burg in Dark Souls.

I love this. The game is brutally hard yet absolutely fair. A lot of game mechanics stuff goes over my head, but I can see the incredible work the designers did on combat.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 08-02-2016, 01:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Re-rolled a warrior and am fighting my way through the Undead Burg in Dark Souls.

I love this. The game is brutally hard yet absolutely fair. A lot of game mechanics stuff goes over my head, but I can see the incredible work the designers did on combat.
Glad you're enjoying it!

When you feel comfortable enough, you can experiment with all sorts of things, though its understandable if you stick with what you like best, too. I would really like to try out one of those dex builds with light armor or something, but I just gravitate toward heavy armor and sword & shield.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:49 AM

Eternal

Looks like Firaxis has listened to people complaining about Theodore Roosevelt having so much fat in his face.

Left is him from his anouncement video, right is the new one seen on several Youtube videos that got released today. Personally I didn't really had a problem with him but it's cool they listen to their fans feedback.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:10 AM

Banished

Actually they probably didnt even "listen" but they already had him "fixed". Catherine looks different in her render compared to her video. Different chin and makeup
Old 08-03-2016, 11:42 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
Actually they probably didnt even "listen" but they already had him "fixed". Catherine looks different in her render compared to her video. Different chin and makeup
No buttchin anymore?

Edit: There's just a huge influx of information today because the embargo has been lifted and people are allowed to post their videos of it. We've now also know about at least 4 different victory conditions.

For Science Victory, you'll have to:
1. Launch a Satellite
2. Land a human on the moon
3. Establish a Martian colony

For Cultural Victory you have to attract more Tourists to your country than any other civ has domestic Tourists at home.

Domination you just need to kill shit and conquer the capitals as usual.

Last victory condition known so far is the Religious Victory but it's unclear what you need to do to achieve it.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:41 AM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
When you buy stuff in a game monsters doesnt come invading the town usually. The movement isnt there.
So? Attacks shouldn't be dependent on whether or not you're shopping.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC
Old 08-05-2016, 05:34 PM

Elune

I ran into the Capra Demon in Dark Souls.

So far, he does not strike me as particularly Capra-esque.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 08-05-2016, 08:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
I ran into the Capra Demon in Dark Souls.

So far, he does not strike me as particularly Capra-esque.
Heh, have fun with him. He's usually the first boss that gives people a lot of trouble. Its that damn small room and the dogs with him.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Heh, have fun with him. He's usually the first boss that gives people a lot of trouble. Its that damn small room and the dogs with him.
Plus he's relentless!

So far, the monster that's given me the most trouble was the first black knight I encountered, in the Undead Burg. The second black knight I ran into (in the church) was actually quite trivial, however; I guess I figured out his pattern.

The bell gargoyles were tricky, but the asylum and taurus demons were pretty easy for me.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:43 PM

Elune

Quote:
Plus he's relentless!

So far, the monster that's given me the most trouble was the first black knight I encountered, in the Undead Burg. The second black knight I ran into (in the church) was actually quite trivial, however; I guess I figured out his pattern.

The bell gargoyles were tricky, but the asylum and taurus demons were pretty easy for me.
There's that too. If you want a strategy, try getting past him and running up the steps in the back. The dogs are usually faster and if you can dispatch them, that gives you breathing room.

If you don't want a strat, then just ignore the above.

Yeah that black knight, after he kicked my ass the first time, I left him alone for a while (I came back and got some well earned revenge after I got parrying down pat).

Bell gargoyles were what gave me trouble at first too. Oh, if you didn't cut at their tails (it can be hard), it'll fall off and you'll get a weapon (an axe, I think?). That's actually true for a fair number of bosses, too, if memory serves. If it has a tail, try chopping it off.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
There's that too. If you want a strategy, try getting past him and running up the steps in the back. The dogs are usually faster and if you can dispatch them, that gives you breathing room.

If you don't want a strat, then just ignore the above.

Yeah that black knight, after he kicked my ass the first time, I left him alone for a while (I came back and got some well earned revenge after I got parrying down pat).

Bell gargoyles were what gave me trouble at first too. Oh, if you didn't cut at their tails (it can be hard), it'll fall off and you'll get a weapon (an axe, I think?). That's actually true for a fair number of bosses, too, if memory serves. If it has a tail, try chopping it off.
I'm still struggling to parry reliably. Fortunately, polearms make it easier to keep enemies at a distance. Dark Souls is one of the only games I've played where they are actually useful. I'm using an upgraded halberd to great effect.

I did get the gargoyle ax, which I'm keeping as a backup weapon.

Also the Catacombs:

Old 08-05-2016, 11:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
I'm still struggling to parry reliably. Fortunately, polearms make it easier to keep enemies at a distance. Dark Souls is one of the only games I've played where they are actually useful. I'm using an upgraded halberd to great effect.

I did get the gargoyle ax, which I'm keeping as a backup weapon.

Also the Catacombs:
For what its worth, I didn't get used to parrying until about mid-game. There's a mob that's perfect for training on it and there's a bonfire like ten seconds away for when you mess up. You'll likely know it when you see it, but you may find other good locations, that's just mine, heh. One you get used to it you can parry damn near anything (I've never tried on bigger things but I've seen some amazing ones).

Oh, question, did you get the DLC? (Probably did, I think its bundled now) It'll be a while before you can actually access it, but when you do want to, I advise looking up a guide since its a bit obtuse (gotta run back and forth a few times to places first).

Sounds good. Always experiment with shit too, you never know what may click. I was using...I think the black knight great sword (a rare, I think, drop from the black knights) until I found the claymore. The claymore became my best friend, similar moveset but faster (the BKGS is very slow), but I always experimented with what I found. You never know what'll work suddenly!

Oh god, the catacombs...good luck down there!
Old 08-06-2016, 04:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
YOUTUBE
Does it bug anyone else that he's not actually dressed as a skeleton?
Old 08-06-2016, 05:31 AM

Elune

Quote:
Bell Gargoyles are a weird one, but once I figured out it was a DPS check then they were a breeze. Heck, the first one is a breeze until his mate shows up. But I like how cleverly the mechanics work. They're piss easy - and barely a boss at all - if you've had the sense to upgrade your weapons at Andrei, but otherwise? Well, get fucked.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Bell Gargoyles are a weird one, but once I figured out it was a DPS check then they were a breeze. Heck, the first one is a breeze until his mate shows up. But I like how cleverly the mechanics work. They're piss easy - and barely a boss at all - if you've had the sense to upgrade your weapons at Andrei, but otherwise? Well, get fucked.
Yeah its one of those walls you hit where you realize "oh I should upgrade my shit". I learned the hard way, haha.

Somewhat game related by way of Persona, both Lotus Juice (singer for a lot of Persona 3's songs) and Shihoko Hirata (singer for a lot of Persona 4's songs) are both signing autographs at Otakon next week. I'm so hyped!
Old 08-06-2016, 03:23 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah its one of those walls you hit where you realize "oh I should upgrade my shit". I learned the hard way, haha.

Somewhat game related by way of Persona, both Lotus Juice (singer for a lot of Persona 3's songs) and Shihoko Hirata (singer for a lot of Persona 4's songs) are both signing autographs at Otakon next week. I'm so hyped!
I upgraded the physical damage of my halberd, but is didn't yet do DPS. I'm guessing you need fire damage for that? Anyway, I beat the bell gargoyles without it, mostly by moving around a lot.

I have a bad habit in games to stockpile resources like a hoarder. Probably should use some of my stash.

Anyway, I'm now fighting the gaping dragon, and I have a feeling I'll need DPS for this one. That thing has a lot of health.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
I upgraded the physical damage of my halberd, but is didn't yet do DPS. I'm guessing you need fire damage for that? Anyway, I beat the bell gargoyles without it, mostly by moving around a lot.

I have a bad habit in games to stockpile resources like a hoarder. Probably should use some of my stash.

Anyway, I'm now fighting the gaping dragon, and I have a feeling I'll need DPS for this one. That thing has a lot of health.
I have to be honest I kinda forgot a lot of the upgrade stuff for 1, almost everything I remember is from 3 which has some different mechanics. Stay away from crystal weapons though, you can't repair them and they'll break.

Ok just looked it up. Ok I remember now. You can go with fire or lightning (though lightning's a long while off if memory serves), but bear in mind that going with a magical damage enchant removes the scaling it does with dex or strength (to balance it out). Memory serves I think I stuck with just a regular upgraded claymore myself.

Definitely break the habit, upgrade your weapon when you can. Don't worry too much about upgrading armor, though. I mean, you can, but memory serves its not very useful and better used on weapons. An upgraded weapon as far as you can get it is your best friend.

Haha, the gaping dragon, have fun! He's an impressive design. I remember hearing something about it and still wasn't entirely prepared for the giant toothy dragon thing. (Ok kinda surprised that word of all things is censored here)
Old 08-06-2016, 04:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Haha, the gaping dragon, have fun! He's an impressive design. I remember hearing something about it and still wasn't entirely prepared for the giant toothy dragon thing. (Ok kinda surprised that word of all things is censored here)
Yeah, our auto-censor is weird and inconsistent.

Were raptors not kinda iconic, I'm guessing it'd probably be turned off by now, what with our usual stance on free speech. Personally, I want control over it to mess with people.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:19 PM

Eternal

My biggest issue with the upcoming Tales of Berseria has been the main character's design. It's too tryhard edgy, super crowded, and just looks bad.

But today I came across this, art of a younger appearance, how she looks in the first bit of the game before the story really gets started:

Given how many costumes Tales games have, I really hope this is one I can have her wear throughout the game's entirety. I'll even pay DLC for it. I really can't stand her default look.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:53 PM

Elune

I'm not familiar with Tales of Beseria, but I'll agree that the second costume looks a lot better. The first one is, as you say, too busy.

The gaping dragon turned out to not be that hard. I was able to pattern-lock him after a few tries.

Though I think I may have screwed up my character a bit. I'd been raising both strength and dexterity, when I should have just done one. I think I'll stick with dexterity from now on, since I tend to run around a lot during combat.

EDIT: I am perversely impressed that Blighttown manages to look even more disgusting and decrepit than the Depths.

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 08-07-2016 at 12:42 AM..
Old 08-09-2016, 12:25 AM

Elune

Quelaag is giving me a lot of trouble in Dark Souls. I'm thinking I should upgrade my weapon (currently, it's a halberd +4). The big issue is that I'm just not doing enough damage.

My resistance score is 17. I could try to grind and raise that, but I'm apparently already over-leveled for her

Old 08-09-2016, 12:44 AM

Eternal

The spider bitch is pretty easy. Hang close to "front" and only roll to avoid sword attacks and the explosion.

If it's damage you're wanting, get the drake sword. The drake sword will get you through spider bitch, gargoyles, and iron golem pretty easily.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:31 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Quelaag is giving me a lot of trouble in Dark Souls. I'm thinking I should upgrade my weapon (currently, it's a halberd +4). The big issue is that I'm just not doing enough damage.

My resistance score is 17. I could try to grind and raise that, but I'm apparently already over-leveled for her
Your first time playing a Souls game is always the trickiest.

I don't know how active the multiplayer scene is nowadays, but you can always summon another player (or Maneater Mildred).
Old 08-09-2016, 07:20 AM

Eternal

Appears to be Civ 6's equivalent to the Huns.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:45 AM

Elune

Telltale's Batman was good. I liked how it delved into Gotham's politics and the idea that Batman's gadgets are built with blood money.

The weakest points are the voice acting and the music. Troy Baker is a hack and studios should stop hiring him. Not only he sounds bored as fuck but his voice is generic as hell. Troy Baker, Nolan North and Steve Blum: The Unholy Trilogy of shit

Tags
damn cubes, general thread, literally video games, video games, wololo