Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-19-2010, 03:45 AM
Ankuriaz Ankuriaz is offline

Owl Scout
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10

Default Dragons created by the titans

Hello, I've been wondering and haven't found another post about this. But the dragons evolved from proto-drakes. But were the proto-drakes created by the titans which then caught the curse of flesh, since there are metal proto-drakes in Ulduar? I'm also confused about the stone dragons which will be coming in the Cataclysm.

Ank
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,552
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

The plated proto drakes are normal proto drakes that have been modified by Loken's forces, just that.

As if the proto drakes were originally titan or not, we don't know.

Regarding the stone drakes, well, they're probably the most "wtf?" thing of Deepholm, together with the earthen (wtf are they doing there) and the stone troggs.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2010, 04:07 AM
Ankuriaz Ankuriaz is offline

Owl Scout
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10

Default

Ah ok, thanks. I was also wondering about the dragons working with Al'Akir, but guess we'll find out more on that once Cataclysm comes - same with the drakes in Deepholme.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-19-2010, 04:17 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,552
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankuriaz View Post
Ah ok, thanks. I was also wondering about the dragons working with Al'Akir, but guess we'll find out more on that once Cataclysm comes - same with the drakes in Deepholme.
Well, those are in the "weird" group, too.

My bet is that they're dragons created by Deathwing, by fusing his eggs with the elements or something (makes sense, considering stone dragons are at earth plane, and storm dragons are at air plane).

As for earthen and trogg, no ideas yet .
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Sonneillon Sonneillon is offline

Lord of the
Assassin's League
Sonneillon's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 9,990
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Default

The dragons were supposidly made out of Galakrond a giant protodragon by the titans. We are lead to believe they were converted from something living on azeroth already and later the aspects empowered.

Serpents and Reptile life have some sort of elemental tie. Look at the Flamewakers, Naga (sort of), Hydra's, Wind Serpents, the list goes on. It's also noticeable in ancient troll and non troll ruins burried all over Azeroth snake motifs. Not to mention countless giant snake skeletons, including the twin Dead Goliaths . Also in numerable places reptile life has often been used as servents of the Elementals or oldgods. WC is a good example of this, it also seems that areas tied to the dreaming are full of dinosaur life.

I've always sort of suspected that the original ordering or the fight against the old gods held that to some extent their original armies as serpentine.

Interestingly with the nexus war we are shown that the very leylines of the world are full of arcane serpents.

I dunno, there just seems to be too much in common for them to all be coincidence. Not to mention serpents are used time and time again in real world mythology things like the Titan's are based upon. I've always got a sense that it's the Titans versus the Serpent as the norse gods did. Ulduar shows a group of humanoids battling one as well in a central area.

But everything I just said moves into crazy theory territory which I could go into detail about but theres no ingame proof to support wild speculation and there likely wont ever be, just alot of connected dots. Most people hold the theory that the Art teams didnt put much thought into the ancient history of the game, I like to give them more credit than most.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 10-19-2010 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Ankuriaz Ankuriaz is offline

Owl Scout
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
The dragons were supposidly made out of Galakrond a giant protodragon by the titans. We are lead to believe they were converted from something living on azeroth already and later the aspects empowered.

Serpents and Reptile life have some sort of elemental tie. Look at the Flamewakers, Naga (sort of), Hydra's, Wind Serpents, the list goes on. It's also noticeable in ancient troll and non troll ruins burried all over Azeroth snake motifs. Not to mention countless giant snake skeletons, including the twin Dead Goliaths . Also in numerable places reptile life has often been used as servents of the Elementals or oldgods. WC is a good example of this, it also seems that areas tied to the dreaming are full of dinosaur life.

I've always sort of suspected that the original ordering or the fight against the old gods held that to some extent their original armies as serpentine.

Interestingly with the nexus war we are shown that the very leylines of the world are full of arcane serpents.

I dunno, there just seems to be too much in common for them to all be coincidence. Not to mention serpents are used time and time again in real world mythology things like the Titan's are based upon. I've always got a sense that it's the Titans versus the Serpent as the norse gods did. Ulduar shows a group of humanoids battling one as well in a central area.

But everything I just said moves into crazy theory territory which I could go into detail about but theres no ingame proof to support wild speculation and there likely wont ever be, just alot of connected dots. Most people hold the theory that the Art teams didnt put much thought into the ancient history of the game, I like to give them more credit than most.
I think that the Flamewalkers like the Naga could have been other races which the old gods sent whispers to, later changing them into what they are. Either way, they are both serpent like races and I think serpents are something to do with the Old Gods, especially seeing those 2 giant ones in Desolace like you said and Hakkar. I think maybe the trolls could have even been created by them or atleast worshipped them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-20-2010, 02:12 AM
Schro Schro is offline

Priestess of the Moon
Schro's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 537

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Well, those are in the "weird" group, too.

My bet is that they're dragons created by Deathwing, by fusing his eggs with the elements or something (makes sense, considering stone dragons are at earth plane, and storm dragons are at air plane).

As for earthen and trogg, no ideas yet .
It could work similar to some interpretations of the d&d elemental planes. If your there long enough, you become stone.

Ofc it does not effect us, as we are never there "long" enough

As for earthen, they where probably there since the start. The titans probably put some there under therezanes control.

On another note, I am even pondering if maybe she was the reason the old gods lost. Maybe she betrayed them? I mean her very realm is the lock and key which keeps the elemental planes contained, if she was against the titans she could have broken it at any time.

Last edited by Schro; 10-20-2010 at 02:15 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2010, 03:23 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,552
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schro View Post
It could work similar to some interpretations of the d&d elemental planes. If your there long enough, you become stone.

Ofc it does not effect us, as we are never there "long" enough
Still, how did troggs end down there? :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schro View Post
As for earthen, they where probably there since the start. The titans probably put some there under therezanes control.
Well, yeah, they may be the original "operators" of the Temple of Earth and the prison locks.

Anyway, I always believed the guarding of the Elemental Plane was Neltharion's duty and domain, in a relationship akin to Ysera's to the Emerald Dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schro View Post
On another note, I am even pondering if maybe she was the reason the old gods lost. Maybe she betrayed them? I mean her very realm is the lock and key which keeps the elemental planes contained, if she was against the titans she could have broken it at any time.
Maybe, god theory, although maybe she's just reclusive and careless about external stuff. Also, I guess the lock was protected, by black dragons if my theory above is correct. I guess that, when they left 10k years ago, she simply decided to leave things as they were. After all, she's fine with her plane, and doesn't want to know anything about anyone else.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-20-2010, 02:07 PM
spidey1980 spidey1980 is offline

Eternal
spidey1980's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,305

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
The dragons were supposidly made out of Galakrond a giant protodragon by the titans. We are lead to believe they were converted from something living on azeroth already and later the aspects empowered.
That something being the protodrakes. At least thats what I've always assumed. They must be called protodrakes for a reason.

As for those new elementals:
What if those simply evolved from either dragonflight-drakes or protodrakes who had been living on the elemental plane for a long time?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Sonneillon Sonneillon is offline

Lord of the
Assassin's League
Sonneillon's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 9,990
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
That something being the protodrakes. At least thats what I've always assumed. They must be called protodrakes for a reason.

As for those new elementals:
What if those simply evolved from either dragonflight-drakes or protodrakes who had been living on the elemental plane for a long time?
I did say Galakrond was a protodragon, I added the last bit to show that its not evolution but titanic engineering.

I agree with you on the second half, we found out dragon eggs were highly acceptable to mutation due to Neather energies. That was recent history no less. So its not a stretch to buy that the elemental planes can also magically effect eggs in the area.

It could be either dragons that served the elementals or their offspring more specifically. This would mean that they were likely traitors to their dragonflights, or specifically one flight.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Thekar Thekar is offline

Ranger
Thekar's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 345

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
The plated proto drakes are normal proto drakes that have been modified by Loken's forces, just that.

As if the proto drakes were originally titan or not, we don't know.

Regarding the stone drakes, well, they're probably the most "wtf?" thing of Deepholm, together with the earthen (wtf are they doing there) and the stone troggs.
The Earthen could have been Wardens of Deepholm tasked by the Titans to ensure the Elemental prison stayed shut. *shrug*
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-21-2010, 07:20 AM
ScytheRexx ScytheRexx is offline

Loremaster
ScytheRexx's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,490

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekar View Post
The Earthen could have been Wardens of Deepholm tasked by the Titans to ensure the Elemental prison stayed shut. *shrug*
Well now that we have learned that the Elemental Plane and Azeroth are intimately connected, so much so that the World Pillar in Deepholme is literally keeping the two planes from chaotically merging, it makes sense the Titan's would have some forces down there to make sure it never gets damaged.

Though that asks many other questions, like why are Troggs down there? And why didn't the Earthen do more to repair the World Pillar once it was broken? You even have to do a bunch of quests for them just to get a chunk of it back rather.

All I can think is that at some point the Earthen down there gained free will, and over time a few of them "degenerated" into the stone Troggs. After both sides became established they started to war with eachother, and the Earthen simply forgot their duty to protect the pillar.

Anyone that has done the quests have more insight on this? I have yet to really read about the questline.

Quote:
I did say Galakrond was a protodragon, I added the last bit to show that its not evolution but titanic engineering.
The way I see it, Galakrond was a proto-dragon that the Titan's engineered to be the supreme "Aspect" of the planet, and the magical forces given to him caused his body to warp and shift. He ended up looking more like the classic dragon form, and went insane with all the power. The Titan's had to destroy him, and were able to find and kill him in the region that would become the Dragonblight.

After destroying him, they realized they couldn't put such powers into one being, so they took his essence and imbued other proto-drakes, causing them to shift into a similar form of Galakrond, and each one was given a part of his powers that they attempted to bestow on him. Thus the Aspects were born. Since the Aspects were tied intimately to Galakrond, all their future children when they were near death found themselves being drawn to his resting place. It was also the proximity to Galakrond that made the Aspects take the abandoned Wyrmrest as their fortress, and create the Sanctuaries and Dragonshrines.

Though, this brings up another old argument, in that were the Aspects the first "dragons" to which all other members of the flight were born, or were other dragons also imbued with the power alongside the Aspects to help them start the flights and take the form of true dragons?

Last edited by ScytheRexx; 10-21-2010 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.