Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-12-2014, 01:02 PM

Owl Scout
BattleTag: Brobocop#2250

WarCraft 3 B.net Eyeball I wanna get into the lore.But where do i begin??:S

Ok so the title pretty much says it all.I started playing WoW bout a month ago and im so interested into getting into the lore!But its massive and i dont even know where to start.Im assuming the books?But then what order do i read them in there are quite a few.So tell me..how do i go about learning the wow lore?Anything.Books,comics,manga..w/e it is just list me an order in to wich i will read them or play them in.Thanks in advance for your time
Old 10-12-2014, 01:08 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Tome of Experience

You should check out WoWpedia, its the Wikipedia for Warcraft lore. Or if you want to buy a book, the Ultimate Visual Guide is a good introduction to Warcraft's characters and setting.

Also you should check out this summary that was put up on the official website, it takes you through all of the major events in the series.

Last edited by Shaman; 10-12-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Old 10-12-2014, 01:10 PM

Elune

Buy Warcraft 3 and it's expansion. Most of what happens in WoW was caused by the events of WC3.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Ranger

Don't get into WoW lore at all. Read Warhammer or watch Game of Thrones- then maybe, Warcraft lore if you know what is good for you.

Take your time and simply enjoy it.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:17 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

When reading books, keep in mind that the newer publications are more canon than the older ones, so reading them in a chronological might not always be the best idea.

I'd start by simply reading the things Shaman mentioned and buying books only if they deal with themes/lore you're really interested in. The other publications can wait till you're sure that investing money into Warcraft lore is woth it.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:25 PM

Owl Scout

alright i already own the warcraft 3 and frozen throne expansion since i was a kid so i guess i'll start there.I also found out that a friend of mine has the Rise Of The Horde book.But i dont really know if thats the right book to start with.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:25 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Save yourself now before you bitch endlessly about shit like lamp-posts that can't, won't and will not ever matter on some forum with other braying jackasses.

Do it, go read a real book, or throw your life away on a sloppy mess.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraiseTheSun View Post
alright i already own the warcraft 3 and frozen throne expansion since i was a kid so i guess i'll start there.I also found out that a friend of mine has the Rise Of The Horde book.But i dont really know if thats the right book to start with.
It tells the story of how the orcish Horde came to be so yes it's good book to start with.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:35 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
It tells the story of how the orcish Horde came to be so yes it's good book to start with.
With WoD's Draenor apparently being mostly the same as how the original one was supposed to be, Rise of the Horde now occupies a weird level of correctness.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:37 PM

Owl Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
Don't get into WoW lore at all. Read Warhammer or watch Game of Thrones- then maybe, Warcraft lore if you know what is good for you.

Take your time and simply enjoy it.
Quote:
Save yourself now before you bitch endlessly about shit like lamp-posts that can't, won't and will not ever matter on some forum with other braying jackasses.

Do it, go read a real book, or throw your life away on a sloppy mess.
What the hell is up with these? I thought the Wow lore was awesome.I don't really care about other peole complaining about stuff.They do it with mists of pandaria too,but i still play that and i enjoy it quite abit by ignoring the people bitching about it all day.I dont care about that as long as i like something.And so far the lore seems pretty good to me(i know just some basics..the blood pact,well of eternity that kinda suff)
Old 10-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Elune

Quote:
What the hell is up with these? I thought the Wow lore was awesome.I don't really care about other peole complaining about stuff.They do it with mists of pandaria too,but i still play that and i enjoy it quite abit by ignoring the people bitching about it all day.I dont care about that as long as i like something.And so far the lore seems pretty good to me(i know just some basics..the blood pact,well of eternity that kinda suff)
Just ignore it.

From a chronological perspective you could:

-Read Rise of the Horde
-Read The Last Guardian
-Read the WoWpedia articles for summaries of WC1 and 2.
-Read Lord of the Clans
-Play WC3 and TFT

Here's a better chronological order of WC stuff
Old 10-12-2014, 01:45 PM

Owl Scout

Ok so it's decided I'll read rise of the horde and start playing WC3/TFT.Looking forward to actually understanding and being able to take part in these discussions here in these forums cause so far none of those posts make any sense to me
Old 10-12-2014, 01:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
Ok so it's decided I'll read rise of the horde and start playing WC3/TFT.Looking forward to actually understanding and being able to take part in these discussions here in these forums cause so far none of those posts make any sense to me
Also, many characters from Rise of the Horde are part of the new expansion Warlords of Draenor. Most of them as villains. They come from an alternate timeline so their origins differ compared with what's said in that book. Just a caution so you don't get confused as hell. Ignore the animated Lords of War videos, and the character bios from the official website. Read the old material first.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:51 PM

Owl Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Also, many characters from Rise of the Horde are part of the new expansion Warlords of Draenor. Most of them as villains. They come from an alternate timeline so their origins differ compared with what's said in that book. Just a caution so you don't get confused as hell.
Oh don't worry i already know most of the WoD story.That what made me wanna get into the lore in the first place.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:55 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
I was once like you, wide eyed, full of hope, bristling with expectations of the franchise. The lore is evidently and on record stated, not the focus and at best, something to be ignored.

But don't take my word for it, 10 years from now you will also be a cynical jackass full of regret, look back on this post and know you were warned.

As you will not heed said warning, I also recommend reading the Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 lore for perspective from the instruction manuals which are available on PDF online. Especially before playing Warcraft 3 and TFT. While WoW might give you plenty of retroactive idea about the story and world, knowing the set up for the time helps. Many of us are stuck in the past, so we tend to refer to stuff that as I said earlier can't, won't and will not ever matter ever ever ever again, like Lordaeron.

Never ever read anything from the RPG, disregard.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 10-12-2014 at 01:57 PM..
Old 10-12-2014, 01:55 PM

Elune

Cool then. Just wanted to make sure. WoD's plot is hosed as hell for a newcomer.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:04 PM

Owl Scout

Quote:
I was once like you, wide eyed, full of hope, bristling with expectations of the franchise. The lore is evidently and on record stated, not the focus and at best, something to be ignored.

But don't take my word for it, 10 years from now you will also be a cynical jackass full of regret, look back on this post and know you were warned.

As you will not heed said warning, I also recommend reading the Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 lore for perspective from the instruction manuals which are available on PDF online. Especially before playing Warcraft 3 and TFT. While WoW might give you plenty of retroactive idea about the story and world, knowing the set up for the time helps. Many of us are stuck in the past, so we tend to refer to stuff that as I said earlier can't, won't and will not ever matter ever ever ever again, like Lordaeron.

Never ever read anything from the RPG, disregard.
Ok so you're pretty much saying the lore GOT bad?If so that means the lore that was created few years ago is still good so i can still enjoy that at least yea? ;D
Old 10-12-2014, 02:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
Ok so you're pretty much saying the lore GOT bad?If so that means the lore that was created few years ago is still good so i can still enjoy that at least yea? ;D
You can enjoy that, forever compare all the future bad (read; all) lore and realise how much the franchise has gone down hill.

Have fun.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:09 PM

Owl Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
You can enjoy that, forever compare all the future bad (read; all) lore and realise how much the franchise has gone down hill.

Have fun.
Yea so what? I asked where to start so obviously im gonna start with the early stuff and go up from there.If the new stuff is so bad all i have to do is stop.And i'll be left with knowledge of the good old lore.Btw i don't know if that's what you're referring to but i really like the WoD story..i don't see whats bad about it.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:12 PM

Elune

The key to Warcraft is ignoring what anyone else says and form your own opinion. Whether you enjoy it or not is up to you.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:31 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Honestly, being part of a forum like this is sort of the problem, most online communities are toxic, everyone as gripes and soapboxes to loudly voice their opinion, you will slowly realize how crappy things are that you could ignore, not notice or gloss over. Voicing your own ideas about the lore also becomes harmful because you think deeply about the potential of things and realize how terribly squandered and ill-fulfilled it is.

Warcraft in general is sort of a "Too many cooks spoil the broth" situation presented not in the medium where you expect soup but instead they are trying to bake it into a loaf of bread. The bread being the fact it's an MMO and it's not entirely conductive to telling a story or designing a world. Warcraft in general has much to love about it, it's basically forged from geeky fans of geeky stuff throwing things into a melting pot and turning up shlock pulp fun, however, that melting pot, in my soup metaphor, it turns out they ended up baking a large loaf of weevil filled hardtack. It's sort of disappointing if you expected soup and instead got crackers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
The key to Warcraft is ignoring what anyone else says and form your own opinion. Whether you enjoy it or not is up to you.
You also left out ignoring writers you don't like, quests you don't like, plotlines you don't like, generally most of the aspects of stuff that will become more and more apparent the deeper you go. Just keep munching on and ignore the constant reminders theres bugs crawling around inside your mouth with what could have been, and what you assumed was going to be soup.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 10-12-2014 at 03:18 PM..
Old 10-12-2014, 02:32 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
The key to Warcraft is ignoring what anyone else says and form your own opinion.
Including ignoring Blizzard Entertainment.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:45 PM

Echo of the Past

Battle.net has the current lore versions of past games. Here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/the-story-of-warcraft/chapter1

Of course, like Sonneillon, I'm going to recommend the past game manuals. This part of wowpedia helps: http://wowpedia.org/Manual#Warcraft_Manuals

In these very forums, you can ask questions in the Novice Sanctuary. You probably already saw it on the page, but here: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4587

We love to whine and complain, but we also love to show off our knowledge. So ask anything you like. When I came to these forums with no knowledge of anything after Frozen Throne (and a few misconceptions from that period as well), these people caught me up in no time.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:49 PM

Elune

Quote:
You also left out ignoring writers you don't like, quests you don't like, plotlines you don't like, generally most of the aspects of stuff that will become more and more apparent they deeper you go. Just keep munching on and ignore the constant reminders theres bugs crawling around inside your mouth with what could have been, and what you assumed was going to be soup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Including ignoring Blizzard Entertainment.
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

New guy, SoL is a poisonous community. If you truly want to enjoy Warcraft, stay far away from here.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Warden

Please ignore everyone here and pay attention to me because I am an all-wise figure and incredibly self-centered.

My recommendation is as follows:

Youtube

* I suggest you watch the cutscenes from Warcraft 3 and the Frozen Throne expansion. These are very good melodrama and I think you'll find they hold up reasonably well, story-wise even if not graphically.

Comics

World of Warcraft: The Comic: The comic book is quite entertaining and reads well on its own. You'll enjoy the story, I'm sure even if it is a bit silly at times.

The Sunwell Trilogy: A manga-style epic which is one of the best stories put out for Blizzard. I very much enjoyed it. I bought both the smaller version and the hardcover.

Ashbringer: A somewhat over-condensed story which still works on its own of paladins falling from grace and rising again.

Novels

Lord of the Clans: The story of Thrall is one of the most important ones in all of WOW and it is a great bit of, again, high fantasy. The story of a slave who would be Warchief. Liberator and Greenskin. Thrall started the "not evil orc" movement.

Arthas: Rise of the Lich King: A great supplement or even substitute, even if I don't recommend it is this novel by Christie Golden. It will explain the origins and history of Warcraft's most iconic villain.

If you want to know the entire past of the Pre-WOW universe then I recommend you read (in order): Rise of the Horde, The Last Guardian, Tides of Darkness, and Beyond the Dark Portal

This should catch you up on Warcraft lore enough to appreciate later stuff:

The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm
Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects
Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War
War Crimes

Are all great novels (well, except for War Crimes) but make no damn sense if you're unfamiliar with the above stuff.

As for everything else? I'd ignore it.

Last edited by Charles Phipps; 10-12-2014 at 03:00 PM..

Tags
i am the lore, lore