Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How will the future of the human race be?
The future will be great! 4 13.79%
Future will be good. 5 17.24%
About as good as now. 13 44.83%
Worse than now. 3 10.34%
There is no future. 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
We can just use the leftover bomb shelters we built from the last 10 times the world was supposed to end.
You mean the shelters filled with toxic waste, deadly gas, ravaging mutants and Russians? Yeah...about that....
Old 01-25-2015, 03:26 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
It's not the apocalypse. It's not the masochistic, antisocial concept of Judeochristian monotheism that is literally begging for the end of all human life and to receive death. It's simply the end of the Western civilization and way of life as we currently live it.

We are literally destroying our ecosystem, if you choose to ignore that, you're not on your own, most people do. That doesn't stop it from being true and happening, however.

It's already too late to stop the large scale effects of Global Warming that will take place over the next century or so, it's already large too late to prevent the damage that monoculture farming has been doing to our soils, or to repair the mass extinction of species and literal eradication of our fish species and pollution of our oceans.

Human society will suffer greatly due to our negligence and ignorance, unfortunately. At this point we can only try to do as much good as we can in our own spheres of influence, and hope for the changes to come to lead to something better.
I feel like even good words turn to ash in your mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:27 PM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I feel like even good words turn to ash in your mouth.
Hm? Who or what did I trigger now?
I'm just stating facts.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:29 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Hm? Who or what did I trigger now?
I'm just stating facts.
Sure, but nobody likes you, so nobody takes your facts seriously even when they're true.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-25-2015, 03:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Sure, but nobody likes you, so nobody takes your facts seriously even when they're true.
I don't care about the few conservatives that inhabit this area who dislike my rethoric or what I say =)

I feel there are plenty around here that know exactly what I'm talking about, and are on the same page. I'm just pretty much the only one that bothers to engage some of the whackier people around here. The rest know it's pretty much pointless.

Dunno about the concept of "liking someone" on a message board anyway...
Old 01-25-2015, 03:34 PM

Elune

In the future, events will occur.

Author of the Pink Engine.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:35 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
In the future, events will occur.
Not if I have anything to do with it.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-25-2015, 03:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
They aren't really facts though.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
They aren't really facts though.
When you show any kind of evidence to disprove my assertions, i'll agree with you.

The current state of scientific findings backs my statement up.

I won't start linking videos and wiki pages, because it doesn't lead anywhere, but you should be able to do some simple research into contemporary studies on the things I mentioned.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:54 AM

Eternal

I feel that the future will be better, if only because of the fact that up till now, from ancient times to modern times, life has generally got better. Yes we live in unstable times, but not as unstable as those of the medieval age, for example. But at the same time, I don't think that it will be great either, just better.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:40 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Sagara#2842

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
I feel that the future will be better, if only because of the fact that up till now, from ancient times to modern times, life has generally got better. Yes we live in unstable times, but not as unstable as those of the medieval age, for example. But at the same time, I don't think that it will be great either, just better.
It's all a question of perspective, I think.
It's likely that the people that were in Rome around 476 thought the world would fall into barbarism forever. Or for the plagued of 1350 to think humanity was doomed to disappear forever. And it was true, but for specific times and places.

So yeah, we could be looking at horrible times at points in the future, but we've proven as a species to be resilient and adaptable (actually, I'd argue we're one of the few resilient and adaptable top predators out here). So I think the species will endure quite a bit and probably keep striving up. Maybe not in a familiar way, but we're not done yet. Not by a long shot.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:41 AM

Priestess of the Moon

...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 01-26-2015, 07:54 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
xkcd is always relevant, as is SMBC.

If you want to truly understand human nature, they are the two webcomics, and indeed sources you should seek out.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 01-26-2015, 08:25 AM

Elune

Yep people have been predicting the end of the world forever. Especially the end of Earth's resources.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:30 AM

Elune

Us running out of resources is not the end of the world. It's the end of the culture we live in right now, that's all.

And yeah, by the very definition, the resources we base our society on right now are finite and dwindling, be they metals, fossil fuel or gas...so...yeah...those people talking about our resources running out are simply talking about facts, not crying about hellfire and brimstone on a street corner.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
Us running out of resources is not the end of the world. It's the end of the culture we live in right now, that's all.

And yeah, by the very definition, the resources we base our society on right now are finite and dwindling, be they metals, fossil fuel or gas...so...yeah...those people talking about our resources running out are simply talking about facts, not crying about hellfire and brimstone on a street corner.
Finite but not dwindling. They aren't really facts and I don't think you have intimate knowledge of the world's resources based off of a youtube video. Engineers like me will always find alternatives or ways to innovate. Lockheed and Martin is working on nuclear fusion which is a big deal. More fuel efficient vehicles, more efficient ways of extraction, and alternate fuel sources are out there.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Finite but not dwindling. They aren't really facts and I don't think you have intimate knowledge of the world's resources based off of a youtube video. Engineers like me will always find alternatives or ways to innovate. Lockheed and Martin is working on nuclear fusion which is a big deal. More fuel efficient vehicles, more efficient ways of extraction, and alternate fuel sources are out there.
Nuclear fusion is, by best estimates, roughly 4-5 decades away from becoming any kind of feasible solution to anything.

Oil is running out far earlier than that, especially with exponential increases in demand.

And you'd probably have an argument for us as a whole finding a way or an alternative, if it weren't for the circumstance that the current economic system and power structure is pretty dependant on us using a finite, and scarce, resource. So there's that roadblock, that has always been working to hold back alternative and sustainable energy development. You cannot really be blind to this.

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...nuclear-fusion

On the topic of fusion...

"Cowley says it is unlikely fusion will become part of the world’s power generation before 2050 and Lockheed’s announcement does little to change his mind. “I can’t see any results. I mean what have they achieved? It’s all promise,” says Cowley. “The proof is in the pudding in science. I’m surprised that a company like this would make this kind of announcement without announcing any results.”

A press release by a corporation means pretty much nothing without academic peer review and publication of findings.

edit: forgot to mention that if and when fusion becomes usable, it will be in the military context first and foremost, and not a widespread solution to domestic energy requirements. So add another couple of decades to it becoming viable in other aspects.

Last edited by miffy23; 01-26-2015 at 09:00 AM..
Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I like this video. It makes me feel like all might not be lost.

But I think it's naive to assume that the positive trajectory of our past will remain through our future. I see countries and corporations locking themselves into a system which rewards a preservation of the status quo, and the status quo is a house divided.

I was recently treated to an intimate glimpse of the cultures that underlie the upper government of the United States. I was deeply struck by the vicious cycle that I saw. In the past, I preferred to believe countries across the world were winding down from their tribal stages and would within centuries, even decades, be capable of cooperating as a single human collective. This recent glimpse showed me how mistaken I was. Mutual fear and animosity is still intensely strong in governments and military around the world.

Modern capitalism is figuratively built on the backs of third-world wage-slaves. The desperate pursuit of maximized profit ensures that any corporation to pause and consider the ramifications of overseas sweatshops will be devoured by its competition. I see no easy escape from the culture of rabid greed that has corrupted our global economy.

No easy escape, that is, excepting purging hellfire.

Throughout our history, the human condition has generally improved. I believe it is entirely possible for this trend to continue, in the same way it is theoretically possible for people to refrain from killing each other. But people don't seem all that interested in not killing each other. As long as institutions as corrupt and as powerful as the Chinese, Russian and US governments exist to sabotage and manipulate smaller nations, and as long as capitalism is allowed to persist in its current form, the world isn't going to get better. And there isn't enough good will in all the world to change the rules peacefully.

The good news is this can't last. The system will collapse eventually. And when the flames die and the dust settles, sustainable technologies that today's corporations rejected as too costly might be dredged up and implemented. Maybe if there's enough resources for everyone, people will stop killing each other for oil fields and energy reserves. And everyone lives happily ever after.

Or maybe we break our machine so badly that we can't put it back together again. That's where you need an Ark.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-26-2015, 09:22 AM

Problemsolver

I'm no chronomancer or bronze dragon, so I can't forsee the future.

What I hope'll happen though is that humanity fuck themselves over and remove themselves from the surface of this planet. And I don't mean as in colonizing other planets, but dying off. We already have the capacity to do so, so why not?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:29 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

What I hope'll happen though is that humanity fuck themselves over and remove themselves from the surface of this planet. And I don't mean as in colonizing other planets, but dying off. We already have the capacity to do so, so why not?
Then forgive me for being blunt, but why don't you start with yourself now?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:46 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynrind View Post
Then forgive me for being blunt, but why don't you start with yourself now?
I've tried it already, but I'm too much of a chicken to go through with it. But if you've ever wanted to try and murder someone, you have my permission to kill me. As long as you do it relatively quickly.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 AM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

So you're basically like, some kinda super hippy.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:18 AM

Elune

Quote:

I like this video. It makes me feel like all might not be lost.

But I think it's naive to assume that the positive trajectory of our past will remain through our future. I see countries and corporations locking themselves into a system which rewards a preservation of the status quo, and the status quo is a house divided.

I was recently treated to an intimate glimpse of the cultures that underlie the upper government of the United States. I was deeply struck by the vicious cycle that I saw. In the past, I preferred to believe countries across the world were winding down from their tribal stages and would within centuries, even decades, be capable of cooperating as a single human collective. This recent glimpse showed me how mistaken I was. Mutual fear and animosity is still intensely strong in governments and military around the world.

Modern capitalism is figuratively built on the backs of third-world wage-slaves. The desperate pursuit of maximized profit ensures that any corporation to pause and consider the ramifications of overseas sweatshops will be devoured by its competition. I see no easy escape from the culture of rabid greed that has corrupted our global economy.

No easy escape, that is, excepting purging hellfire.

Throughout our history, the human condition has generally improved. I believe it is entirely possible for this trend to continue, in the same way it is theoretically possible for people to refrain from killing each other. But people don't seem all that interested in not killing each other. As long as institutions as corrupt and as powerful as the Chinese, Russian and US governments exist to sabotage and manipulate smaller nations, and as long as capitalism is allowed to persist in its current form, the world isn't going to get better. And there isn't enough good will in all the world to change the rules peacefully.

The good news is this can't last. The system will collapse eventually. And when the flames die and the dust settles, sustainable technologies that today's corporations rejected as too costly might be dredged up and implemented. Maybe if there's enough resources for everyone, people will stop killing each other for oil fields and energy reserves. And everyone lives happily ever after.

Or maybe we break our machine so badly that we can't put it back together again. That's where you need an Ark.
Yes.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

There is no future, only the present and the records of what came before. The leftist cowards will continue to bury their heads in the sand about internal and external threats, as well as economic realities such as needing profit in order to drive society. We are making a shitty future due to our piss poor actions in the present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:42 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
There is no future, only the present and the records of what came before. The leftist cowards will continue to bury their heads in the sand about internal and external threats, as well as economic realities such as needing profit in order to drive society. We are making a shitty future due to our piss poor actions in the present.
I think a lot of people consider what you just described as our internal threat.

Tags
abandon eurasia, depends where you live, discussion, mad ramblings, poll, speculation, the future