Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2014, 07:42 PM

Eternal

Really, it shouldn't be now that you're realizing that Telltale only sells names and not branching stories.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:36 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
Really, it shouldn't be now that you're realizing that Telltale only sells names and not branching stories.
Eh, you don't need choices to change the story to matter.

Edit:

Just finished the game! WOW! What a twist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Swords can't be drawn from the back effectively. Much less claymores. Minor quip, but it still annoyed me.
Yeah, that always bugs me.

Quote:
Why does Lord Forrester say they'll be marching on Casterly Rock from the Twins? When Robb made camp at the Twins, it was because he was going to retake the North from the ironmen.
Show continuity. Ramsay Snow was sent to deal with the Ironborn.

Quote:
How does Ramsay Snow get his men inside Ironrath when I closed the gate after only letting him and Lord Whitehills inside?
As Duncan mentions, you don't really have anything close to an actual fully manned garrison. As we see, Ramsay brought friends.
Quote:
Why are the animations, rigging, and poses still fucked up? It's 2014 and the game animates like a goddamn Dragon Age game.
The hell if I know. The number of bugs in this game is shameful.

I dislike that the Forresters are just Stark-lite. It's a really unoriginal move by Telltale. Everything about them is a blatant Stark rip-off.

I don't think that's really spoiler territory. As for the Foresters being essentially Expys of the Starks, I was a little annoyed by that myself. Though, to be fair, they are Stark bannermen and probably kinsmen to them as well. Assuming any ever married either Starks or Karstarks in the past 2,000 years.

Even the Southern part, albeit not the redhead, is justified given they're traders unlike most Northmen.

Quote:
The honorable father, beloved of his people, just and fair, killed dishonorably. The eldest son, just like his father, stern and just. Also killed dishonorably. The bookish third son. The Southron mother. The daughter trapped in a Southron court. The confused little son.
You can't really not do the former given the Red Wedding. I appreciated the fact Ethan was also significantly sharper than everyone else potentially. Likewise, Mira isn't in any way a Sansa EXPY because she can successfully play the game as well as Tyrion by playing Cersei, Margaery, and Tyrion against each other.
Quote:
The only two of them that seem like original creations are Asher and Talia. Even then, Asher is the exiled son who didn't fit in. Talia is the girl who was trained at arms.
Really, I thought Talia was the Sansa EXPY.
Quote:
The ending was an interesting twist that I honestly didn't expect, so I suppose I owe them that much, at least.
I was pleased by it as it made sense given who you're dealing with.

Quote:
EDIT:

And after playing Episode 1 twice now, I see that your choices in Telltale games STILL do not matter. There's a predetermined course. Your choices are just flavor and don't actually change anything. The games aren't tailored to how you play. The same comments are made by characters regardless of what you say or what choice you make. The sad thing is, I knew this would happen.
It's annoying but they kind of lampshade this in Bioshock: Infinite that choice doesn't really exist in video games but it's still potent to get involved in the storyline.

Also, Telltale has surprised me recently. The Walking Dead Season Two has three separate endings.

Last edited by Charles Phipps; 12-04-2014 at 01:47 AM..
Old 12-04-2014, 06:34 AM

Elune

The Forresters don't come across as the richest of noble houses. That seems a little odd considering how prized their trees actually are, but considering they all seem to panic at Ramsay garrisoning twenty men and just how small their castle is I don't think it's a stretch for a pig farmer who was competant enough to be raised up, especially when Gregor was/is basically Ned 2.0.

My biggest gripe prior to release and post-release is that, as has been said, the Forresters are basically the Starks. Gregor is Ned (honourable warrior who cares for smallfolk), Lady Ellisa is Catelyn (strong Southern wife who grew to love her husband), Rodrik looks and sounds very much like Robb, Ethan is Brann (father dies and young lord must take over who is close to his Maester), Mira is Sansa (wannabe-noble lady but from the North trapped in King's Landing), Ryon is blatantly Rickton (youngest child who doesn't understand but shows hints of being very vengeful) whilst Talia 'might' be an Arya knock-off but we don't really know much about her.

Asher is the only family member who isn't a Stark knock-off, but even Garrett comes across as a lot like Jon (the technical 'outsider' who was very close to Ned/Gregor and goes to the Wall) but that might be me strawmanning a bit.

Last edited by Drusus; 12-04-2014 at 06:44 AM..
Old 12-04-2014, 03:53 PM

Warden

Oddly, I'd say Mira is closer to Margaery Tyrell than Sansa as the way I played her was a scheming manipulator, flatterer, and liar who was playing everyone in King's Landing against one another. She wasn't a prisoner in King's Landing but playing the game and from a semi-decent position. Margaery, Tyrion, and Cersei didn't suspect a thing when she was done with them.

Talia was the Sansa, IMHO.

As for the Forresters, it should be remembered the Northerners don't have knights in the books or the show. So, they have soldiers who get raised up from the peasantry all the time. Ser Royland was a peasant too, if you talk to him, but is the House Forester Man at Arms. There's a bit more social mobility in the North, albeit the glass ceiling is much firmer.

As for the Forresters panicking, I think they probably had a few hundred men originally like the Whitehills (who have twenty times their soldiers) but lost everyone in the Red Wedding.

Here's my review of Episode One if anyone is interested.

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blo...-from-ice.html

Last edited by Charles Phipps; 12-05-2014 at 12:33 PM..
Old 12-05-2014, 10:18 AM

Elune

Dat ending of GoT.... was awesome.

Ramsey Snow is such an adorable scamp throughout that entire episode.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:38 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
Ramsey Snow is such an adorable scamp
U fuckin wot m8?
Old 12-05-2014, 07:53 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
U fuckin wot m8?
Ramsay was polite.

He only killed like two people.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:25 AM

Elune

Wat.

We could have had the Wolf Among Us Season 2 instead of this. First Pinball, now this. Dammit. Oh and RIP Sam and Max.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:14 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Not sure if trol... wait this is real?

erm. I usually give Telltale the benefit of the doubt but i'll pass on this one. Also what Drusus says - gimme some wolf action or zombies or another Jurassic Park (MAN Jannuary is gonna be Telltale Month for me - Borderlands, Game of Edge AND i'll finally order JP the game from Amazon ). Thefuck kind of story is Minecraft supposed to have, does that even have characters?
Old 12-23-2014, 05:11 PM

Banished

Kek.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:18 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Kek.
You keep using that word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:11 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Finally i can dig into TvTropes as far as Game of Thrones is concerned!

First of all: massive props to surprising me who died; i was dead sure the Squire was going to bite it right after Lord Forrester, especially since his speciality move seems to be to freeze and just stand there whenever he's supposed to act or run (well, he IS going to the Wall...).

As a non-viewer it's hard for me to appreciate the actors, though, and personally i feel like their slightly more realistic design clashes uncomfortably with the more cartoony characters that have no real life origin (particularly that Whitehill asshat).
All in all this first episode was, for the most part, enjoyable, though i found the political intrigues to be overwhelming for a game that usually gives you only a mere few seconds to decide - in the Kingshall scene in King's Landing, for example, i had no damn clue by the end whether or not i had acomplished anything at all... then again i was playing against Cersei and she was probably too busy thinking about how much that guard to her left intrigued against her by looking at Marge's tits and not hers and mentally ordering the next barrel of Arbor Gold to follow the script and i was just catching her on a bad day.

Also: the Forresters are Fanfic Insert Characters. All of them. And Ethan's voice actor sounded like he was recording from a cellphone, did anyone else catch that?

More amusing than infuriating: after cutting the thief's fingers off the sister (i have this rule of thumb that a script is good when i can remember everyone's name; this episode was pretty good, not counting the book chars of course, but a lot of them escaped me nonetheless. Then again this IS Game of Thrones with thousands of characters to replace the ones killed in the book before) she told me it was a cruel and evil thing to do and if i find the time i should be more decicive and strong because people need a strong leader. #Facepalm.

Also: as much as i love Telltale - i HATE it when they offer me a chance where i can almost literally hear the other choice's voice actor reading the same script while i'm playing with my choice. The Duncan/Royland thing was just stupid and i spent two minutes making sure i REALLY couldn't choose Lady Mom or The Doctor. It's infuriating since i know these are the kind of choices that make it LOOK like they're choices, but in the end don't change anything at all. Grrrr.

Finally: was anyone else bothered by that weird blurring effect that made the game look like a painting?

All in all i like it though. Now if Tales from the Boarderlands could have the decency to get below 16 bucks so i can use the rest of my Steam Wallet charge that'd be dandy.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:36 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
You keep using that word.
And?
Old 12-27-2014, 07:41 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
And?
I do not know what it means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:44 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I do not know what it means.
it means lol in orcish. also a onomatapoiea for laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:20 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Finally played episode 1 of GoT and good lord that ending! I wasn't expecting that. Is it the same for everyone? With Ethan getting stabbed in the throat by Ramsay?
Old 12-27-2014, 10:31 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Finally played episode 1 of GoT and good lord that ending! I wasn't expecting that. Is it the same for everyone? With Ethan getting stabbed in the throat by Ramsay?
Yes. Regardless of what you do, the same thing happens. Whether you meet him at the gate or let him inside, he still calls you an insolent little lord and his soldiers magically teleport inside your castle and he kills you.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:14 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Yes. Regardless of what you do, the same thing happens. Whether you meet him at the gate or let him inside, he still calls you an insolent little lord and his soldiers magically teleport inside your castle and he kills you.
Ah good to know.

While there are some problems with the story, like that teleportation issue, I did not expect a perfect story that would take five fucking years to write. I wanted to see the bloodthirsty monster in action, have Cersei be the bitch she usually is and play the game of thrones, even if on a lower scale. I am satisfied with this and will play episode 2.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:49 AM

Sha of Disappointment

I expect the offscreen teleportation to be the doing of the guy not chosen to be sentinel as he is absent during the ending scene (at least Duncan was absent when i chose Royland and i expect it to be the same the other way around, it's Telltale...), opening the gate in an attempt to appease the enemy (Duncan) or rushing their soldiers in a failed attempt to look intimidating (Royland). Or, you know, he's just plain a dick who can't take losing.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:13 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I want S2 Wolf Among Us.

If not that and if I had to pick any other idea for Telltale game, it would be The Astounding Wolf Man. (Another Robert Kirkman comic book series.)
Old 12-28-2014, 10:49 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

I am strangely interested by their Minecraft game. The same masochistic interest that keeps me in Warcraft.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I want S2 Wolf Among Us.
Fables is almost finished. I think there's two issues left? Begs the question if Bill Willingham's will allow the IP to be milked a little more. Apparently the team behind Harry Potter are doing a (canon) film, but whether or not it sees the light of day is another story. Maybe if the film gets hype we'll see S2 but with Minecraft's announcement showing up with roughly enough time for TWAU's previous team to have been working on it I'm not holding out hope.

Sadly I think Telltale realised how much money there is in pumping out shitty sequels of The Walking Dead and snatching IP's that have mainstream appeal (Game of Thrones and Minecraft). TWAU was a commercial success but largely because it was their first game after TWD S1. I think what irks me most is that people - both reviewers and fans - were so quick to forgive the mistakes of TWD S2 but then gave the same criticisms to TWAU, even when they weren't nearly as bad. That TWD S2 was in the running for so many GotY awards for writing over TWAU shows that it's just the brand name/S1 nostalgia running it. Heck, even gameplay wise TWAU was better than TWD S2 which largely consisted of "Clem falls after being startled by a zombie and stumbles back until she finds a weapon her size" repeated about two-three times an episode.

Last edited by Drusus; 12-28-2014 at 11:02 AM..
Old 01-17-2015, 01:26 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I finally finished Tales from the Borderlands episode 1. It's so great to see Telltale go back to their comedy roots. They make great drama, but their comedy like Sam and Max and more lighthearted fair like Back to the Future were what won me over to them.

Now if only they'd do Sam and Max season four.

I also like how good they are at letting you get into a setting even if you're not 100% familiar with the source material, as I just didn't like the gameplay in Borderlands enough to finish even the first one, yet understood things perfectly. Same with Wolf Among Us when I had never heard of Fables before. I've heard this isn't the case for Game of Thrones though?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:21 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Wasn't all that bad imo. I can see how people could miss the consequences of taking the Black, but those didn't come up yet so it doesn't really matter, and the ominous screen text informing one that one is at the Red Wedding most likely means nothing to anyone not informerd, but the slaughter starts imediately after that, so that doesn't really matter either. And everything else seems rather self explaining to me.

Except the playing of the games of thrones-stuff that Sansa, i mean the older Forrester girl, had to take a part in. "Cersei is a cunt" and "Margerey is pissed at me because i did exactly what she told me to" is pretty much the only thing i could take away from that. Fuck all of these people. Basic Campfire for King of Westeros.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:57 AM

Elune

I'd say Game of Thrones is definitely much, much, harder to get into if you hadn't seen the show/read the books. The Red Wedding turns into "Who is Robb Stark? Why are these guys turning on us? Who are the Boltons and why should I fear them?" These things aren't given any exposition to explain to people who don't come into the game knowing them already. Heck, I don't even think it tells you that the Boltons were the ones who betrayed the Starks so much as them just being the guys now in power, the game assumes you know that already. Everybody is terrified of Ramsay coming to town but that's never really given any backing until you actually meet him. I don't think this was treated as 'let the player imagine how bad he is' so much as assuming you knew that already because of the show/books.

I think TFtB would suffer a smidge if you didn't know who Handsome Jack is since they reference him a lot, otherwise it doesn't suffer from it.

The Wolf Among Us was fine for it, The Walking Dead... well, it was the zombie apocalypse and had almost no link to the comic canon.

Tags
point and click, story, storytelling, telltale games, ugly graphics