Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 05:12 PM

Elune

Hellblade came out a couple days ago.

Anyone bought it yet? Just seeing if it's worth picking up.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:45 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
SDV's co-op is confirmed to still be in work with an ETA of early 2018.
http://stardewvalley.net/stardew-val...tiplayer-news/
Re:Legend is meeting stretch goals and cranking out updates like crazy.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1951981
Good times for virtual farming fans.
Not to be a smartass, but I've never looked at Sundew Valley (or any Harvest Moon title) and thought: "You know what this game needs? Multiplayer."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post

Alas, I only just saw the trailer for it today. Seems google knows I'm too cheap to look at new releases.

Last edited by Kellick; 08-10-2017 at 07:53 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 04:34 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I can't believe they went through the effort of making an actual Bendy cartoon, considering how small the BatIM team is.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:55 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Starbound is dangerously addictive.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:17 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Starbound is dangerously addictive.
Yep.

I was going through my Steam library to check out which games I hadn't played in awhile, and it turns out I'd clocked over 200 hours of the damned game.

It's actually only edged out by Skyrim, Enter the Gungeon, Fallout: New Vegas and The Binding of Isaac.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:52 PM

Priestess of the Moon

I've been avoiding Starbound for that reason....Don't make me succumb!
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 08-13-2017, 04:02 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Halcyon 6 has a "new and improved" version out now (if you've already bought it, you get it for free).
It's a fun game if your'e into FTL and XCOM and things like that. I just get kind of bored of those games pretty quickly so I never make it very far.
Member #14
Old 08-13-2017, 07:38 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbourean View Post
I've been avoiding Starbound for that reason....Don't make me succumb!
Endorsement. Starbound is a very enjoyable game.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:18 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Are you Ready for Freddy's... Freak Show?

Old 08-18-2017, 07:54 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Halcyon 6 has a "new and improved" version out now (if you've already bought it, you get it for free).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQ52bRgK_Y
It's a fun game if your'e into FTL and XCOM and things like that. I just get kind of bored of those games pretty quickly so I never make it very far.
What a bizarre endorsement for a game.

Anyhow, I picked it up, given that it was already cheap, on sale, not particularly taxing on the ol' PC, and the reviews I read had largely positive things to say about it. The mechanics of it are a little odd, and it took me a little bit to get used to the combat system (whoops, you weren't paying attention and your loadout contains two abilities which exploit vulnerability, but none which inflict it), but overall, I've found it's an enjoyable experience.

I feel the game could benefit from a greater element of randomization, in that from what I can tell, the game always starts the same way, with the same objectives. And while it's entirely reasonable that there is a story component to the game, maybe don' start with every alien race always starting in the same spots, talking to you at preset times, etc.

Still, I'd say it's been an enjoyable game so far.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:36 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post

If you enjoy an immersive experience into schizophrenia, get it. Visuals are top notch, soundtrack is top notch. Combat is poor. Gameplay is mostly "oh god that's awful to suffer through" and puzzles.
It's also only 6 hours but it's one hell of an experience.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:40 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

He's right here, right now!!!

Welcome back, Feltongue.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:57 PM

Arch-Druid

Thanks Nazizzle :*
Point me towards the Discord so we may catch up (if you're available right now).
Old 08-18-2017, 03:26 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
Thanks Nazizzle :*
Point me towards the Discord so we may catch up (if you're available right now).
Does the link in my signature not work anymore?
Old 08-18-2017, 03:34 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Does the link in my signature not work anymore?
I figured it out, I'm just a bit tipsy and still stupid.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:33 PM

World Builder

Hi weirdvoidbird-feltongue, good to see you

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-18-2017, 07:41 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
I figured it out, I'm just a bit tipsy and still stupid.
You know what you should do? Tell us what you had to drink in the booze thread.

I for one, am also rockin' a decent buzz from, so I'll be careful when I head back to do some Minecrafting.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:18 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
What a bizarre endorsement for a game.

Anyhow, I picked it up, given that it was already cheap, on sale, not particularly taxing on the ol' PC, and the reviews I read had largely positive things to say about it. The mechanics of it are a little odd, and it took me a little bit to get used to the combat system (whoops, you weren't paying attention and your loadout contains two abilities which exploit vulnerability, but none which inflict it), but overall, I've found it's an enjoyable experience.

I feel the game could benefit from a greater element of randomization, in that from what I can tell, the game always starts the same way, with the same objectives. And while it's entirely reasonable that there is a story component to the game, maybe don' start with every alien race always starting in the same spots, talking to you at preset times, etc.

Still, I'd say it's been an enjoyable game so far.
Well at least my glowing review got someone to try it and like it. It's a good game, but games of that genre for some reason drop my attention span to that of a gnat.
Member #14
Old 08-19-2017, 06:29 PM

Elune

Not that surprising, but its been officially announced that Mass Effect Andromeda will receive no further single-player updates or content.

Multiplayer will continue but that's about it.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:47 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Not that surprising, but its been officially announced that Mass Effect Andromeda will receive no further single-player updates or content.

Multiplayer will continue but that's about it.
Also, the scrapped Quarian Ark single-player DLC will be adapted into either a comic or novel some time in the future.

That they're not even saving it for a potential relaunch in the future, to me at least, says Mass Effect is well and truly dead.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Also, the scrapped Quarian Ark single-player DLC will be adapted into either a comic or novel some time in the future.

That they're not even saving it for a potential relaunch in the future, to me at least, says Mass Effect is well and truly dead.
At the least its on ice for like half a decade, minimum. And even then I'd expect a reboot.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:50 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
At the least its on ice for like half a decade, minimum. And even then I'd expect a reboot.
Which is a damned shame, since I think the Mass Effect universe is still a pretty interesting one.

But it's probably for the best. Put it away for a while until you can get your a-team on the property and you've got a solid idea of what to do with it. I don't know where things went awry in the process of making Andromeda, but with any luck, they'll got back to the drawing board, figure out what the hell they want out of the property, and give it another go once they've sorted themselves out.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:56 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Be still my heart! The spiritual successor to Zoo Tycoon and Operation Genesis I've waited over a decade for!

Old 08-21-2017, 02:18 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

At long last, I started playing Skyrim back in June.

It's a damn good game. The world-building is much better than I'd been led to believe. You can see how the different pieces fit together, and Bethesda actually paid attention to quotidian but essential details like food production.

I still don't find Skyrim terribly interesting as a setting. We've all seen fantasy Norse a thousand times before. But it's well-done for what it is, and I respect that.

At times, it feels too much like a first-person shooter. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. While I don't mind Morrowind's stat-based combat system, neither will I defend it. I think Skyrim may have over-corrected somewhat.

The biggest pitfall is that the quest lines I've seen simply aren't well-paced or well-written. The main quest has you fight a dragon very early on, and the beast is so easily dispatched that the whole thing feels trivial.

The factions are also kind of bizarre. The Companions insist on being brave and honorable warriors who never sneak. But I used sneaking and magic on a lot of my quests, and none of them ever cared. They even snuck around with me. I didn't much like the enforced lycanthropy either, though it has almost no impact on the game if you choose to ignore it.

Many of the quests are from the MMO playbook. Go here to kill X, collect 5 Y, find item Z, etc. And in fairness, this isn't that different from earlier games in the series, but the player in Skyrim often has fewer options. There were several quests in Morrowind, for instance, that told you to go kill someone—but you could instead choose to warn them and give them a chance to skip town. It's a nice role-playing opportunity. So far, I have not seen that in Skyrim.

Overall, Skyrim's a good game, and I can see why it is so popular. I haven't bought the DLCs, and I'm not sure if I will. Maybe at the next Steam sale. Dawnguard looks kind of interesting. Hearthfire adds the sort of things that I don't really care about, but it's like $4. Dragonborn might be tough for me to play; you have to help Great House Redoran against House Hlaalu remnants, and I don't like working against my people.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 08-21-2017 at 02:25 PM..
Old 08-21-2017, 03:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Which is a damned shame, since I think the Mass Effect universe is still a pretty interesting one.

But it's probably for the best. Put it away for a while until you can get your a-team on the property and you've got a solid idea of what to do with it. I don't know where things went awry in the process of making Andromeda, but with any luck, they'll got back to the drawing board, figure out what the hell they want out of the property, and give it another go once they've sorted themselves out.
Yeah, as soured as 3 made me on the franchise as a whole, I still think it had potential. And they really could've done a better job with Andromeda's alien galaxy aspect. That's what really pissed me off as it was the one thing I was most interested in for Andromeda.

A completely different galaxy that hadn't been guided by the reapers. Who knows what sorts of aliens we'd find! And the aliens are...bootleg lame draenei and rock-collectors. Whee. How do you fuck this up? The kett wouldn't look out of place on the citadel, they were out-aliened by the Vorcha. When the initial ideas were first leaked years back and they were described as "sci fi tech golems", I imagined some weird techno-rock things, not bone-collectors.

The angara also looked kinda lame, at least to me. They have this weird...balloon quality to me, if that makes sense.

If you gotta go to a different galaxy to avoid the knot you wrote yourself into, then go wild. Just...feh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Be still my heart! The spiritual successor to Zoo Tycoon and Operation Genesis I've waited over a decade for!

When a friend described it to me I thought "the hell" but I admit to being curious.

Tags
damn cubes, general thread, literally video games, video games, wololo