Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-09-2014, 10:54 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshadowz View Post
WoD makes portalling between planets/demensions and time periods no big deal. I don't think they can fuck it any worse.
Khadgar's portals are probably piggybacking off the Dark Portal. We know destroying it doesn't actually do anything, the rift remains.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:12 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
Khadgar's portals are probably piggybacking off the Dark Portal. We know destroying it doesn't actually do anything, the rift remains.
They have access to Naaru, Velen, the Bronze Dragon Flight, and more.

The orcs' building the Dark Portal was the Manhattan Project for them.

Now they have access to Mister Spock, Q, the Time Lords, and Geordi LaForge to help them.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:01 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshadowz View Post
WoD makes portalling between planets/demensions and time periods no big deal. I don't think they can fuck it any worse.
I used to think that regarding the casual use of Time/Alternative timelines in-game and in novels.

WoD proved they CAN fuck it worse.

Don't tempt fate, my friend.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:59 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Phipps View Post
So...

1. What did you guys like about War Crimes?

2. What did you DISlike?
At first I was like ''omg Sylvanas is in it! <3''

and then...
Old 10-10-2014, 02:44 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
At first I was like ''omg Sylvanas is in it! <3''

and then...

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 10-10-2014, 03:19 PM

Warden

What did I like?

In general, I liked the fact that Garrosh's story got expanded on in retrospect. You get a good sense of who the guy is, why he does what he does, and also why he chose to double down on all the actions he has. You also get the sense of why he refuses to repent and that he'd rather die on his feet as opposed to saying he's sorry.

You never quite gather why Garrosh is such a racist ******* but, honestly, I can't tell why people are racist in real-life so maybe it's just a thing which happens. I also like the parallels between Anduin and Garrosh with the former being someone who had the courage to go his own way while Garrosh is someone who always was chasing the dream of a nonexistent father.

I actually liked Sylvanas in this version as Christie Golden manages to explain her perspective, even if it's not something a lot of fans would agree with. Sylvanas is basically Kerrigan at this point but not the warm fuzzy one from the new version (bleah) but the full-on Zerg one. I also liked how Vereesa was made so much more than Rhonin's wife and it's easy to see the two sisters as parallel. As Sylvanas descends further into madness, so does Vereesa turn back.

Wrathion was also a character I very much enjoyed the manipulations of, because if there's one thing I like about the Black Prince, it's the fact he's actually got no idea what the **** he's doing. This quality was brought out well.

I also am very glad Jaina turned back from her warmongering path. Except, this is like, what the third time she's done that?

What I didn't like

The trial is sort of, well, ridiculous.

Garrosh doesn't dispute any of the charges. Everyone knows the charges are real. So what, exactly, are they debating during all of this? If this is a sentencing hearing then it would have been nice to have the August Celestials acknowledge this. However, neither the Alliance or Horde really offer a dispute about what they want from it. Both sides want him dead and about the only dispute is which side wants to kill him.

Tyrande attempting to turn the Garrosh trial into "orcs are bad, m'kay" was just bizarre and a little out of left field. Who exactly is she trying to convince here? The Celestials? Good luck with that. The Alliance? They know already. The Horde? No. It also is such a bizarre divergence from what the trial is actually about that it makes no real sense except as an epic, "why you suck" to the orcs in the audience. It also doesn't make her look very smart given she summons no less than three witnesses who talk about how they think the Horde is better than Garrosh.

Plus, she summons an orc who refused to serve Garrosh because he's a childkiller.

That was schizophrenic.

Forcing poor Baine to defend his father's killer is bad enough. However, I'm really not so much sure what he was hoping to accomplish. I get, in general, he's trying to make the Horde not suffer for Garrosh's sins but the fact Garrosh refuses to even talk to Baine makes it a kind of bizarre situation. I really think we needed a discussion with Garrosh and Baine to clear the air but we never got that. There's a lot of powerful emotions which never get discussed one way or the other.

As mentioned, I'm not a big fan of the Jaina Proudmoore plotline in the book as well. It's hard to come back from the messianic force for GoodTM she was being reduced to a person who voluntarily advocates for the murder of children at Dalaran while her male counterparts go "tut, tut, tut, you females and your EMOTIONS."

The situation gets written better here as Kalegcos is, at least, a character I like. He also doesn't judge her so much as state he can't be with her when she's frothing at the mouth over the Horde. While I wish we'd had a female character able to talk to Jaina about her rage, I think that's a bit of gender politics which is my own personal bugbear rather than a fault of the author.

Last edited by Charles Phipps; 10-10-2014 at 03:50 PM..
Old 10-10-2014, 03:36 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

That book is fucking terrible. It's just Blizzard thinking they can write politics and deep stories. I just ignore it and pretend Garrosh escaped on his way to Pandaria.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:55 PM

Arch-Druid

TvTropes implied that the point was to see if the heroes could be tested.
Secret Test of Character: The whole trial is an intentional test of Garrosh's character, since his guilt is completely unquestionable. It's also a test for those who want to condemn him. He fails, they pass.
Everyone Has Standards: No one wants to see Garrosh walk away a free man. The point of the trial was to see if the leaders of the Horde and the Alliance could be moved to mercy for such a deplorable being.

With Garrosh they actually imply he DOES feel remorse. He doesn't want to admit it though
Old 10-16-2014, 09:00 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
TvTropes implied that the point was to see if the heroes could be tested.
Secret Test of Character: The whole trial is an intentional test of Garrosh's character, since his guilt is completely unquestionable. It's also a test for those who want to condemn him. He fails, they pass.
Everyone Has Standards: No one wants to see Garrosh walk away a free man. The point of the trial was to see if the leaders of the Horde and the Alliance could be moved to mercy for such a deplorable being.

With Garrosh they actually imply he DOES feel remorse. He doesn't want to admit it though
TV Tropes is just what fans see.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:03 PM

Eternal

Watching videos is now a test.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:15 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
TV Tropes is just what fans see.
It is but the Celestials just flat out said the trial was them testing the younger races and never intended to execute Garrosh.

I really wanted to smack Chen for getting them involved.

Tags
garrosh, garrosh is a war criminal, jaina, war crimes