Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
In a genre dominated by dwarves who existed in a state of perpetual decay with their glory days long behind them, made relevent only by their association with humans and lacking even the mystery and dignity of the elves Ironforge bucked that trend. Here you had a dwarven nation that was at the dawn of a cultural renaissance due to the reconnection with their mythic origins. Far from decaying, here you had a culture of adventurers and scholars closer to unraveling the nature of Azeroth than any other mortal race. Far from being petty sidekicks of humanity, here you had an Ironforge that stood firm as the stable bedrock of the Alliance as the humans, elves, and gnomes reeled from the ravages of the third war. Ironforge was, in the only example in fantasy that I can recall, and example of dwarves ascendant.
One thing I think is really cool, is that the Dwarves and Gnomes are younger races than the Humans. I don't know why it feels so huge. But as I stomp around in a Dwarven Stone Form, I feel my character is fresh and barely separated from his titannic origins, unlike the "elder races" like Humans and Elves.

The race is on the verge of a unity that preserves their individual distinction. There is a babe in a cradle who promises to grow into an Emperor; and, though I hate the High King title, the sheer potential of a dwarven royal to become high king over even the Human nations is a little bit exciting. It makes me feel like a hypocrite, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't there.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:07 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Quote:
In a genre dominated by dwarves who existed in a state of perpetual decay with their glory days long behind them, made relevent only by their association with humans and lacking even the mystery and dignity of the elves Ironforge bucked that trend. Here you had a dwarven nation that was at the dawn of a cultural renaissance due to the reconnection with their mythic origins. Far from decaying, here you had a culture of adventurers and scholars closer to unraveling the nature of Azeroth than any other mortal race. Far from being petty sidekicks of humanity, here you had an Ironforge that stood firm as the stable bedrock of the Alliance as the humans, elves, and gnomes reeled from the ravages of the third war. Ironforge was, in the only example in fantasy that I can recall, and example of dwarves ascendant.
Heh, would be nice if that was played out more in game as opposed to being drunken sidekicks.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:03 PM

Demon Hunter

I love dwarves almost as much as I do gnomes. Sadly, WoW's variations of dwarves are typically less interesting than that of other fantasy franchises (Blizzard goes overboard on the drunkenness angle, which is a shame because they have so much potential with the Titan ancestry thing and feuding clans).

That being said, dwarves are by far my most anticipated race for the new models that are coming along and it would probably be the only thing Blizzard can do now that would convince me to renew my subscription. Hell, if the new models are really good I'd even be convinced to race change a few of my toons into dwarves, too!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:21 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

So much lost greatness because of blizzard's focus on humans versus orcs. The Alliance should have been built around Ironforge, not stormwind. Stormwind should have been a lot weaker, still in the process of being restored to former strength and being burdened by massive influx of human refugees.
Human presence north of Thandol ,except for the scarlet crusade, could have been explained as refugees returning after the Legions defeat at Hyjal, only made possible because the dwarves held back the Scourge and Legion at Thandol. It would explain how Stromgarde fell etc.
A man can dream of lost opportunities.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:31 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

If ye ask me, whenever the devs decide to give us "sub-race" skins, we need stone/metal skins for the titanic races. (And those races should also focus more on their heritage. Especially the dwarves. Sure, we have Brann and a few camps of archaeologists, but besides in the Stormpeaks, when as anything they've done ever been shown as relevant? Most of the time we don't even get told what they've unearthed.)
Old 10-07-2013, 03:22 PM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
So much lost greatness because of blizzard's focus on humans versus orcs. The Alliance should have been built around Ironforge, not stormwind. Stormwind should have been a lot weaker, still in the process of being restored to former strength and being burdened by massive influx of human refugees..
I don't think the idea of it focusing on SW was inherently bad. It was portrayed as being this last bastion of Humanity Kingdom which could have easily meant including Humans from a manner of the fallen or other Kingdoms.
Heck SW is portrayed as an almost idyllic Human Kingdom however I doubt many of the other Humans would see this.

While I'm not advocating that Humans and pals plot should continue or should have ever happened, if the other Kingdoms had been involved then the palette they could work with wouldn't be so bland.
They appear to be trying to pull this off to some extent within the Dwarves where you effectively have a faction within a faction.

Admittedly with the Dwarves I want to see a little more Bronzebeards as they seem to have fallen out of favour lately for Dark Irons.

Last edited by Sanctus; 10-07-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Old 10-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Drunk Assassin

Focusing on Stormwind is not the problem at all, as far as I am concerned, what is the problem is Stormwind being shoe-horned into the position it is (Most powerful nation).

You could easily cultivate a very heart-warming image of, despite Stormwind being weak in terms of national strength, it still finds its much stronger allies supporting it instead of abandoning it to the wolves. Like, I don't know, an alliance?

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/4kNIpy4sJGQ/h...jpg?feature=og

Like that.

People would complain about Stormwind always needing help? Not really. That wouldn't be a problem if you point out that any normal nation would have folded in on itself with as a result of everything that has befallen it, but what makes Stormwind special is that it -hasn't- folded and it -still- stands.

Not that it stands as the most powerful nation, but that it simply stands despite everything.

To beat the old drums again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXajx7l4VxE

Last edited by Thunderbraid; 10-07-2013 at 04:59 PM..
Old 10-22-2013, 11:43 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Is this a good song for Dwarves?

Old 10-23-2013, 06:10 AM

Drunk Assassin

Not particularly, but it works!

I like this the most.

A dwarven army marching through the Wetlands, heading to the Thandol Span, to the aid of Stromgarde/fight the Forsaken.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:24 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Is this a good song for Dwarves?
It's more about the trolls.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
It's more about the trolls.
Why is that?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:33 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Why is that?
Per the story of "Peer Gynt".

Here's the part where the Mountain King's trolls catch the hero and he has to fight for his life.

(you can hear the same leitmotif during the fights - it's practically the theme of the mountain creatures)
Old 10-26-2013, 10:45 AM

Elune

Damn.

Well I'm sure there are plenty of metal songs that relate to Dwarves on some level.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:10 PM

Drunk Assassin

Continuing my shameless "All chanting music now applies to dwarves in WoW since Ulduar Antechamber became their theme"

soon damnit. when dagran II is of age
Old 10-26-2013, 07:59 PM

Echo of the Past

Did we ever figure out why the concept of High King Varian or High King Anduin of the Alliance makes me vomit, but the concept of High King Dagran of the Alliance makes me tingle with excitement?

It makes me feel dirty, hypocritical, and stupidly wrong. But I can't shake it. Dwarf bias?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Did we ever figure out why the concept of High King Varian or High King Anduin of the Alliance makes me vomit, but the concept of High King Dagran of the Alliance makes me tingle with excitement?

It makes me feel dirty, hypocritical, and stupidly wrong. But I can't shake it. Dwarf bias?
Because Dwarves actually had a High King before I reckon?

Also who do you think would make a good SAC if High King never happened? I think it should be a Human Paladin character for iconography personally. (Wouldn't object to a Dwarf either though, Dwarf and Human are very iconic.)
Old 10-26-2013, 08:02 PM

The Digger

Quote:

Because the Varian/Anduin/Stormwind thing is entirely based on Blizzard taking refuge in the fantasy cliche of human supremacy, and has proven detrimental not only to the non-human races of the Alliance, but also to the human nations as well. Dagran would, in theory, leave the three clans distinct, and be far less likely to act as a black hole of the plot upon the rest of the Alliance.

That's just a guess though.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
Because the Varian/Anduin/Stormwind thing is entirely based on Blizzard taking refuge in the fantasy cliche of human supremacy, and has proven detrimental not only to the non-human races of the Alliance, but also to the human nations as well. Dagran would, in theory, leave the three clans distinct, and be far less likely to act as a black hole of the plot upon the rest of the Alliance.

That's just a guess though.
It's also because Dagran has potential to grow into a character who isn't a wimp with the personality depth of a sack of potatoes.

Also because he's a Dwarf, Dwarves and wimps are not synonymous.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:09 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:

It only counts as homogenization if it's making everything boring.

Putting a Dwarven Emperor at the top of the ladder doesn't make things boring, it makes things interesting and new and creative. People don't do ascendant Dwarven races in fiction for whatever bizarre reason, which means the playing field is wide open. It's not boring and stupid and painful because if we had a Dwarven Emperor, you can bet your ass the other Alliance leaders wouldn't be kowtowing to him. He wouldn't be a black hole of moral absolutism and narrative inertia because Dwarves are positively edgy by comparison to Stormwind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:06 AM

Drunk Assassin

Mostly what other people have said, also, High King is actually a dwarven title with legitimacy in the past and hasn't been arse-pulled for a human.

All hail Dagran II, High King of Ironforge and Emperor of Khaz Modan, the one who redeemed the Thaurissan Dynasty and secured the place of the dwarves in the world.

Last edited by Thunderbraid; 10-27-2013 at 01:11 AM..
Old 11-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Elune

Now that's a true dwarf.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:43 PM

Eternal

I like the dangly thingy on his beard.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:52 PM

Elune

Huzzah for actual body hair.

Author of the Pink Engine.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:39 PM

Eternal

Are those... iron briefs?
Old 11-08-2013, 04:42 PM

Drunk Assassin

oh my god

Tags
beneath the mountain, best race, dwarfgasm, dwarven boobs, dwarves, dwarves master race, for khaz modan, misty mountains cold., races, thunderbraid's realm