Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Inquisitor Inquisitor is offline

Mountain Giant
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 225

Default Thoughts about the Lich King's fate

Well, I've been thinking about what lore Blizzard will use to set up Arthas's defeat. We all know it will happen, per Metzen's words. Of course, the likely scenario is some kind of war, so that in and of itself doesn't require much contemplation. But what of afterwards? I suspect that, if Blizzard desires to keep the Lich King around in some shape or form (for whatever reason), they have a very simple way of doing so. I fear that Blizzard might do a sort of Diablo redux, where we saw the hero take on Diablo's soulstone. Except in this case, the hero would take on the helm and sword of the Lich King without knowing what will happen. It is not possible for anyone on Azeroth to know that the Lich King's spirit can reside in those things. The only trouble with this theory is that it is not clear how much the Lich King's soul is bound to Arthas's body.

Also, I accept the very real possibility that they'll just kill the Lich King off, but you never know.

Oh, and have a merry Christmas everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Kenzuki Kenzuki is offline

Loremaster
Kenzuki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Gates of Twilight
Posts: 9,954

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor
Well, I've been thinking about what lore Blizzard will use to set up Arthas's defeat. We all know it will happen, per Metzen's words. Of course, the likely scenario is some kind of war, so that in and of itself doesn't require much contemplation. But what of afterwards? I suspect that, if Blizzard desires to keep the Lich King around in some shape or form (for whatever reason), they have a very simple way of doing so. I fear that Blizzard might do a sort of Diablo redux, where we saw the hero take on Diablo's soulstone. Except in this case, the hero would take on the helm and sword of the Lich King without knowing what will happen. It is not possible for anyone on Azeroth to know that the Lich King's spirit can reside in those things. The only trouble with this theory is that it is not clear how much the Lich King's soul is bound to Arthas's body.

Also, I accept the very real possibility that they'll just kill the Lich King off, but you never know.

Oh, and have a merry Christmas everyone.
Well considering that if the Lich King does possess someone else, Arthas will still survive. Because now he IS the Lich King, the body no longer matters.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Inquisitor Inquisitor is offline

Mountain Giant
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 225

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki
Well considering that if the Lich King does possess someone else, Arthas will still survive. Because now he IS the Lich King, the body no longer matters.
Well yes of course. If I at all implied doubt in the fact that Arthas is the Lich King, then I apologize. What I am interested in knowing is how plausible my theory is.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Kenzuki Kenzuki is offline

Loremaster
Kenzuki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Gates of Twilight
Posts: 9,954

Default

so which one of the 40-man raid get's to be the New Lich King???

"Bob the Lich King has arrived!"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Yuber8900 Yuber8900 is offline

Site Staff - Moderator
Yuber8900's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,660

Default

Paladins only screw the Horde!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Kenzuki Kenzuki is offline

Loremaster
Kenzuki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Gates of Twilight
Posts: 9,954

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor
Well yes of course. If I at all implied doubt in the fact that Arthas is the Lich King, then I apologize. What I am interested in knowing is how plausible my theory is.

"We may never know Uther, I intend to live forever." - Arthas, The New and Immortal Lich King.

You know....now that the Lich King is an Eternal, and Cenarius isn't quite dead himself. It begs to ask, can you truly kill an Eternal???
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-25-2005, 08:39 PM
Ravenclaw2099 Ravenclaw2099 is offline

Demon Hunter
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 415

Default

Cenarius isn't dead? I thought Grom killed him in in the battle of Ashenvale. Unles his spirit resides in the Emarald dream...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-26-2005, 06:33 AM
Kenzuki Kenzuki is offline

Loremaster
Kenzuki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Gates of Twilight
Posts: 9,954

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenclaw2099
Cenarius isn't dead? I thought Grom killed him in in the battle of Ashenvale. Unles his spirit resides in the Emarald dream...
Grom did indeed slay his physicaly form, but his spirit is in the emerald Dream fighting alongside Furion.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MD, U.S.
Posts: 11,127
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

I find it interesting that our final mission in WoW (before we move into the Burning Crusade) is to invade Naxxramas. Kel'thuzad of all people would know that the destruction of the Lich Kings armor (along with Arthas of course) would bring about his true end.

If we're to take on one of the Scourge's most powerful generals (or lieutenants...or whatever his rank may be), it seems to me that it won't just be for the Book of Medivh. In fact, why would the Alliance wish to reach Draenor (in TBC) except to find artifacts that might truly destroy the Lich King's spirit. The same may be said for Kharazan and many of the other areas that will open up in the expansion; they all lead to the collection of something to defeat a great foe.

Now this foe may not be the Lich King, but I've no doubt that we aren't going for the sake of just any race when we open up a portal into a literal hell.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Inquisitor Inquisitor is offline

Mountain Giant
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 225

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki
so which one of the 40-man raid get's to be the New Lich King???

"Bob the Lich King has arrived!"
Well, in Diablo, the hero who defeated the Lord of Terror is Tristram remained nameless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus
I find it interesting that our final mission in WoW (before we move into the Burning Crusade) is to invade Naxxramas. Kel'thuzad of all people would know that the destruction of the Lich Kings armor (along with Arthas of course) would bring about his true end.

If we're to take on one of the Scourge's most powerful generals (or lieutenants...or whatever his rank may be), it seems to me that it won't just be for the Book of Medivh. In fact, why would the Alliance wish to reach Draenor (in TBC) except to find artifacts that might truly destroy the Lich King's spirit. The same may be said for Kharazan and many of the other areas that will open up in the expansion; they all lead to the collection of something to defeat a great foe.

Now this foe may not be the Lich King, but I've no doubt that we aren't going for the sake of just any race when we open up a portal into a literal hell.
You make an interesting point. It's too early to tell what exactly the reason is behind the Alliance going into Draenor- my guess is to defeat the Legion. However, against your point about it being about getting an artifact to truly destroy the Lich King, I offer this: no one except the Lich King and Kil'Jaedon know that his spirit resides in the armor. And you cannot really destroy a spirit. There are ghosts of average people in WarCraft, indicating that souls are immortal.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Kenzuki Kenzuki is offline

Loremaster
Kenzuki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Gates of Twilight
Posts: 9,954

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor
Well, in Diablo, the hero who defeated the Lord of Terror is Tristram remained nameless.



You make an interesting point. It's too early to tell what exactly the reason is behind the Alliance going into Draenor- my guess is to defeat the Legion. However, against your point about it being about getting an artifact to truly destroy the Lich King, I offer this: no one except the Lich King and Kil'Jaedon know that his spirit resides in the armor. And you cannot really destroy a spirit. There are ghosts of average people in WarCraft, indicating that souls are immortal.
Your theory is flawed, the spirit of the Lich King is not in the armor. It is in the body of Arthas.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Inquisitor Inquisitor is offline

Mountain Giant
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 225

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki
Your theory is flawed, the spirit of the Lich King is not in the armor. It is in the body of Arthas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor
The only trouble with this theory is that it is not clear how much the Lich King's soul is bound to Arthas's body.
So, yeah, I recognize that problem. It is true that Arthas and Ner'zhul are one- their souls are combined and all that- but that does not mean that the Lich King's spirit cannot retreat into the armor, or that the armor has no power. I am somewhat reminded of Sauron and the ring of power.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Kenzuki Kenzuki is offline

Loremaster
Kenzuki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Gates of Twilight
Posts: 9,954

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor
So, yeah, I recognize that problem. It is true that Arthas and Ner'zhul are one- their souls are combined and all that- but that does not mean that the Lich King's spirit cannot retreat into the armor, or that the armor has no power. I am somewhat reminded of Sauron and the ring of power.
The soul is now one with the body, that's what Ner'zhul wanted all along. He wanted a body, and now along with the soul of Arthas, they have a body. The power is not in the stupid helm or whatever, it is the soul and body, as one!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MD, U.S.
Posts: 11,127
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

While I do know that the armor no longer holds the spirit of Ner'zhul, it seems to me that such powerful armor would not at least be able to take back the souls which formerly resided within it. Again, the idea of soul stone from diablo comes into play. When near defeat, the Lich King may be able to sacrifice his body and once again reside within the armor that held him, waiting for another to come and take up the helm restarting the cycle of events.

Of course it could just be the armor is a remnant of the Lich King's power in that form, and is worn for no other reason than as a reminder of where he came from.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,392

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus
While I do know that the armor no longer holds the spirit of Ner'zhul, it seems to me that such powerful armor would not at least be able to take back the souls which formerly resided within it. Again, the idea of soul stone from diablo comes into play. When near defeat, the Lich King may be able to sacrifice his body and once again reside within the armor that held him, waiting for another to come and take up the helm restarting the cycle of events.

Of course it could just be the armor is a remnant of the Lich King's power in that form, and is worn for no other reason than as a reminder of where he came from.
Or because both Ner'zhul and Arthas decided it looks cool. 8D
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Kenzuki Kenzuki is offline

Loremaster
Kenzuki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Gates of Twilight
Posts: 9,954

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas
Or because both Ner'zhul and Arthas decided it looks cool. 8D

The Plate of the Damned is worn because it makes the wearer nearly invincible. The Helm of Domination is worn because of the powerful enchantments placed upon it. And Frostmourne is wielded because it can unleash large amounts of STFUN00blearn2play on normal mortals, and it looks cool
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MD, U.S.
Posts: 11,127
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki
The Plate of the Damned is worn because it makes the wearer nearly invincible. The Helm of Domination is worn because of the powerful enchantments placed upon it. And Frostmourne is wielded because it can unleash large amounts of STFUN00blearn2play on normal mortals, and it looks cool
Well, you can't argue with STFUN00blearn2play weapons and armor.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Yuber8900 Yuber8900 is offline

Site Staff - Moderator
Yuber8900's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,660

Default

Soul sucking is cool!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Inquisitor Inquisitor is offline

Mountain Giant
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 225

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki
The soul is now one with the body, that's what Ner'zhul wanted all along. He wanted a body, and now along with the soul of Arthas, they have a body. The power is not in the stupid helm or whatever, it is the soul and body, as one!
Hmm. Well, it seems that you have a much greater handle on the specifics (what the armor's traits are) than I. So I cannot help but want to concede the point to you. Nevertheless, I was simply thinking of ways in which Blizz could preserve the Lich King for later if they so desired. But now it appears more likely that they'd just have his spirit endure.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Kenzuki Kenzuki is offline

Loremaster
Kenzuki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Gates of Twilight
Posts: 9,954

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor
Hmm. Well, it seems that you have a much greater handle on the specifics (what the armor's traits are) than I. So I cannot help but want to concede the point to you. Nevertheless, I was simply thinking of ways in which Blizz could preserve the Lich King for later if they so desired. But now it appears more likely that they'd just have his spirit endure.
Or not have him killed at all.......
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-29-2005, 05:27 PM
Inquisitor Inquisitor is offline

Mountain Giant
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 225

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki
Or not have him killed at all.......
I wish he weren't on the chopping block, but Blizz needs more raid content.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Kenzuki Kenzuki is offline

Loremaster
Kenzuki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Gates of Twilight
Posts: 9,954

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor
I wish he weren't on the chopping block, but Blizz needs more raid content.
What if instead of being destroyed, he was imprisoned within Icecrown.....that is until Warcraft IV.....*grins*
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,392

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

I say they should take the RPG route of having a battle you can't win. Ya know what I mean? For example, make the Lich King ungodly powerful, and when you raid him, he has a health bar, but when it gets to a certain point (25%, 10%, whatever), he does a massive AoE spell and just kills you all. Then, your raid group is hearthed somewhere else where whoever gave you the main quest to kill Arthas says they found you unconscious somewhere. I'm not entirely sure how loot could be done, though.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Kenzuki Kenzuki is offline

Loremaster
Kenzuki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Gates of Twilight
Posts: 9,954

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas
I say they should take the RPG route of having a battle you can't win. Ya know what I mean? For example, make the Lich King ungodly powerful, and when you raid him, he has a health bar, but when it gets to a certain point (25%, 10%, whatever), he does a massive AoE spell and just kills you all. Then, your raid group is hearthed somewhere else where whoever gave you the main quest to kill Arthas says they found you unconscious somewhere. I'm not entirely sure how loot could be done, though.
He despawns at 20% and says "It's not my time."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MD, U.S.
Posts: 11,127
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Crap, not that again...
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.