Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default High Tinker "King" Mekkatorque has no power?

So this is confusing. During the gnomeregan event, Mekkatorque is referred to as pretty interchangeably as "High Tinker" and "King", and yet in a message personally sent to members of the alliance, he claims to have no legal authority over the gnomes. If that's the case... what exactly is the purpose of the office of High Tinker, seemingly the only democratically (or at least meritocratically) elected station in Azeroth?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:10 PM

The Digger

Perhaps it simply means that he lacks the authority to conscript soldiers?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 PM

Revenant - Moderator

The gnomes are so single-mindedly concerned with their inventing and studies, they have absolutely no overall focus with their society. To remedy this, they arbitrarily elect someone to tell them what to do, but can not actually force or order them to do anything. It is almost how I would envision that a society entirely made up of sort-of-savants would work.

That is my guess.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 09-07-2010 at 09:23 PM..
Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 PM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

You... YOU FOOLS

Don't you see...

THE LAWYERBOTS ARE TAKING OVER!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 PM

Elune

Well if you look at the comment, it is an addendum to an order demanding that you (the reader) turn yourself over to the High Tinkers will. To avoid liability, his lawyerbot has advised him that he cannot legally force you, an average citizen, to submit to his will. It seems reasonable that a president would have no legal authority to unilaterally force you to do something as broad as submit to his will.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
Well if you look at the comment, it is an addendum to an order demanding that you (the reader) turn yourself over to the High Tinkers will. To avoid liability, his lawyerbot has advised him that he cannot legally force you, an average citizen, to submit to his will. It seems reasonable that a president would have no legal authority to unilaterally force you to do something as broad as submit to his will.
Well, maybe if he was wearing some tight leather pants I'd consider it...
Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Mmm, old man gnome ass.

Wait a second... AUGGGGHHHH!! I WILL NEVER FEEL CLEAN AGAIN!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Arch-Druid
Send a message via Yahoo to Joshmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Mmm, old man gnome ass.

Wait a second... AUGGGGHHHH!! I WILL NEVER FEEL CLEAN AGAIN!
<Joshmaul hands you some brain bleach.>

I keep it stocked at all times.

Horde: Eaglespear - Joshmaul - Sekhesmet - Malkus - Kitrik - Suzl
Alliance: Devaneaux - Jaedenlaek - Vendross - Zherron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornakk
the ritual came to a close and a demon of untold power (but limited stature) was pulled through the void, kicking and biting and gnashing its teeth, forcibly bound to the mortal world. The warlock, a quizzical expression on his face, regarded his familiar, who was in fact now quite unfamiliar, and inquired, "Who in the hell are you?"
Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmaul View Post
<Joshmaul hands you some brain bleach.>

I keep it stocked at all times.
Well, this might give me permanent brain damage, but I think that's a price I'm willing to pay.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:10 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
No thank you.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:31 AM

Eternal

I never got anything in my mail like that.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:57 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

The gnomish law probably has a law against Forced conscription and relied on a proffessional army before the fall of Gnomeregan i guess with the fall they kinda lost it and forgot to reinstate it until now, it makes sense why gnomeregan wasn't reconquered early
Old 09-08-2010, 05:28 AM

Elune

I guess all he can ask for is a volunteer army.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:27 AM

Arch-Druid

"No legal authority whatsoever" doesn't look as though it's limited to conscription. This makes it sound like he can't enforce any laws on anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Faerie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid View Post
"No legal authority whatsoever" doesn't look as though it's limited to conscription. This makes it sound like he can't enforce any laws on anyone.
Well considering the "High Tinker" position is normally awarded to the greatest inventor of the time, it is possible that position is more of a technological leader, responsible for deciding in which direction the Gromes technology advances but with no actual control over the way your average gnome lives their life.

It could explain why Gnomergan fell so easily to the troggs if Mekkatourqe had no real military to call on, and only had the authority to make the decisions on the technological defence route that was taken... mainly the radiation route that back fired.

It would also explain why some gnomes remained in Gnomergan if Mekkatorque had no authority to order a retreat, with some deciding to fall back and the rest deciding to remain in the safe zone and launch counter attacks.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:40 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Or it could just be that some poor gnome bitch that lost his crib to a level 35 elite better ask real, real nice if he wants my 5600 gear score prot warrior to help him get it back.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:39 PM

Druid of the Talon

Crossed Swords (War2)

And even with an army of 80s, we still dont take the damn city.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid View Post
It could also mean that Mekkatorque is the executive branch of the governement (much like a president or prime minister), whereas he has no authority to actually pass laws or decrees, unless specifically delegated by whatever the legislature is. Gnomes are currently probably ruled by martial law, which can, however, still have very specific rules about conscription of civilians in order to prevent abuse of power. I guess this suggests that gnomes know a form of inalienable rights, which, no matter the situation, cannot ever be taken.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Arch-Druid

about the gnome event, has anyone done the Gnomeragan instance in cataclysm; do the quests you get at the entrance(assuming they're implemented for Gnomer) give any closure to the story? Will the lvl30ish succeed where the lvl80's failed? Will there be any logical story for the quests on the horde side?(goblins trying to steal technology, Garrosh demanding to clear the city and use it as a forward point to finally destroy all the gnomes, now that they're all in one place)
Old 09-09-2010, 10:11 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Well maybe they just follow him because he got them Tinkertown within Ironforge or something.

Maybe thats the reason it took so long for him to stage a attack on Gnomer because there was no threats or advances from the Horde ergo more volunteers ?

Na i just think they follow him and think of him as a leader and he cannot force there decision well at all really, cant regroup a army as the Gnomes are still for Alliance needs first.

Honestly though i dont really care if he is there legitimate leader or anything as long as he gives us a good showing of a few Tinker moves.

Run
Old 09-09-2010, 06:25 PM

Ranger

Quote:

So this is confusing. During the gnomeregan event, Mekkatorque is referred to as pretty interchangeably as "High Tinker" and "King", and yet in a message personally sent to members of the alliance, he claims to have no legal authority over the gnomes. If that's the case... what exactly is the purpose of the office of High Tinker, seemingly the only democratically (or at least meritocratically) elected station in Azeroth?
I'm pretty sure Dalaran's Mageocracy was Meritocratic. The best Mages became the leaders.