Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 01-13-2010, 12:24 PM

Eternal

Don't be dense Kerrah.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 AM

Arch-Druid

Well, I suppose now that people have expressed their interest we should start brainstorming plot ideas. I suggest everyone who has one they want to share post it, and then we can start working on finding a consensus. Here's mine to begin with.

Setting: Tirisfal Grove - the as yet undeveloped area reputed to be West of Tirisfal Glades. According to WoWWiki, some people speculate that this is where the High Elves first settled before many of them went mad and they left for safer lands. Others believe this area may be tied to the history of Azeroth's Guardians.

Time: Post-Warcraft III, either shortly before or during the early days of WoW. By setting the RR in a time period most of us are familiar with, I hope it will be more accessible.

Story Hook: To borrow a page from Kerrah's Redrock Isle, sending a group of hired explorers/adventurers/mercenaries to the area ostensibly in search of a fabled treasure (individual characters can have their own, initially secret motivations) seems like an open-ended enough beginning. After arriving at the site and locating the long abandoned and seemingly forgotten ruin, the protagonists can run up against the hidden secrets and dark pasts of either the Highborne or Guardians, demons imprisoned by the Order of Tirisfal, or something Old God-related depending on what direction the RR participants want to take.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Tirsifal Grove? Interesting. I plan on making one "as a zone ideas" (see my signature) for that zone, so I already have some ideas:

Deep underground that zone, there's the prison of an Old God. The adventurers could get to sneak in, perhaps aided by the Old God using them as the tool for his freedom.

In the end, they would free part of the Old God's power, and it would attack them as their reward. The Old God in question is the antithesis of Nozdmormu: and Old God that has power over the "time". Our adventurers would then be sent to a specific alternate age, chose on purpose by the Old God for them to suffer (a past age where they already suffered or a dire future with what they love is dead or destroyed).

Somehow, they would get to contact a bronze dragon, and he would help the adventurers by sending them back to stop themselves, or just repair the damage they did.

It's just a random idea of sorts. The infinites could have a plothole around, too. The time travel factor gives us a lot of possibilities if handed well.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 02-21-2010, 05:14 PM

Mountain Giant

The time has long since come for me to offer my proposal and hope that those who were at first interested still are.

So here's what I came up with.

Castle in the Cloud.

Setting: A fortress nestled in the Alterac Mountains in the present day.

Background: Just as the Second War begins, a group of noble families from the nations surrounding Alterac (and including the same), upon receiving word of the coming Orcish invasion, gather their resources and hastily construct an elaborate fortress on the craggy side of a tall mountain, filling it with supplies- and treasure with which to possibly bribe the Orcs. They proceed to pay a powerful, if eccentric and greedy, wizard who had been expelled from Dalaran to enchant their castle so that it would be impossible to capture. The castle went unmolested thanks to the enchantment, which draped the castle in a cloud, which struck those who entered it with terrible hallucinations. For decades the enchantment remained in place, but in recent months it began to dissipate, fully disappearing only weeks ago. Rumors of great treasures are attracting adventurers of all types, but it is impossible to say what lurks within the castle's walls, or why the wizard's spell ended when it did. A wizard who is still unaccounted for...
Old 02-21-2010, 06:39 PM

Chimaera
Send a message via MSN to Sp00ky

A most interesting outline (Like I told you on MSN) but I would like to add a few ideas of my own, regarding ways though which it can be expanded.

1.The fact that the fortress is placed on a mountain gives in itself a large about of opportunities, such as a vast underground dungeon network (going from the castle’s basement and deep into the mountain – the potential of such a network could be endless, with countless areas to explore)

2.Since the wizard mentioned in the outline had been expelled from the Kirin tor (for reasons that can be explored doing the game) you could add a faction of mage-hunters (from Dalaran) sent to explore not only the nature of the keep, but also to locate and capture the rouge wizard, while terminating any and all who should come into contact with any of the wizards artifacts, parts of his history or even know about his very existence (them seeking to keep such a blight on Dalarans reputation away from the public eye)

3.In relation to factions, one could also add the syndicate (the former nobility of Alterac), who would have an interest in not only obtaining riches which they would consider to be theirs by right, but also to prevent it from falling into the hands of others.

This would confront the players with two hostile and dangerous organizations, both equally poised to keep the players from discovering the secrets of the castle (for different reasons) the two would also be opposed to each other, which could prove to be an advantage for the players, should they seek to exploit this fact.

If we add that the players were sent by Ravenhold, then we would have an epic confrontation by agent of three major powers from the Hillsbrad and Alterac regions.

All the above are only ideas of course, what do you think?

Consorting with the Fallen Ones is heresy!
- Aldaris

Last edited by Sp00ky; 02-21-2010 at 06:45 PM..
Old 02-22-2010, 11:13 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ky View Post
1.The fact that the fortress is placed on a mountain gives in itself a large about of opportunities, such as a vast underground dungeon network (going from the castle’s basement and deep into the mountain – the potential of such a network could be endless, with countless areas to explore)
You know, I hadn't thought of that. I like it. Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ky
2.Since the wizard mentioned in the outline had been expelled from the Kirin tor (for reasons that can be explored doing the game) you could add a faction of mage-hunters (from Dalaran) sent to explore not only the nature of the keep, but also to locate and capture the rouge wizard, while terminating any and all who should come into contact with any of the wizards artifacts, parts of his history or even know about his very existence (them seeking to keep such a blight on Dalarans reputation away from the public eye)
Hmm. Mage hunters you say? Hmm. I think that's workable. I don't know how much lore there is about such assassins, but we can always just fill in the gaps with our collective imaginative powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ky
3.In relation to factions, one could also add the syndicate (the former nobility of Alterac), who would have an interest in not only obtaining riches which they would consider to be theirs by right, but also to prevent it from falling into the hands of others.

Given the way I've set up my proposal, what you recommend is pretty hard to escape. It makes sense, in other words.

This would confront the players with two hostile and dangerous organizations, both equally poised to keep the players from discovering the secrets of the castle (for different reasons) the two would also be opposed to each other, which could prove to be an advantage for the players, should they seek to exploit this fact.

If we add that the players were sent by Ravenhold, then we would have an epic confrontation by agent of three major powers from the Hillsbrad and Alterac regions.
Well, I should clarify that this isn't an RPG, so there aren't any players, but there are protagonists. So, having two sets of antagonists, while perhaps complicating matters, also makes for a more interesting story in the long run. I must stress, however, that it will be a challenge to balance the "screen time" (as it were) dedicated to each faction in play. But I'm up to the challenge.

What does everyone else think?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Sounds cool.

Or, to be a bit more wordy, I think this will succeed so long as we establish stuff well enough and get people who know what they're doing.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:35 AM

Mountain Giant

Is there anyone still interested in doing this? Please post if you are.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

I say let's robin the round.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:00 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Count me in, though I'll likely be a rare contributor.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.