Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-06-2015, 12:56 PM

The Sun King

Night Elf Icon (War3) The Demon Hunter's New Clothes

Or, rather, the lack of those.

Okay, what I'm talking about is the fact that every new Demon Hunter will be horned from the start (aside from one no-horn option). Their general looks seem to be based on TBC's version of Illlidan Stormrage. This is peculiar, for one reason.

Illidan's TBC form is not his default Demon Hunter look. It was acquired through years of fel corruption, which were preceded by some sort of merge with the Skull of Gul'dan that turned him permanently half-demonic. Seems like, in time, the demonic corruption continued to grow, with Illidan getting fel eyes burning through his Cursed Vision of Sargeras blindfold.

So, Illidan's form was unique to his backstory. The Demon Hunters we saw among the ranks of Illidari were all similar to their WC3 incarnations: blindfold without burning eyes, no horns, two swords. Horns, fel-glowing eyes and tatoos, wings were unique to Illidan because of his Skull-of-Gul'dan backstory. Then, why do modern Demon Hunters have it? Did Illidan try to fuse night elves and blood elves under his command with actual demons to empower them? Did he use the Skull of Gul'dan's powers upon them?

Or will it be unexplained and left for the rule of cool? (inb4 snarky remarks, that is)
Old 08-06-2015, 01:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Or, rather, the lack of those.

Okay, what I'm talking about is the fact that every new Demon Hunter will be horned from the start (aside from one no-horn option). Their general looks seem to be based on TBC's version of Illlidan Stormrage. This is peculiar, for one reason.

Illidan's TBC form is not his default Demon Hunter look. It was acquired through years of fel corruption, which were preceded by some sort of merge with the Skull of Gul'dan that turned him permanently half-demonic. Seems like, in time, the demonic corruption continued to grow, with Illidan getting fel eyes burning through his Cursed Vision of Sargeras blindfold.

So, Illidan's form was unique to his backstory. The Demon Hunters we saw among the ranks of Illidari were all similar to their WC3 incarnations: blindfold without burning eyes, no horns, two swords. Horns, fel-glowing eyes and tatoos, wings were unique to Illidan because of his Skull-of-Gul'dan backstory. Then, why do modern Demon Hunters have it? Did Illidan try to fuse night elves and blood elves under his command with actual demons to empower them? Did he use the Skull of Gul'dan's powers upon them?

Or will it be unexplained and left for the rule of cool? (inb4 snarky remarks, that is)
I think it's just laziness in BC. Proto Illidan was semi demonic. RPG info says demon hunters take on demonic traits
Old 08-06-2015, 01:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I think it's just laziness in BC. Proto Illidan was semi demonic. RPG info says demon hunters take on demonic traits
I keep telling people not to treat the RPG as canon. "But it's just speculation! Why do you hate speculation Noitora? Why are you so dumb and mean and black?" Because dumbasses keep treating it as canon then complain when Blizzard doesn't take shit from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:23 PM

Elune

They're binded to him that way maybe? You also have Kanrethad who achieved demonic transformation on his own.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
This is the answer to everything Blizzard, and you know it.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 08-06-2015, 01:42 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
This is the answer to everything Blizzard, and you know it.
Yes, but I'd like some in-universe suggestions.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:54 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yes, but I'd like some in-universe suggestions.
No.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:10 PM

Problemsolver

They said something about the characters we portray as Demon Hunters were Illidan's prodigy students, or some such. Perhaps they were infused personally by his demonic essence. In a totally non-sexual manner.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:16 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
They're binded to him that way maybe? You also have Kanrethad who achieved demonic transformation on his own.
I'm not talking about Metamorphosis, though, but about demonic effects on a demon hunter's "normal" form, like what happened to Illidan and, seemingly, the new hunters too.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:18 PM

Elune

I'm guessing it was absorbing demons. After all, the Blood Elves were already draining demons to sustain themselves. What better way to keep them permanently sated than by giving them their own internal source of demon energies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I keep telling people not to treat the RPG as canon. "But it's just speculation! Why do you hate speculation Noitora? Why are you so dumb and mean and black?" Because dumbasses keep treating it as canon then complain when Blizzard doesn't take shit from it.
I'm pretty sure that's not what makes you black, Noitora.

Author of the Pink Engine.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:19 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I expect Illidan's training camps had a bit more emphasis on straight-up demonology than he and the other OG demon hunters had. More demonic exposure plausibly equals more demonic qualities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:20 PM

The Sun King

Hmm, his students as depicted in TBC didn't exhibit such mutations, though.

But generally, yeah, I think it has to be some demon fusion. Still, what do you think about the Skull of Gul'dan suggestion?
Old 08-06-2015, 02:24 PM

Elune

Illidan's mutation came from absorbing the skull's power. I don't think you can do that more than once. OTOH, I'm not seeing why Gul'dan's skull would be more suitable than any other particularly powerful fel user. I could see a few eredar skulls being given to the most prominent students.

We do know of one trainee/demon fusion; the guy from Vashj's raid. I'm guessing it's something that comes at a very late stage in training. Most of the guys at Karabor seemed to be beginners.

Last edited by ijffdrie; 08-06-2015 at 02:27 PM..
Old 08-06-2015, 02:31 PM

Elune

They could be a different breed of DH like dks.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-06-2015, 02:36 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Illidan's mutation came from absorbing the skull's power. I don't think you can do that more than once. OTOH, I'm not seeing why Gul'dan's skull would be more suitable than any other particularly powerful fel user. I could see a few eredar skulls being given to the most prominent students.

We do know of one trainee/demon fusion; the guy from Vashj's raid. I'm guessing it's something that comes at a very late stage in training. Most of the guys at Karabor seemed to be beginners.
Yet his top students: Theras, Netharel and Alandien all seem "normal". Leotheras, though, was a sort of "failed experiment". Thinking about Loetheras, perhaps he was fused with THIS sort of Demon?

BTW, now that I look at them, Theras, Netharel and Alandien already had Fel Green tatoos, and not the usual black ones.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:20 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Wrongo matey chopper dog.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:25 PM

Elune

What's even more odd is that the female DH are still wearing clothes on their chests.

If the males are able to show off their chest tattoos then the females must be able to as well.

I thought that the Illidari were about equality!
Old 08-06-2015, 05:45 PM

Elune

Having fel energies burning inside you probably just makes you really hot. It's not about showing off the tats, it's about not passing out from the heat.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:52 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Having fel energies burning inside you probably just makes you really hot. It's not about showing off the tats, it's about not passing out from the heat.
I actually didn't think of that all this time. Guess that explains why they're all shirtless. Dudes are sweating like a motherfucker.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:34 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
What's even more odd is that the female DH are still wearing clothes on their chests.

If the males are able to show off their chest tattoos then the females must be able to as well.

I thought that the Illidari were about equality!
But WoW is PG 13. If I had my way demon hunters would all be topless, including females.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:10 PM

Eternal

demon juice does crazy shit to you, man.

Gorge on demon blood for days? BAM Felblood Elves with wings horns, cracks in skin, and possibly claw like hands.

Gorge on fel magic? BAM Karenthrad.

Dat shits like crack yo. Only it makes you immortal and you can become a demon.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:22 PM

Banished

I dont think the bounce that comes running around topless feels supercool for women with decently sized breasts y'know.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:25 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedmage View Post
demon juice does crazy shit to you, man.

Gorge on demon blood for days? BAM Felblood Elves with wings horns, cracks in skin, and possibly claw like hands.

Gorge on fel magic? BAM Karenthrad.

Dat shits like crack yo. Only it makes you immortal and you can become a demon.

I think what separates them is, at the end of the day, demon hunters retain themselves
Old 08-06-2015, 07:25 PM

Elune

Quote:
I think what separates them is, at the end of the day, demon hunters retain themselves
Nah.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-06-2015, 07:39 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Do they?

Tags
demon hunters, demons, foot expansion, illidan is always right, illidari, leg expansion, legion, wow legion