Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:11 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpiusMaximus View Post
Shadowmages have been a thing in WoW for a long time already. But they're just shadow priests with another name.
My headcanon:
- Shadow Priest: Either serves the Old Gods/Void willingly or manipulates the shadow but understands its dangers so is careful.
- Shadow Mage: A mage that manipulates the shadow but believes he's its master, not its servant, and eventually ends up corrupted and mad.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 07-07-2017, 09:43 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
- Shadow Mage: A mage that manipulates the shadow but believes he's its master, not its servant, and eventually ends up corrupted and mad.
So. . . a Warlock?
Old 07-07-2017, 09:53 PM

Loremaster

Unlike shadow priests, shadow mages would logically still be using the arcane to accomplish their spells; they just use it specifically and primarily to control shadow energies, the same way frost mages and fire mages use arcane mastery to manipulate ice and fire respectively, despite neither energy being arcane itself. Manipulating shadow doesn't make a shadow mage a type of priest any more than frost and fire mages would be shamans.

As the magics of Order and Disorder, it stands to reason that the arcane and fel in particular can be used to grab onto other energies and "move them around," since they're effectively the opposing universal essences of everything being built up or broken apart.

Last edited by ARM3481; 07-07-2017 at 09:56 PM..
Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 PM

Mountain Giant

Any sign of Medivh in 7.3? Would be weird if he doesn't take part in defeating the Burning Legion, especially with that cliff-hanger at the end of Return to Karazhan.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Unlike shadow priests, shadow mages would logically still be using the arcane to accomplish their spells; they just use it specifically and primarily to control shadow energies, the same way frost mages and fire mages use arcane mastery to manipulate ice and fire respectively, despite neither energy being arcane itself. Manipulating shadow doesn't make a shadow mage a type of priest any more than frost and fire mages would be shamans.

As the magics of Order and Disorder, it stands to reason that the arcane and fel in particular can be used to grab onto other energies and "move them around," since they're effectively the opposing universal essences of everything being built up or broken apart.
I dunno how I feel about this switch from Arcane being the 'background radiation' magic, to being Orderly, and Fel being arcane's opposite instead of tainted arcane turned up to 11.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-08-2017, 12:55 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
(because Blizz has a soft spot for redemption)
Funny, that. I remember a time when all redemption arcs were blamed on Metzen. Now we exist in a world where ridiculous redemption stories are no longer the fault of Metzen personally, but of Blizzard the company which Metzen retired from.

I find it very interesting.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:06 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I dunno how I feel about this switch from Arcane being the 'background radiation' magic, to being Orderly, and Fel being arcane's opposite instead of tainted arcane turned up to 11.
But then, what is the magic of Order but the "background radiation" of a universe that functions according to systems of form and function, cause and effect, action and reaction?

And what is the magic of Disorder but the tainting of Order to reduce those systems to all things resulting in more Disorder?

Last edited by ARM3481; 07-08-2017 at 01:09 AM..
Old 07-08-2017, 01:11 AM

Eternal

Quote:
To the Alliance:
Varimathras: So, your Alliance still endures. Longer than I expected, though she has already planted the seeds of its downfall. She is patient, that one.
Varimathras: When your thrones run red with betrayal... when your holy places burn and the shattered mask hangs above your hearth... only then you will know. And it will be too late.
Varimathras: It matters not. You are blind to the true darkness closing in around you.

To the Horde:
Varimathras: So, she found me at last. Sent her underlings to finish the job.
Varimathras: Tell me, when she seized your throne of hides and bones, was your allegiance forced? No... I'd wager you surrendered it willingly... or were convinced you did.
Varimathras: It matters not. You are blind to the darkness in your midst.
So the dialogue to the Alliance is actually spoken by Varimathras. Couple that with the shattered mask (Forsaken symbol?) and it makes you wonder if she is actually referring to Sylvanas. The Horde version definitely does and may even imply Vol'jin has dun goofed.

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, DTube, FruitLab, or Brighteon.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
So the dialogue to the Alliance is actually spoken by Varimathras. Couple that with the shattered mask (Forsaken symbol?) and it makes you wonder if she is actually referring to Sylvanas. The Horde version definitely does and may even imply Vol'jin has dun goofed.
Odd.. What has Sylvanas been involved in that Vari would know about that would effect the Alliance?
Old 07-08-2017, 01:59 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Odd.. What has Sylvanas been involved in that Vari would know about that would effect the Alliance?
Well, to be fair he presided over her Deathstalkers when she was trying to make a plague that would wipe out the Scourge and the living. So he may just remember her as someone who was everyone's enemy and plotted to eventually destroy both her enemies and her allies.

It's also possible that in the knowledge of what and who Sylvanas is, he predicts that as an undead monstrosity with her kinds of motivations she'll inevitably turn on everyone.

Or maybe there's something even worse about her that he knew all along and expects to come into play soon. Talk of "the true darkness closing in around you" could point at something Void-related, since saying that as we storm the Legion's stronghold comes across like he's painting it as the true threat to us rather than the Legion, and demons who aren't making Faustian deals with characters aren't typically prone to talk about anything being a greater threat than themselves.

Last edited by ARM3481; 07-08-2017 at 02:03 AM..
Old 07-08-2017, 02:19 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Vaximillian#2212

Okay, if there is a corrupted or in any way unhinged Jaina we have to fight and put down in the next expansion, I’m going to flip the fuck out and be done with this game.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:51 AM

Banished

>implying they'll make Sylvanas into a plain villain even after all the pandering

Obviously Varimathas was foreshadowing the Wrath of the Lich King 2.0 expansion where Sylvanas goes Full Kerrigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Funny, that. I remember a time when all redemption arcs were blamed on Metzen. Now we exist in a world where ridiculous redemption stories are no longer the fault of Metzen personally, but of Blizzard the company which Metzen retired from.

I find it very interesting.
Obviously this was case since at least WoD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
Okay, if there is a corrupted or in any way unhinged Jaina we have to fight and put down in the next expansion, I’m going to flip the fuck out and be done with this game.
They have a corrupted Jaina showing off the next Hearthstone expansion.

I look forward to Jaina's setback since it's apparent she's a badly fitting remnant of WC3 that the developers haven't known what to do with. Just hack her head off, put her down.

Last edited by Almed; 07-08-2017 at 03:05 AM..
Old 07-08-2017, 03:40 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlie View Post
Any sign of Medivh in 7.3? Would be weird if he doesn't take part in defeating the Burning Legion, especially with that cliff-hanger at the end of Return to Karazhan.
He's having fun adventures with Medhan and Wrathion.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:54 AM

Faerie Dragon

I don't think they will make Sylvanas a boss. I don't know where the hell I saw years ago that the undead were immune to the old gods' mind control, so maybe she will have some kind of Kerrigan story arc like Almed pointed out where she takes control of the scourge and creates some kind of army of the light but with undead soldiers immune to void corruption.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:57 AM

Eternal

Kosak is still around, isn’t he? Sylvanas is safe.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:05 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Undead Icon (War3)

Quote:
Kosak is still around, isn’t he? Sylvanas is safe.
He's on the Hearthstone team now.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:21 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Well, to be fair he presided over her Deathstalkers when she was trying to make a plague that would wipe out the Scourge and the living. So he may just remember her as someone who was everyone's enemy and plotted to eventually destroy both her enemies and her allies.
Maybe he knows about a secret plan where Sylvanas had large caches of Blight smuggled beneath Stormwind cathedral and is going to blow them up in a crucial moment, like Anduin marying Tess Greymane or something.

Now where have I seen this before?
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 07-08-2017, 07:04 AM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Jaggler#2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpiusMaximus View Post
Shadowmages have been a thing in WoW for a long time already. But they're just shadow priests with another name.
If mages get a fourth spec I'd guess it would be some kind of time-based damage or healing spec. There is some time-based healing going on in Nighthold so there is some basis to it.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:18 AM

Elune

Quote:

It's also possible that in the knowledge of what and who Sylvanas is, he predicts that as an undead monstrosity with her kinds of motivations she'll inevitably turn on everyone.

Or maybe there's something even worse about her that he knew all along and expects to come into play soon. Talk of "the true darkness closing in around you" could point at something Void-related, since saying that as we storm the Legion's stronghold comes across like he's painting it as the true threat to us rather than the Legion, and demons who aren't making Faustian deals with characters aren't typically prone to talk about anything being a greater threat than themselves.
Varian did die because of Sylvanas.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:38 AM

Eternal

Did he? The way i remember, Vol'jin, being Warchief and all, called for retreat, an order that was then simply relayed by Sylvanas using a signal loud enough for the alliance to hear.
I fail to see how she is responsible.
Don't get me wrong, she's a bitch and all, but blaming this on her is just blind, facts-ignoring alliance fanboyism.

Now Jaina being noticably absent when she could've teleported him out, that's an entirely different story.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017

Last edited by spidey1980; 07-08-2017 at 07:45 AM..
Old 07-08-2017, 07:39 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggler View Post
If mages get a fourth spec I'd guess it would be some kind of time-based damage or healing spec. There is some time-based healing going on in Nighthold so there is some basis to it.
I'd rather see priests get a fourth spec than mages. Discipline is begging for a dps off-shoot.

And hey, with all this foreshadowing, maybe priests will get some attention in 8.0!
Old 07-08-2017, 07:42 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
I'd rather see priests get a fourth spec than mages. Discipline is begging for a dps off-shoot.
I’d rather see warriors get a fourth spec. Gladiator died for our sins
Old 07-08-2017, 08:03 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
I’d rather see warriors get a fourth spec. Gladiator died for our sins
Who?
Old 07-08-2017, 08:49 AM

Arch-Druid

If classes get a fourth spec then clearly druids need a fifth to balance it out.

How would a new spec work for someone leveling Legion anyway? They wouldn't make new artifacts for it, it'd be old content.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:18 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
If classes get a fourth spec then clearly druids need a fifth to balance it out.

How would a new spec work for someone leveling Legion anyway? They wouldn't make new artifacts for it, it'd be old content.
Hero spec only available once you reach a certain level? (Like in GW2.)

Paladins obviously get a spec with a night theme, since the night elves are joining the fold and ushering in the age of the Void for paladins.

Last edited by Nazja; 07-08-2017 at 09:23 AM..
Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion