Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:52 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temo View Post
For La Niña, La Pinta y La Santa Maria, the ships Columbus used to "discover" America
But yeah, Kul Tiras using a lot of the Spanish culture would be amazeballs. References to El Quijote de la Mancha, El Cantar del Mio Cid, La Celestina, Windmills everywhere, Flamenco music to ambient the continent, The Ethereals invading the world with a mix of Void energy and bringing tons of Moor/Muslim influences... it would be great, thematically.

But I guess a lot of people would REVOLT to the concept of giving Tirasians any kind of an image and a concept beyond "White People with ships"
First and foremost, I'd love for Kul Tiras to be something aside from just White Europe Kingdom on a Boat, and I think there's a lot of room to potentially do something like that. But Blizzard is constrained by the part where Jaina and her family members that we've met so far match up with that whitebread appearance already.

You're right that people would probably revolt, but I also think there'd be a lot of support for diversifying stuff in the game as well.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:55 PM

Warden

Quote:
For La Niña, La Pinta y La Santa Maria, the ships Columbus used to "discover" America
But yeah, Kul Tiras using a lot of the Spanish culture would be amazeballs. References to El Quijote de la Mancha, El Cantar del Mio Cid, La Celestina, Windmills everywhere, Flamenco music to ambient the continent, The Ethereals invading the world with a mix of Void energy and bringing tons of Moor/Muslim influences... it would be great, thematically.

But I guess a lot of people would REVOLT to the concept of giving Tirasians any kind of an image and a concept beyond "White People with ships"
I agree, though we already have a Quixote reference in Maximilian of Northshire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
First and foremost, I'd love for Kul Tiras to be something aside from just White Europe Kingdom on a Boat, and I think there's a lot of room to potentially do something like that. But Blizzard is constrained by the part where Jaina and her family members that we've met so far match up with that whitebread appearance already.

You're right that people would probably revolt, but I also think there'd be a lot of support for diversifying stuff in the game as well.
They could hand-wave it as Jaina adopting the culture of northern Lordaeron more than her own due to spending the majority of her life in Dalaran and Lordaeron proper. Daelin Proudmoore could be explained as just a case of limited tech and reusing assets during Warcraft III. Overall, Blizzard could just confess that the idea hadn't come up until WoW, and given how much the development team favors retcons, it wouldn't take much to push a more ethnically diverse human kingdoms.

Last edited by Apep; 09-15-2017 at 08:00 PM..
Old 09-15-2017, 09:30 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I would combine the maps of Theramore Isle from Warcraft III, the London Docklands, and the Venetian Arsenal (and the rest of Venice), while probably having some Spanish influences.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:43 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
They are only two characters.

Also, Spaniards are part of Western Europe.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:05 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I would combine the maps of Theramore Isle from Warcraft III, the London Docklands, and the Venetian Arsenal (and the rest of Venice), while probably having some Spanish influences.
So basically, a MEditerranean-Iberic look and feeling for Theramore. It could work
And about the darker skin... I mean, I know penelope Cruz is light dark, but for the most part, Iberic countries are white. Not "I'm Mexican but I consider myself white" White, but actual white.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:08 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

In fact, some are even blonde.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:26 AM

Banished

Quote:
So basically, a MEditerranean-Iberic look and feeling for Theramore. It could work
And about the darker skin... I mean, I know penelope Cruz is light dark, but for the most part, Iberic countries are white. Not "I'm Mexican but I consider myself white" White, but actual white.
There are plenty of latin white-white people. And Penelope Cruz is "light dark"? Americans truly have fucked up perceptions of races.

I think Kul Tiras will be King's Landing, and Jaina it's Cersei. I hope Jaina has an outfit that marries her usual look with something akin to her father clothes and depending of her role, has that OG hint

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 09-16-2017 at 06:43 AM..
Old 09-16-2017, 06:30 AM

Banished

Spaniards who aren't intermarried with North Africans look little different from French to Italians.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:29 AM

Huntress

They could just make it so that Jaina got her looks from her mother which is from House Lannister...err Menethil. That would make her relation with Arthas weirder though, and more Lannister
Old 09-16-2017, 07:57 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenham View Post
They could just make it so that Jaina got her looks from her mother which is from House Lannister...err Menethil. That would make her relation with Arthas weirder though, and more Lannister
Wait Jaina has a mother? I thought it was a virgin-birth type situation with Daelin.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:58 AM

Elune

Bah, why limit yourself to one sea-faring country? Venician canals and gondolas, the pueblos blancos of drisburg, contrasted sharply against the herenhuizen of Boralus, with a massive brick gothic cathedral at its heart, surrounded on every side by a great spice market that stretches into an underground bazaar.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:14 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Quote:
well blizzard loves to plagiarize things.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:44 AM

Sentinel Queen

The datamined armor set reminds me of a lot of one of the drowned men, so I'm half-expecting heavy Pyke and Lordsport influences.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:50 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Why? It's not like Spaniards all have uniform features. There are plenty with lighter hair and eyes. Just significantly less than you'd find in the more northern regions of Europe. The current Princesses of Spain have light hair and eyes.
http://us.hellomagazine.com/imagenes...-letizia-a.jpg
But of course, Jaina would never be able to fit in.

Last edited by Krakhed; 09-16-2017 at 08:55 AM..
Old 09-16-2017, 09:21 AM

Banished

Spain isn't Tacoland (also called Mexico). Spaniards are plenty light.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:33 AM

Arch-Druid

I think the issue is less the appearance of Tirasians we've seen thus far and more their culture. Theramore, Tiragarde Keep, I think Tol Barad? - none of them seem Spanish.

Not that I'm opposed to it, nor would Blizzard hesitate to retcon it, but it would make their few past appearances stand out.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
I thought tacos were an American food, compared to tortillas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:46 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I think the issue is less the appearance of Tirasians we've seen thus far and more their culture. Theramore, Tiragarde Keep, I think Tol Barad? - none of them seem Spanish.

Not that I'm opposed to it, nor would Blizzard hesitate to retcon it, but it would make their few past appearances stand out.
Theramore ain't just Tirasian. Presumably, it was majority Lordaeronian, since that was the area actually being plagued.
Tiragarde seems to be following a general alliance fort naming theme: Nethergarde, wintergarde, valgarde.
Tol Barad was originally Stromgarde.

That said, Boralus, crestfall and Drisburg don't seem very espanol names either. Hence, mix and match!
Old 09-16-2017, 09:59 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
Let's not call Mexico Tacoland, kay?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:01 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Let's not call Mexico Tacoland, kay?
Thank you Nazja

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-16-2017, 10:03 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Why? It's not like Spaniards all have uniform features. There are plenty with lighter hair and eyes. Just significantly less than you'd find in the more northern regions of Europe. The current Princesses of Spain have light hair and eyes.
http://us.hellomagazine.com/imagenes...-letizia-a.jpg
But of course, Jaina would never be able to fit in.
Queen Isabella was also blonde, despite what her appareances in Civilization might lead you to think
Old 09-16-2017, 10:03 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
That said, Boralus, crestfall and Drisburg don't seem very espanol names either. Hence, mix and match!
Boralus and Drisburg are RPG-exclusive, though. They don't exist in canon unless Blizzard decides they want to reuse the names.

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Old 09-16-2017, 10:42 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
Boralus and Drisburg are RPG-exclusive, though. They don't exist in canon unless Blizzard decides they want to reuse the names.
I keep telling him about the rpg for years. Good luck convincing the forum otherwise.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
Queen Isabella was also blonde, despite what her appareances in Civilization might lead you to think
A lot of people for some reason just think all Spanish people look like Hispanics. The peoples in Central and South America are typically darker due to the intermixing with the native peoples. Of course you'd see the same thing in southern Spain to a small extent or in Sicily where peoples intermixed with the Arabs. Hell there's the part that'd piss a lot of nationalist Greeks off when it's mentioned there is very little difference between them and the Turks at this point. Obviously the Royal Families weren't going to be mixing with the invaders.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:03 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
A lot of people for some reason just think all Spanish people look like Hispanics. The peoples in Central and South America are typically darker due to the intermixing with the native peoples. Of course you'd see the same thing in southern Spain to a small extent or in Sicily where peoples intermixed with the Arabs. Hell there's the part that'd piss a lot of nationalist Greeks off when it's mentioned there is very little difference between them and the Turks at this point. Obviously the Royal Families weren't going to be mixing with the invaders.
Well, the Greeks were actually always pretty dark. I've seen the genetic studies and Greeks are mostly just the same Greeks they've always been, and the Sicilians are just heavily mixed with Greeks. Some of that dark color is just native to Southern Europe in the first place.

Edit: Considering that darker color is actually the default state, it's actually the presence of the lighter colors that has to be explained. And lighter colors only became especially prevalent in northern regions, suggesting the reason why they aren't rare in southern regions is due to admixture from Northern Europe.

Last edited by Krakhed; 09-16-2017 at 11:13 AM..
Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion