Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 04:12 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
One of the few reasons I don't think ethereals would work as a playable race. Puns.
I have such fascinating things to show you...

But at least we now know what the female demon model of the Draenei Demon Hunter will look like!
Old 09-14-2017, 04:16 PM

Arch-Druid

After the Void became the big bad with Chronicle I really do think that made ethereals incredibly more likely to be playable someday.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:18 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post

I'm saying that if they wanted to, they can make a female model.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:37 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
Virtual ticket mounts.

Should I be worried? I remember one blizzcon had the golden dragon, then we got Pandaria. Murkidan and the ugly dog mount? We got Legion. The double headed mount from Frostfire Ridge? we got Warlords. Now we got Jaina up front and two faction mounts...
Old 09-14-2017, 05:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Do you have anything better to do with your life than meme?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:17 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temo View Post
Should I be worried? I remember one blizzcon had the golden dragon, then we got Pandaria. Murkidan and the ugly dog mount? We got Legion. The double headed mount from Frostfire Ridge? we got Warlords. Now we got Jaina up front and two faction mounts...
The golden dragon was a store mount, but it did come out close to Blizzcon. The iron skyreaver came out months after WoD had been announced. A better comparison would be the faerie dragon, which came out before WoD's announcement.

Also Murkidan and ugly dog (I assume you mean the felstalker) were revealed after Legion had been announced (but that was because of the weird timing with Gamescom having the announcement).

Also there was the mystic runesaber, which came out with patch 6.1, unrelated to anything in WoD and yet many moths away from Legion's announcement.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:27 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
The golden dragon was a store mount, but it did come out close to Blizzcon. The iron skyreaver came out months after WoD had been announced. A better comparison would be the faerie dragon, which came out before WoD's announcement.

Also Murkidan and ugly dog (I assume you mean the felstalker) were revealed after Legion had been announced (but that was because of the weird timing with Gamescom having the announcement).

Also there was the mystic runesaber, which came out with patch 6.1, unrelated to anything in WoD and yet many moths away from Legion's announcement.
Are you sure about that? I think the Iron Skyreaver came out before WoD reveal.

Wasn't the Grinning Reaver the one that came after the reveal, but still we had no idea what that bug with skull face (actually a mask) was?

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 09-14-2017, 06:32 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Are you sure about that? I think the Iron Skyreaver came out before WoD reveal.

Wasn't the Grinning Reaver the one that came after the reveal, but still we had no idea what that bug with skull face (actually a mask) was?
Iron Skyreaver came out in Jan 2014, WoD was announced in November 2013.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:55 PM

Demon Hunter

I'm all for playable arrakoa when but this is what sparked this conversation -

Pretty sure they're just trying to sell the passenger aspect of it. For people who don't have one of the 3 flying mounts that can carry a passenger. Passenger flying is extremely valuable for things like helping others getting draenor pathfinder, or bonus objective completion + experience potion for super quick 90-100. As far as backdrop locations for highlighting the value of a feature like this, arak is near the top.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:04 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:

I'm saying that if they wanted to, they can make a female model.
I think I'd be ok with Blizz going the ANet route of not adding boobs to everything
Old 09-14-2017, 07:08 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
The Void emphasizing Strength of Mind and fortitude-witht hose fargone falling to madness and insanty.

The Light emphasizing Will and Faith, with those Fargone succumbing to Dogmatic Abandon.
Aren't "Will" and "Strength of Mind" the same thing? I think the point with the Void only telling half-truths leads me to a different dichotomy.

To wield the Light, one must trust in it and have faith. However, trusting the Void is suicide. Putting your faith and trust in it is like diving off a cliff into an ocean of madness. You can't trust Xal'atath or any other whispers in the dark. However, just ignoring them is sometimes equally foolish, since what they have to say can still be worthwhile.

So, I'd say that using the Void requires an open-minded, but also skeptical and discerning nature.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
I think I'd be ok with Blizz going the ANet route of not adding boobs to everything
That picture doesn't have breasts but sure why not.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:03 PM

Demon Hunter

If you're looking for hints about whats coming next, look no further than the new pet Shadow. Its real world counterpart the Fennec fox can be found in the Sahara. "The great desert". The Fennec Fox's name has Arabic origins.

Much of the Ethereals culture seems to be based off of pre-islamic Arabia.

The end of expansion content (the kind that regularly segues into the next expansion) that we're seeing developed for 7.3 is built around Void, Light, and Ethereals.

Hearthstone's latest promotion gives you card backs for Call of the Void and Call of the Light.

Fuck a breather expansion. We're gonna go kick some ethereal ass on some desert planet.

And now to leave you with some wild ideas I had last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sift View Post
Hate to be that guy whos talking about something not on the list but damn do I want an expansion where we take back K'aresh and each zone is a giant city in the desert. Not necessarily ruined cities either, cities that are alive, and dangerous with very little law and order. Quests involving smuggling, being hired as thugs or bandits. We bring in a goblin to be our Khadgar for the expansion, except instead of being some magical god hes there to become a political and economical power to gain resources and allies for the army of light or w/e.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:46 PM

Elune

I doubt that will be the case but guess we'll see.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:54 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Aren't "Will" and "Strength of Mind" the same thing? I think the point with the Void only telling half-truths leads me to a different dichotomy.

To wield the Light, one must trust in it and have faith. However, trusting the Void is suicide. Putting your faith and trust in it is like diving off a cliff into an ocean of madness. You can't trust Xal'atath or any other whispers in the dark. However, just ignoring them is sometimes equally foolish, since what they have to say can still be worthwhile.

So, I'd say that using the Void requires an open-minded, but also skeptical and discerning nature.
That's a nice thought. It compliments well that thing a dev said about the Light being about the feelings that "come from the heart" (love, compassion, respect, happiness), while the Shadow is about feelings that "come from the mind" (fear).

To wield Light, you need faith.
To wield Shadow, you need to be rational.
But both require strong will so you won't lose yourself.

The Light is about oneness with all other beings. It's about tenacity to act, respect towards others, compassion for suffering. "In the Light, we are one", because you understand that, by making the world happier, you become happier, and so on (all these concepts come from the old RPG, but I think they are still valid).

The Shadow is about dissolution. It's turning things in to nothing. It's understanding that everything ends, nothing is eternal.

Go too far towards the Light, and you become selfless.
Go too far towards the Shadow, and you become mad.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 09-14-2017, 09:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
That's a nice thought. It compliments well that thing a dev said about the Light being about the feelings that "come from the heart" (love, compassion, respect, happiness), while the Shadow is about feelings that "come from the mind" (fear).

To wield Light, you need faith.
To wield Shadow, you need to be rational.
But both require strong will so you won't lose yourself.

The Light is about oneness with all other beings. It's about tenacity to act, respect towards others, compassion for suffering. "In the Light, we are one", because you understand that, by making the world happier, you become happier, and so on (all these concepts come from the old RPG, but I think they are still valid).

The Shadow is about dissolution. It's turning things in to nothing. It's understanding that everything ends, nothing is eternal.

Go too far towards the Light, and you become selfless.
Go too far towards the Shadow, and you become mad.
I actually like how the Warcraft RPG handled the contrast between their philosophies. the Cult of Forgotten Shadow had very similar beliefs, but from an almost inverted perspective. It had many of the same virtues, but the explanations were always in terms of personal survival rather than higher minded ideals. The idea of everything being interconnected was there, with their virtue of respect being based on how the will of all shaped reality, but the focus was definitely on the individual. The potential to gain a mastery over the greater whole as an extension of oneself rather than to simply exist harmoniously as a part of that greater whole.

Last edited by Krakhed; 09-14-2017 at 09:47 PM..
Old 09-14-2017, 09:50 PM

Elune

I think we may be reading too much into a fennec fox pet.

We've already got a concrete leak with the kul tiras outfit. I'm not sure we need to squint at every new thing when we've already got an outfit, a region name, and a map.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:10 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Some say that Kul Tiras should bebe based on Spain. Do you know who conquered Spain back in the day? It was those Ethereals!?!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Some say that Kul Tiras should bebe based on Spain. Do you know who conquered Spain back in the day? It was those Ethereals!?!
Damn Ethereal immigrants.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:04 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
I think we may be reading too much into a fennec fox pet.

We've already got a concrete leak with the kul tiras outfit. I'm not sure we need to squint at every new thing when we've already got an outfit, a region name, and a map.
An expansion where Kul Tiras is an entire continent and the villains are ethereals and the Void with fennec foxes and presumably other Arabian influenced things is the exact kind of completely out of the left field expansion types that we've been seeing since MoP. So I don't know...
Old 09-15-2017, 01:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
An expansion where Kul Tiras is an entire continent and the villains are ethereals and the Void with fennec foxes and presumably other Arabian influenced things is the exact kind of completely out of the left field expansion types that we've been seeing since MoP. So I don't know...
MoP was new but had consistent thematics. WoD was a disaster but had consistent thematics. What's consistent about a lost Alliance city, the void, and aliens? Y'all need to pick one, maybe two.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-15-2017, 01:20 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
MoP was new but had consistent thematics. WoD was a disaster but had consistent thematics. What's consistent about a lost Alliance city, the void, and aliens? Y'all need to pick one, maybe two.
Legion had demons, elves, naga, tauren, and vrykul thematics, many of which didn't really intersect with each other.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:33 AM

Banished

Magyos and his war on magic wasn't really connected to the Lich King/Scourge War. Also, Pandaria was largely irrelevant to the Alliance Horde War when you get right down to it.

Last edited by Almed; 09-15-2017 at 02:42 AM..
Old 09-15-2017, 02:50 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Legion had demons, elves, naga, tauren, and vrykul thematics, many of which didn't really intersect with each other.
To play Devil's Advocate the native tribes and species don't really equal the expansion's themes, with some exceptions, obviously, but most expansions gave us a fine mix of native folks plus the enemy. Vrykul, Elves and Tauren might not have too much to do with each other but they're all ancient Azerothian folks that wouldn't be out of place on the Broken Isles... had said isles not been supposed to be on the bottom of the ocean, that is.

Anyone else wanna see an aquatic Tauren offshoot?
Old 09-15-2017, 03:18 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Anyone else wanna see an aquatic Tauren offshoot?
Sea cow people.

There isn't enough manatee/dugong appreciation in modern fantasy, or, well, anywhere, really.

Name:  fat manatee.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  98.1 KB

(Image credit: Wikimedia)

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion