Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-06-2015, 12:56 PM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Night Elf Icon (War3) The Demon Hunter's New Clothes

Or, rather, the lack of those.

Okay, what I'm talking about is the fact that every new Demon Hunter will be horned from the start (aside from one no-horn option). Their general looks seem to be based on TBC's version of Illlidan Stormrage. This is peculiar, for one reason.

Illidan's TBC form is not his default Demon Hunter look. It was acquired through years of fel corruption, which were preceded by some sort of merge with the Skull of Gul'dan that turned him permanently half-demonic. Seems like, in time, the demonic corruption continued to grow, with Illidan getting fel eyes burning through his Cursed Vision of Sargeras blindfold.

So, Illidan's form was unique to his backstory. The Demon Hunters we saw among the ranks of Illidari were all similar to their WC3 incarnations: blindfold without burning eyes, no horns, two swords. Horns, fel-glowing eyes and tatoos, wings were unique to Illidan because of his Skull-of-Gul'dan backstory. Then, why do modern Demon Hunters have it? Did Illidan try to fuse night elves and blood elves under his command with actual demons to empower them? Did he use the Skull of Gul'dan's powers upon them?

Or will it be unexplained and left for the rule of cool? (inb4 snarky remarks, that is)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,165

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Or, rather, the lack of those.

Okay, what I'm talking about is the fact that every new Demon Hunter will be horned from the start (aside from one no-horn option). Their general looks seem to be based on TBC's version of Illlidan Stormrage. This is peculiar, for one reason.

Illidan's TBC form is not his default Demon Hunter look. It was acquired through years of fel corruption, which were preceded by some sort of merge with the Skull of Gul'dan that turned him permanently half-demonic. Seems like, in time, the demonic corruption continued to grow, with Illidan getting fel eyes burning through his Cursed Vision of Sargeras blindfold.

So, Illidan's form was unique to his backstory. The Demon Hunters we saw among the ranks of Illidari were all similar to their WC3 incarnations: blindfold without burning eyes, no horns, two swords. Horns, fel-glowing eyes and tatoos, wings were unique to Illidan because of his Skull-of-Gul'dan backstory. Then, why do modern Demon Hunters have it? Did Illidan try to fuse night elves and blood elves under his command with actual demons to empower them? Did he use the Skull of Gul'dan's powers upon them?

Or will it be unexplained and left for the rule of cool? (inb4 snarky remarks, that is)
I think it's just laziness in BC. Proto Illidan was semi demonic. RPG info says demon hunters take on demonic traits
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,693
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I think it's just laziness in BC. Proto Illidan was semi demonic. RPG info says demon hunters take on demonic traits
I keep telling people not to treat the RPG as canon. "But it's just speculation! Why do you hate speculation Noitora? Why are you so dumb and mean and black?" Because dumbasses keep treating it as canon then complain when Blizzard doesn't take shit from it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-06-2015, 01:23 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

They're binded to him that way maybe? You also have Kanrethad who achieved demonic transformation on his own.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,559
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Or will it be unexplained and left for the rule of cool? (inb4 snarky remarks, that is)
This is the answer to everything Blizzard, and you know it.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
This is the answer to everything Blizzard, and you know it.
Yes, but I'd like some in-universe suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,693
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Yes, but I'd like some in-universe suggestions.
No.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Aneurysm Aneurysm is offline

Problemsolver
Aneurysm's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here, there, and everywhere.
Posts: 9,333

Default

They said something about the characters we portray as Demon Hunters were Illidan's prodigy students, or some such. Perhaps they were infused personally by his demonic essence. In a totally non-sexual manner.
__________________
My love for you is like a truck, berserker.
Would you like some making fuck, berserker?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
They're binded to him that way maybe? You also have Kanrethad who achieved demonic transformation on his own.
I'm not talking about Metamorphosis, though, but about demonic effects on a demon hunter's "normal" form, like what happened to Illidan and, seemingly, the new hunters too.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:18 PM
ijffdrie ijffdrie is offline

Elune
ijffdrie's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: A rock of certainty amid an ocean of possibility
Posts: 15,790

Default

I'm guessing it was absorbing demons. After all, the Blood Elves were already draining demons to sustain themselves. What better way to keep them permanently sated than by giving them their own internal source of demon energies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I keep telling people not to treat the RPG as canon. "But it's just speculation! Why do you hate speculation Noitora? Why are you so dumb and mean and black?" Because dumbasses keep treating it as canon then complain when Blizzard doesn't take shit from it.
I'm pretty sure that's not what makes you black, Noitora.
__________________
This is not a signature.

Author of the Pink Engine.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

I expect Illidan's training camps had a bit more emphasis on straight-up demonology than he and the other OG demon hunters had. More demonic exposure plausibly equals more demonic qualities?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Hmm, his students as depicted in TBC didn't exhibit such mutations, though.

But generally, yeah, I think it has to be some demon fusion. Still, what do you think about the Skull of Gul'dan suggestion?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:24 PM
ijffdrie ijffdrie is offline

Elune
ijffdrie's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: A rock of certainty amid an ocean of possibility
Posts: 15,790

Default

Illidan's mutation came from absorbing the skull's power. I don't think you can do that more than once. OTOH, I'm not seeing why Gul'dan's skull would be more suitable than any other particularly powerful fel user. I could see a few eredar skulls being given to the most prominent students.


We do know of one trainee/demon fusion; the guy from Vashj's raid. I'm guessing it's something that comes at a very late stage in training. Most of the guys at Karabor seemed to be beginners.
__________________
This is not a signature.

Author of the Pink Engine.

Last edited by ijffdrie; 08-06-2015 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:31 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,693
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

They could be a different breed of DH like dks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:36 PM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Illidan's mutation came from absorbing the skull's power. I don't think you can do that more than once. OTOH, I'm not seeing why Gul'dan's skull would be more suitable than any other particularly powerful fel user. I could see a few eredar skulls being given to the most prominent students.


We do know of one trainee/demon fusion; the guy from Vashj's raid. I'm guessing it's something that comes at a very late stage in training. Most of the guys at Karabor seemed to be beginners.
Yet his top students: Theras, Netharel and Alandien all seem "normal". Leotheras, though, was a sort of "failed experiment". Thinking about Loetheras, perhaps he was fused with THIS sort of Demon?

BTW, now that I look at them, Theras, Netharel and Alandien already had Fel Green tatoos, and not the usual black ones.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-06-2015, 04:20 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,165

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I keep telling people not to treat the RPG as canon. "But it's just speculation! Why do you hate speculation Noitora? Why are you so dumb and mean and black?" Because dumbasses keep treating it as canon then complain when Blizzard doesn't take shit from it.
Wrongo matey chopper dog.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Ma Caque Attaque Ma Caque Attaque is offline

Elune
Ma Caque Attaque's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In your mind
Posts: 12,687

Default

What's even more odd is that the female DH are still wearing clothes on their chests.

If the males are able to show off their chest tattoos then the females must be able to as well.

I thought that the Illidari were about equality!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-06-2015, 05:45 PM
ijffdrie ijffdrie is offline

Elune
ijffdrie's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: A rock of certainty amid an ocean of possibility
Posts: 15,790

Default

Having fel energies burning inside you probably just makes you really hot. It's not about showing off the tats, it's about not passing out from the heat.
__________________
This is not a signature.

Author of the Pink Engine.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-06-2015, 05:52 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Having fel energies burning inside you probably just makes you really hot. It's not about showing off the tats, it's about not passing out from the heat.
I actually didn't think of that all this time. Guess that explains why they're all shirtless. Dudes are sweating like a motherfucker.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-06-2015, 06:34 PM
TerrorhoofMayo TerrorhoofMayo is offline

Arch-Druid
TerrorhoofMayo's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,086
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
What's even more odd is that the female DH are still wearing clothes on their chests.

If the males are able to show off their chest tattoos then the females must be able to as well.

I thought that the Illidari were about equality!
But WoW is PG 13. If I had my way demon hunters would all be topless, including females.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Taintedmage Taintedmage is offline

Eternal
Taintedmage's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,809

Default

demon juice does crazy shit to you, man.

Gorge on demon blood for days? BAM Felblood Elves with wings horns, cracks in skin, and possibly claw like hands.

Gorge on fel magic? BAM Karenthrad.


Dat shits like crack yo. Only it makes you immortal and you can become a demon.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-06-2015, 07:22 PM
GenyaArikado GenyaArikado is offline

Banished
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,294

Default

I dont think the bounce that comes running around topless feels supercool for women with decently sized breasts y'know.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,165

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedmage View Post
demon juice does crazy shit to you, man.

Gorge on demon blood for days? BAM Felblood Elves with wings horns, cracks in skin, and possibly claw like hands.

Gorge on fel magic? BAM Karenthrad.


Dat shits like crack yo. Only it makes you immortal and you can become a demon.

I think what separates them is, at the end of the day, demon hunters retain themselves
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,693
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I think what separates them is, at the end of the day, demon hunters retain themselves
Nah.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I think what separates them is, at the end of the day, demon hunters retain themselves
Do they?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
demon hunters, demons, foot expansion, illidan is always right, illidari, leg expansion, legion, wow legion

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.