Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-16-2017, 11:38 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

When I think Night Elf, I think sentinels. Blood Elves I think Spellbreakers, High Elves the archers from Warcraft 2.

Out of those three, the ones that are the 'most magical' are the Blood Elves, though the High Elves sre also prominent in Dalaran, so...

Void Elves are the first elves in warcraft that the first thing that pops into my heads is some kind of caster.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 12-19-2017, 02:53 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
It was clear in the data mined files that those guys were exiled blood elves from pre burning crusade.
Technically, pre-TBC Thalassian blood elves were high elves in everything but name. And many of them started calling themselves high elves again later on.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:10 PM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

Hmm...I think that at kaelthas time they were already hard on fel syphoning.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:25 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Hmm...I think that at kaelthas time they were already hard on fel syphoning.
Only those on Outland, those in Quel'Thalas had begun mana draining only after Rommath's return (and apparently, they never drained fel).
Old 01-04-2018, 09:49 AM

Druid of the Claw

I feel like the Velfs not only killed High Elf fan's dreams, but are vigorously desecrating it's corpse.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:03 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veryyawn View Post
I feel like the Velfs not only killed High Elf fan's dreams, but are vigorously desecrating it's corpse.
Indeed. Thrusting their hips to the latest Scandinavian hybrid EMD/metal track.

I'm not a fan of High Elves, but if the GD point is to bring in the LOTR people, just give them their High Elves.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:34 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I think this argument ignores the fact they have their own distinct appeal and even though they are a completely new race, their own distinct following (which seems to be growing the more we know of them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
I'm not a fan of High Elves, but if the GD point is to bring in the LOTR people, just give them their High Elves.
Well, clearly, that ain't the point.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
I still don't understand the decision.

Who do void elves appeal to? People who wanted more elves want high elves. Everyone else hates elves, they're all over the place.

They put work in design and modeling for something that people did not want.

They could have made the Nightborne the void elves instead, at least they would have something to make them radically different from the night elves. Or hell, leave the void elf idea, but make it some sort of transformation for high elves, not a race itself.

Take the void stuff further, and turn it into an anti-mage idea. Alleria has found a way to cure the fel from blood elves and turn them back into high elves. Many blood elves, disgruntled with the Horde, join her, and start a civil war at Quel'Thalas, where they start using the void form to hunt the demonic magic sympathizers.

I just can't understand what the hell were they thinking.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 01-05-2018, 08:44 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Who do void elves appeal to?
Me who wanted Alliance to have a dark and edgy race after they apparently didn't do that with Worgen despite saying they would?

Also Void Elves are more unique of an addition than High Elves are, since Alliance is already oversaturated with Light-worshiping races but doesn't really have a race that's more thematically tied to shadow. Not saying I'm against High Elves still being added, but I think Void Elves are more interesting.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 01-05-2018 at 08:48 AM..
Old 01-05-2018, 09:01 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Alliance is already oversaturated with Light-worshiping races but doesn't really have a race that's more thematically tied to shadow.
It sounds like you want the Alliance to be more like the Horde. So, it's treason then.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:55 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Me who wanted Alliance to have a dark and edgy race after they apparently didn't do that with Worgen despite saying they would?
What makes you think they'll keep their word this time around?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_C View Post
The void elves are former edgy blood elves who have been infused with a dark cosmic power that normally drives people insane? At worst they'd be like Thassaurian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:38 AM

Banished

Quote:
velves are the race version of DHs and Alleria>Genn. They should

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
I still don't understand the decision.

Who do void elves appeal to? People who wanted more elves want high elves. Everyone else hates elves, they're all over the place.
People who like WH style dark elves rather than DnD dark elves
Old 01-05-2018, 01:19 PM

Elune

Quote:
I don't, but in the event that happens I'll still enjoy the Void thematics more than piggybacked Night Elf Druidism.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:36 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
I don't, but in the event that happens I'll still enjoy the Void thematics more than piggybacked Night Elf Druidism.
IMHO, the piggybacked Night Elf druidism was a nice touch for worgen, and it actually promotes a different flavor for the worgen than you find in other races. Worgen in Legion, for example, have an odd, but fitting mix of druid healers and hunters/warriors who alternate between clawing or shooting your face off. It gives Gilneans/worgen a more syncretic feel to their culture rather than the "planet of hats" feel that some races have. There is an Old World meets New World feel to them. Sure they are not "dark and edgy," but I also don't care about shit like that since I've stopped viewing life like a teenage college student.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
IMHO, the piggybacked Night Elf druidism was a nice touch for worgen, and it actually promotes a different flavor for the worgen than you find in other races. Worgen in Legion, for example, have an odd, but fitting mix of druid healers and hunters/warriors who alternate between clawing or shooting your face off. It gives Gilneans/worgen a more syncretic feel to their culture rather than the "planet of hats" feel that some races have. There is an Old World meets New World feel to them. Sure they are not "dark and edgy," but I also don't care about shit like that since I've stopped viewing life like a teenage college student.
I think Legion has somewhat helped bring more of that Gilnean feel back and I see the appeal of that, it's why I still like Worgen to some degree. I still disagree on some things, but I don't think it's worth debating the intricacies when it just amounts to beating the usual dead horse of how I feel on the issue.

Ultimately I'd rather just move on entirely. Void Elves are not specifically what I asked for, but I will accept them and can't wait to play one.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 01-10-2018 at 08:12 PM..
Old 01-11-2018, 07:17 AM

Druid of the Claw

I keep reading the title of this thread as the "High Elf Impregnation Thread".
Old 04-26-2018, 12:46 PM

Arch-Druid

- Blood Elves are basically High Elves. Slightly different eye color and backstory, but if you want to be a light skinned elf, that is basically a Blood Elf. - Giving that to the Alliance would blur the line between factions.
- There aren't a ton of High Elves out there in WoW.
- If you are Alliance any want to be an elf, the Horde is there for you.

From Ion Hazzikostas.

I saw the recent videos of some Helf advocates, but in the end Ian is right. Helves are Belves and Helf Fans are basically people who want the model for their char, but not play Horde.

And please, don't come with "But Pandaren". (I've heard reports that Blizzard actual seems to partially regret that they made them neutral.)

Last edited by Vineyard; 04-26-2018 at 12:50 PM..
Old 04-26-2018, 01:31 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
- Blood Elves are basically High Elves. Slightly different eye color and backstory, but if you want to be a light skinned elf, that is basically a Blood Elf. - Giving that to the Alliance would blur the line between factions.

From Ion Hazzikostas.

I saw the recent videos of some Helf advocates, but in the end Ian is right. Helves are Belves and Helf Fans are basically people who want the model for their char, but not play Horde.

And please, don't come with "But Pandaren". (I've heard reports that Blizzard actual seems to partially regret that they made them neutral.)
A pity, but not an unexpected one.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:05 PM

Arch-Druid

When deciding on Allied Races, why did you choose Void Elves instead of High Elves?
Void Elves are basically High Elves. They have a slightly different backstory but if you want a tall, blonde hair elf, that's a Blood Elf. We just met Alleria and got the backstory of the Void Elf and they wanted to add a race that looked a little like the Blood Elf and Void Elves fit -- eye color isn't the same, maybe contact lens in the future.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post

From Ion Hazzikostas.

"You can be a High Elf, you just gotta bend your knee to a Lich Queen before you do it."

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 04-26-2018 at 04:27 PM..
Old 04-26-2018, 10:12 PM

Elune

As I've said on another place:

Tbh what is the point of high elves at this point? They were meant to be a foil to the blood elves (before we thought all or nearly all elves became blood elves, they were given numbers and presence for that purpose alone) but already by the end of TBC blood elves were goody elves again, and they have only gotten purer since. What is the shadiest thing blood elves did since TBC? Founded the Relinquary... the slightly shadier version of the goody two shoes Explorers League?
There is really no difference between blood elves and high elves any more and it is hard to justify their existence let alone inclusion as a playable race from any standpoint.

PS. I think velves are pretty cool, they are dark and nuanced like the original belves were. I'd prefer them to nightborne.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:32 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
As I've said on another place:

Tbh what is the point of high elves at this point? They were meant to be a foil to the blood elves (before we thought all or nearly all elves became blood elves, they were given numbers and presence for that purpose alone) but already by the end of TBC blood elves were goody elves again, and they have only gotten purer since. What is the shadiest thing blood elves did since TBC? Founded the Relinquary... the slightly shadier version of the goody two shoes Explorers League?
There is really no difference between blood elves and high elves any more and it is hard to justify their existence let alone inclusion as a playable race from any standpoint.

PS. I think velves are pretty cool, they are dark and nuanced like the original belves were. I'd prefer them to nightborne.
This post said it. The Void Elves from all evidence are the closest WoW will ever have to the character of the Blood Elves in TFT through the RPG. What with how they're not much of a country (anymore), dabble in unholy magic, and have an atmosphere of desperation. The Blood Elves we did get in WoW lost their hunger for magic through a convenient Sunwell, reclaimed Silvermoon, and had their ties to Fel lost.

Last edited by Cacofonix; 04-26-2018 at 10:39 PM..
Old 04-29-2018, 02:51 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Yeah, it’s not just the 99% visual similarity any more. It’s the fact that since TBC they’ve been slowly but surely moving the Blood Elves into that good-guy Elf spot that High Elf fans want so much. It’s to the point where there’s more of an opening in the Dark Edgy Elf spot that Blood Elves used to occupy. Of course High Elf fans will never see this because for them the Horde will always be the bad guys...........
Old 04-30-2018, 09:24 PM

Elune

Blizzard should have just grit their teeth and added blue eyes along with golden eyes in this update to the blood elf model. The golden eyes option does seem strange, to be randomly added on its own, and I am half convinced that they did want to add blue eyes along with it but chickened out. Possibly they should add other eye colors (like purple and red) too, in fact eye color customization was promised back when blood elves were first announced.

The lore justification for this is a bit dodgy given how big of a deal eye color became in the story. But for blue eyes you can say a number of high elves were tired of exile and came back to Q'T now that blood elves are no longer shady. Or if you want to add all eye colors then say that the fel taint has started to wane from blood elves and their natural eye colors are returning.
I mean golden eyes also clash with the lore but Blizz is rolling ahead, or is there some justification for them?

Tags
knife-ears, world of warcraft