Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrmKing View Post
Uh no. Just because it's a Horde meme to make fun of Gnomes doesn't mean many other people don't like 'em.
Why does it have to be a Horde meme to dislike a largely afterthought race? Are you saying that the majority of Alliance players like Gnomes?

Not sure why I asked this. We can't empirically determine it at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded Chikn View Post
Night Elf paladins imo
Gnome Hunters IMO. And I don't mean the Orc hunters that stalk newbie gnomes.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 AM

Eternal

IMHO Alliance needs MORE Gnomish technology permeating their culture, the way Goblins are kind of arming the Horde. I'm not saying more Steam Tanks or Airships, I'm saying more lightspeed monorails, fireworks that rain hamburgers, and weird ghostbuster technology versus undead. I think a space race to the Blue Child in Winterspring would be perfect.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 AM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
IMHO Alliance needs MORE Gnomish technology permeating their culture, the way Goblins are kind of arming the Horde. I'm not saying more Steam Tanks or Airships, I'm saying more lightspeed monorails, fireworks that rain hamburgers, and weird ghostbuster technology versus undead. I think a space race to the Blue Child in Winterspring would be perfect.
I was thinking more like those healy pads they had in the Gnome starting area.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:01 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Night Elf paladins imo
I AM surprised that the Horde has 1 more shaman race than the alliance has paladin races in Cata. I'd heavily support either night elf paladins or Worgen paladins. Frankly, I don't understand why there aren't worgen pallies, now knowing what we know about gilnean culture and the light. The only explanation I can give is that, for whatever reason, paladins never caught on in Gilneas and they closed their wall too soon, but even so, that's a stretch.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
I was thinking more like those healy pads they had in the Gnome starting area.
Yeah, the weaponry and vehicular technology kind of goes without saying. But confining Gnomish advances to primarily war effort developments is somewhat boring and isn't emblematic of the goofy, optimistic, shoot-for-the-stars kind of creativity you'd need to differentiate it from the somewhat malevolent, explosive, self-indulgence of the Goblins.

Actually imagining how that kind of creativity and innovation might manifest in WoW is the challenge. I mean, what's to stop the Gnomes from coming up with a way to radically extract Blight from Southshore or Andorhal? What's to stop Gnomes from building a domed city on the ocean floor in Vash'jr or 10K Needles? I'd love for Winterspring to become a heavily Gnome influenced zone, dude to its proximity to Azshara, the snowy landscape is like Dun Morogh's, the Highborne ruins and Mazthoril would attract the magically-inclined, and it could feature a ton of Santa Claus references with Gnomes and Elves getting confused and a sleigh being pulled by eight hippogriffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I AM surprised that the Horde has 1 more shaman race than the alliance has paladin races in Cata. I'd heavily support either night elf paladins or Worgen paladins. Frankly, I don't understand why there aren't worgen pallies, now knowing what we know about gilnean culture and the light. The only explanation I can give is that, for whatever reason, paladins never caught on in Gilneas and they closed their wall too soon, but even so, that's a stretch.
A dissection of Worgen Classes is really strange, and I think in this case, it was Worgen Paladins or Worgen Warlocks. Warlocks kind of go hand in hand with Mages within Human cultures, so that's not much of a stretch. Paladins are much more lore-heavy, but it's less of a leap in logic for Worgen than Tauren or Blood Elves. Still, they needed a limit of 8 to be on par with Goblins. Including both classes would have left us with Goblin Paladins, since Goblin Druids would have broken the internet.

I suppose the corruption of Gilneas could have eliminated Mages, but if we claim corruption, how then would Priests or Paladins existed? Or if Hunters were eliminated, the connection to the Grizzly Hills Wolfcult would have been more tenuous. Ultimately, Paladins ARE the most popular class in the game. Reducing their novelty this expansion is a Good Thing.

As for lore, this is my solo-lore: Paladins are Paladins first, and citizenry after. If all Paladins in Lordaeron were members of the Silver Hand, they would be compelled by their conscience and philosophy to leave Gilneas and confront the Scourge before the Wall was built. Or was the Wall built before the Scourge? In any case, Paladins of the Silver Hand would have not agreed with a policy of isolationism and left before the wall was built. Their order see themselves as the police of Azeroth, not of any one country or people.

That might all change or fade away if they add more class/race combinations in future expansions. Worgen Paladins and Blood Elf Druids!

Last edited by Urth; 09-07-2010 at 09:30 AM..
Old 09-07-2010, 09:53 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Quote:
Uh no. Just because it's a Horde meme to make fun of Gnomes doesn't mean many other people don't like 'em.
Its not a horde meme.

Quote:
like?
Anything really. Or at least make them less comical.

Last edited by Ded Chikn; 09-07-2010 at 09:55 AM..
Old 09-07-2010, 10:09 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid View Post
Why does it have to be a Horde meme to dislike a largely afterthought race? Are you saying that the majority of Alliance players like Gnomes?
Actually yes, the majority of Alliance players like Gnomes.

Quote:
Its not a horde meme.
Oh yes it is.

Quote:
Anything really. Or at least make them less comical.
Goblins are way more out there in terms of comedy.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Actually yes, the majority of Alliance players like Gnomes.
I had already submitted that you can't really prove this, but at least tell me what your basis is?

Quote:
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
I had already submitted that you can't really prove this, but at least tell me what your basis is?
Base on me playing mostly (95%) Alliance and most people I've come across with don't hate Gnomes?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 AM

Eternal

I'll go on the record saying I like Gnomes and want more Gnomishness in my Warcraft. I think Twofootfury would agree with me, so you've got 2. That's a start.

And being comical isn't a bad thing. I think you're reducing the levity and lightheartedness of Gnomes to what you're describing as a "joke race". I don't have anything to say about your view of WoW except that it's ordinarily narrow. Have some fun.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 AM

Elune

Quote:
Base on me playing mostly (95%) Alliance and most people I've come across with don't hate Gnomes?
Well, I dont think Ive ever played with a single person who has liked gnomes, and in the 5 years Ive played Ive only had 1 horde toon.

So looks like anecdotal evidence is just as useful here as it is anywhere.

Blizzard seems to have a hard on for female gnome warriors though...
Old 09-07-2010, 10:30 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Well, I dont think Ive ever played with a single person who has liked gnomes, and in the 5 years Ive played Ive only had 1 horde toon.
Not the first time Horde meme spreads over to weak-minded Alliance players saying anything to make them sound cool. Chuck Norris and Saurfang jokes infects Alliance trade chats like it does Horde.

And really? So everytime you group up with people you all just start talking about how much you hate gnomes? I think you're just making stuff up here.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
And being comical isn't a bad thing. I think you're reducing the levity and lightheartedness of Gnomes to what you're describing as a "joke race". I don't have anything to say about your view of WoW except that it's ordinarily narrow. Have some fun.
Comedy is certainly not a bad thing, and is one of the biggest things that differentiates Warcraft from similarly themed universes (especially Warhammer). I enjoy funny things in WoW just as much, if not moreso, than the next guy.

I'm not sure you were commenting toward me or not, but my chief dispute against Gnomes is mostly with their "fill in the lore blank" design as playable characters, not that they're a joke race. I've covered this in another thread so I'll leave novice sanctuary alone with this.

Quote:
And really? So everytime you group up with people you all just start talking about how much you hate gnomes? I think you're just making stuff up here.
About as plausible as you chatting up everyone you come across in game if they like (or at least don't hate) gnomes, I would say.

Quote:
Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 AM

Eternal

Not you Rashid. You're actually one of the better contributors to SoL in recent months. I do agree with your assessment of the writing of Gnomish "lore" and touchstones. Part of me likes the that Gnomes are somewhat ambivalent toward their origins and present troubles, they just kind of roll with it and make lemonade by the gallon. But another part of me wishes their curiosity, creativity and competitive natures was expanded upon and pushed into a central theme of their adventures to experience.

I've come up with tons of Gnome-y things that, I feel, wouldn't take away from the overall tone of Azeroth but would enhance the Gnomes' interaction with the Alliance, the world, and the player.

I've forgotten what this thread was supposed to be about, but I'd be interested in changing the subject to something less upsetting.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:51 AM

Priestess of the Moon

The argument about gnome popularity/hate seems pretty pointless unless it's accompanied by attempts at retrieving polling numbers.

Without offering some kind of semi-reliable data, how do you expect to convince someone else that your experience is more common than theirs?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Man, I really need to get back to that webcomic me and Handclaw were planning.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:08 AM

Elune

Quote:
Not the first time Horde meme spreads over to weak-minded Alliance players saying anything to make them sound cool.
Since you are obviously taking this to heart and lowering yourself to insults I shall feed it no more.

Quote:
I've come up with tons of Gnome-y things that, I feel, wouldn't take away from the overall tone of Azeroth but would enhance the Gnomes' interaction with the Alliance, the world, and the player.
If engineer was a class rather then a profession, it would fit gnomes perfectly. Id actually play that even.

Im glad they are getting more lore, they needed it. My biggest issue with them has been them being out of place. Vagabonds squatting in the dwarves living room. Similar to the trolls, but at least they had storylines and history.

And that effing 'squeek' noise. Actually everything about their voices makes me want to jam a screwdriver in my eardrums.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havard View Post
The argument about gnome popularity/hate seems pretty pointless unless it's accompanied by attempts at retrieving polling numbers.
Well if you look at this population survey, we can see that, at least according to this poll, Gnomes are in fact the second least popular race as evidenced by player selection. Dwarves are actually narrowly less numerous.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:32 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Man, I really need to get back to that webcomic me and Handclaw were planning.
And the podcast...
Old 09-07-2010, 12:56 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
About as plausible as you chatting up everyone you come across in game if they like (or at least don't hate) gnomes, I would say.
I play Horde very little and I've come across more Blood Elf hate for no reason in trade chats, party chats, with no provocations whatsoever. At least I never hear people talk shit about Gnomes in Alliance channels, party chats, and what not.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Elune

I guess we'll have to take your anecdotal evidence as bare-faced truth, then. Presenting factual data is only for people trying to actually prove a point.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:20 PM

Arch-Druid

It is a statistical fact that most Horde players like Blood Elves. No other Horde race is close in popularity, and generally speaking, people don't play a character they hate.

This is aside from the fact that no one was talking about Blood Elves, but it should tell you something about the reliability of trade chat spam as a measure of the WoW majority.

I asked for your basis because I was curious as to why you thought, and stated as fact, that most Alliance players liked Gnomes. If it's the same measure by which you've determined that most players hate Blood Elves, then I guess I have my answer.

Quote:
Old 09-07-2010, 02:42 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I'll admit, the only reason I made a gnome was that they were the only Alliance race that could have warlocks and weren't humans. But I'd be lying if I said I haven't grown to like them. I, personally, can't wait for the Alliance graphic novel, because assuming Brink (that Gnome Rogue from the comic Special) shows up, we might actually get a major gnome character that isn't comic relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-07-2010, 02:55 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
It is a statistical fact that most Horde players like Blood Elves. No other Horde race is close in popularity, and generally speaking, people don't play a character they hate.
That's because to casual players of the game, they are the prettiest. But hardcore Horde players tend to trash talk Blood Elves a lot. I barely hear anything from other Alliance players about Gnomes.

Not to mention, only Horde race that can be Paladins.

Quote:
This is aside from the fact that no one was talking about Blood Elves, but it should tell you something about the reliability of trade chat spam as a measure of the WoW majority.
And yet I rarely see Alliance people talk bad about Gnomes in trade and general or even the forums.

Quote:
I asked for your basis because I was curious as to why you thought, and stated as fact, that most Alliance players liked Gnomes. If it's the same measure by which you've determined that most players hate Blood Elves, then I guess I have my answer.
Then maybe you should spend a little time on the Alliance side or other forums besides this one?

Tags
isn't taran zhu dead?, lore, newbie, where are illidans pants