Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #326  
Old 02-06-2019, 03:58 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,133

Default

Quote:
3. Which again, just a confusing stance to take when I thought the whole argument for including High Elves had to do with their lore, not their physical appearance.
High elf talk has no bearing in this discussion, since void elves are not high elves, nor we are discussing ways to make high elves playable.

It's a very simple matter: Blizzard gave Alleria a pretty straightforward high elven appearance, plus an armor that could very well be the high elf heritage set, and then made an entire "race" based on her storyline but that doesn't look nor dress like her. You walk into Telogrus and Alleria looks completely out of place, unlike everyone else there. You see her by Umbric's side, and they are clearly not from the same race (and, given how they dress, not even the same thematic group).

Blizzard could have altered her appearance when she ate L'ura, or she could at least switch her gear to a purple/gold color scheme in later appearances to say "she's now a void elf", but she still has a high elven appearance and a high elven thematic gear.

You may call story similarities as a reason to call her a void elf, but this is a visual media. The reason we were given for "no high elves" was purely appearance (which is why we insist they can be made different), so, if that's what defines a race in-game, Alleria is clearly a high elf, not a void elf.

Quote:
It really does seem like a big campaign to just divorce one of the Void Elves' most important characters based entirely on her skin pigment, when I don't think that matters considering they both have the same properties about them and one just got to it in a far more masterful way than the other one.
It's a way to show the hypocrisy of negating a playable race based on appearance while making another "acceptable" just because it was colored blue.

It also shows that Blizzard sold Alleria as a preview of the void elves but delivered something that had nothing in common with what we had seen before.

Quote:
4. I don't think that's entirely necessary, but I certainly wouldn't mind her wearing more Void Elf-inspired colors and just embracing her new destiny as a leader of an exiled people. I think she wouldn't look that bad in black armor.
It would mean changing her classic look and making her unreckognizable. Or, instead, the void elves could have been made to look more like her instead. but Blizzard wants to have its cake and eat it while throwing crumbs at us.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 02-06-2019 at 04:05 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 02-06-2019, 04:31 AM
Gurzog Gurzog is offline

Banished
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,056
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Default

I really fail to see why high elves couldnt be part of the void elves.
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 02-06-2019, 05:03 AM
Royalpimp Royalpimp is offline

Eternal
Royalpimp's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,557

Default

Alleria doesn't have any of the permanent physical changes that the void elves have. It'd be sort of similar to saying a Blood elf Warlock that can use metamorphosis is the same as a fel blood elf. One only presents physical changes when using a certain skill-set and it's always temporary, the other is stuck with permanent physical alterations.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 02-06-2019, 10:01 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,852

Default

Not all physical changes are actually visible. In fact, most of them aren't.

Alleria certainly is not identical to the playable void elves, but despite looking as she did while a high elf, she definitely is not a high elf any more either.

Maybe it could be considered wrong to call her a void elf. Maybe she could be considered her own thing. Convergent magical evolution, if you will. But to call her a high elf would be just as wrong.

In the end, what truly matters with Thalassian elves is not so much their biology. It's what they consider themselves to be and with whom they align themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 02-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,030
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I really fail to see why high elves couldnt be part of the void elves.
There are to some extent but you're right, they should have made the Void Elf backstory more expansive than just exiled Blood Elves. They should have been seeded as early as 7.3 with Alleria's army becoming voidcursed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Alleria doesn't have any of the permanent physical changes that the void elves have. It'd be sort of similar to saying a Blood elf Warlock that can use metamorphosis is the same as a fel blood elf. One only presents physical changes when using a certain skill-set and it's always temporary, the other is stuck with permanent physical alterations.
She has an echo'd voice, whispers in her head that she can never turn off, and a void form that people interpret as a tool but really it's actually part of her genetic being.

A Blood Elf Warlock would be like a Fel Blood Elf or Demon Hunter if he actually got so in tune with fel magic that he decided to infuse himself with it. That's the difference. Warlocks and Shadow Priests only use their power as tools, Fel Blood Elves and Void Elves literally infuse themselves with it. For the record, I do actually consider Demon Hunters something more than just elves, they are half-demons. They have so much customization that they might as well be something of a new race along with being a new class.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 02-06-2019 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 02-06-2019, 07:02 PM
Ethenil Ethenil is offline

Eternal
Ethenil's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,635

Default

Some people fail to see that Alleria is a high elf.

Other people fail to see that she is a Void elf.

She's both, it's quite clear to me.

Ren'dorei, sin'dorei, quel'dorei. These are practically the same race, just different divisions based on culture.
__________________
Daelin was right.
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 02-07-2019, 03:37 AM
Meta Meta is offline

Ranger
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 353

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Some people fail to see that Alleria is a high elf.

Other people fail to see that she is a Void elf.

She's both, it's quite clear to me.

Ren'dorei, sin'dorei, quel'dorei. These are practically the same race, just different divisions based on culture.
This. Alleria is clearly a high elf turned void elf, which is IMO the best route to develop both factions.

I think a fair compromise would be to feature a questline where the Silver Covenant joins Umbric's Void Elves whilst somehow keeping their high elf aesthetics. This would make them a more heterogeneous group, give them more characters (Vereesa, at least) and probably satisfy some of the more avid demands for high elves.

To make it worthwhile, a few more Quel'dorei customization options would have to be added to void elves, such as blonde or light blue hair, pale-white skin and more transmog sets for each armor class that combine both Thalassian and void elements.

I'd also welcome a void unicorn or dragonhawk mount with dark blue and silvery armor as an addition to complement the race.
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 AM
Menel'dirion Menel'dirion is offline

Eternal
Menel'dirion's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)
Posts: 2,519

Default

Perhaps Alleria’s transformation isn’t complete. She very well may become aVoid Elf as we know them.
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 02-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,133

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Perhaps Alleria’s transformation isn’t complete. She very well may become aVoid Elf as we know them.
This is what I'm expecting to happen.

Void elf origins are still being told, after all. They are not a true "race" yet.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 02-07-2019, 01:23 PM
Royalpimp Royalpimp is offline

Eternal
Royalpimp's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,557

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Not all physical changes are actually visible. In fact, most of them aren't.

Alleria certainly is not identical to the playable void elves, but despite looking as she did while a high elf, she definitely is not a high elf any more either.

Maybe it could be considered wrong to call her a void elf. Maybe she could be considered her own thing. Convergent magical evolution, if you will. But to call her a high elf would be just as wrong.

In the end, what truly matters with Thalassian elves is not so much their biology. It's what they consider themselves to be and with whom they align themselves.
I'd agree she shouldn't be a high elf by virtue of elves apparently suffering changes worthy of being considered a new race by just being near certain types of magic(like the blood elves got green eyes and tanner or paler skin, I forget), but with Alleria I see none of that, unless you can specify anything in particular. And fair enough about the Thalassian elves and their alingments but does she consider herself a void elf? She's agreed to lead them but I never got the impression she actually thought herself one of them as opposed to a high elf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
She has an echo'd voice, whispers in her head that she can never turn off, and a void form that people interpret as a tool but really it's actually part of her genetic being.

A Blood Elf Warlock would be like a Fel Blood Elf or Demon Hunter if he actually got so in tune with fel magic that he decided to infuse himself with it. That's the difference. Warlocks and Shadow Priests only use their power as tools, Fel Blood Elves and Void Elves literally infuse themselves with it. For the record, I do actually consider Demon Hunters something more than just elves, they are half-demons. They have so much customization that they might as well be something of a new race along with being a new class.
I don't remember the permanent echo'd voice like the void elves have? The whispers she can't turn off are common to anyone who deals with the void at a high level, it has to do with her choice of magic, and I don't see where it says the void form is part of her genetic template. As far as I can tell none of those are said to be genetically transmissible.
Gonna need a citation for the the Blood elf warlock part. I've seen no indication that being able to use metamorphosis for a short while makes a blood elf automatically a fel blood elf or like the demon hunters, especially since I believe there actually is at least one blood elf NPC follower that can use meta. And then there's the question of blood elf shadow priests, they imbue themselves with void energies too when they use their shadow form, are they void elves all of a sudden?
Alleria may well be on her way of becoming a void elf at some point but genetically/physically she seems every bit a high elf to me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
knife-ears, world of warcraft

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.