Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-31-2010, 06:46 AM

Ranger

Could it not just be a reused model? And as for the Goldrinn thing, I thought the orcs would have learned his legend off the tauren/trolls.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 AM

Eternal

well they are called flayers aswell

http://cata.wowhead.com/npc=42808
Old 08-31-2010, 07:27 AM

Eternal

Why aren't the Draenei against arcane magic, like the Night Elves are? Wouldn't their use of it make them easier for the Burning Legion to track?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 AM

Arch-Druid

Draenei have known arcane magic from their roots as Eredar, and have maintained it as an iconic cultural element alongside their worship of the Light.

Using arcane doesn't necessarily draw the attention of the legion, but reckless or corrupt use of it does. That was why the Legion wasn't drawn back to Azeroth until after the High Elves taught Humans magic.

Night Elves are (or at least used to be) very dogmatic and rigid. That and the fact that the use of magic had more catastrophic results for them made them ban it completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Wouldn't their use of it make them easier for the Burning Legion to track?
Hasn't that ship sailed already as far as Azeroth is concerned?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
Hasn't that ship sailed already as far as Azeroth is concerned?
I think he was referring to the many years the Draenei spent hiding from the legion, hopping from world to world.

As gentle as 10 rock hard inches of lore can be.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:40 PM

Glaive Thrower

Simple question with an 'apparent' simple answer...

Whats the difference between Blood Elves and High Elves?
Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranil View Post
Simple question with an 'apparent' simple answer...

Whats the difference between Blood Elves and High Elves?
Mostly cultural. Actually physical/genetic differences are debated. I'm of the opinion that blood elves are the green orcs to the high elves' maghar, but like I said, its debated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 08-31-2010, 07:11 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I'm of the opinion that blood elves are the green orcs to the high elves' maghar, but like I said, its debated.
I haven't heard the analogy before, but that's not inaccurate.

High Elves, in some unexplained manner, escaped the backlash of magical starvation that the Blood Elves suffered after the destruction of the Sunwell. That's what distinguishes them at the basic level.

Quote:
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:44 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid View Post
I haven't heard the analogy before, but that's not inaccurate.

High Elves, in some unexplained manner, escaped the backlash of magical starvation that the Blood Elves suffered after the destruction of the Sunwell. That's what distinguishes them at the basic level.
It is explained. The blood elves were gathered mainly from the survivors on the attack on Silvermoon and thus faced a much more dire situation, leaving them more open to Illidan's suggestion of consuming demonic magic. The remaining high elves were away at the time and had no Kael to lead them to Outland and no Illidan to give them demons to suck on, so they were forced to deal with their addiction through endurance and meditation.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid View Post
High Elves didn't escape the backlash, they just found other ways of dealing with it like meditation and using Moonwells and Sunwell Rings (akin to Nicontine Patches).
Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Why aren't the Draenei against arcane magic, like the Night Elves are? Wouldn't their use of it make them easier for the Burning Legion to track?
The draenei have been using arcane magic since long before the Legion existed. They are masters of it. They've harnessed arcane magic in ways no other society could hope to. They've transcended the four laws of arcane magic, because it bathed them so as a race for so long.

As far as the Legion being able to track them, this is discussed in "Rise of the Horde" when the narrator mentions that Kil'jaeden's spies would detect traces of the dreanei's magic, but when the full might of the legion arrived on the planet, they would be gone. The naaru have ways of either masking the draenei's presence (the ata'mal crystals) or tipping them off to the impending attack (Velen's prophetic visions).

The reason the draenei have been able to use magic and remain free of corruption is because of the mastery they've developed since they were eredar (pre-Legion) and because of the gifts that the naaru have bestowed upon them as a people.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
The draenei have been using arcane magic since long before the Legion existed. They are masters of it. They've harnessed arcane magic in ways no other society could hope to. They've transcended the four laws of arcane magic, because it bathed them so as a race for so long.

As far as the Legion being able to track them, this is discussed in "Rise of the Horde" when the narrator mentions that Kil'jaeden's spies would detect traces of the dreanei's magic, but when the full might of the legion arrived on the planet, they would be gone. The naaru have ways of either masking the draenei's presence (the ata'mal crystals) or tipping them off to the impending attack (Velen's prophetic visions).

The reason the draenei have been able to use magic and remain free of corruption is because of the mastery they've developed since they were eredar (pre-Legion) and because of the gifts that the naaru have bestowed upon them as a people.
Tyrande Whisperwind: And that is why, my sisters and brothers, only the power of ELUNE, and NATURE itself can be considered TRUE power. Meddle with the Arcane, and a similiar fate to that of Illidan, the betrayer, awaits you!!!

Random Draenei mage: Tch, n00b.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 PM

Elune

I still want to know how Kil'jaeden's spies and the Legion followed the draenei. We know the draenei had naaru ships but what did the demons use to travel? Every planet the draenei went to had a Higborne-type people on it who clumsily opened portals for Sargeras?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:07 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
I still want to know how Kil'jaeden's spies and the Legion followed the draenei. We know the draenei had naaru ships but what did the demons use to travel? Every planet the draenei went to had a Higborne-type people on it who clumsily opened portals for Sargeras?
Well, it's always possible the draenei themselves by using magic sent just enough arcane emanations across the Twisting Nether to eventually draw Talgath's attention, at which point the Legion could start corrupting native races on those worlds and getting them to grant its armies access.

Plus, the Naaru vessels - being dimensional ships - cross the Twisting Nether when they travel from place to place, and therefore could have also left behind detectable traces of arcane energies that might have led Talgath to each world, as the Legion's forces seem to inhabit or at least regularly traverse the Nether when they're not actually invading specific worlds.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:16 PM

Elune

Question

Quote:
Well, it's always possible the draenei themselves by using magic sent just enough arcane emanations across the Twisting Nether to eventually draw Talgath's attention, at which point the Legion could start corrupting native races on those worlds and getting them to grant its armies access.

Plus, the Naaru vessels - being dimensional ships - cross the Twisting Nether when they travel from place to place, and therefore could have also left behind detectable traces of arcane energies that might have led Talgath to each world, as the Legion's forces seem to inhabit or at least regularly traverse the Nether when they're not actually invading specific worlds.
Wouldn't the draenei know that they are just helping the eredar chase them by using arcane magic though? That is the thing. Every planet has a native race that is corruptible?

How did the naaru think they could escape the Burning Legion if the Burning Legion could just follow their trail? Was it going to be a life of just running for the draenei or what? Did the naaru not know these things?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:07 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else get a little disheartened by things at Blizzcon and other places where the Horde would always get a bigger applause from the audience, or hearing a lot of the big people at Blizzard shouting things like "For the Horde!". I'm not talking about anything in the game, I mean outside of it. Like it's nearly every week a CM or someone takes a shot at Gnomes. And things like people essentially being told to wait for a supposed Legion expansion before hearing from the Draenei again.

I'm not saying that there's some secret conspiracy or anything to trash the Alliance, it just doesn't seem as "loved" ... if that makes sense.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:17 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else get a little disheartened by things at Blizzcon and other places where the Horde would always get a bigger applause from the audience, or hearing a lot of the big people at Blizzard shouting things like "For the Horde!". I'm not talking about anything in the game, I mean outside of it. Like it's nearly every week a CM or someone takes a shot at Gnomes. And things like people essentially being told to wait for a supposed Legion expansion before hearing from the Draenei again.

I'm not saying that there's some secret conspiracy or anything to trash the Alliance, it just doesn't seem as "loved" ... if that makes sense.
It's really no secret that the Horde is Blizzard's pet faction with Metzen and Samwise stating their love for the Horde over and over. You even get Samwise egging people on in Blizzcon to shout "For the Horde" and make fun of Gnomes.

It's also no secret that Horde are the more favored faction in the fanbase.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 AM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrmKing View Post
It's really no secret that the Horde is Blizzard's pet faction with Metzen and Samwise stating their love for the Horde over and over. You even get Samwise egging people on in Blizzcon to shout "For the Horde" and make fun of Gnomes.

It's also no secret that Horde are the more favored faction in the fanbase.
God forbid the developers not keep their personal preferences top secret.

I honestly doubt they have any control over how many people from which faction go to Blizzcon though.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
God forbid the developers not keep their personal preferences top secret.

I honestly doubt they have any control over how many people from which faction go to Blizzcon though.
It's just a little saddening when a lot of their personal preferences is of the same faction.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:01 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

The horde is made up of mostly loud, brutish cultures. Shouting "for the horde" is encouraged in-game, and I think that spills over into real life. By contrast, the Alliance is more about being... somewhat, I don't know, reserved. Players who prefer the alliance (like me) are, I believe, less inclined towards boasting or other boorish displays of allegiance. We don't need to yell "GLORY TO THE ALLIANCE" at the top of our lungs, we just give eachother a nod and a handshake like respectable individuals.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
They can influence which faction becomes more popular by showing preferential treatment to said faction and mock the other.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:23 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
The horde is made up of mostly loud, brutish cultures. Shouting "for the horde" is encouraged in-game, and I think that spills over into real life. By contrast, the Alliance is more about being... somewhat, I don't know, reserved. Players who prefer the alliance (like me) are, I believe, less inclined towards boasting or other boorish displays of allegiance. We don't need to yell "GLORY TO THE ALLIANCE" at the top of our lungs, we just give eachother a nod and a handshake like respectable individuals.
Horde = Obnoxious children

Alliance = Responsible adults
Old 09-02-2010, 10:50 PM

Elune

Question

Although the reason for Sargeras going crazy isn't known, why haven't others gone crazy battling demons who just return from death and undead who can just be resurrected. You would think that non-undead, non-demon forces would be losing any wars at least by attrition even if they are great at strategy or have a larger number of troops.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:02 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
Although the reason for Sargeras going crazy isn't known, why haven't others gone crazy battling demons who just return from death and undead who can just be resurrected. You would think that non-undead, non-demon forces would be losing any wars at least by attrition even if they are great at strategy or have a larger number of troops.
Because most beings that battle demons either, A, aren't immortal or B, do other things like have entire societies while also fighting the demons. Sargeras' job was basically demon fighting 24/7 for all eternity with occasional breaks to fight old gods.

Tags
isn't taran zhu dead?, lore, newbie, where are illidans pants