Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2014, 01:36 PM

Eternal

Default Most Underrated/Overrated characters in all of fiction

In your mind, who are the most Underrated/Overrated characters in all of fiction. Overrated is when characters get too much praise, underrated is when characters everyone hate you like or feel underappreciated, or got too much hate when they are not altogether that bad.

Overrated:

-Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

-The current generation of MLP

-Lord Voldemort, he does not have the power or capacity to rule the world, so what if he won over Harry Potter, he would not have won in the end as Shotgun>>Wand

-Eponine from Les Mis, I personally like her character and found her tragic and she was more developed than Cosette, who is a very one-note character but this is no reason to ship her with Marius over Cosette as it would invalidate Jean Vaijean's character arc if Cosette was not given someone new to carry on his love and end his burdens.

-Don Draper AND Barney Stinson. Different shows with different tones. Both well acted and shot their actors(Jon Hamm and NPH) to instant fame. One is very compelling and interesting to watch and the other is very funny and fun to watch. However there is a common idea characters are kewl because of sex appeal and how every woman wants to sleep with them, giving women delusions about wanting a Don or a Barney to have their babies in real life. However, would you really want to have these people as your significant other considering they have "commitment issue"? And no I do not care much about Swarkles through we're on same page in regards to the finale.

-Walter White, even if he started off with good intentions, had a lot of sympathy and regained some of this in the end, he's still a terrible person who you can well argue was ultimatly in it for himself and to sate his own ego just because life screws him over

-Sephiroth, Sephiroth, Sephiroth. The killing of Aerith as a tragic moment got too old thanks to it was his sled and frankly everyone knows--so no one cares. Plus Kefka is arguably better villain

-Hodor. He is a good friend to Bran and helped him and is a willing vassel for him, but why is this guy so popular again? And no please don't spoil me the books as I am solely going off the series.

-Elsa from Frozen, overmarketed as hell. I liked Let it Go but why the hell does she have to appear in OUAT just cuz Frozen was so successful? Why not make Snow White daughter's more like the original Snow Queen, maybe with a few quirks and traits from Elsa thrown in but not a full-blown crossover.

-The Tau from WH40K. Yes they come the closest to being "good" but they are still a shithole of a government in our standards They are more open diplomatically in contrast to the shoot first mentality of the Imperium but that dosen't suddenly sweep away all the bad stuff they do.

Underrated:

-Skyler White, but considering who I consider to be overrated, not surprising. I know White Knight/Social Justice warrior mentality aren't looked on well on the internet, and a lot of her defenders fully admit it's "cuz feminism ftw" of so hang me....but how would you like it if your own spouse lied to you? The worst she did was cheat with Ted but this is a world where crimes have included drug dealers and manufacturers killing other drug dealers (usually by shooting, though in one case, by poison), killing innocent bystanders who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and a group of Neo-Nazis who turn Jesse Pinkman into their own slave. Walt has also done worse btw. , his crimes included keeping a drug dealer locked up in Jesse’s basement and watching Jesse’s girlfriend, Jane, die by letting her choking on her own vomit while she was sleeping. Later on in the series, after being hired by Gus Fring, Walter’s crimes have included ordering Jesse to kill Gale (an employee of Gus who was basically an innocent bystander in all this) to ensure their survival, ordering the killing of 10 of Gus’ employees who were in jail after Gus’ death, and poisoning a child and blaming it on Gus to get Jesse back on his side. Yet, I never see anyone object to these crimes as much as anything Skyler has done.

-The Final Fantasy Villains The Emperor, Zemus, and Kuja. Kuja moreso because we all talk about how awesome Kefka was or how awesome Sephiroth was but Kuja took influence from Kefka and was actually pitable figure and it worked. He was an intresting figure and it is intresting seeing his backstory with Zidane and how it tied into the game.

-A lot of characters from the Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon. Key examples include Admiral Trench, Dutchess Satine, Lux Bonteri, Savage Oppress, Mother Talzin, CT-5555/Fives, and quite a few others.

-Also Durge from an EU example, now with the EU fully destroyed no one will remember him. Through to be fair I am glade GL did not have him appear in TCW meaning in his canon he died in Mullinist and did not survive---but that was because Filoni planned into retconning his character A LOT

-Shinji Ikari, he was annoying as hell but.....that's the point of the show

-Katejina Loos from Victory Gundam, psycho bitch but so fun to watch. Mureta Azrael is another example of a complete evil character but fun to watch--but gets underappreciated.

-Jon Irenicus and Saervok were some of the most compelling and interesting game villains. Sarevok served as second in command to his foster father, one of the most devious merchants in the realms, while orchestrating a plot to corner the iron market for the Sword Coast, with his own plans to escalate the tension and suspicions stemming from the manufactured resource crisis to start a war that he believed would prove him a worthy successor to his true father, the now-dead God of Murder Bhaal, and allow him to claim Bhaal's throne, manipulated the player character's party into either killing said foster father or being on hand to be framed for it, allowing Sarevok to assume command of the Iron Throne trading cartel, got himself elected a Grand Duke of the city of Baldur's Gate and arranged the assassination of the others, and aside from finally losing his cool when undeniably exposed as a traitor in the middle of his coronation ceremony and nearly succeeding in assassinating the remaining Grand Dukes himself, he bounced back from every defeat inflicted on the Iron Throne by the player's party, finding some way to use them to his advantage. On top of that, he winds up manipulating the player character again, into restoring him to life, in Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. As for Irenicus, he captures you with little effort, gets himself captured by a powerful organization of wizards just so he can usurp them and make use of their advanced equipment, uses your lust for power and childhood friend as bait to come after him, and very nearly ascends into godhood. And when he dies? He drags you kicking and screaming into Hell with him. The only way you can beat him is by out-bastarding him by sending an army of mad wizards against him the first time around and summoning the avatar of a god the second.

-Ron and Ginny Weasley, poor victims of shipper hate.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul

Last edited by xie323; 08-24-2014 at 01:19 PM..
Old 08-23-2014, 02:01 PM

World Builder

Not enough people know about Rossamund Bookchild from the Monster Blood Tattoo Series.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-23-2014, 02:53 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by xie323 View Post
-Lord Voldemort, he does not have the power or capacity to rule the world, so what if he won over Harry Potter, he would not have won in the end as Shotgun>>Wand
Although I agree Voldemort didn't have what it takes to rule the world, I laugh at your assertion that shotgun>>wand. Only if the guy with the shotgun gets a chance to use it and the guy with the wand isn't paying attention, neither of which need be true if the guy with the wand has half a brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:58 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

The whole misbegotten wizardkind is overrated in HP (and mostly stupid). Sensible mundane parents should just hire tutors.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:25 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
The whole misbegotten wizardkind is overrated in HP (and mostly stupid). Sensible mundane parents should just hire tutors.
What kind of tutors? Stage magicians?

The problem, as I understand it, is not the appalling ignorance of the wizard community. That's only a symptom of the outdated and presently counterproductive measures of the secrecy act. Both communities suffer for their separation, and both would be tremendously advanced by their reunion.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-23-2014, 04:28 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Although I agree Voldemort didn't have what it takes to rule the world, I laugh at your assertion that shotgun>>wand. Only if the guy with the shotgun gets a chance to use it and the guy with the wand isn't paying attention, neither of which need be true if the guy with the wand has half a brain.
Snipers though.

Missiles.

Tanks.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-23-2014, 04:29 PM

Elune

Air planes!
Old 08-23-2014, 04:31 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Snipers though.

Missiles.

Tanks.
Yeah, those are the things that would change the game.

But with only a modicum of creative thinking (admittedly something wizardly brains seem to have in deficit) they could be magically countered.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-23-2014, 04:31 PM

Elune

What if magic has limitations and rules?
Old 08-23-2014, 04:34 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
What if magic has limitations and rules?
What if so do conventional weapons?

If a determined wizard with enough tactical know-how really wanted to, he could take out large swathes of the mundane population without anyone ever realizing what was going on. The key, I think, would be using preexisting national, cultural and religious frictions between mundane communities. Pass the blame, watch the flames.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-23-2014, 04:35 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Yeah, those are the things that would change the game.

But with only a modicum of creative thinking (admittedly something wizardly brains seem to have in deficit) they could be magically countered.
Yeah that's my whole thing.

Magic + Tech will always beat Magic OR Tech alone.

But Separately, Tech is... ironically the quadratic wizard to the magic's "Linear warrior".

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-23-2014, 04:36 PM

Elune

Quote:
What if so do conventional weapons?
They do.
Quote:
If a determined wizard with enough tactical know-how really wanted to, he could take out large swathes of the mundane population without anyone ever realizing what was going on. The key, I think, would be using preexisting national, cultural and religious frictions between mundane communities. Pass the blame, watch the flames.
Like if angels told me to attack Canada that would be legit right?
Old 08-23-2014, 04:37 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Like if angels told me to attack Canada that would be legit right?
Better: Angels plant evidence that undeniably incriminates you in a violent attack on Canadian citizens.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-23-2014, 04:38 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

Gandalf is always overrated. Superman is underrated.
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:40 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufin View Post
You know who are underrated?

Alatar and Pallando.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-23-2014, 04:52 PM

Elune

Overrated
  • The Doctor
  • Batman
  • The God Emperor
  • Ponies
  • Kratos
Old 08-23-2014, 05:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufin View Post
Que?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Que?
Old 08-23-2014, 05:22 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Jesus. What a fucking presumptuous mary sue.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:39 PM

Elune

The Punisher.

Every time there's a vigilante in fiction who kills somebody and there's THAT GUY who goes "He's like a XYZ Batman!" I cringe.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:42 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

I awlays thoguht Zelos Wilder from Tales of Symphonia was underrated, then again i'm a sucker for the ole' false Judas trope.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Eternal

All of the companions in the modern Doctor Who series are overrated, boring, fuckwits.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Overrated
  • The God Emperor

Dru, you mean Punisher is over or under?
Old 08-24-2014, 01:11 PM

Eternal

Overrated:
-Batman
-Star Wars: Palpatine, Han Solo, Revan, Starkiller, Vitiate
-Asoiaf: Daenerys Targeryan
-Harry Potter: Ginny Weasley, Hermione Granger/Weasley()
-Lord of the Rings: Aragorn, Legolas(thanks to PJ)
-Dragon Ball: Vegeta, Goku and to a lesser extent, Gohan. I would have put Gohan as the most overrated if he hadn't lost appeal in the Buu saga.

Underrated:
-Legacy of Kain: Vorador(among the fandom), everyone in the series outside of the fandom seem to be too little known.
-Dragon Ball: Piccolo
Harry Potter: Ron Weasley(thanks to the movies I'd bet)
Star Wars: Count Dooku
Old 08-24-2014, 01:18 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Vitiate
Why? No one cares about him and think he is just poor palpatine expy.

And Ginny is underrated because just look at the HHR shippers all over the fandom!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul

Tags
characters, literature