Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Mountain Giant

Default Round Robin Interest Thread

Greetings. I was wondering if any of the authors here would care to join me in a round robin story writing exercise. For those unfamiliar, it entails a few different authors taking turns writing a story.

So, is there any interest in doing this?
Old 01-09-2010, 03:19 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

I'm a bit creatively busy with the two forum RPGs as well as my attempts of continuing Faith, but I'd sure love to co-author with you.

In other words, count me in.

edit: May depend on the subject, though. I'm not 100% certain.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:50 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I may try.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:57 PM

Mountain Giant

Well, what subject matter would most interest you guys?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

That's a pretty broad question to ask. For something round robin, it's probably easier to do a less intense/serious subject matter. Also, we've got a trial version going in this forum on Garithos if you'd like to join in, it's the Brian of G thread.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:17 AM

Eternal

Im all in, yet if you feature a draeneredar there will be many, many accidents
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:06 AM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck View Post
Im all in, yet if you feature a draeneredar there will be many, many accidents
I love you Mark.

For the record, I am vaguely interested, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to write much at the moment, and certainly not before Thursday.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC
Old 01-10-2010, 06:28 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
That's a pretty broad question to ask. For something round robin, it's probably easier to do a less intense/serious subject matter. Also, we've got a trial version going in this forum on Garithos if you'd like to join in, it's the Brian of G thread.
I suppose it was a broad question. I have a story concept in mind if you guys are willing to hear it. But if a more democratic solution is preferred, we can always take that route.

As for the seriousness, I have to admit that I don't write comedies. Of course if the majority wanted to write something less serious than I had in mind, that would be fine too.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:35 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor View Post
I suppose it was a broad question. I have a story concept in mind if you guys are willing to hear it. But if a more democratic solution is preferred, we can always take that route.

As for the seriousness, I have to admit that I don't write comedies. Of course if the majority wanted to write something less serious than I had in mind, that would be fine too.
It's not that people enjoy comedies any more than drama, a little more forgiving when you play around with things, especially other people's characters.

In any case I'll try and join whatever's going on if time allows.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:19 AM

Elune

The thing is, I haven't played WoW for a long time and if this will be about the newest ongoing of whatever the hell Blizzard has thought up, I won't be capable of participating.

Let's hear what you have in mind, though, Inq.

Last edited by Kerrah; 01-10-2010 at 07:21 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah View Post
The thing is, I haven't played WoW for a long time and if this will be about the newest ongoing of whatever the hell Blizzard has thought up, I won't be capable of participating.

Let's hear what you have in mind, though, Inq.
Well, I have the same problem you do, Kerrah, in that I don't play WoW. So here is what I was thinking to solve that problem.

What I propose is that we create a dungeon from scratch, complete with its own backstory and relationship to the wider WarCraft universe and then send a party of adventurers into it. Right now I have only begun to brainstorm the where, the who, the how, and the why of the dungeon, but luckily I have you guys to help me out.

It could be anything as simple as a rogue wizard inhabiting a tower or as harrowing as the Burning Legion occupying a heavily fortified stronghold. I figured that I would at least broach the subject with you guys before going ahead and putting together a fully developed plan (and risking having to scrap it).
Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 AM

Eternal

The when could also be very important. Having it set in the past or future opens up some interesting possibilities.
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
Old 01-10-2010, 11:19 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy View Post
The when could also be very important. Having it set in the past or future opens up some interesting possibilities.
An excellent point, and one I had not previously considered. I guess we'll see if my very broad idea is met with approval or not, and then we can go from there.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Elune

Quote:
Well, I have the same problem you do, Kerrah, in that I don't play WoW. So here is what I was thinking to solve that problem.

What I propose is that we create a dungeon from scratch, complete with its own backstory and relationship to the wider WarCraft universe and then send a party of adventurers into it. Right now I have only begun to brainstorm the where, the who, the how, and the why of the dungeon, but luckily I have you guys to help me out.

It could be anything as simple as a rogue wizard inhabiting a tower or as harrowing as the Burning Legion occupying a heavily fortified stronghold. I figured that I would at least broach the subject with you guys before going ahead and putting together a fully developed plan (and risking having to scrap it).
That sounds cool. You can most probably count me in.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Revenant - Moderator

The creation of a fictional instance dungeon has merit. I have seen it done before, but rarely well. We shall see the caliber of the writers here.

But be warned. If it is a generic topic, some may try to impose their pre-written and shamelessly advertised ideas on the whole.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:51 PM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
The creation of a fictional instance dungeon has merit. I have seen it done before, but rarely well. We shall see the caliber of the writers here.

But be warned. If it is a generic topic, some may try to impose their pre-written and shamelessly advertised ideas on the whole.
Well, I was thinking we would establish a list of authors participating, start brainstorming via private messaging with regards to characters and plot, and possibly establish major plot points. That way we can avoid one person in the first chapter making all the key foundational decisions.

But if the group is opposed to that much planning and coordination, then we can just shoot from the hip.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Well, I was thinking we would establish a list of authors participating, start brainstorming via private messaging with regards to characters and plot, and possibly establish major plot points. That way we can avoid one person in the first chapter making all the key foundational decisions.

But if the group is opposed to that much planning and coordination, then we can just shoot from the hip.
I prefer at least a little planning, just so things don't go in an absolutely crazy/derivative direction.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Eternal

Alliance and Horde get each their separate dungeon raid parties?
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
instance dungeon
MMORPG game mechanics don't apply to written stories, you know.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:55 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
MMORPG game mechanics don't apply to written stories, you know.
Oh, come on! Place. Whatever.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
I prefer at least a little planning, just so things don't go in an absolutely crazy/derivative direction.
So perhaps only the setting, the time period in which it takes place, and the main characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck
Alliance and Horde get each their separate dungeon raid parties?
Hmm. I would suppose they would have separate raid parties.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Hmm. I would suppose they would have separate raid parties.
Let's not limit ourselves to strictly Alliance and Horde just yet, though depending on the number of participants it could make sense to have two adventuring parties simultaneously enter the dungeon from two separate openings, each unaware of the other but unknowingly helping each other by dividing the dungeon defenders' efforts.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 AM

Elune

I'm myself opposed to the idea of having "horde parties" or "alliance parties". Even if we go with one adventuring group, I'd prefer it to be mixed. Life isn't that black and white.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I'm myself opposed to the idea of having "horde parties" or "alliance parties". Even if we go with one adventuring group, I'd prefer it to be mixed. Life isn't that black and white.
Who say's we even have to be Horde or Alliance. We could be, I don't know, Draenei Broken (or whatever Akama is), the Illidari, cultists (Cult of the Damned, Burning Legion, Old Gods), Pandarens, Naga, a troll party led by Zul'jin... The possibilities are endless.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:31 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy View Post
Draenei Broken (or whatever Akama is)
Akama is a Draenei. Period.