Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2017, 04:56 PM

Elune

It's an interesting match-up. The borg don't get too much of an advantage out of assimilating the zerg, as the zerg advantages come from numbers and biology (and an assimilated zergling would be pretty pathetic). However, the zerg don't get much out of infesting the borg either, as all the borg advantages come from their technology rather than biology (and an infested drone would probably be significantly less impressive than an infested terran). That means that neither race gets the advantage they'd usually get.

It really depends how their matchup occurs.

Let's assume the Koprulu Sector lies somewhere within the star trek galaxy. In this scenario, the borg would probably win, simply out of strength of numbers.

Let's assume that the borg and zerg would get transported into a neutral galaxy (one with sufficient amounts of infestable/assimilatable subjects) in equal strength. This is a tough situation. The zerg would probably spread faster, but the borg have their ships, which are far beyond anything in the starcraft universe. The borg would probably have the early advantage, but depending on how many zerg and borg each side brings, I could see the zerg overwhelming the borg through sheer numbers in time, as the borg run out of convenient drone sources (the zerg have ridiculously quick natural reproduction, while the borg do not). Whether Kerrigan or the Overmind serves as the Hiveheart would serve better depends on a lot of factors, mainly the question of whether star trek psychic species would be capable of killing cerebrates and the overmind. If so, having an Overmind would result in easy victory for the Borg, while Kerrigan would be far more dangerous (due to being mobile).

Let's assume the borg assimilate an experimental fanfic device, and end up in the koprulu sector with a small number of cubes. Now the question depends on whether the borg can work with protoss psychic-powered devices. If so, the zerg are utterly screwed, as ground warfare in the starcraft universe is much more advanced than in the star trek universe. The borg with protoss technology would lose pretty much all weaknesses. Even without that, assimilating something as simple as terran space marine armor would be pretty bad.

Author of the Pink Engine.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:00 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I'm pretty sure the Zerg originally spanned more than the Koprulu sector, and only arrived recently to track down Kerrigan, and then sort of stumbled upon Aiur due to Dark Templar shenanigans. I don't think the Borg would have the numerical advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:11 PM

World Builder

Gonna gave to go with Zerg as well, the borg are just too dang inflexible despite rapid technological assimilation and adaptation

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-19-2017, 05:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I'm pretty sure the Zerg originally spanned more than the Koprulu sector, and only arrived recently to track down Kerrigan, and then sort of stumbled upon Aiur due to Dark Templar shenanigans. I don't think the Borg would have the numerical advantage.
It's a matter of the scope between the two settings. Even if the Zerg spanned more than the Koprulu sector originally, they weren't big enough in numbers to render the entire conflict pointless. The various in-universe portrayals show that the koprulu sector isn't exactly all that extensive as far as population centers go (which would make sense. There's only two major species, one of whom arrived only recently, the other of whom has a strong religious connection to its homeworld)

Meanwhile, the Borg are the dominant force in the delta quadrant, and their 'nation' is spread over several tens of thousands of light years, across which which they encountered and assimilated thousands of races.

Basically, if the zerg were within an order of greatness of the borg's numbers, there would be no story to starcraft.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Gonna gave to go with Zerg as well, the borg are just too dang inflexible despite rapid technological assimilation and adaptation
Irrelevant. The Zerg's biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to the Borg's.
Member #14
Old 04-19-2017, 05:23 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Borg strategy seems to be more deliberate, whereas the Zerg philosophy is to 'fail fast, fail often.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
It's a matter of the scope between the two settings. Even if the Zerg spanned more than the Koprulu sector originally, they weren't big enough in numbers to render the entire conflict pointless. The various in-universe portrayals show that the koprulu sector isn't exactly all that extensive as far as population centers go (which would make sense. There's only two major species, one of whom arrived only recently, the other of whom has a strong religious connection to its homeworld)

Meanwhile, the Borg are the dominant force in the delta quadrant, and their 'nation' is spread over several tens of thousands of light years, across which which they encountered and assimilated thousands of races.

Basically, if the zerg were within an order of greatness of the borg's numbers, there would be no story to starcraft.
Fair point. I guess it does just come down to whether the Borg are able to harness psionic energy. If they don't, they can't stop the Overmind and their defeat is only a matter of time, although psi disruptors could still play hell with the Zerg's campaign.

Ultimately, though, I think you're right that neither would gain anything by assimilating the other.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-19-2017, 05:28 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Fair point. I guess it does just come down to whether the Borg are able to harness psionic energy. If they don't, they can't stop the Overmind and their defeat is only a matter of time, although psi disruptors could still play hell with the Zerg's campaign.

Ultimately, though, I think you're right that neither would gain anything by assimilating the other.
In STO, they figure out how to assimilate Undine (Species 8472).

Plenty of psionic power there.
Member #14
Old 04-19-2017, 05:41 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
On further consideration, if we actually try to answer K's original question:

Quote:
Who would assimilate whom?
Whereby it's assumed that they are not trying to eradicate, but rather to assimilate each other, I think the answer has to be the Zerg. Even if either side wanted to assimilate the other, I figure it would be impossible for the Borg to find any kind of foothold. The Zerg are just too volatile, too unstable, for a machine to latch onto them as a whole. And remember, the Borg would need to assimilate an entire swarm, while the Zerg only need to assimilate a single individual of each species they encounter before they can start mass-producing a clone strain.

If that's still not good enough, I think I'm gonna fall back on the old "Your stupid setting is horribly designed and generally OP" excuse. Overmind for life.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Elune

Kinda random but your discussion made me realize the aliens from Edge of Tomorrow are basically zerg with protoss time travel capabilities, even some hybrid aesthetics. Maybe they are the evolution of Overmind's zerg had he succeeded
Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
In STO, they figure out how to assimilate Undine (Species 8472).

Plenty of psionic power there.
That thing looks awesome.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Kinda random but your discussion made me realize the aliens from Edge of Tomorrow are basically zerg with protoss time travel capabilities, even some hybrid aesthetics. Maybe they are the evolution of Overmind's zerg had he succeeded
Hmn, I dunno, Abathur would have a heart attack if the ability to remember across timelines slipped through as a flaw.

Next up, who wants to see the Decepticons fight something / someone? Let's do another villain faction.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-07-2017, 07:04 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Shadow Orb

Apep versus Typhon
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-07-2017, 07:19 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Apep versus Typhon
Hmm, hard to say. Typhon is apparently larger based on the stories, but some of them have Zeus beating him easily despite his strength and size.

Apep is apparently only about 16 yards, but he regens every day and Ra has priests and rituals from his followers strengthening him and weakening Apep.

Some stories have Gaia help Zeus while other stories have Set help Ra.

I'm leaning towards Typhon, because if Ra can beat Apep everyday, he probably can too.

My Worldbuilding:

Tags
silly nonsense, survey, who would win?