Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 09-26-2017, 03:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
I had to look it up, since it's not a term I think I've ever encountered in Canadian politics, but I must say that sounds like a pretty skeezy practice that'd lend itself very easily to abusing and/or exploiting workers. Which is interesting, because the principles of freedom of association are still something I believe in (in theory), so I'm not entirely sure where this gut reaction of mine comes from.

I suppose if huge swaths of the labour force weren't perched precariously on the edge of a poverty spiral, the concept of being able to quit/fire without notice or cause might make more sense, but it sure seems to me that workers are at a massive disadvantage when it comes to making a deal with a prospective employer, especially if they're living paycheck to paycheck.
At will employment is, in theory, a good thing. As you said, freedom of association! It's a good thing.

In practice, it's far too easy to be abused and can have a stifling effect on rights of the workers.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:34 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
At will employment is, in theory, a good thing. As you said, freedom of association! It's a good thing.

In practice, it's far too easy to be abused and can have a stifling effect on rights of the workers.
Sounds like a lot of righty beliefs. They sound good until you try them or think about them too hard.
Member #14
Old 09-26-2017, 04:12 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Sounds like a lot of righty beliefs. They sound good until you try them or think about them too hard.
Funny, thats my problem with alot of liber beliefs
Old 09-26-2017, 04:56 PM

Arch-Druid

Isn't the problem with beliefs in general ?
Old 09-26-2017, 08:03 PM

Elune

Jefferson Beauregard "Shock 'em straight" Sessions gave a speech on "free speech" today wherein he complained about universities becoming echo chambers of homogeneous thought. Protesters (who were initially invited and planned to protest by wearing duct tape over their mouths) were banned from the event after submitting questions to be allowed to ask. The irony was apparently lost on the brain-dead righties in attendance.
https://lawnewz.com/high-profile/pro...n-free-speech/
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 09-26-2017 at 08:25 PM..
Old 09-27-2017, 03:09 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Jefferson Beauregard "Shock 'em straight" Sessions gave a speech on "free speech" today wherein he complained about universities becoming echo chambers of homogeneous thought. Protesters (who were initially invited and planned to protest by wearing duct tape over their mouths) were banned from the event after submitting questions to be allowed to ask. The irony was apparently lost on the brain-dead righties in attendance.
https://lawnewz.com/high-profile/pro...n-free-speech/
Cue mental image of the protesters, at some point in the middle of the presentation, ripping the duct tape off their mouths.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:17 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Cue mental image of the protesters, at some point in the middle of the presentation, ripping the duct tape off their mouths.
So, were they banned for precrime or thoughtcrime? I get the two confused sometimes.
Also, apparently some did manage to dodge the uninvitation. Their protest went as planned. I'm assuming they got in because they didn't submit questions that were about wrongthink.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 09-27-2017 at 04:43 AM..
Old 09-27-2017, 05:55 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:

Something we can agree on.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:00 AM

Elune

We now have an answer for the lack of support for Puerto Rico.
Member #14
Old 09-27-2017, 09:45 AM

Echo of the Past

And priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump tweet
Much of the Island has been destroyed, with billions of dollars owed to Wall Street and the banks which, sadly, must be dealt with.
Le sigh.

He is going to visit, so hopefully the "us" vs. "them" mentality doesn't put Puerto Rico on the "them" side.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:27 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
And priorities.

Le sigh.

He is going to visit, so hopefully the "us" vs. "them" mentality doesn't put Puerto Rico on the "them" side.
He's just jealous Puerto Rico only had to declare bankruptcy once.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:48 AM

Elune

The Russian facebook ads are being looked into. It seems they were pushing hard for support for Bernie Sanders, Jill Stein, and pedophile donnie.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...s-stein-243172
This would help explain at least some of the people you'd see around the internet on the "Bernie Or Bust" train who later suddenly turned into fervent supporters of his exact opposite.

If we're just going to accept this kind of interference as a nation, then I hope that in 2018 and 2020, China or some other country hacks our elections, engages in massive ad and information campaigns, and makes the Democrats win.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 09-27-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Old 09-27-2017, 02:01 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
And priorities.

Le sigh.

This is actually all a bit surprising to an outsider. To the best of my knowledge, Trump got a bunch of positive news coverage from his handling of the fallout from hurricanes Harvey and Irma (with the exception of occasionally putting his foot in his mouth here and there), and even his cutting a deal with Democrats to raise the debt ceiling in order to secure emergency funding. This seems like the type of thing he's seen can be good for his popularity if he shows the right kind of leadership.

So my question is: Is his approach to Puerto Rico actually substantively different from how he handled the crisis in Texas and Florida, or is this just a case of his having said something dumb early on, such that we can still expect him to get back on track in terms of ensuring Puerto Rico gets the assistance it needs?

Bonus question: Why isn't Puerto Rico a state? I get why the US might not be too keen on granting statehood to its tinier colonies, but with a population of three and a half million, Puerto Rico is anything but tiny.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
This is actually all a bit surprising to an outsider. To the best of my knowledge, Trump got a bunch of positive news coverage from his handling of the fallout from hurricanes Harvey and Irma (with the exception of occasionally putting his foot in his mouth here and there), and even his cutting a deal with Democrats to raise the debt ceiling in order to secure emergency funding. This seems like the type of thing he's seen can be good for his popularity if he shows the right kind of leadership.

So my question is: Is his approach to Puerto Rico actually substantively different from how he handled the crisis in Texas and Florida, or is this just a case of his having said something dumb early on, such that we can still expect him to get back on track in terms of ensuring Puerto Rico gets the assistance it needs?

Bonus question: Why isn't Puerto Rico a state? I get why the US might not be too keen on granting statehood to its tinier colonies, but with a population of three and a half million, Puerto Rico is anything but tiny.
It makes more sense when you realize there's a very good chance he didn't even know that Puerto Rico is part of the US. A surprising amount of people in the US aren't aware of that for some reason (same goes for Guam and our other small territories).

As for Puerto Rico's statehood, it's an issue that comes up every few years. They have to vote in favor of it and then Congress has to approve and admit them into the Union. PR just voted on it again this year and it passed by 97%, but voter turnout was only 23% due in large part to a massive boycott of the vote. The last time they voted on this was in 2012 when it passed but a ton of people just turned in blank ballots, so Congress threw it out. I'm not sure where this year's process is at the moment, though.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 09-27-2017 at 02:35 PM..
Old 09-27-2017, 03:06 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:

Did he really do too much in Texas and Florida? Here in Houston and Beaumont (I have family both places, the distance an hour away), a LOT of the rescue and cleanup was done on a local level. A lot of neighborhood stuff. Like, boat owners drove out to save stranded people on the worst nights.

I think Trump didn't do much and got undeserved credit, for Texas at least. Puerto Rico just got hit so badly, that same stuff ain't gonna fly.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:38 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Did he really do too much in Texas and Florida? Here in Houston and Beaumont (I have family both places, the distance an hour away), a LOT of the rescue and cleanup was done on a local level. A lot of neighborhood stuff. Like, boat owners drove out to save stranded people on the worst nights.

I think Trump didn't do much and got undeserved credit, for Texas at least. Puerto Rico just got hit so badly, that same stuff ain't gonna fly.
Again, you'll have to forgive me if I come across as horrifically ill-informed. It's possible I got the wrong impression.

From what I'd seen, people reacted well to Trump's initial statement(s) on helping Texas and his aforementioned deal with the Democrats to secure funding. Whatever his reasons, ostensible acts of bipartisanship always look good for a president, especially when it comes to moments of crisis like natural disasters (especially on such a massive scale). I took the bump in his approval rating which coincided with the move to mean people were generally satisfied with his reaction.

I'll admit it's certainly possible there was something else at play at the same time which might explain it, and I simply hadn't considered it.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:52 PM

Elune

Interesting. Apparently Puerto Rico can't take foreign aid (or anything at all, really) without massive taxes, tariffs, and fees due to legislation from the 1920.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/o...t.html?mcubz=3
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 09-27-2017 at 06:54 PM..
Old 09-27-2017, 07:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Interesting. Apparently Puerto Rico can't take foreign aid (or anything at all, really) without massive taxes, tariffs, and fees due to legislation from the 1920.
Wait.. Do you mean youve been bitching about the perception of no aide to PR, and you didnt know that?
Old 09-28-2017, 12:02 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Wait, what?

Even if the shipbuilding industry considers the law to be in its best interest, and we accept that repealing the bill outright might not be easy, you'd think it'd be pretty easy just to write in a temporary exemption to provide aid in the event of emergencies or natural disasters like they're facing now. It seems absolutely bizarre that you'd stonewall the island from obtaining any foreign aid because of an interbellum law.

Edit: Just noticed the article mentioned the Jones Act was temporarily waived. I suppose that's probably the best can be done without pissing off the shipbuilding industry.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
Wait.. Do you mean youve been bitching about the perception of no aide to PR, and you didnt know that?
I don't recall "bitching" about a lack of foreign aid going to Puerto Rico.

In other news, there's yet another reason Kushner should have his security clearance pulled.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/28/politi...nce/index.html
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 09-28-2017 at 08:07 PM..
Old 09-28-2017, 08:07 PM

Banished

This thread sucks without PJ.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:51 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
This thread sucks without PJ.
Go complain to her about it.

"But I don't know how."

Then learn to live.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:10 AM

Elune

So, I'm not going to link to it to make Cantus and the mods jobs easier.
Google UNDERCOVER IN ANTIFA: Their Tactics and Media Support Exposed! by Steven Crowder.

I fully expect this to not get watched, but a rundown

- Antifa supporters planned a violent attack, talking about luring people to cars to stab and shoot them, using encrypted apps to plan this, actively handing out sharp weapons. Knives. Ice picks.

-Footage of this was gained, leading to arrests.

-Footage was offered, in front of the police, to local and national news sources, including Nightline, and they walked away

-When the news stations covered arrests later at the "protests", they didn't mention any of the lead up, that they were offered information, video, and a story up front.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:11 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
So, I'm not going to link to it to make Cantus and the mods jobs easier.
Google UNDERCOVER IN ANTIFA: Their Tactics and Media Support Exposed! by Steven Crowder.

I fully expect this to not get watched, but a rundown

- Antifa supporters planned a violent attack, talking about luring people to cars to stab and shoot them, using encrypted apps to plan this, actively handing out sharp weapons. Knives. Ice picks.

-Footage of this was gained, leading to arrests.

-Footage was offered, in front of the police, to local and national news sources, including Nightline, and they walked away

-When the news stations covered arrests later at the "protests", they didn't mention any of the lead up, that they were offered information, video, and a story up front.
Why would this make our jobs easier or harder? We're not here to police thought, we're here to moderate actions.

That said, on a very quick google, Crowder seems to have the same problem as most political media personalities. He likes to submit edited content and use that as a propaganda tool instead of reporting raw facts (like an actual journalist should).

If I were you, and I wanted to show the dark side of a political movement, I'd link to the actual arrest reports instead of someone known for excessive editing.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:04 AM

World Builder

Hmn.

*googles crowder*

Quote:
At the 2013 Conservative Political Action Conference, Crowder stated, "...Ashley Judd just tweeted that buying Apple products, again, is akin to rape. From her iPhone."

---

On top of all of this, the original joke doesn’t even make sense. Crowder’s punch-line is that Judd is oblivious to the obvious hypocrisy of condemning Apple products while using them. What an idiot! But Judd’s comments came in a long essay (not a tweet) about the angst she felt about using products that came from conflict zones.
I know Motherjones is a pretty garbage website but this seems pretty clear-cut, the guy's a lying troll.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-jokes-happen/

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president